As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MIT does it again, because that's what they do, apparently

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It will revolutionize syrup bongs though.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I usually duck the question, or lie. Because everyone makes the same face and almost nobody knows how to respond intelligently and it's just such a conversation killer.

wait what do you do for a living

isn't it something sciencey

It depends who's asking and where they ask. But generally I am a bio-roboticist. I work with behavioural biologists and neuroscientists to create bio-inspired sensors and algorithms for insect-inspired visual control of autonomous vehicles, usually flying ones. Sometimes I go out and spend hours filming insects, sometimes I spend days locked in a dark room doing really tedious mathematics, mostly I do a lot of programming and data analysis, and sometimes i build things (that's the fun bit).

You had me at bio-roboticist

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    imagine that scene from super troopers only replace the actors with every single kid in high school

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I usually duck the question, or lie. Because everyone makes the same face and almost nobody knows how to respond intelligently and it's just such a conversation killer.

It depends who's asking and where they ask. But generally I am a bio-roboticist. I work with behavioural biologists and neuroscientists to create bio-inspired sensors and algorithms for insect-inspired visual control of autonomous vehicles, usually flying ones. Sometimes I go out and spend hours filming insects, sometimes I spend days locked in a dark room doing really tedious mathematics, mostly I do a lot of programming and data analysis, and sometimes i build things (that's the fun bit).

Seriously "I build bug robots". That is awesome. I am a crew member at Trader Joe's. That is something that isn't fun to talk about.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Seriously "I build bug robots". That is awesome. I am a crew member at Trader Joe's. That is something that isn't fun to talk about.

On the other hand, nobody's gonna be wanting an employee discount for bug robots, so you've got that going for you.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    My job gets mixed reactions. Either people know the place I work at and dig it or I get a lot of "where? what the hell is that?".

My job title however, always gets a question or two.

"Undersecretary for the Ministry of Misinformation"

And holy syrup bongs, batman.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Do...do you live in the world of Harry Potter?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

On the other hand, there's never going to be a newspaper headline reading 'Crew Member's research brings about condiment-based apocalypse. Curse the hubris of man!'

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    And are they looking for an underundersecretary?

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I love inventions for weird stupid crap that comes out of trying to solve actual problems

They are always the coolest

also speaking of robot dogs: that thing with knife legs that can run at 18 miles an hour is still amazing and scary at the same time

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Close enough.

Had a lot of angry Hufflepuffs yelling at us a few weeks ago.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Wait, what did TG do to offend Hufflepuffs?

Is.. is that even possible?

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    tell 'em to stuff it like a badger in a hole

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    haha that's a good title

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

Told them they were the SPED kids riding the short broom to Hogwarts.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    tell 'em to stuff it like a badger in a hole

dont insult badgers bro

like the badger, nothing gets a hufflepuff's dander up like bad things being said about badgers

an enraged hufflepuff will use it's strong bite to latch on to a limb and never let go, like a badger

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    @tynic That is an awesome job. Being a tester of robots I have great appreciation for that kind of work.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    It's allright, I guess. It'd be cooler if tynic made robots that are like pterodactyls that shoot lasers.
    Just kidding, I am super impressed and jealous.

My data architect/ETL dev career is in a tailspin right now, I need a new job badly, and am willing to move anywhere. Even Albequrque, if it means cutting edge.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I think he works for the same people who pubish pro-global warming 'information'.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    I tell people I work for apple. But I don't really work for apple, I work for xerox doing tech support for apple.

But people seem to have better reactions to the name Apple

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    @tynic That is an awesome job. Being a tester of robots I have great appreciation for that kind of work.

Fact: robots are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptyV1cpE14o

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

this is so fucking cool

do you use python? I find a lot of scientific programming is done in python these days

sig.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Tynic has the coolest job that isn't an adolescent male revenge fantasy.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I wish I had a cool job, I just sit and play on computers and occasionally walk up and down stairs or operate an x-ray machine and stuff. I mean, getting paid to play on the internet is cool but the job itself is boring and unrewarding and this whole place is run like shit and it feels like management actively hates us sometimes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Did anyone else click that comment at the end of the chocolate sauce video? Because holy shit, when did we reach the future?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuEY2bm-W50

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    I amaze friends, family, and acquaintances with my ability to remember what the atomic mass and symbol are for common elements.

Bitch please, I fucking work with this shit daily. I'm not a super genius or some kind of elitist nerd, I've just remembered these things over time and constant use.

I'm also getting tired of people groaning or making a WTF face when they ask me what my job is and I say Analytical Chemist. I'm sorry you hated chemistry in high school. I did not make it up, I just work with it. It was worse trying to explain to them I was a research scientist in glass chemistry and applications.

I need to make up a socially easier fake job/education to talk about. Something about sales. Maybe postal worker or pimp for teenage runaways and illegal alien sex workers.

Wait wait wait

you do science?

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

sig.gif
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    It's allright, I guess. It'd be cooler if tynic made robots that are like pterodactyls that shoot lasers.
    Just kidding, I am super impressed and jealous.

My data architect/ETL dev career is in a tailspin right now, I need a new job badly, and am willing to move anywhere. Even Albequrque, if it means cutting edge.

Where are you looking?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    Did anyone else click that comment at the end of the chocolate sauce video? Because holy shit, when did we reach the future?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuEY2bm-W50
    I remember the first time I saw this.

Brain melted.

True story.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

My jaw slowly dropped more and more with each new word I read of this.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Analytical chemistry is the best chemistry.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The little smoke trails coming out the bottom of the little cars.

The coolest.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    now mount a tiny wireless camera on each car and make it a 2 player video game

sig.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Tynic has the coolest job that isn't an adolescent male revenge fantasy.
    I dunno, @Hunter basically melts shit for science

Not sure if that's #1 coolest but it's pretty well up there

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    The best part about that video is the music straight from Wipeout HD's soundtrack.

Well no, that's one of the best things. The other best things are basically the entire video.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

I think he works for the same people who pubish pro-global warming 'information'.

Whoa there, let's not go saying things we can't take back, champ.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    facetious wrote: »

Told them they were the SPED kids riding the short broom to Hogwarts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Z5_wipT2o

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

Some pretty great CG there

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular