As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Day Z] Like a Japanese game show, where the prize is breaking your legs.

SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG!Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
CkN9Q.png
Current version:
1.7.2 ALPHA
Chernarus.

A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is Day Z. This is your story.
(From the official DayZ homepage.)

You've probably heard of it, the increasingly popular mod for ARMA II. Day Z takes place in Chernarus, the whole 225 square kilometers are explorable and you have one objective: Survive.
World is persistent, as in, you will keep your gear, health and location even if you log out, or change servers.

It is a very dangerous world. You have to fight (fast) zombies and (player controlled) bandits as well, you need to eat, drink water and avoid catching a cold if you want to live. Getting shot or hit by zombies can cause you to bleed, enter shock or break a bone, all which if not treated immediately can signify certain death. Once you're dead, you're dead. There's no respawning with your character, all your gear is lost to whoever loots your corpse.

This also isn't your daddy's shooter: Unlike 99% of all FPS games out there, bullets come out of your weapon (Instead of the top of your head) and have realistic ballistics applied to them. Bullet speed & gravity are a factor, weapons have weight to them, and simple things such as running around will mess up your aim if you're winded.

Currently, there is no penalty for killing other players other than losing humanity, so it is strongly encouraged to move with a group, and avoid large-PVP-heavy cities such as Chernogorsk, Elektrozavodsk, Stary Sobor or the Northwest airbase.

You will start with very basic gear, most important tip: GET OFF THE DAMN COAST!
It is full of bandits (Players who only kill survivors to loot their bodies) and staying too long there will only get you killed. You start without a map or even a compass. Look at the Sun or the stars to find your North (Or when you first login, look at the bottom right to know where you spawned, and based on that check an online map) and just head inland. Loot spawns in almost any enterable building, but all buildings spawn zombies (zeds). They react to sight and sound, shoot only if absolutely necessary.

Some people though, they say you should actually check out the coastal cities. I guess it depends on the servers:
My current starting strategy has been to do a loop through either Elektro or Cherno to gear up, then head north in an attempt to get to Stary Sobor and it's military camp. I won't head inland until i have at least a set of matches, non-einfeld rifle, large pack (czech or alice), extra meds, extra food and one spare water bottle. It's easily doable in either city if you make sure to hit the fire stations and general stores. I haven't really worked with anyone yet other than one nice fellow who gave me a transfusion.

VIDEO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

JOIN US!
We have 2 servers now!

SERVER INFO

**TARKOVSKY & LEM are now OFFLINE**

Why? Because this:
Since the introduction of of regularcheck, server IO performance has taken a huge hit. If you are running multiple instances off of your server, this problem will be amplified. The best solution to the problem is to upgrade your server with SSDs. Larges sizes are not needed, so this can be done on a budget.

In the worst case scenario regularcheck can be turned off by changing the line to “regularcheck = "";.” Deleting your regularcheck line will not turn off regular checks.

BIS is working on addressing these issues and future updates may include a solution for the excessive IO usage.

Orik ran both instances on one server, and wasn't about to drop $$$ for an SSD because of a bug.

Fret not, we have these two other servers:

THE CLAM BAKE!
Search for: The Clam
Regular difficulty, no nametags, 3rd person enabled, no sidechat.

TS3 info for The Clam Bake:
Address: 66.150.164.58
Ask here for the password.

Here's our brand new SECOND server!
Managed by Gnometank.

Search For: US 899 or Brainling
Difficulty: Veteran, 3DP: on, CH: on
TS3 Info:
us899.typefrag.com:7430
Ask here for the password.
How do I play this?

You need to have ARMA II: Combined Operations in order to play this.

One alternative is to download ARMA II Free and then buy Operation Arrowhead, but I believe you will have low res textures for ARMA II assets.

***NEW INSTALLATION METHOD***

Just go to http://www.dayzcommander.com/

Install DayZ Commander, and let it do everything else for you.

Helpful stuff:
Wictro's Day-Z Help Center
I have this link bookmarked on my Steam internet browser, that way I can quickly use those loot maps without having to ALT TAB out of the game.

Low contrast night map.
For when navigating at night you don't get all the glare from the default white map.

Loot cheat sheet.
Information of what spawns where.

Official DayZ download.

ARMA 2 BETA patch

Anything you'd like to add, tell me!

Satsumomo on

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Its own damn thread. Woop Woop

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    had to reinstall arma+OA to get the mod to load without errors last night. but I'll be on trying to figure things out this evening. I used the Dayz install tool and everything worked perfectly, so it might be worth mentioning in the OP (I have the steam versions)

here are the instructions:
    DAYZ INSTALL TOOL

This program will automatically download and install the latest version of DayZ Mod for you. You don't have to copy or extract anything.

1) Download the Updater from http://www.worrom.com/
    2) Point at at your Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead folder.
    3) Go to Steam and right click Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, go to 'Properties', 'Set Launch Options', add "-mod=@dayz -nosplash" without quotes in the target line. If you are using retail go to the Arma2:OA main directory and right-click on "Arma2OA.exe" and add "-mod=@dayz -nosplash" without quotes to the target line.

DayZ Install Tool thread: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2001

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    This looks damned interesting. Might take some time off from grinding D3 to get a group together for this.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I think we need a video/screenshots in the OP, suggestions?

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Everyone I know that has watched the Days Ahead videos has wanted to play.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I think we need a video/screenshots in the OP, suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ&feature=related

This is last months build. A pretty large group is playing together. Looks awesome though for a sandbox. Wish the graphics and animations were a little better, kind of throws me out of the action.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    man if that video is indicative of the zombie apocalypse we're all screwed

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie. The OP made my penis kinda hard. This game sounds SO FUCKING FUN.

And I can't play it until I get home in a month. Godfuckingdamnit.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    I think it is AWESOME that we use a server that updates to bea versions of the game so steamplayers can't get in! Nice one!

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    carmofin wrote: »
    I think it is AWESOME that we use a server that updates to bea versions of the game so steamplayers can't get in! Nice one!

Wait what? Steam can't play? :(

• Options
    edited May 2012

False. Beta patch works just fine on the the steam version. The steam version doesn't even require steam once it's installed.

Edit: To be clear, it is slightly trickier to setup a shortcut that runs Combined Operations, Beta, and Dayz, but it does work just fine.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    Aiserou wrote: »

False. Beta patch works just fine on the the steam version. The steam version doesn't even require steam once it's installed.

Edit: To be clear, it is slightly trickier to setup a shortcut that runs Combined Operations, Beta, and Dayz, but it does work just fine.

Sounds like a hassle. Hope they fix that. Also no clipping zombies that run through walls, wtf.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Aiserou wrote: »

Sounds like a hassle. Hope they fix that. Also no clipping zombies that run through walls, wtf.

It's not so much that it's a hassle as that there are literally like 20 different ways to launch the game depending on if you have retail vs steam, combined ops vs arma 2 + OA, or current patch vs beta patch . Then there's the question of if you are launching it from steam, from a shortcut, or from a fucking .bat file. Then if more than one person starts helping you they will inevitably be trying to do two separate things that don't necessarily work together, which winds up with everyone being confused as to why it's not working.

Ok yea it's a hassle. Currently I have it on steam and run CO+Beta+Dayz using a shortcut. The shortcut parameters are messy as hell because it was automatically creating by the Spirited Machine launcher, but it works. If I get some time after work I will try to clean up the shortcut and post what I have which should work for most everyone assuming they have everything installed properly to begin with.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Word to the wise, the Winchester is much much (much) louder than it was before.

I just shot a zombie at least 100 yards from anything else and aggroed half a fucking town.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Here's the easiest way to install DayZ + Running with normal or beta patch.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2705492

It will install DayZ for you, and create shortcuts in your Desktop for the normal patch and the Beta patch. Edit the CMD file the shortcut is directed to, in the bottom to remove the -window command that is there, or the game will launch windowed.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »

I just shot a zombie at least 100 yards from anything else and aggroed half a fucking town.

Rut Rooooow.

That was one of the reasons the chester was so boss. Hell on zombies and quiet enough to manage.... weak on players....

now its an air horn to zombies? :/

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Here's the easiest way to install DayZ + Running with normal or beta patch.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2705492

It will install DayZ for you, and create shortcuts in your Desktop for the normal patch and the Beta patch. Edit the CMD file the shortcut is directed to, in the bottom to remove the -window command that is there, or the game will launch windowed.

Ok, yea, that seems like the simplest way.

• Options
    I've been watching Kilroy's series all day at work. Seems really intense and freaking hilarious at the same time.

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    lu tze wrote: »

Rut Rooooow.

That was one of the reasons the chester was so boss. Hell on zombies and quiet enough to manage.... weak on players....

now its an air horn to zombies? :/
    Yeah, pretty much.

I read somewhere (might have even been here), that he upped the aggro range to 125 metres... for comparison, the CZ's is 150 metres.

It's still pretty good, as you can carry a shitton of easy to find ammo. You just have to be a little more careful with it.

Oh and retard number one is me: the way I found out, I a shot a cow on the outskirts of Myshkino. Ended up having to fight off the hoard, but it's okay, I got 8 raw meats out of it! But no, I have to accidentally hide the cow's body instead of looting it. /slaphead

World's best janitor
  • Options
    My current character has been alive since Friday or Saturday, but I've currently catched a cold :(

We've been moving around in a largish group of 4-6 people, it has mostly been hassle free, I guess other players see us and try to avoid us as much as possible. However I am quite looking forward to when we encounter another large group, that's when it will get tense.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if there's a way to swap a primary weapon from your backpack with your current primary weapon? Without using the ground?

• Options
    You can just double click it AFAIK, you'll lose all your ammo though.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    I haven't beat D3 hell mode yet...but this seems very interesting.

Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It's got some amazing potential that's for sure. It's totally an Alpha right now though, which means that their are features being added all the time. Lots of these features enter the game broken or totally unbalanced, which is how it's done. As long as you go in willing to deal with all the conceivable issues that this can cause then yeah, check it out. If you rage over stuff that isn't straightened out yet I'd say wait on it a bit.

That said I haven't played it in a while, I think I'll be checking out some of this new stuff soon.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, serious problems are to be expected in an alpha. Overall, the serious issues aren't necessarily too enormously huge. I'd say the two biggest ones right now are bandits and how wonky zombies are when it comes to walls.

The former issue is mostly due to the problem that people are dicks. Nothing the developers can do about that, really, though it would be nice if they could implement some sort of permanent "asshole" system so that somebody that plays like an asshole is always pegged that way regardless of new characters and new servers. Though since the devs mentioned that people have been clamoring for new skins, another way to keep people from being jerks would be to let them use custom skins only if they don't join the bandit brigade, which should be doable.

Oh, and making it so that firing on a bandit can't turn you into a bandit, or at least the penalty for it is something like 1/20th that of shooting a normal person. I've heard that there are issues with people becoming bandits by defending against bandits, so that would be a good way for that to be dealt with.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    If you shoot at a bandit, you don't lose humanity at all, or if another survivor manages to hit you first. But if a survivor shoots at you, misses, and you kill him in defense, then you lose your humanity.

I'm really looking forward to the whole skins being lootable deal, it will be easier to make ourselves indentifiable, and possibly denote how long you've been surviving at a glance. Most hopefully we'll soon get a system where people with high humanity will be distinguishable from others.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    From what I have heard, the whole bandit skin is soon to be a non-issue anyways. A neon blinking sign "asshole" system is just a different game and don't think it fits with this open ended tale of woe and survival.

IMHO, what the game could benefit from is things that humanize other players, I know that the game saw a definite uptick in player on player violence when direct channel microphone communication has been on the fritz. My guess is further "emoticons" like the salute would see fewer people treating their fellow players as The Other, a form of body language and tone, something we often take for granted as signaling to us if someone is friend or foe. Or perhaps the ability to holster one's weapon.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You can holster primary weapons by double tapping CTRL, unfortunately for pistols you're always pointing them forwards. You can point down and look up with ALT I guess.

• Options
    The worst thing about the bandit system is that it makes everyone assume that a person with a bandit skin is going to kill them.

I don't think I've been killed by a person with a bandit skin even once, meanwhile I have died dozens of times to survivors because I thought "well he doesn't have a bandit skin so maybe he won't shoot me".

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Dealing with Zombies

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert at this game, and in fact I've only been playing for a few days.

When I first started playing, I decided to run towards a building to look for loot. This was mistake #1: Running is loud, and you're highly visible while standing up. On the right of your screen you'll see eye and ear icons; a dial next to each will fill up to tell you how easy you are to detect. A standing run will usually fill both of these, and sure enough, before I got anywhere near the doorway zombies I hadn't even seen were screaming and chasing me.

Survival Suggestion #1: Don't run if you think there may be zombies around, even if you can't see them.

A good compromise if you want to move fast is a crouch run. You can crouch by pressing "x" ("c" is stand, and "z" is prone); running while crouched both reduces your noise and visual cues, but only reduces your speed slightly. As a bonus, it's a good deal harder for other players to spot someone crouched since they're less likely to silhouette against the sky. With a crouch run, you should be able to see zombies before they see you. Which lead me to mistake #2: Shooting at the zombies

Survival Suggestion #2: Don't shoot zombies if you can avoid it.

Don't worry; you'll get plentiful opportunities to shoot zombies in this game. But as tempting as it might be to pick off unaware zombies, it often brings more trouble than it's worth. Guns in this game are loud, and zombies can hear them from quite far away (100+ meters for some of the rifles). More than that, if you shoot at a zombie but it doesn't go down (either you miss, or get a body shot instead of a headshot with a low caliber weapon) it will screech and alert other nearby zombies.

If a zombie hasn't spotted you yet it may be better to crouch walk (hold or double tap shift) or even crawl past it; you can get surprisingly close as long as you're careful (tip: The surface you're on changes how loud you are; watch the indicator). While crawling I've gotten within 10 feet or closer of a zombie without it noticing me, though obviously you want to stay as far away as possible.

If crawling isn't possible, there are other ways to get past a zombie. If you're a good shot, you can try going for a long range headshot with a fairly quiet weapon (the starting pistol is fairly quiet); make sure you take it down before it can alert others, which with the starting pistol basically gives you time for two quick shots. Other alternatives are to get it to chase you and then lead it somewhere farther away to deal with it, or throw something to distract it (smoke grenades are best, flares second, and empty cans will do if you land them close enough).

Using techniques like this, you can often scavenge with a minimum of combat or ammo expenditure, but sooner or later you are going to end up chased by zombies.

Survival Suggestion #3: You will end up chased by zombies. Don't panic.

Zombies are, as you'll quickly notice, faster than you. However, they have to stop in order to attack, and if you're at a standing run you should move out of range of the attack before they can hurt you. So in theory you could just run forever and be safe, but since they wont stop chasing you you need to deal with them eventually.

The primary way of dealing with one or more zombies after you is to lead them into an open area away from other zombies, then wait for them to pause to attack you. Get out of range, then stop and quickly bring your gun up and snap off some body shots. You don't get crosshairs while moving, so this is an acquired skill, but you'll get plenty of opportunity for practice. You probably wont be perfect and will take some hits, but you should be able to bring them down.

Though I've never tried it, I've also heard that running down a sufficiently steep slope will cause the zombies to kill themselves. It might be worth trying if you're in dire straights, but be careful; a particularly steep slope will cause you to slow to a walk.

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    So currently I'm stuck in a barn/shed thing in Staroye with barely 1200 blood. I have no food and I can't walk 5 feet without passing out. I'm not bleeding though, and have a decent amount of gear. I really need a hero right now. And some beans. Any of you fine upstanding gentlemen willing to save me? I don't know how but I'll repay you somehow someday.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So is it a good idea to just get off the coast as soon as possible and get inland?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    That's my favorite idea, I'm not saying go all the way to the center of the map but at least 1km inland, there are many small settlements where you will be able to find decent loot, and you can move in between them by travelling through the treelines.

In the coast you find little to no cover and many people just camp the cities so they can kill and loot lone survivors.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I'd try to find a map first. You can get lost as hell without one unless you are really familiar with Chernarus.

• Options
    That's true, I tend to leave out the part where I have played ARMA2 for 400+ hours.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I'd try to find a map first. You can get lost as hell without one unless you are really familiar with Chernarus.

If I can find a compass I'll be good to go. I printed off the map and I'm very good at orienteering.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HOTFIX : 23 MAY 2012

Affected addons:

dayz_code 1.5.8.3
    Changelog:

[FIXED] Temperature not increasing in sunshine
    [FIXED] Cleanup not occuring on servers for loot (causing massive lag and FPS issues)
    [FIXED] Fires can't be placed in buildings
    [FIXED] Tent's cannot be placed easily (reduced object checking zone area)

Fuck. I ditched my tent last night because I couldn't place it at all.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Bremen wrote: »
    The primary way of dealing with one or more zombies after you is to lead them into an open area away from other zombies, then wait for them to pause to attack you. Get out of range, then stop and quickly bring your gun up and snap off some body shots. You don't get crosshairs while moving, so this is an acquired skill, but you'll get plenty of opportunity for practice. You probably wont be perfect and will take some hits, but you should be able to bring them down.
    Using this technique it's actually pretty easy to get a single, clinical head shot. Just back off far enough so they're not hitting you, and raise your weapon sights.

This will bring less attention from zombies and humans, and will conserve your ammo (nothing says "free beans!" to a bandit like multiple panicked Makarov shots). It's only worth doing with lower powered weapons however, as things like the revolver and M1911 will take down a zed with a single body shot anyway.

Personally, I'd advise getting used to not using crosshairs and use the iron sights instead. They're a crutch that only really applies to regular servers and I've a feeling rocket will be taking them away eventually anyway (same with 3rd person).

Zombies also can't run indoors, this makes them quite easy prey. It's worth taking stock of any enterable buildings as possible points of retreat, just in case the shit hits the fan.

Last tip. Most towns aren't worth looting, but if you decide to risk it, it's best to identify the building you want to raid, and plan the shortest route directly to it from outside of town. I don't care if this means skirting all the way around instead of heading straight through... you'll live longer, trust me.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Click Join-Connecting failed repeat. That's been my experience so far and as far as I knew everything is up to date.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    From what I have heard, the whole bandit skin is soon to be a non-issue anyways. A neon blinking sign "asshole" system is just a different game and don't think it fits with this open ended tale of woe and survival.

IMHO, what the game could benefit from is things that humanize other players, I know that the game saw a definite uptick in player on player violence when direct channel microphone communication has been on the fritz. My guess is further "emoticons" like the salute would see fewer people treating their fellow players as The Other, a form of body language and tone, something we often take for granted as signaling to us if someone is friend or foe. Or perhaps the ability to holster one's weapon.

Considering you can lose several hours of effort to a single gunshot, I have to disagree enormously that people shouldn't be visually penalized for being assholes on a regular basis. I'm fine with leaving the PvP stuff in the game, but if somebody wants to play like a bandit, they should be labeled as such simply so people don't need to worry about every person they come across.

As for humanizing people, that's not going to keep anybody from playing like a dick if that's the way they want to play. Bandit skins are a serious penalty and actually do something meaningful to keep people from just preying on everybody else. Whether or not it "fits" the game doesn't matter to me because this is a game. Getting pasted after hours of searching and having all of your shit stolen because you didn't know somebody is regularly hostile is, frankly, shitty gameplay and not fun.

This discussion has been closed.