As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Inner turmoil at Sony

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I know we just had that thread that's locked, but as far as I could see it was mostly about the PS3 specifically, whereas this article is about the company as a whole and the disconnect between CEO Howare Stringer and his Japanese board of directors. Insightful:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6342

4053_stringer.jpg
Sony Chairman and CEO Howard Stringer

Ken Kutaragi: The thorn in Sony CEO Howard Stringer's side

In the past year, Sony as a company has been defined greatly by two events: the delayed launch of its PlayStation 3 gaming console and the battery recall that affected millions of customers. According to an interview with the Wall Street Journal, a lot of the negativity surrounding both is the result of internal strife in the company and a cultural disconnect between Sony CEO Howard Stringer and his Japanese executive team.

Much of the blame for the delay of the PS3 last year has been placed on Ken Kutaragi. Kutaragi, widely regarded as the father of the PlayStation repeatedly went over budget with PS3 development, yet failed to keep Stringer abreast of the problems.

Kutaragi blindsided Stringer again in a board room meeting with the announcement that the Japanese-market 20GB PS3 would have its price cut by 20%. “It wasn't financially one of my best moments," said Stringer. "The budget implications were self-evident. [But] I agreed because I wanted the launch to be successful."

Kutaragi also did his best to resist communication with key executives in other Sony divisions. Kutaragi famously held a Las Vegas launch party for the PlayStation Portable (PSP), yet failed to invite the heads of Sony electronics division -- the division that actually provides the components to make the PSP function.

After the missteps with the PS3, Kutaragi was "promoted out" of his position as President of Sony Computer Entertainment and was named chairman and CEO of SCEI.

Stringer goes on to say that the reluctance of his Japanese executive team to report problems to him was even more prevalent with the massive battery recall, which sparked in August of 2006. Instead of hearing the news directly from Sony employees, Stringer was first contacted about the problems by Michael Dell, founder of Dell Computer.

Stringer then, however, made a critical mistake by siding with his Japanese executive team and decided to remain quiet on the matter. The goal was to limit the vastness of the problem to Sony's components division. The reality of the matter was that the lack of response to the recall led to customers and the press to attack Sony as a whole, which did nothing for the company's reputation. Stringer likened the steady trickle of recall announcement from various notebook manufacturers to "a kind of Chinese water torture."

Some of the blame can be placed on Stringer. He decided not to have a permanent residence in Japan and instead lives in a hotel when he is in the country. He does, however, own homes in England and New York. "Mr. Stringer has no background and he's not in Japan managing the day-to-day," said Fitch Ratings analyst Tatsuya Mizuno. "Sony's DNA is in electronics...so the top management needs to understand what's going on there."

Stringer acknowledges that even a token residence in Japan would go a long way in promoting a synergy within his company. "[I should have] faked it better -- I mean that seriously," said Stringer. "I should've put the flag up the flagpole and said here's my residence in downtown Tokyo -- I'm here! -- even if it's less practical than living where I live, and much less comfortable and friendly."

Deusfaux on

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Interesting. I do think Kuturagi has lost it mentally but it'd be too embarassing to him and the company to kick his ass to the kerb for senility.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    Stringer goes on to say that the reluctance of his Japanese executive team to report problems to him was even more prevalent with the massive battery recall, which sparked in August of 2006. Instead of hearing the news directly from Sony employees, Stringer was first contacted about the problems by Michael Dell, founder of Dell Computer.

If they lack even that much professionalism, their hijinks in the last year make more sense.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blimey, Sony are rapidly besting NTL as Company With Worst Internal Communications.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    about 3/4 years ago I made the following prediction -
    "I would not be surprised if Sony as a whole are in serious financial trouble before the end of the next 10 years."
    I stand by that statement.

LewieP on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pics or it didn't happen

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    wavecutter wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen

you can ask the rest of my A-level economics groups, or various other people who you have no way of contacting. ;p

LewieP on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pics or it didn't happen
    What? What is this? What does this mean? What do you want, pictures of Sony's inability to communicate internally? How the Hell do you even get pictures of that?

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pics or it didn't happen
    What? What is this? What does this mean? What do you want, pictures of Sony's inability to communicate internally? How the Hell do you even get pictures of that?

He was talking about LewieP's prediction.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ah. Well colour me stupid.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pics or it didn't happen

miscommunicationaw9.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This isn't altogether surprising.

For one, how many Japanese companies have been helmed by foreigners?

What's more, Ken Kutaragi has been seen as a savior who can do no wrong for 10 friggan years. Very few have questioned him, and his motives, and his sense. I started to back when I saw the PS2 controller (again, I can't prove this).

Howard Stringer has a problem on his hands. And getting things better is going to require things to get a LOT worse here for a bit.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Inner turmoil? At Sony? Color me shocked.

Seriously, Sony, guys, as an old fan of your good, non-overpriced consoles, you guys gotta straighten this shit out. Internal communication, the PR problems, everything.

Getting rid of Kutaragi would be a good start.

Furu on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pics or it didn't happen

I know what this means and frankly SRK brand humor does not work too well on PA (although I love SRK and the humor). For those who do not frequent SRK (shoryuken.com forums) I'll explain. when someone says "blah blah blah met a girl, blah blah blah" people will ask for pics of the girl. the common tagline to ask the poster to put up a pic of her would be "pics or it didn't happen". This is to make the poster prove his story is legit and that he is not lying. My guess is that he is asking for proof of LewieP's prediction. There is also other SRK centric humor such as a staircase and pushing to deal with girl problems (when they are bitchy or pregnant) and the ever popular posting of “this thread is like/makes me want some Digiorno” this is posted when a thread does indeed not deliver.

With that out of the way

I'm not surprised at all. I mean third parties could not even get a hold of Kutaragi. And they were throwing themselves at him in order to get an exclusivity deal for their games on PS3. So him not really talking to Howard Stringer either is somehow not surprising.

Artoria on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This helps explain Ken's, er, "promotion." Seriously, the guy was single-handedly taking HUGE risks with the company's well being, especially announcing a price drop for the PS3 before it even launched. As much freedom as he had, you'd think he'd at least clear that shit with upper management. Then again, the PS and PS2 were wild successes, so they probably thought he could do no wrong.

Then again, it's also interesting to see how Sony's handling being run by a gaijin, i.e. badly. Part of it is certainly Howard Stringer's fault... not even having a residence at the company's frickin' headquarters? It's not as if they don't pay him enough for that. But keeping him out of the loop on big decisions isn't good at all, especially the whole exploding battery thing. I wonder if, had he been in the loop more, he could have made a few smoother decisions on the PS3... such as removing hardware-based BC to save money BEFORE models with it in come out and people get pissed when it's removed. Or actually pursuing more PS3 exclusives, as GTA and Assassin's Creed apparently were interested in being PS3 exclusive before they got shot down.

Then again again, I understand Sony has had horrible communication between its business units for decades, so this might ultimately not be anything new.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    disquieterdisquieter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen

I know what this means and frankly SRK brand humor does not work too well on PA (although I love SRK and the humor). For those who do not frequent SRK (shoryuken.com forums) I'll explain. when someone says "blah blah blah met a girl, blah blah blah" people will ask for pics of the girl. the common tagline to ask the poster to put up a pic of her would be "pics or it didn't happen". This is to make the poster prove his story is legit and that he is not lying. My guess is that he is asking for proof of LewieP's prediction. There is also other SRK centric humor such as a staircase and pushing to deal with girl problems (when they are bitchy or pregnant) and the ever popular posting of “this thread is like/makes me want some Digiorno” this is posted when a thread does indeed not deliver.

With that out of the way

I'm not surprised at all. I mean third parties could not even get a hold of Kutaragi. And they were throwing themselves at him in order to get an exclusivity deal for their games on PS3. So him not really talking to Howard Stringer either is somehow not surprising.

Dude, it's not a request made only on "SRK". It's an internet joke.
    Pics or it didn't happen

That's why it's funny! Sheesh.

disquieter on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    disquieter wrote: »
    Dude, it's not a request made only on "SRK". It's an internet joke.

I've only seen it over there. but now this is getting way off topic.

So that sony. I hear they have have 1 krazy ken.

Artoria on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Then again again, I understand Sony has had horrible communication between its business units for decades, so this might ultimately not be anything new.

This ultimately has led to a very large disparity between quality levels between thier different deptartments. For example tons of thier consumer electronics have turned to crap over the years. It used ot be owning a "sony" stereo was a big deal. Now they're just another mid of the road brand. However thier professional level video equipment and such are still the gold standard. Thier professional video decks and such are virtually a 100% monopoly mostly because the damn things last for like a decade. This is funny to me uz I'm often one of the "olol sony" people even though I usually say it surroudned by about 200,000 dollars worth of sony equipment.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    disquieter wrote: »
    That's why it's funny! Sheesh.
    Oh yes, so funny. Hilarious. Tee-hee hoodle ha, chuckle guffaw giggle. Everyone in the thread laughed!

Meanwhile, back in reality, it wasn't funny. Maybe it was somehow funny in the deeper regions of your cerebrum but once it clawed it's way out, feasting on whatever grey matter it happened to pass on the way, all humour was lost. Nobody laughed. Nobody else but you found it funny. That's the problem with internet culture - one man's comedic meat is another forum's stupid, idiotic, comedy poison.
    This ultimately has led to a very large disparity between quality levels between thier different deptartments. For example tons of thier consumer electronics have turned to crap over the years. It used ot be owning a "sony" stereo was a big deal. Now they're just another mid of the road brand. However thier professional level video equipment and such are still the gold standard. Thier professional video decks and such are virtually a 100% monopoly mostly because the damn things last for like a decade. This is funny to me uz I'm often one of the "olol sony" people even though I usually say it surroudned by about 200,000 dollars worth of sony equipment.
    I don't actually own much Sony stuff. I have my PS2 and my PSP but besides that all I have is some rather poor-quality headphones and some nearly depleted AA batteries. I don't know anyone who owns a Sony TV or anything along those lines.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Sony teh DOOMED?

God. It feels so good to get to say that. Serious or not.
    For one, how many Japanese companies have been helmed by foreigners?

I don't think it has to do with him being a foreigner. Japanese companies are funny, but they do care about profits. I think it's an issue with Sony, not the culture.

As for Ken, they should just stick him at a fish canning plant like they did that guy from Matsushita Panasonic.

Sheep on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've always had the feeling that Sony wasn't in dire straits because they were asshole-ish, but because of miscommunication and departmental segregation.

The PR spin disaster that was discussed on the 1up Yours podcast leads me to believe this is actually the case.

The company needs a major org chart revamp.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts