Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

HBO - Game of Thrones; we talk about all the e[p]isod[e]s and [n]one of th[i] novel[s]!

OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, this dude...
346732.jpg

...George R.R. Martin, wrote a so-far unfinished series of books called A Song of Ice and Fire. We have a thread meant for discussion of those books; it is located here.
This thread is separate and apart from that thread.

This thread's purpose is to discuss, in alternating turns, the cinematography, direction, and writing of the show- and the sexual attractiveness of its major characters.

So...........
hbo-iphone.jpg

New episodes are Sunday evenings on HBO!

---

For several reasons- including a rash of spoilery conversation, and the upcoming conclusion of this season in the next couple weeks, which I expect to exacerbate reason one- I think that it's necessary to append this warning to the thread.

This thread is for discussing Game of Thrones, the television show currently airing weekly on HBO. While the show is based on a popular series of books, these discussions are not to be joined in this thread; their narratives are not to be melded or connected in any way... not explicitly, and not allusively. I am not a moderator, and so every time this basic rule is ignored, I have to bug one of the appointed moderators. Not every moderator has read the books, either. Please understand that by ignoring the premise of this thread- its parameters, I mean- you inconvenience not only newcomers to the show but me and the moderators on this forum.

There is no ambiguity or vagueness or leeway. If you find yourself going 'well, it'll probably be ok in the TV thread...', post it in the book thread to be safe. Please. This is a matter of basic courtesy, and because of repeated eschewals of these warnings, it is now a matter of mod agitation.


Note that while book talk is still verboten, television conversation is considered uninhibited. All TV going-ons will- once they're aired- be regarded as common knowledge. Don't start reading until you've seen the episode!





BATTLE OF THE BLACKWATER,

TYRION'S HANDSOME,

I WANNA FUCK YGRITTE,

OH MAN I LOVE APPLE PRODUCTS,

TUUUUUUUNE IN SUNDAY AAAAAH

ElJeffe on
XMSODhjrer45.gif
«134567115

Posts

  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Most recent episode opinions:
    Spoiler:
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I don't even get why they're fighting.
    Joffrey's a lil bitch. He has no place in the fight.
    Tyrion's got shit to do preparing for the city's defense. Why try to divert his attention?

    Tyrion was pretty clearly relishing the idea of Joffrey right in the middle of battle.
    Which is really pretty logical. If Joff dies bravely defending the city it's pretty much the best possible outcome, as far as Tyrion's concerned.

    The nice son would become next in line then, right?

    Correct. Tommen, then either Myrcella or Stannis, depending on Westeros' view of gender. I think the only place we have confirmation is in the North it would be Myrcella (Robb's got a Lady in one of his war councils in season one).

    That woman is from Bear Island, which is special. In the north, women aren't generally considered viable heirs.

    But there is somewhere where they are, but I don't think they've mentioned it in the show yet so I'll keep my mouth shut.

    Ok, I haven't read the books so I'm not counting this as a spoiler because it's a guess but I'll spoiler it anyway. I just want to call it for if/when it's revealed
    Spoiler:

    PoultryGeist on
    R6ptMQk.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Gingerbread MuffinsRegistered User regular
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    The promo



    For the most epic night of TV that will ever be.

  • BandableBandable Registered User regular
    Regarding Cat and Jaime, the option that no one seems willing to mention is clearly the one she should of taken, let Karstark kill Jaime. All other options are much worse, and grasping for the slightest chance of seeing her daughters again is not worth letting him go free.

    Make no mistake, that is what Cat did. Sure he is in shackles now, but in Kingslanding they come off, and Cat should have no reason to believe that she will be getting anything back beyond Brienne's head. Not after what happened to Ned.

    Jaime has shown that he is simply too expensive to keep as a prisoner. Sure when they took him he was going to be an exchange, but once he killed Karstark's son he proved that it will cost more to keep him alive for trade than whatever they would get for him. And keep in mind, a prisoner exchange is something that will have to happen at a much more stable time, where both armies are able to do it together, since again, they have no reason to think that they can trust the Lannisters.

    Now, we can talk about how Cat was just being a mother and made a mistake, but this goes beyond anything reasonable. She should know better. She shows all the time that she should know better. There is a point where it stretches belief that she would be that stupid and this is one of those times. Grabbing Tyrion and putting her husband and daughters in jeopardy in the first place is another.

  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bandable wrote: »
    Regarding Cat and Jaime, the option that no one seems willing to mention is clearly the one she should of taken, let Karstark kill Jaime. All other options are much worse, and grasping for the slightest chance of seeing her daughters again is not worth letting him go free.

    Make no mistake, that is what Cat did. Sure he is in shackles now, but in Kingslanding they come off, and Cat should have no reason to believe that she will be getting anything back beyond Brienne's head. Not after what happened to Ned.

    Jaime has shown that he is simply too expensive to keep as a prisoner. Sure when they took him he was going to be an exchange, but once he killed Karstark's son he proved that it will cost more to keep him alive for trade than whatever they would get for him. And keep in mind, a prisoner exchange is something that will have to happen at a much more stable time, where both armies are able to do it together, since again, they have no reason to think that they can trust the Lannisters.

    Now, we can talk about how Cat was just being a mother and made a mistake, but this goes beyond anything reasonable. She should know better. She shows all the time that she should know better. There is a point where it stretches belief that she would be that stupid and this is one of those times. Grabbing Tyrion and putting her husband and daughters in jeopardy in the first place is another.

    The main thing to remember is that Cat and Ned and, frankly, the rest of the Realm have all been living in a time of stability where honor and authority seem to mean something. It's a huge scandal when Joffrey doesn't take the diplomatic approach to dealing with the Starks, or when the Lannisters just kill the king when their secret is about to get outed.

    People just don't realize that the Lannisters give no fucks about honor or authority. Tywin has spent his entire life building up the Lannisters' credibility, financial network, alliances, and an army of psychotics for the purpose of unleashing living hell on anyone who fucks with his family.

    Against most lords, Ned and Cat would probably have been more successful, is what I'm saying. The Lannisters eat those lords for breakfast. Hear Me Roar!

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Bandable wrote: »
    Regarding Cat and Jaime, the option that no one seems willing to mention is clearly the one she should of taken, let Karstark kill Jaime. All other options are much worse, and grasping for the slightest chance of seeing her daughters again is not worth letting him go free.

    Make no mistake, that is what Cat did. Sure he is in shackles now, but in Kingslanding they come off, and Cat should have no reason to believe that she will be getting anything back beyond Brienne's head. Not after what happened to Ned.

    Jaime has shown that he is simply too expensive to keep as a prisoner. Sure when they took him he was going to be an exchange, but once he killed Karstark's son he proved that it will cost more to keep him alive for trade than whatever they would get for him. And keep in mind, a prisoner exchange is something that will have to happen at a much more stable time, where both armies are able to do it together, since again, they have no reason to think that they can trust the Lannisters.

    Now, we can talk about how Cat was just being a mother and made a mistake, but this goes beyond anything reasonable. She should know better. She shows all the time that she should know better. There is a point where it stretches belief that she would be that stupid and this is one of those times. Grabbing Tyrion and putting her husband and daughters in jeopardy in the first place is another.

    The main thing to remember is that Cat and Ned and, frankly, the rest of the Realm have all been living in a time of stability where honor and authority seem to mean something. It's a huge scandal when Joffrey doesn't take the diplomatic approach to dealing with the Starks, or when the Lannisters just kill the king when their secret is about to get outed.

    People just don't realize that the Lannisters give no fucks about honor or authority. Tywin has spent his entire life building up the Lannisters' credibility, financial network, alliances, and an army of psychotics for the purpose of unleashing living hell on anyone who fucks with his family.

    Against most lords, Ned and Cat would probably have been more successful, is what I'm saying. The Lannisters eat those lords for breakfast. Hear Me Roar!

    On the other hand, their subjects are ripping the arms off Lannister allies in the streets and half the world is raising an army against them. Doesn't seem like pissing everyone off is a good long-term strategy.

  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    Bandable wrote: »
    Regarding Cat and Jaime, the option that no one seems willing to mention is clearly the one she should of taken, let Karstark kill Jaime. All other options are much worse, and grasping for the slightest chance of seeing her daughters again is not worth letting him go free.

    Make no mistake, that is what Cat did. Sure he is in shackles now, but in Kingslanding they come off, and Cat should have no reason to believe that she will be getting anything back beyond Brienne's head. Not after what happened to Ned.

    Jaime has shown that he is simply too expensive to keep as a prisoner. Sure when they took him he was going to be an exchange, but once he killed Karstark's son he proved that it will cost more to keep him alive for trade than whatever they would get for him. And keep in mind, a prisoner exchange is something that will have to happen at a much more stable time, where both armies are able to do it together, since again, they have no reason to think that they can trust the Lannisters.

    Now, we can talk about how Cat was just being a mother and made a mistake, but this goes beyond anything reasonable. She should know better. She shows all the time that she should know better. There is a point where it stretches belief that she would be that stupid and this is one of those times. Grabbing Tyrion and putting her husband and daughters in jeopardy in the first place is another.

    The main thing to remember is that Cat and Ned and, frankly, the rest of the Realm have all been living in a time of stability where honor and authority seem to mean something. It's a huge scandal when Joffrey doesn't take the diplomatic approach to dealing with the Starks, or when the Lannisters just kill the king when their secret is about to get outed.

    People just don't realize that the Lannisters give no fucks about honor or authority. Tywin has spent his entire life building up the Lannisters' credibility, financial network, alliances, and an army of psychotics for the purpose of unleashing living hell on anyone who fucks with his family.

    Against most lords, Ned and Cat would probably have been more successful, is what I'm saying. The Lannisters eat those lords for breakfast. Hear Me Roar!

    On the other hand, their subjects are ripping the arms off Lannister allies in the streets and half the world is raising an army against them. Doesn't seem like pissing everyone off is a good long-term strategy.

    Humans, as a general rule, aren't the best at long-term strategy.

  • HamurabiHamurabi Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    So there was a line in yesterday's episode that I didn't quite get. It went something like:

    "Great rangers never get old, and neither do the shit ones. Some of the average ones last a long time."

    Why would great rangers never get old? Would they get promoted?

  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So there was a line in yesterday's episode that I didn't quite get. It went something like:

    "Great rangers never get old, and neither do the shit ones. Some of the average ones last a long time."

    Why would great rangers never get old? Would they get promoted?

    The great ones always die in the line of duty.

    You have to be good enough not to make stupid mistakes, but not quite so good that you'd lay down your life for the cause.

    Dracomicron on
    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    Ned was killed, but that was a rash act by Joffrey that would never have been sanctioned by Tywin, by Cersei, by Jaime, or by Tyrion.

    Given that Tyrion is in power in KL, I don't think you can completely dismiss the possibility of a legitimate exchange of hostages. After all, all the noble families have to honor hostage exchanges because there is always possible one day you or a child of yours might be a hostage and you need the trust in that old institution.

    The reason it hasn't happened so far is that Robb and his men didn't feel that 2 young girls were enough to get in return for Jaime Lannister, not that they didn't believe in hostage exchanges. So you can argue whether Catelyn was wise to make that deal. But I don't think you can really get on her for believing in the deal.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Most recent episode opinions:
    Spoiler:
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I don't even get why they're fighting.
    Joffrey's a lil bitch. He has no place in the fight.
    Tyrion's got shit to do preparing for the city's defense. Why try to divert his attention?

    Tyrion was pretty clearly relishing the idea of Joffrey right in the middle of battle.
    Which is really pretty logical. If Joff dies bravely defending the city it's pretty much the best possible outcome, as far as Tyrion's concerned.

    The nice son would become next in line then, right?

    Correct. Tommen, then either Myrcella or Stannis, depending on Westeros' view of gender. I think the only place we have confirmation is in the North it would be Myrcella (Robb's got a Lady in one of his war councils in season one).

    That woman is from Bear Island, which is special. In the north, women aren't generally considered viable heirs.

    But there is somewhere where they are, but I don't think they've mentioned it in the show yet so I'll keep my mouth shut.

    Ok, I haven't read the books so I'm not counting this as a spoiler because it's a guess but I'll spoiler it anyway. I just want to call it for if/when it's revealed
    Spoiler:

    Jaime explained who she is, basically, in the last episode.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    tumblr_m4b33g3FF11qhns3bo1_500.jpg
    Spoiler:

  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »

    The reason it hasn't happened so far is that Robb and his men didn't feel that 2 young girls were enough to get in return for Jaime Lannister, not that they didn't believe in hostage exchanges. So you can argue whether Catelyn was wise to make that deal. But I don't think you can really get on her for believing in the deal.

    Considering that it seemed to be making that choice or letting Robb's men kill Jaime. I'd say she made the right choice. A dead Jaime would have been useless. Now the way she went about executing the deal....may leave something to be desired (we'll see).

  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    So normally when I'm waiting for a new episode I like to pick apart and critique the previous episode.

    This week, however, is pure anticipation. I can't be bothered to think up critiques to last last week's episode! Any time spent thinking about Game of Thrones must be devoted entirely to being psyched about next week.

  • AtomikaAtomika Merry Christmas your arse I pray God it's our lastRegistered User regular
    S2E8 impressions:


    The Good:
    - Robb's arc is progressing nicely. He's becoming the hero Westeros may not deserve, but the one they need (and desperately). His scenes with the nice lady from Volantis are this show's best romance, and the sex scene was both this shows hottest and most tasteful.
    - Also, good play with Robb standing up to his mom and calling her out on her erratic selfishness in front of witnesses. I'm glad this show finally has one character with authority that's willing to acknowledge there might be something worth fighting for than personal honor and insult.
    - The scenes with Bronn, Tyrion, and Varys were crackling; it's an interesting point of view on these three figures who are all intelligent men being forced into a situation looking increasingly dire, all of them wondering how to best remove themselves it.
    - Oh my god! Stannis and Davos! They ARE on this show! Character development and all!
    - Tonks am teh smart.
    - WHO'S FUCKING SKULL WAS THAT?!


    The Bad:
    - While her scenes were mercifully short, they only served to underline how little Danaerys has had to do this season. Almost no movement on her story this week except possibly a burgeoning and super gross romance with Jorah. I'm not even sure why she was in this episode. We've gone many episodes with complete omission of certain characters (like, uh, Stannis), so her presence being missed here would actually be less jarring that the little bit we were given. Not a big deal, but jarring still.
    - A weird tonal shift on Cersei's part this week. I think had it not been juxtaposed against last week's show of her humanity and empathy in dealing with Sansa, her sudden turn into sadism and torture wouldn't seem so bizarre and clumsy, but there it is. Also, her plan also doesn't do anything to help her. "If Joffrey gets hurt or killed in battle, I'll kill your girlfriend." Well, that'll bring Dead Joffrey back, eh? No. No it won't. You're an idiot, and I hope you die.


    The Questionable:
    - Why show us the scenes with Brienne and Jaime? We learned nothing. A complete waste of time. We still have no idea what deal or terms Catelyn made with Jaime, and everything we saw in that scene could have been summed up in a later scene, or the scene could have been more informative. Not good.
    - As well, a curious bit of the writers creating a false mystery by Arya planning an escape for her, Smithy, and Pig-Baby. A lot of time spent on the details of the escape, no information on what her plan is, where she's heading, why she would bring someone along with no discernible skills that would drag them down (ol' Tubby), or what's going to happen to Jaqen after he murders all of his cohorts in the patrol.



    Overall, a pretty good episode, but I must admit some apprehension in the fact that only two episodes remain while so many threads are left dangling. I'm very aware that the finale may not tie everything up, but I won't find much satisfaction if the show forgoes narrative escalation and just keeps kicking cans the road. Season One was brought to an organic climax, for the most part, so my fingers are crossed that at least the central narrative will be significantly resolved or redirected.

  • CreamstoutCreamstout Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    HBO released 2 new trailers, the next episode is going to be epic.
    Spoiler:

    Creamstout on
    Hearthstone:Pub#1592
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So there was a line in yesterday's episode that I didn't quite get. It went something like:

    "Great rangers never get old, and neither do the shit ones. Some of the average ones last a long time."

    Why would great rangers never get old? Would they get promoted?

    Really? You never heard the saying, "“There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots?"

  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    - As well, a curious bit of the writers creating a false mystery by Arya planning an escape for her, Smithy, and Pig-Baby. A lot of time spent on the details of the escape, no information on what her plan is, where she's heading, why she would bring someone along with no discernible skills that would drag them down (ol' Tubby)

    Because she's not a horrible human being?


    Alternative Answer: This isn't "The Walking Dead".

    Egos on
  • AtomikaAtomika Merry Christmas your arse I pray God it's our lastRegistered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    - As well, a curious bit of the writers creating a false mystery by Arya planning an escape for her, Smithy, and Pig-Baby. A lot of time spent on the details of the escape, no information on what her plan is, where she's heading, why she would bring someone along with no discernible skills that would drag them down (ol' Tubby)

    Because she's not a horrible human being?


    Alternative Answer: This isn't "The Walking Dead".

    I'm pretty sure I saw zombies.

  • HamurabiHamurabi Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    So there was a line in yesterday's episode that I didn't quite get. It went something like:

    "Great rangers never get old, and neither do the shit ones. Some of the average ones last a long time."

    Why would great rangers never get old? Would they get promoted?

    Really? You never heard the saying, "“There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots?"

    The line is obvious a takeoff on that old idiom, but the pilot one is just saying that reckless people who do dangerous things for a living / often don't last very long. The Night's Watch thing adds a third dimension -- ostensibly, that a "great" ranger will lay down his life at the drop of a hat in the name of duty.

  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    - As well, a curious bit of the writers creating a false mystery by Arya planning an escape for her, Smithy, and Pig-Baby. A lot of time spent on the details of the escape, no information on what her plan is, where she's heading, why she would bring someone along with no discernible skills that would drag them down (ol' Tubby)

    Because she's not a horrible human being?


    Alternative Answer: This isn't "The Walking Dead".

    I'm pretty sure I saw zombies.

    Ok it's not "The Walking Dead"....yet

    On a different subject. From the above trailer, are we thinking that Stannis will send "sacrificial troops" to the MudGate,as a diversion, where they will be promptly wildfire-d while he sends the bulk of his troops to breach the walls at another locale? Hence Tyrion's little "something is amiss" look at 1:05 of the first trailer.

  • HamurabiHamurabi Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    - As well, a curious bit of the writers creating a false mystery by Arya planning an escape for her, Smithy, and Pig-Baby. A lot of time spent on the details of the escape, no information on what her plan is, where she's heading, why she would bring someone along with no discernible skills that would drag them down (ol' Tubby)

    Because she's not a horrible human being?


    Alternative Answer: This isn't "The Walking Dead".

    I'm pretty sure I saw zombies.

    Ok it's not "The Walking Dead"....yet

    On a different subject. From the above trailer, are we thinking that Stannis will send "sacrificial troops" to the MudGate,as a diversion, where they will be promptly wildfire-d while he sends the bulk of his troops to breach the walls at another locale? Hence Tyrion's little "something is amiss" look at 1:05 of the first trailer.

    Knowing about the wildfire, you or I might think ahead and anticipate something in response to Stannis going for what everyone knows is the weakest point of entry to King's Landing... but Stannis doesn't know about the wildfire. In his position, one might just assume they'll have more men than normal defending it, trying to compensate for its structural weakness relative to the other gates. Stannis might just figure he can take whatever losses he incurs as the cost of getting inside King's Landing.

  • BandableBandable Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Ned was killed, but that was a rash act by Joffrey that would never have been sanctioned by Tywin, by Cersei, by Jaime, or by Tyrion.

    Given that Tyrion is in power in KL, I don't think you can completely dismiss the possibility of a legitimate exchange of hostages. After all, all the noble families have to honor hostage exchanges because there is always possible one day you or a child of yours might be a hostage and you need the trust in that old institution.

    The reason it hasn't happened so far is that Robb and his men didn't feel that 2 young girls were enough to get in return for Jaime Lannister, not that they didn't believe in hostage exchanges. So you can argue whether Catelyn was wise to make that deal. But I don't think you can really get on her for believing in the deal.

    Yeah, Cat has shown that she really thinks Tyrion is an honorable person... Wait, no, she thinks he has already tried to kill one of her sons.

    Sorry, this is ignoring major facts about the series and Cat to make her look better. The fact of the matter is, she hates the Lannisters and doesn't think that they can be trusted. She has also shown that at least certain lords, such as Greyjoy, are not deserving of trust in a very similar situation. I can't see why we should believe she thinks the Lannisters are any more trustworthy.

    Again, she did nothing but significantly help her enemies for the slimmest chance that she might one day see her daughters again. And again, from Robb's men's point of view the deal isn't Jaime for the girls anymore, it is Jaime, Karstark's son, and anyone else he manages to kill before they can trade him for the girls. This ignores the fact that they will then have to fight Jaime again, on a future battlefield, something we have been given the impression does not have a high chance of success.

    Ned was killed by a rash act of Joffery, which he had plenty of armored men willing to obey. Maybe Tyrion can convince him to return the girls, but I can see Cersei being against that as well, if nothing else to spite Tyrion. Returning the girls really doesn't get them much. Jaime can lie and say he escaped, it is doubtful he would still be in chains by the time he made it to the castle anyways, having been picked up by patrols. He can tell them that the Starks aren't to be trusted after they killed his poor cousin and that the girls still have use as hostages.

  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    - As well, a curious bit of the writers creating a false mystery by Arya planning an escape for her, Smithy, and Pig-Baby. A lot of time spent on the details of the escape, no information on what her plan is, where she's heading, why she would bring someone along with no discernible skills that would drag them down (ol' Tubby)

    Because she's not a horrible human being?


    Alternative Answer: This isn't "The Walking Dead".

    I'm pretty sure I saw zombies.

    Ok it's not "The Walking Dead"....yet

    On a different subject. From the above trailer, are we thinking that Stannis will send "sacrificial troops" to the MudGate,as a diversion, where they will be promptly wildfire-d while he sends the bulk of his troops to breach the walls at another locale? Hence Tyrion's little "something is amiss" look at 1:05 of the first trailer.

    Knowing about the wildfire, you or I might think ahead and anticipate something in response to Stannis going for what everyone knows is the weakest point of entry to King's Landing... but Stannis doesn't know about the wildfire. In his position, one might just assume they'll have more men than normal defending it, trying to compensate for its structural weakness relative to the other gates. Stannis might just figure he can take whatever losses he incurs as the cost of getting inside King's Landing.

    I was actually taking into consideration Tyrion's line about Stannis knowing King's Landing so well. I figured he might know of another weakspot that isn't so obvious or some sort, but I guess Tyrion would have found out about that as well?

  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    A few choice parts of your post, AR:
    The Bad:
    - While her scenes were mercifully short, they only served to underline how little Danaerys has had to do this season. Almost no movement on her story this week except possibly a burgeoning and super gross romance with Jorah. I'm not even sure why she was in this episode. We've gone many episodes with complete omission of certain characters (like, uh, Stannis), so her presence being missed here would actually be less jarring that the little bit we were given. Not a big deal, but jarring still.

    Have to agree. Absolutely nothing has changed between last episode and this one, so I don't see the point in having a scene that plays out almost exactly like the last time we saw her, except now she's slightly less bothered by Jorah's overtures or more inclined to manipulate him or something.
    - A weird tonal shift on Cersei's part this week. I think had it not been juxtaposed against last week's show of her humanity and empathy in dealing with Sansa, her sudden turn into sadism and torture wouldn't seem so bizarre and clumsy, but there it is. Also, her plan also doesn't do anything to help her. "If Joffrey gets hurt or killed in battle, I'll kill your girlfriend." Well, that'll bring Dead Joffrey back, eh? No. No it won't. You're an idiot, and I hope you die.

    Cersei is a bad, bad, bad person, but the picture they are painting of her is that she is capable of something almost approaching tenderness alongside her absolutely batshit and cruel side. What's interesting is that both sides of her spring from the same well, though - her devotion to her children. As for her and Sansa, I think she sees in Sansa a bit of what she was before becoming queen.
    - Why show us the scenes with Brienne and Jaime? We learned nothing. A complete waste of time. We still have no idea what deal or terms Catelyn made with Jaime, and everything we saw in that scene could have been summed up in a later scene, or the scene could have been more informative. Not good.

    Yeah, we don't know much about whatever bargain was struck (if any), but we do know how they're getting out of camp, got a bit more backstory on Brienne, and more of both their characters (like how neither of them are as scared of the other as they likely should be).

    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Things regarding the battle have diverged enough from the books with regards to the upcoming battle that I'm just speculating at this point: I think that Tyrion intends to let Stannis take the Mud Gate, and then use Wildfire to set that quarter of the city alight and burn Stannis's army in place.

    Also, while Tyrion is one of the smartest people in the show, he's still quite capable of making mistakes - not realizing that Cersei was going after his woman was an obvious instance of Tyrion missing out on things happening under his nose. As satisfying as it may be for the audience to see Joffrey slapped, pissing off a psychopathic king on a regular basis is obviously a horrible decision in the long run.

    Shadowhope on
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    oh my god i'm dumb wrong thread

    Organichu on
    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    Bandable wrote: »
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Ned was killed, but that was a rash act by Joffrey that would never have been sanctioned by Tywin, by Cersei, by Jaime, or by Tyrion.

    Given that Tyrion is in power in KL, I don't think you can completely dismiss the possibility of a legitimate exchange of hostages. After all, all the noble families have to honor hostage exchanges because there is always possible one day you or a child of yours might be a hostage and you need the trust in that old institution.

    The reason it hasn't happened so far is that Robb and his men didn't feel that 2 young girls were enough to get in return for Jaime Lannister, not that they didn't believe in hostage exchanges. So you can argue whether Catelyn was wise to make that deal. But I don't think you can really get on her for believing in the deal.

    Yeah, Cat has shown that she really thinks Tyrion is an honorable person... Wait, no, she thinks he has already tried to kill one of her sons.

    Yes, she thought that when she captured him, but that was just after she was told the dagger belongs to Tyrion.

    I think after having some interaction with him, she already doesn't quite believe it after he pointed out how stupid it would be to use his own knife, and then he saved her life during the attack by the mountain clan. I don't think she at this point thinks Tyrion sent the assassin any more.



  • override367override367 misogynist/MRA/socially irresponsible Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Got eaten in the last thread, re: valyrian steel being magical, it apparently is



    And it's unbreakable but Jon Snow sharpens his anyway because he's a moron

    Edit: God watching these background videos makes me so angry the Game of Thrones videogame is so bad.

    override367 on
    XBLIVE: Biggestoverride
    League of Legends: override367
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Bandable wrote: »
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Ned was killed, but that was a rash act by Joffrey that would never have been sanctioned by Tywin, by Cersei, by Jaime, or by Tyrion.

    Given that Tyrion is in power in KL, I don't think you can completely dismiss the possibility of a legitimate exchange of hostages. After all, all the noble families have to honor hostage exchanges because there is always possible one day you or a child of yours might be a hostage and you need the trust in that old institution.

    The reason it hasn't happened so far is that Robb and his men didn't feel that 2 young girls were enough to get in return for Jaime Lannister, not that they didn't believe in hostage exchanges. So you can argue whether Catelyn was wise to make that deal. But I don't think you can really get on her for believing in the deal.

    Yeah, Cat has shown that she really thinks Tyrion is an honorable person... Wait, no, she thinks he has already tried to kill one of her sons.

    Yes, she thought that when she captured him, but that was just after she was told the dagger belongs to Tyrion.

    I think after having some interaction with him, she already doesn't quite believe it after he pointed out how stupid it would be to use his own knife, and then he saved her life during the attack by the mountain clan. I don't think she at this point thinks Tyrion sent the assassin any more.

    She's also a lot more aware that Littlefinger is a lying asshole.

  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Wait, are we not spoilering trailer contents anymore? In that case I might have to bid this thread adieu until after episode 9.

  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Registered User regular
    Edit: God watching these background videos makes me so angry the Game of Thrones videogame is so bad.

    Are those videos off the DVDs or something? Anyway, they're quite good and I'd advise people to watch through them all on that there Youtube if you've got some time.

    15wxzkn.jpg
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Edit: God watching these background videos makes me so angry the Game of Thrones videogame is so bad.

    Are those videos off the DVDs or something? Anyway, they're quite good and I'd advise people to watch through them all on that there Youtube if you've got some time.

    Yup. From the set.

  • StrayDogStrayDog Registered User
    I don't know if they're on the DVDs or blu-rays, but there's a youtube channel hosting them.

    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLED599893751E9307

    Let me go down in the mud, where the rivers all run dry.
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    They are on the blu-rays, and they are awesome.

  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Edit: God watching these background videos makes me so angry the Game of Thrones videogame is so bad.

    Are those videos off the DVDs or something? Anyway, they're quite good and I'd advise people to watch through them all on that there Youtube if you've got some time.

    I think there are about 3 AGOT games being released and I'm never sure which one people are referring to, because they all get called, 'The Game of Thrones videogame'.

    I figure I could take a bear.
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Edit: God watching these background videos makes me so angry the Game of Thrones videogame is so bad.

    Are those videos off the DVDs or something? Anyway, they're quite good and I'd advise people to watch through them all on that there Youtube if you've got some time.

    I think there are about 3 AGOT games being released and I'm never sure which one people are referring to, because they all get called, 'The Game of Thrones videogame'.

    Probably the RPG that just got released. Apparently it's almost entirely horrible - gameplay, graphics, voice acting - but the story is actually pretty good, which actually makes it worse.

  • AtomikaAtomika Merry Christmas your arse I pray God it's our lastRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Edit: God watching these background videos makes me so angry the Game of Thrones videogame is so bad.

    Are those videos off the DVDs or something? Anyway, they're quite good and I'd advise people to watch through them all on that there Youtube if you've got some time.

    I think there are about 3 AGOT games being released and I'm never sure which one people are referring to, because they all get called, 'The Game of Thrones videogame'.

    Probably the RPG that just got released. Apparently it's almost entirely horrible - gameplay, graphics, voice acting - but the story is actually pretty good, which actually makes it worse.

    From what I've read, it's neither fish nor fowl. It takes place during Book 1 and goes into some very book-sourced detail, but then has certain characters played by the actors from the show. It's also apparently canon, since Martin wrote the outline, but has no meaning in the other stories in any meaningful way since the characters don't actually affect the story being told in the books OR TV show.


    Also, I read that the gameplay was like "a broken version of Dragon Age."

  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm just gonna drop my two crazy theories in regards to two characters' parentage here. I doubt these are correct (though I love the thought of the second one, and am going to be really disappointed when it turns out not to be true).

    First is Gendry, the less crazy:
    Spoiler:

    Now Jon, the real crazy:
    Spoiler:

    LordSolarMacharius on
    15wxzkn.jpg
  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

    Now Jon, the real crazy:
    Spoiler:

    This one actually crossed my mind while I was watching the first season and
    Spoiler:

    Egos on
«134567115
This discussion has been closed.