As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sleeping Dogs] You slut! You dishonor our family!

1404142434446»

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why not use Wei Shen's VA who is a Hong Kong actor?

Donnie Yen's been in previous stuff by the director so it may have been a package deal to get them on board?

he also has a rising profile in the west which means they'll have a known name to market the film with.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, Donnie Yen is an actual star now.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why not use Wei Shen's VA who is a Hong Kong actor?

Will Yun Lee is Korean. (VA for Jackie has been in some HK films though)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah I best remember Will Yun Lee as that evil Korean bloke in Die Another Day

Not exactly the most amazing pedigree on actual film

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    He was the other Detective on Witchblade.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    With Yen playing Wei Shen, the character might actually speak some Cantonese. So there is that.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    With Yen playing Wei Shen, the character might actually speak some Cantonese. So there is that.

I actually liked Wei Shen not using any Cantonese even as others around him did. It helped convey how he's a foreigner to Hong Kong in a way a lot of people that immigrated to the states young or are 2nd generation can relate to.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    I liked that he understood it, but preferred to speak in English because 6 tones is hard as fuck. Even the 4 tones of Mandarin are too hard for me.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah, but they definitely made concessions with the other characters speaking in phrases and reiterating them in Cantonese. Some sense of authenticity is better than none at all (or god forbid, chinglish) but it's very much a way of speaking to people in Cantonese in Western countries

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    Hey, hope it's OK to bring this thread back...I finally have a computer capable of playing Sleeping Dogs and I just completed the main story. I don't really care for GTA type games or fighting games, but Sleeping Dogs was really compelling. I'm not much of a twitch gamer anymore and I couldn't be bothered to remember most of the moves/combos but I still enjoyed the combat system (the red outline that warns you when to counter made it playable for me). The story was great, with some minor weirdness that I assume is due to cut content.

-As mentioned upthread 7 years ago, the girlfriend missions were really strange. The game makes a huge deal out of introducing Amanda, and I thought "oh she's going to be an important character". Nope. You go on one date with her after the introductory cutscene/mission and then she vanishes. I thought the game was setting her up for a climatic moment in the endgame where you have to make a choice to reveal your true identity as an undercover cop to her. It was really strange that on the date she mentions Wei buying her a dress, which I definitely didn't do, and the implied sex scene was hilarious in that it absolutely came out of nowhere.

-Then after Tiffany and Not-Ping I thought "oh ok, there are a bunch of potential girlfriends and you have to choose one". Also nope. :) The funniest one was Ilyana, after rescuing her Wei says that she should lay low for a while and she speeds off in her boat, never to be seen again. (I think there may have been a bug in my game, I was able to do the Ilyana free running "date" mission prior to the sewer rescue mission, which I think is supposed to come first)

-The story has the problem of introducing characters and then killing them off only to introduce more characters. Peggy is killed off almost immediately after her introduction, which I found kind of jarring, and Uncle Po was erased quite quickly. There were also some characters who made an appearance and then weren't heard from for a long time. Pendrew and Big Smile Lee's henchman were both oddly absent from the middle of the game. There was also a strange gap in the mid-game after the wedding where I was expecting more story missions, but I couldn't advance the story until I completed Tang's police case. Overall it just seemed like there were a significant amount of cut story missions.

-I was really confused until just about the very end regarding who the bad guys were. I didn't bother reading the intelligence reports on the phone, so maybe things were explained in there, but I didn't understand who the 18k guys were for the longest time, if there were a rival Son On Yee triad or some gang outside the triads. I was especially confused when the 18k attacked Uncle Po's funeral when all the triad heads were there, include Big Smile Lee.

-Thus far the DLC has been disappointing. I'm in the middle (I assume) of Year of the Snake, and the whole kooky bomb cult is a major tonal shift from the deadly serious main storyline. The voice acting is really hokey as well. The missions aren't as rewarding without any more XP to earn or upgrades to unlock, and the game takes away a lot of your upgrades & cars etc. I wish that the DLC had inserted more content into the main game instead of being a stand-alone thing. Haven't tried Nightmare in North Point yet.

Overall it's a great game that can be had for cheap now. Hopefully nobody's upset that I brought this thread back, just had a great time playing and wanted to unpack some thoughts.

PS what is the thread title from? I don't recall ever hearing it in the game.

edit - one more: it seemed like Wei would have to make a choice between embracing his new family in the triad and becoming a criminal or sticking with the HKPD, there were a number of cutscenes around how Pendrew was crooked and Wei's inner conflict about following orders and refusing to come in, but the game abandons this angle returns you to the police without a second thought. I wonder if there were supposed to be multiple endings.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Sleeping Dogs gave me a jolt of "I haven't see this before" that I hadn't felt since GTA 3. It's fucking obscene they didn't get to expand on it.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Yeah, it's funny someone in the previous pages was comparing it to Stranglehold which I'm also playing currently. Stranglehold's fun, but it's got *nothing* on Sleeping Dogs.

Thought of another little issue: Driving was fun, and slow-motion shooting while the AI drives was fun, but driving myself and shooting was a bit much. I need to hold RT to drive, LS to steer, LB to draw my gun, RB to shoot my gun, and RS to aim...it was a bit much for a middle-aged gamer like myself. :)

• Options
    Hey, hope it's OK to bring this thread back...I finally have a computer capable of playing Sleeping Dogs and I just completed the main story. I don't really care for GTA type games or fighting games, but Sleeping Dogs was really compelling. I'm not much of a twitch gamer anymore and I couldn't be bothered to remember most of the moves/combos but I still enjoyed the combat system (the red outline that warns you when to counter made it playable for me). The story was great, with some minor weirdness that I assume is due to cut content.

-As mentioned upthread 7 years ago, the girlfriend missions were really strange. The game makes a huge deal out of introducing Amanda, and I thought "oh she's going to be an important character". Nope. You go on one date with her after the introductory cutscene/mission and then she vanishes. I thought the game was setting her up for a climatic moment in the endgame where you have to make a choice to reveal your true identity as an undercover cop to her. It was really strange that on the date she mentions Wei buying her a dress, which I definitely didn't do, and the implied sex scene was hilarious in that it absolutely came out of nowhere.

-Then after Tiffany and Not-Ping I thought "oh ok, there are a bunch of potential girlfriends and you have to choose one". Also nope. :) The funniest one was Ilyana, after rescuing her Wei says that she should lay low for a while and she speeds off in her boat, never to be seen again. (I think there may have been a bug in my game, I was able to do the Ilyana free running "date" mission prior to the sewer rescue mission, which I think is supposed to come first)

-The story has the problem of introducing characters and then killing them off only to introduce more characters. Peggy is killed off almost immediately after her introduction, which I found kind of jarring, and Uncle Po was erased quite quickly. There were also some characters who made an appearance and then weren't heard from for a long time. Pendrew and Big Smile Lee's henchman were both oddly absent from the middle of the game. There was also a strange gap in the mid-game after the wedding where I was expecting more story missions, but I couldn't advance the story until I completed Tang's police case. Overall it just seemed like there were a significant amount of cut story missions.

-I was really confused until just about the very end regarding who the bad guys were. I didn't bother reading the intelligence reports on the phone, so maybe things were explained in there, but I didn't understand who the 18k guys were for the longest time, if there were a rival Son On Yee triad or some gang outside the triads. I was especially confused when the 18k attacked Uncle Po's funeral when all the triad heads were there, include Big Smile Lee.

-Thus far the DLC has been disappointing. I'm in the middle (I assume) of Year of the Snake, and the whole kooky bomb cult is a major tonal shift from the deadly serious main storyline. The voice acting is really hokey as well. The missions aren't as rewarding without any more XP to earn or upgrades to unlock, and the game takes away a lot of your upgrades & cars etc. I wish that the DLC had inserted more content into the main game instead of being a stand-alone thing. Haven't tried Nightmare in North Point yet.

Overall it's a great game that can be had for cheap now. Hopefully nobody's upset that I brought this thread back, just had a great time playing and wanted to unpack some thoughts.

PS what is the thread title from? I don't recall ever hearing it in the game.

edit - one more: it seemed like Wei would have to make a choice between embracing his new family in the triad and becoming a criminal or sticking with the HKPD, there were a number of cutscenes around how Pendrew was crooked and Wei's inner conflict about following orders and refusing to come in, but the game abandons this angle returns you to the police without a second thought. I wonder if there were supposed to be multiple endings.

The string of "girlfriends" gets touched on in an intel report: Wei's deteriorating mental health is causing some unhealthy behaviors while he isn't able to commit to anyone. It's not the clearest implementation, but it does fit.

As for the ending, I think it fits. No matter how deep Wei got in with the Triad, it's never where he truly belongs. It's the same with him and Hong Kong in general. The game as a whole really nails the experience of being an Asian-American dealing with native Asians and some of the awkward encounters involved and the narrative follows the same kind of thing.

As for the DLC, I had fun with it but it was more about giving Wei some different abilities to mess around with more than plot. The pacing is off, especially with the way Wei keeps getting bumped up in role so quickly despite having been busted down to traffic cop (and I love that cut scene) but I had fun seeing the kinds of things Wei could do when he no longer had to hide being a cop and could make sure of a full suite of gear and legal authority. Stun gunning people quickly instead of the base game sequence of grappling was especially amusing for me.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    So I've basically finished the game at this point. Nightmare in North point was surprisingly fun (I thought it was going to be completely stupid)! I'm just cruising around the map now completing the races and cleaning up the last few face missions/collectables. There's also one water access drug bust at the North end of the map that I haven't gotten to yet. I wish there was some kind of new game+ mode.

All in all a great game. You should all go out and play Sleeping Dogs now!

• Options
    So I've basically finished the game at this point. Nightmare in North point was surprisingly fun (I thought it was going to be completely stupid)! I'm just cruising around the map now completing the races and cleaning up the last few face missions/collectables. There's also one water access drug bust at the North end of the map that I haven't gotten to yet. I wish there was some kind of new game+ mode.

All in all a great game. You should all go out and play Sleeping Dogs now!

Nightmare in North Point knew to not wear out its welcome and last just long enough to have fun with its ideas. It and the Zodiac Tournament set out to have fun with specific genres of Hong Kong movies and then wrap it all up in a fitting manner.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I am very glad you mentioned the Zodiac Tournament! I must have missed the call from Teng about it...I basically only did the drug busts, cop jobs, triad jobs, Teng's cases, story missions, and collectables. I skipped the fight clubs, chicken fights (???), and races, and so ignored the orange fist marker on my map. So that was a fun surprise, even though the final fight with the gears was a bit tricky.

Still haven't been to a cockfight yet.