As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Searching For an Old Game Disc (cosmic osmo!)

AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Cosmic Osmo and the Worlds Beyond the Mackerel! (Cyan's pre-myst, post-manhole extravaganza). I played the snot out of it in the day.

1991_CyanCosmicOsmo_animation_space.gif

I had a hankering to play it recently, but sadly my disc is dead.

None of the online stores/ebay/etc have it. Any idea where I could find this? Supposedly Cyan was planning a re-release in a collection, but I have heard nothing since a vague announcement years ago. Help?

Agentflit on

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never even heard of this. What's the aim, etc.?

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I, too, am intrigued and would like to know more.

And squirminator: your sig haunted my childhood

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I used to have nightmares about Guru Meditations as a child, to the extent where when the family's Amiga 500 was moved into my room I would unplug it in case it switched itself on and Guru'd at me as I slept.

But that's remarkably off-topic. Come, Agentfit! Share with us your gaming knowledge!

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never even heard of this. What's the aim, etc.?

It's an old macintosh game.

It's the same format as Myst, an adventure game where you click to move to another screen. There are a whole bunch of worlds with lots of things to click on (for example, in one guy's house there is an arcade in the attic which you can plug in and actually play). I think it was billed as "edutainment", but it's not, really. There was disk version and a CD version, the latter released later and being far superior.

Actually, I think Wikipedia is better at this than me:
    There is no goal in Cosmic Osmo, no points, nothing that the player can keep in an inventory. There is no way to finish the game, since it has no end.

Despite being advertised as a children's game, people from all ages could enjoy it at the time. It has a very humorous tone to it, and popular culture references abounds. It's also obviously influenced by Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The graphics are 1-bit and use a lot of dithering patterns to simulate grayscale. Still, many of the scenes are very well drawn and are hand painted with the 9" compact Apple Macintosh screen in mind. Animations are very smooth even on these machines.

...and it's nowhere to be found. :(

Agentflit on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hm. I have to go into town tomorrow, and there's a very good computer game store that has a plethora of PC and Mac games old and new (they still have original, boxed copies of Sam & Max: Hit The Road - both the floppy and CD versions). I'll swing by on the way home and see if they have it.

AND THEN I WILL KEEP IT.

Squirminator2k on