As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of Ruin] Diablo, on the go!

TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
285px-HeroesOfRuin.jpg
Release Date: 07/17/2012

What is Heroes of Ruin?
Heroes of Ruin is an action role-playing game in which the player battles various enemies such as snipers, beasts, and fencers.

The game uses both StreetPass and SpotPass technology. Using StreetPass, players can use a feature called "Traders Network", and trade items with other players. In the shop, players can sell items for points, which can be used to buy items which would otherwise be unobtainable. Using SpotPass, players can complete daily challenges for a year after release. The community website will allow players to keep track of their completed challenges, and find even more challenges to complete.

The story of Heroes of Ruin follows four mercenaries who are attempting to find a cure for the ruler of the city of Nexus, who is dying from a curse. The heroes can either create an alliance or adventure separately. There are many strange and dangerous creatures in the land, including the evil force behind the curse, which the heroes eventually confront.

Heroes of Ruin Connectivity Features:
With Heroes of Ruin it was important to us to take full advantage of the 3DS's online features, such as StreetPass and SpotPass. We feel that we've done this pretty successfully, what with the game's drop-in, drop-out co-op play, as well as the Trader's Network and daily challenges. Read on as we tell you a bit more about each of these unique features.

Co-op:
Heroes of Ruin features full, four-player co-operative play, both online and locally. The system we've implemented is incredibly simple to use. When you start playing, simply decide whether you would like to play on your own, with friends or with randoms. You're also able to specify the maximum party size and whether people can connect to you via the Internet or, alternatively, using a local connection with friends in the same room.

Once this is done, players from all around the world are able to see your game and jump straight in with their own characters. Any loot and experience they gain whilst adventuring with you can be taken back into their single-player game or any other co-operative games that they play in the future.

There's no waiting in lobbies. Players will simply appear in their game while you're playing and, once they've had enough, they will leave with just as little fuss.

Throughout your co-op experience, you'll also be able to take advantage of full voice chat between you and your allies. If you're in the same room, this is obviously not required, but when playing online it can be vital for arranging strategies and tactics during combat.

Individual players can be silenced and your own microphone can be muted, if you're feeling shy and/or fancy a bit of quiet.

Trader's Network:

The Trader's Network is a shop that exists in the city of Nexus. It is separate from the class-specific vendors and contains weapons and armour which are gathered via the 3DS' StreetPass functionality. Items that you collect in Heroes of Ruin, but choose to sell on rather than equipping, are added to your Trader's Network list. The twenty best of these items will be passed on to any other Heroes you encounter in the real world via StreetPass and added to their Trader's Network. Likewise, their twenty best items will be added to yours.

By utilising the Trader's Network you can gain access to rare loot without having to wait for it to be dropped by that very specific enemy… as long as someone you know (or a stranger in the street!) has found and sold it already.

Daily and weekly challenges:

Heroes of Ruin will feature daily downloadable challenges. These will be added to the Quest Menu in the game automatically each day. Check out the list below for a few examples of the challenges we have planned.

Kill 5 Razorfin Tiburs within an hour

Level -up 5 times in Seaside Catacombs while playing as a Vindicator

Sell 10 items that equal at least 1500 gold playing as Alchitect

Kill 10 enemies with charged attacks

Find 100 gold, find 2 pieces of body armor, use 3 health potions, and use up 20% energy

These challenges disappear after a day (though a few will stick around for a week), so you’ll need to keep checking into the game regularly to keep up. When completed, each one will contribute towards the XP Bar on the Heroes of Ruin website, as well as giving you Valor in-game. This can be spent at a special vendor in the city of Nexus to buy very special loot.

The weapons and equipment available through this are more powerful than anything else you'll find in the game. In order to obtain the best of these, you'll need to take part in a lot of these challenges, so there's a huge amount of incentive to keep playing. Especially since we have at least a year's worth of these challenges planned already.

Hopefully we've succeeded in our quest to really take advantage of the 3DS' online features. Let us know what you think!

Heroes of Ruin at Metacritic - http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/heroes-of-ruin

Heroes of Ruin Official Site - http://heroesofruin.com/

Heroes of Ruin Forums - http://forums.heroesofruin.com/

Heroes of Ruin Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/HeroesOfRuin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6URDLg6LDNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYI8pE1lC8U

Triiipledot on

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So excited for this game. My friend already claimed the gunslinger. I'm debating on the magic user.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    Have this pre-ordered and expect to have fun with it.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The decision to buy this game rests solely on one factor: Does it have a Club Nintendo card in it?

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    What's that?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    The decision to buy this game rests solely on one factor: Does it have a Club Nintendo card in it?

Doubtful. I've never seen them on Square-Enix games in the past.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Well 3DS is the first time they've offered 3rd party Club Nintendo participation in the US and this will be one of the first SE games on the platform...

• Options
    edited May 2012
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I can't imagine a worse set of screenshots to promote a game!

The resolution is way too high, making the game look like it's got worse geometry and textures than will be noticed in actual gameplay. They're also compression artifacted to hell.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Looks good to me considering its 3DS, i wasnt expecting PS Vita looking game with a dungeon crawler.

• Options
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Looks like a simple fun game.

• Options
    I told myself I would wait for reviews but assuming all the mentioned features are in and functional, I think $30 is worth it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Can't wait for this game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Preordered. Can't really beat 25% off before it's even on sale.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Do they say how long that deal will be up?

• Options

Do they say how long that deal will be up?

I don't see anything. Free shipping too, but only standard shipping so I don't know if that's "release day" or if I'll be waiting a week while everyone else is playing. Either way, they don't charge your card until it ships, so that's good. It does say it'll ship 6/26, but the game doesn't release until July 17.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Looks like the delay until July is confirmed

https://www.facebook.com/nSpaceInc/posts/10150913903869099
    A note to our valued Heroes of Ruin fans and supporters...

We share your excitement as we build toward the release of Heroes of Ruin, one of the most ambitious titles yet developed for the Nintendo 3DS! The game's multiplayer experiences, voice chat, daily challenges and other features will provide an unprecedented Nintendo 3DS experience.

Because there are so many features within Heroes of Ruin that are new to Nintendo 3DS games, we've worked closely with Square Enix and Nintendo to deliver the highest quality experience. These collaborative efforts have ensured you'll play a uniquely enjoyable and well supported game.

With development now completed, we look forward to Heroes of Ruin debuting in Europe on June 15 and North America on July 17. While the game's rollout will take slightly longer than previously announced, we know your time in the World of Veil will be all the better for it.

Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to crossing paths with you soon in Nexus!

- Dan / n-Space

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    They can delay it another year if they want if it means a less clunky framerate.

• Options
    I still didn't pick it up for $30.

• Options
    Heroes of ruin fb page just posted that the demo is now available on eshop.

• Options
    Heroes of ruin fb page just posted that the demo is now available on eshop.

In Europe.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dammit they didn't specify on it.

• Options
  • Options
    That looks damn fun.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Give us a NA demo!

• Options
    Considering the fact that the game comes out in the next couple weeks in Europe and late next month in NA, we'll most likely get a demo a week or 2 before the game comes out.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    Demo was fun. Tried out the gunslinger. I like how they have setup some of the button shortcuts like having the option to auto equip or auto sell an upgrade while its on the floor. Its very easy to just get on and play with. Camera limitations sometimes hinder you and it can all feel a bit claustrophobic at times. Gameplay is fun though. Will definitely pick this up.

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm getting more and more hyped for this. I have played the demo a few times, but I can't wait to get a real character going.

Any idea how long the single player game is going to be?

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Camera does seem pretty zoomed in but hey, whatever it takes to get it running on the system and still look decent. I imagine they have to account for the possibility of tons of junk lying all over the place, players herding enemies into groups etc. and don't want the frame rate to go to hell.

I'm up for a portable Torchlight with online play, chat and daily quests.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It has come to my attention via that Amazon is offering the pre-order of Heroes of Ruin for $29.99, compared to $39.99 at most other retailers.

http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Ruin-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B0050SVKRY

• Options
    It has come to my attention via that Amazon is offering the pre-order of Heroes of Ruin for $29.99, compared to $39.99 at most other retailers.

Great, I already have it preordered at ToysRUs for the same price, but will Amazon get it to me faster?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Great, I already have it preordered at ToysRUs for the same price, but will Amazon get it to me faster?

They'll get it to you for free shipping :P And probably still faster :)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Seems like some people in Europe already have it.

God I hope this game DOES NOT have worldwide play...

• Options
    TRU had free shipping too.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

Release date shipping?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Release date shipping?

Does Amazon? They don't do it for all games, do they?

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Release date shipping?

Does Amazon? They don't do it for all games, do they?

They're doing it for Heroes of Ruin, though I'm not sure if it's just for Prime Members.

http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Ruin-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B0050SVKRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339620688&sr=8-1

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular

How am i supposed to play with PA peeps then? D:

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    The Mantiz wrote: »

How am i supposed to play with PA peeps then? D:

I thinks its more of a "these people will be uber geared" by the time US get it. Hopefully you can restrict levels or something when creating a game.

• Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    I played the demo. I'm not into Diablo/Torchlight kinda things, but I can imagine this being enjoyable for people that do. Seems competently put together, the graphics are nice.

Gone.