As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bill Murray can't join his ancestors in the afterlife until he wins an Oscar

MrMonroeMrMonroe passed outon the floor nowRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Social Entropy++
Unfortunately for us I'm betting that happens sometime next year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQaScjiWDyY

The Academy loves shit like this, and so do I.

Laura Linney plays Margaret Suckley, FDR's "confidant" and "close friend" and "sixth cousin". One of those shouldn't actually be in sarcasm-quotes.

Olivia Williams, who you probably know either as the Hot Teacher from Rushmore or the Dead Guy's Wife from that movie that pushed everyone's expectations of M. Knight Shyamalan as a director way too high will be playing Elanor Roosevelt, FDR's "wife" and "first lady" and "fifth-cousin once removed". None of those should actually be in quotes.

Olivia Colman, who is apparently breaking out of weird British comedy television to play supporting roles in serious biographies of historical figures, will be playing a pre-coronation Queen Elizabeth.

Some weird British guy is playing King George VI. I dunno, he was in Van Helsing I guess, whatever, he's below "Aunt" and "Missy" in the billing on the IMDB page for the movie.

Let's talk about the man who personally beat Hitler to death with his walking cane and dragged America out of the Great Recession without the use of his legs and how everyone in this movie is involved in some sort of distant-cousin-fucking tryst or marriage of some sort.

MrMonroe on

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Huh

Yep

Guess I'll see this

I read a really interesting book about FDR and/or Eleanor a while back and now I seem to have completely forgotten what it was.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Olivia Colman is so good and should have won everything for Tyrannosaur. Everything.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Holy shit that's Doris Thatcher!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Someone make cinema tickets cheaper

Pushing on a tenner for a single over here

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Yes

Yes

• Options
    Now I just want to talk about Hot Fuzz and how the more I watch it the more I like it even better than Shaun of the Dead, which is saying something as that is probably my favourite film of the last however many years.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hot Fuzz is excellent

this movie looks good too

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Was Doris Thatcher the hotel receptionist

And yes Hot Fuzz is better than Shaun of the Dead by many orders of magnitude

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    woah hey you can't just put bill murray and afterlife in a thread title first thing in the morning

I almost choked

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This thread title scared the shit out of me.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yep. Totally thought it was news about him passing too

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Was Doris Thatcher the hotel receptionist

And yes Hot Fuzz is better than Shaun of the Dead by many orders of magnitude

No no, Doris was the female police officer.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man, my heart. Are you trying to kill me with that thread title?

Bill Murray is without a doubt my favourite dude to see on the big screen. He's not the best actor out there, but he's my favourite.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Well obviously I wanna see Bill Murray as FDR seducing his cousin

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I like

Bill Murray

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    The extra 's in the thread title is killing me.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    So basically the race for Best Actor next year is going to be Bill Murray as FDR versus Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Someone make cinema tickets cheaper

Pushing on a tenner for a single over here

My sister, her husband, and I went to The Dictator on Friday.

3 tickets plus a small popcorn and drink:

$58

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    So basically the race for Best Actor next year is going to be Bill Murray as FDR versus Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln.

LINCOLN BEATS TRUMAN ROOSEVELT, TECHNICALLY, I GUESS

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

President is the new retard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    No one will ever believe you

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    It is my curse.

• Options

Philip Seymour Hoffman.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    holy shit yes.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    This movie looks like it's going to be brilliant
    and probably also get a million King's Speech comparisons maybe?

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    The extra 's in the thread title is killing me.

ugh my shame

I had to rewrite it to get it under 90 characters

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Philip Seymour Hoffman.
    Daniel Day Lewis is literally the best living actor.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So has Daniel Day-Lewis been splitting rails and practicing law in rural Illinois and sleeping in the same bed as his longtime bodyguard?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Pharezon wrote: »

Philip Seymour Hoffman.

No arguments there. I just think PTA as a director is much more accomplished at getting an Oscar worthy performance from actors than Spielberg. If anything, I'd say that Spielberg is actually not a very good actor's director.

• Options

President is the new retard.

Which is why Day-Lewis is doomed.

He went full President.

• Options
    I look forward to reports of DDL visiting the CDC to expose himself to small pox and malaria in order to recreate a more 'authentic' Lincoln.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    bill murray does absolutely nothing for me

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »

Philip Seymour Hoffman.

No arguments there. I just think PTA as a director is much more accomplished at getting an Oscar worthy performance from actors than Spielberg. If anything, I'd say that Spielberg is actually not a very good actor's director.

I could agree with that. But I think DDL will transcend Spielberg's directing.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    bill murray does absolutely nothing for me

hey lookit this guy

being the worst

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I am due for another viewing of Groundhog Day soon, love that movie.

• Options
    staplerofpaperstaplerofpaper Registered User regular
    From pictures on set Daniel Day Lewis looks shockingly like Lincoln raised from the dead, and we all know his acting won't be anything but amazing. However, Daniel Day Lewis the man does not have a habit of randomly karaoking with strangers in bars, and if the Academy values that as much as it should, Murray is gonna karaoke with a tiny gold man statue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Anthony Hopkins is portraying Alfred Hitchcock this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a nomination.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    was FDR the cousinfuckingest president

I wonder but not enough to actually look into it

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    was FDR the cousinfuckingest president

I wonder but not enough to actually look into it

Not to stereotype but I thought Clinton would fit that bill considering where he's from and his general personality.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Listen, everyone has a hot cousin.

And everyone must live their life with such temptation.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg