As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii] Sega announces Pachinko collection with both Wi-Fi and Mii support

elkataselkatas Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Dumdi dum, Sega has announced Pachinko collection for Wii, and it has support for both Wi-Fi and Miis. Coming out 24th of May, 2007.

img10074088126.jpg

screen_4_01.jpg

Two stupid rumours squashed with single stone.

SOURCE

Hypnotically inclined.
elkatas on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it is interesting that this is the first non-Nintendo game that will use Miis.

Is that character from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

He is from Fist of the North Star.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    elkatas wrote: »

He is from Fist of the North Star.

same manga-ka, different homoerotically violent story.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought pachinko was essentially like a slot machine. How is that multiplayer in any respect?

I'm glad to see Miis being used, though -- it's something that works well with simple games that normally have no identities involved anyway.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It is just like a slot machine and the ones i've tried are not very fun.

And Buronson (the manga-ka of HnK) didn't write or draw for JoJo

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    I thought pachinko was essentially like a slot machine. How is that multiplayer in any respect?

No fucking idea, but the point is that it is coming out before June and has support for Wi-Fi.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'm glad to see Miis being used, though -- it's something that works well with simple games that normally have no identities involved anyway.

They could put a plunger on the other side and you could try to make your balls interfere with theirs.

18333hc3.jpg

(EDIT: from Mario 64 DS. The other machine with the pipe is way better, though.)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

They could put a plunger on the other side and you could try to make your balls interfere with theirs.

18333hc3.jpg

(EDIT: from Mario 64 DS. The other machine with the pipe is way better, though.)
    Ah, so it's like Plinko from The Price is Right!
    elkatas wrote:
    No fucking idea, but the point is that it is coming out before June and has support for Wi-Fi.
    Oh, I agree -- good to see both of those rumors quashed. The key, though, is how it's going to integrate Wi-Fi and if there are Friend Codes or not. That's what we're all waiting for.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's probably the greatest boxart ever.

bruin on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But... but... Nintendo isn't allowing 3rd parties to have online play!

This can not be

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yes. Pinball with no flippers, but the fact that you've got the plunger gives you some minor control. Although many modern pachinko machines even automate that, only letting you control the rate of fire.

Wikipedia:
    Originally, machines had a spring-loaded lever for shooting the balls individually, but modern machines use a round "throttle" that merely controls how quickly an electrically fired plunger shoots your balls onto the playfield. The balls then drop through an array of pins, and usually simply fall through to the bottom, but occasionally fall into certain gates which make the machine pay out more balls.

Most current machines include a slot machine, and the big winnings are ultimately paid not from the balls falling into gates, but from the slot machine matches that follow. In many modern machines the balls have nothing to do with determining winnings, which are based strictly on electronic random number generators.

The winnings are in the form of more balls, which the player may either use to keep playing, or exchange for tokens or prizes such as pens or cigarette lighters. Under Japanese law, cash cannot be paid out, but there is virtually always a small exchange centre located nearby (or sometimes in a separate room from the game parlor itself) where players can conveniently exchange tokens for cash. Such pseudo-cash gambling is theoretically illegal but from the sheer number of pachinko parlors in Japan it is clear that the activity is at least tacitly tolerated by the authorities.

It's nifty.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Good job destroying 2 rumors at once. Got anything to stop people from going "lol sony" yet?

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Good job destroying 2 rumors at once. Got anything to stop people from going "lol sony" yet?

Which rumors? I'm lost.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Which rumors? I'm lost.

One rumor that Nintendo wasn't allowing 3rd parties to make games with online play, and another rumor that Nintendo wasn't allowing 3rd parties to use Miis in their games.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ...so close. Pinball on the Wii would be rad, but speaking as a guy who owned a pachinko board as a kid, unless they turn this thing upside down, this is going to blow so hard.

A gigantic Wii-friendly compilation of all the greatest console and PC pinball games would be four shades of awesome, though, 'specially if they included Epic Pinball. C'mon, developers, make it so.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Which rumors? I'm lost.

No Miis in 3rd party titles, no wifi for 3rd parties in 2007.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    That's probably the greatest boxart ever.

If only because it will attract so perfectly the type of people that would play a compilation of video pachinko games.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If it isn't Pachinko Sexy Reaction, I'm not interested. :P

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yes. Pinball with no flippers, but the fact that you've got the plunger gives you some minor control. Although many modern pachinko machines even automate that, only letting you control the rate of fire.

Wikipedia:
    Originally, machines had a spring-loaded lever for shooting the balls individually, but modern machines use a round "throttle" that merely controls how quickly an electrically fired plunger shoots your balls onto the playfield. The balls then drop through an array of pins, and usually simply fall through to the bottom, but occasionally fall into certain gates which make the machine pay out more balls.

Most current machines include a slot machine, and the big winnings are ultimately paid not from the balls falling into gates, but from the slot machine matches that follow. In many modern machines the balls have nothing to do with determining winnings, which are based strictly on electronic random number generators.

The winnings are in the form of more balls, which the player may either use to keep playing, or exchange for tokens or prizes such as pens or cigarette lighters. Under Japanese law, cash cannot be paid out, but there is virtually always a small exchange centre located nearby (or sometimes in a separate room from the game parlor itself) where players can conveniently exchange tokens for cash. Such pseudo-cash gambling is theoretically illegal but from the sheer number of pachinko parlors in Japan it is clear that the activity is at least tacitly tolerated by the authorities.

It's nifty.

Why do they even have the pinball and other stuff if it doesn't determine if the player wins?

Couscous on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Why do the even have the pinball and other stuff if it doesn't determine if the player wins?

I don't know. Maybe there's a certain feeling to "pachinko" to the Japanese that they want to have the illusion of playing it despite that it's just a slot machine.

The pachinko I like is the stuff like the Mario one above.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Which rumors? I'm lost.

No Miis in 3rd party titles, no wifi for 3rd parties in 2007.

Didn't someone quote the entire article yesterday and point out that they were talking about virtual console titles?

Aoi on
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We had a pachinko machine when I was a kid. It broke down pretty quickly; I dreamed of fixing it someday, but all I could ever manage was opening the glass and accidentally bending the pins.

Is this game aimed at me? (What's that word the Japanese use for stupid whiteboy Americans (who buy pachinko machines)?)

TubaFrog on