As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Call of Cthulhu] The Haunting (IC/OOC)

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    Chet turns the room over and finds little else except dust, fragments and plentiful evidence of a rat infestation.

And then, above you.

Bogart on
    edited May 2012
    A loud noise reverberates throughout the house, its source from the floor above you.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    "What the...? Who's messing around up there?!" Chet hollers. He turns to Jisandra and George. "You guys see anyone going up?"
    Bogart wrote: »
    Chet turns the room over and finds little else except dust, fragments and plentiful evidence of a fat infestation.

Mfm6r.jpg

rRwz9.gif
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Jisandra shakes her head. "Maybe it's those vandals we were warned about? Let's investigate before whatever it is gets away." Jisandra waits for Chet to take the lead.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Chet takes Jisandra's candle and begins leading the way upstairs.

rRwz9.gif
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    OOC:
    Oh hey, I have internet again. First cesca's migraines and then no internet for a day and a half. The gods are clearly conspiring.

Jimmy says "Hang on, let me take a look first. This is the part I'm getting paid for, anyway."

edited May 2012
    You file down the hallway to where you guess the stairs must be located, and find them heading up and to the left. Another door is shut fast opposite, leading, you guess, to the basement. Jimmy volunteers to lead the way, and treads cautiously on the creaking boards. Jimmy reaches the top of the stairs, but on the last step he stumbles forward, loudly banging his arm against the wall in an effort to steady himself.

*THUMP*

The noise seems to be coming from the end of the upper hallway, behind the last of four doors to your left. To your right, three windows with drawn curtains.

*THUMP*

The noise seems to get louder, and dust falls from the ceiling with the vibration. The first door lies ajar, and behind it you can see a modest bathroom.

Bogart on
    edited May 2012
    It might just be the dust from the ceiling, but Chet looks a shade or two paler. "I....It's a little close in here, guys? Don't you think? I think it's a little....a little close." He goes to the first two windows and throws the curtains wide.

OOC:
    more like Jimmy MacFail oh ho ho ho ho

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    The windows a nailed shut, as they were downstairs, but the light that trickles through their dirty panes eases your nerves somewhat. You advance down the hall, pushing open the other doors as you do so. A master bedroom decorated with as many religious ornaments as the living room downstairs, followed by a smaller bedroom littered with abandoned toys. Two small cots indicate this was the children's room.

You advance to the third door, and are assaulted by a foul stench that seems to emanate from the room itself.
    Anyone who wants to make an occult roll about the stench may do so.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    As the stench creeps up Jisandra's nostrils she wrinkles her nose. She gasps and says, "Slow down, Chet, Jimmy. That odor is far worse than spoiled food."
    Occult Roll 1d100 → [39] = (39)

1d100=39

edited May 2012

Vanguard on
    Jimmy gives Chet a look and advances on the door, looking it over to see if there is any way to tell what might be on the other side: any keyhole, a gap at the bottom of the door, or even if just pressing an ear to it will make the source of the noise any clearer.

Jisandra recognises the smell as an odour she has encountered before, always before any ... strange ... occurrences. It is an odour she identifies with forces that wish harm.

Jimmy puts his ear to the door and listens hard. As he crouches down beside the door and concentrates he notices that something is glistening at the foot of the door. As he watches, the glistening thing grows outwards. He releases, with a start, that it is blood, slowly trickling out from underneath the door. Jimmy rocks back on his heels.

*THUMP*

"What? What is that, Jimmy? What the hell is that?"

rRwz9.gif
    "It's blood. There's something balled up going on here."

"You know what that smell is?" he says, addressing Jisandra, "Or was that just a complaint?"

Jimmy looks around for anything he can pick up and swing.

edited May 2012
    "Gentlemen," Jisandra begins in a hushed voice, "you may want to take the rumors about this place a little more seriously." She is oddly calm and collected. "This is beyond explanation."

"Back away from the door," she whispers. As Jisandra approaches, her eyelids grow heavy and her lips begin to quiver. She listens intently.

1d100 → [75] = (75) Listen

1d100=75

Vanguard on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    George reflexively puts up his fists. He's dealt with trouble before, but never something that bleeds before the fighting starts.

OOC:
    Sorry, been laid up after a minor surgery, been trying to keep up but got conked out for the whole past day basically

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited May 2012
    You think you can hear some kind of rattling, scrabbling sound from within the room, as though claws were pawing at a sheet of glass.

Bogart on
    "I got a tire iron in the car," Chet whispers. "I'm just...going to go get that." He edges tentatively toward the stairs, then pounds down to the first-floor hall, taking the steps two at a time.

rRwz9.gif
    Jimmy, looking increasingly tense, regards Jisandra.

"Do you know what this is, or not?"

then, to George, noting the raised fists: "I'm kicking the door in, you game?"

George kept looking at the door. He grunted. "Whatever's in there, is in there. Let's do this."

As Chet reappears behind you clutching a tire iron, Jimmy braces himself against the wall, then launches his foot at the door. It flies open, and your view of the room is momentarily obscured by a spray of blood inwards. You pause, horrified, as blood drips down from the frame of the door to the floor. It seems to have been running from above the doorway on the inside, and sprayed into the room as the door flew open. You can see nothing inside the room that might have caused the noise from the hallway, and the scratching noise has ceased. Inside the room is a bare iron bed and a window, curtains shut. The blood seems to be running dry, and soon stops dripping, though a sizeable pool has formed on the floor.

The open doorway seems to beckon to you.

"Jesus. Jesus Christ." Chet wanders ahead, almost in a daze, gripping the tire iron with white knuckles.

rRwz9.gif
    You look behind you as you enter the room, and you see that the blood seems to have erupted from the wall itself. You look at your companions, disbelief plain upon your face.

Behind you, in the room, at the window, you hear the scratching again.

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Cecil shouts and runs to the window. "Who the hell is messing with us?" He gets to the window, but before he pulls open the curtains his courage fails him.

"You can't expect me to believe... in ghosts, in this enlightened age!"

Jimmy, fists still clenched, takes a few wary steps forward. His face has a fixed, unreadable expression as his eyes dart around the room.

"'Sandra, you ever see anything like this before?"

George kneels down and inspects the blood pool.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3549512/

1d100 → [75] = (75)
    Chemistry roll to see if there is anything unusual about the blood. Chemistry percentile = 12

George can see nothing odd about the blood, except for the fact that it is seeping from the walls. It feels slightly warm, as if just shed from a human body, and seems to be absolutely genuine blood.

Jimmy sees nothing else in the room as he scans it.

As Cecil's fingers falter before drawing back the curtains, he turns to face his companions. As he does so, the bed lurches from its place across the floor towards him, impelled by some unknown force at horrible speed. Left with little room to maneuver, Cecil barely has time to try and jump out of the way. Behind him, the window, through which he will surely be launched if the bed hits him. His companions are seemingly helpless with sudden fright.
    Everybody make a SAN check as you witness this unnatural sight (roll equal or under your current SAN score) or lose 1D4 worth of SAN.

Greeper, Cecil needs to make a resisted DEX check to dive out of the way (roll equal or under 50 - your high DEX gives you a better chance than most). If he fails, he goes out the window and takes damage determined by me.

"Gah!" Cecil says, mind working more slowly than his body. He dances out of the way with a kind of preternatural grace that would have been more impressive if the audience hadn't been captivated by the actually supernatural sight before them. All those years of ballroom dancing and boxing, it seems, have paid off.

The bed slams into the spot so recently vacated by Cecil, who pirouettes over it and rolls neatly out of the room. The rest of the party stumbles out to the room before the bed can fling itself at them instead. The door slams shut as the last leaves the room.
    Holy crap what a roll, Greeper. You failed your SAN check, however, and should roll 1D4 to see how many points you lose.

Deep breaths. Slowly. Angry breathing.

"Okay, ghosts. Got it. Call me a believer."

Jimmy leans his head against the wall, clenches and unclenches his fists a few times and exhales heavily.

"So what do we do about ghosts? Burn down the house, find a priest? I don't even know where to start with something like this."

edited June 2012

Jisandra remains calm at the sight of the bed moving through some unknown force. "I have never seen the walls bleed, no. Objects shifting on their own is something I'm quite familiar with."

Jisandra fishes in her bag for a cigarette, lights it, and begins again, "The journals I took from the desk downstairs indicated one of the previous tenants was performing certain rituals. They mentioned something called a 'Shambler'. Unless anyone thinks they need to see more, we should take our leave to somewhere safe so that you can recover your wits and I can do some research."

Jisandra puffs at her cigarette, shifting her glance between the bed, the blood, and the window.

Sorry for the inactivity on Friday. I had a three day weekend and was away from my computer for a lot of it.

Vanguard on
    edited June 2012
    Chet drops the tire iron from numb fingers. "It's....a trick. Gotta be. That...that doesn't happen. None of that happens!" He begins pacing the hallway nervously, running his hands through his hair and sweating. He punches a wall. "WHADDA YA WANT FROM ME?"

SAN check for the bed. (1d100=97) is the sound of a whiffed SAN check!

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    Just @Eddy
    to go for the SAN test, though anyone else can continue with actions and so forth.

@Eddy
    SAN check first, Eddy. Roll a D100: if you get equal to or lower than your SAN you suffer no loss.