As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gaming during downtime while on the job?

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Games and Technology
My new job is pretty easy. I fix the computers that didn't get fixed during the week, and do some light remote administration. Nothing on-site, all here at the bench. I'm here alone for 8 hours and some days, like today, there's nothing left to do after lunch. I've been studying the documentation for the remote administration software we use but I've about read it all, and so coming Saturdays are likely to be less and less busy as I get everything tuned and working.

The boss doesn't care what I do on company time as long as all the work gets done and I don't break the law. At least that's what he told me.

So what gaming can I get done in here by myself with nothing to do? I don't have any workstation with dedicated graphics hardware and some of these machines are pretty ancient. The one I'm using now is newer, running Windows 7 with 3 gigs of ram and a E4400 (dual core @ 2.0ghz). None of them have any speakers.

It'd probably be best to play something turn based or easily pauseable, and also probably windowed, so I can attend to any admin alerts that come through and not miss the actual work of the job I do.

Any ideas, people?

EDIT: I own a DS Lite, a 3DS, and a PSP if that helps. And I have barely used the 3DS and PSP.

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have four words for you.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

You will not have to worry about finding something to do in your downtime for a very long time.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I don't have any money at the moment to check, but can SMAC be run in a window? That would make it even easier to spend all this free time I have lying around.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'd say any games by Amanita Design if you want some point and click adventure games. I'm pretty sure they can all be run in windows. I'm playing their newest one, Botanicula right now.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Ooh I own that one but haven't tried it yet. How does it play without sound?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    You could easily play it without sound, but be warned the sound and music is some of the best stuff in the game.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I wouldn't play Botanicula without the sound.

All the chirps and weird voiced stuff is fantastic and you'd definitely be missing out.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the newer machine should have onboard sound at least, surely, to allow you to plug in a cheapo pair of speakers?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    You could pretty much play any portable game as all modern handhelds have good sleep functions.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics have always helped me kill hours of time. There's also Tetris for the DS/3DS and Lumines (the original was my favorite) for the PSP. They should all be fairly cheap right now.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I know this isn't helpful but "on the job" in The Queens's english means shagging (having sex).

Evidently, this is not what you were asking about.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Louie wrote: »
    I know this isn't helpful but "on the job" in The Queens's english means shagging (having sex).

Evidently, this is not what you were asking about.

Still a valid query. Sex workers need to get their game on too.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    What kind of company are we talking here? Small business? Big corporate?

Just because the boss doesn't care how you spend your time doesn't mean someone else won't.

If you're using a PC, I'd stick with games that'll run from a flash drive, or the handheld consoles. Leave no trace on company property.

• Options
    citizen059 wrote: »

Just because the boss doesn't care how you spend your time doesn't mean someone else won't.

If you're using a PC, I'd stick with games that'll run from a flash drive, or the handheld consoles. Leave no trace on company property.

10 employees, 1 boss, no managers. We have free reign of the PCs in the tech bay area.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »

Pretty much this. If you want to further your career everyone needs more skills, so if you've got downtime at work it's the best time to get into it. You get something out of it, you can apply it to your current work and the people around you will think you better of it. Also your downtime will be better for it.

It's much more crucial because it's IT, even if the team is over-shooting KPIs and keeping everything running it takes half a second for opinion to turn sour and either you get heat for not looking busy' or your boss does and has to defend you. Not saying it's right, it's just how the game is. I'm not trying to sound like an old fuddy-duddy - it's just something to consider. FWIW I'm just a DBA who routinely gets asked 'What I do' even from people internal to the IT department. Perception is everything.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Guys, what are we doing? He asked for some games to play during his down time, not career advice.

anoffday on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Guys, what are we doing? He asked for some games to play during his down time, not career advice.

Fair call, but I've been in the same seat as the original poster - then it was the graveyard shift on a support desk. I had ideas about gaming during the times when things were quiet and I did for a bit, but eventually stopped. With hindsight, I would have benefitted from someone laying it out like that early on.

But to contribute to the core question, handhelds are best. If you want to hit PC games then first you have to focus on the older stuff because they can be hid / minimized better and cost less system resources. I'd go Heroes of Might and Magic 3, since you can buy a downloadable copy for 10 bucks and the entire thing is turn based, thus can be picked up and dropped as your attention permits. Check out GoG because the stuff the sell is stuff that can be ferried around easily.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I play a lot of Minecraft at work, along with Doom and Heretic and Quake and I've also been playing Myst and going to start playing Riven soon and playing Arcanum and Planescape: Torment was also a lot of fun. Someone brought a copy of Halo and installed it on all the computers out here too and we play against each other and/or against random pubbies. Tribes 2 works rather well, and so does Gothic 1 and 2. There are a lot more games I've played at work that I can't think of off the top of my head and they all worked from my flash drive.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ARPGs and skulking GoG's catalogue.

They'd all be tiny games, even ARPGs aren't generally that big. In GoG's case, cheap games that can be deeper than modern titles and are totally free of DRM, so they can be moved around on flashdrives.

In the case of ARPGs, I offer this as why you should go for them:

Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click.

Click. Loot!

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    I don't have any money at the moment to check, but can SMAC be run in a window? That would make it even easier to spend all this free time I have lying around.

Sadly there is no windowed mode for SMAC.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    All my downtime at work is devoted to Picross 3D

It's perfect for short bursts

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Games you can easily pause are the best if your job is not busy at all most of the time. I used to bring my DS and a Pokemon game to work, for example. But if you want, say, a PC game, then go for something which is easy to tear yourself away from, both mechanics-wise (turn-based) and emotionally (something not too involved with lots of cutscenes).

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I suggest a heap of roguelikes Harvest.

I know you love em.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shutdown wrote: »

Fair call, but I've been in the same seat as the original poster - then it was the graveyard shift on a support desk. I had ideas about gaming during the times when things were quiet and I did for a bit, but eventually stopped. With hindsight, I would have benefitted from someone laying it out like that early on.

But to contribute to the core question, handhelds are best. If you want to hit PC games then first you have to focus on the older stuff because they can be hid / minimized better and cost less system resources. I'd go Heroes of Might and Magic 3, since you can buy a downloadable copy for 10 bucks and the entire thing is turn based, thus can be picked up and dropped as your attention permits. Check out GoG because the stuff the sell is stuff that can be ferried around easily.

Sticking first and primarily with the advice Shutdown said about learning skills in your downtime, more thread relevant advice on my part would be that Frozen Synapse sounds ideal, especially if you're going to be playing online (bear with me, the game is structured so that you can basically log in and out whenever you want to continue games. A bit like online chess).

Simultaneous turn based squad level tactical game, it is extremely good. Can run in windowed mode, resource light, and very in-depth. Because the online is effectively play by e-mail you can stop and start whenever you want for however you want. If you're playing an online game, you plan out your move and submit it to the server, your opponent does the same, and when both turns are in, you can both log in to see the results, and then submit your next move whenever you like. I think there's an overall time limit of 2 weeks to submit a turn though. Most games are played out in single sessions since they're relatively short, but you can effectively leave it whenever you want. A lot of people (myself included) often run several games simultaneously, so whilst you're waiting for moves in one match you're plotting out in another.

They key thing about Frozen Synapse as a tactical game is that it's completely deterministic. The core of the game is that not only can you simulate all the actions your units can do, but you can also completely simulate enemy actions as well. You plan out your moves, simulate the course of action that you expect your opponent to take, and see how the results pan out. You then submit your turn, and if your opponent did what you expected them to, things play out exactly as you simulated them. It's the most awesome feeling when you predict an opponent's strategy precisely and countermand it.

It genuinely is about out-witting your opponent, and can sometimes get into wheels-within-wheels thinking of "alright, if he expects me to behave this way because his obvious move is to do that thing, and he's actually going to instead work to countermand that instead, then maybe I should instead do this other thing instead to countermand his counter-plan and..."

TotalBiscuit did a pretty gushing review of it back when it came out.

subedii on
  • Options
    subedii wrote: »

Sticking first and primarily with the advice Shutdown said about learning skills in your downtime, more thread relevant advice on my part would be that Frozen Synapse sounds ideal, especially if you're going to be playing online (bear with me, the game is structured so that you can basically log in and out whenever you want to continue games. A bit like online chess).

Simultaneous turn based squad level tactical game, it is extremely good. Can run in windowed mode, resource light, and very in-depth. Because the online is effectively play by e-mail you can stop and start whenever you want for however you want. If you're playing an online game, you plan out your move and submit it to the server, your opponent does the same, and when both turns are in, you can both log in to see the results, and then submit your next move whenever you like. I think there's an overall time limit of 2 weeks to submit a turn though. Most games are played out in single sessions since they're relatively short, but you can effectively leave it whenever you want. A lot of people (myself included) often run several games simultaneously, so whilst you're waiting for moves in one match you're plotting out in another.

They key thing about Frozen Synapse as a tactical game is that it's completely deterministic. The core of the game is that not only can you simulate all the actions your units can do, but you can also completely simulate enemy actions as well. You plan out your moves, simulate the course of action that you expect your opponent to take, and see how the results pan out. You then submit your turn, and if your opponent did what you expected them to, things play out exactly as you simulated them. It's the most awesome feeling when you predict an opponent's strategy precisely and countermand it.

It genuinely is about out-witting your opponent, and can sometimes get into wheels-within-wheels thinking of "alright, if he expects me to behave this way because his obvious move is to do that thing, and he's actually going to instead work to countermand that instead, then maybe I should instead do this other thing instead to countermand his counter-plan and..."

TotalBiscuit did a pretty gushing review of it back when it came out.

It also has a badass soundtrack, if that matters to you.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Check out Keldon's AI for the card game Race for the Galaxy. It's a great strategy game (though the iconography can be off-putting at first). Keldon's program (free and legal) allows you to play against 1-3 AI's, using any combination of the expansions that have been released so far. Games take about 10 minutes, it's completely turn-based so you can pause whenever, runs in a window, does not require sound, and requires basically no graphics capability, though the card art is really nice.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've gotten into this Facebook game Urban Rivals. It's a simple card game were you can buy new characters with in game money, has different modes and most battles take about 5-7 minutes. It's match making could use some work as it will sometimes pair you up with someone five times your level but even then you can still beat them with a little strategy and luck. And if you want more "Clintz" (in game money) then head to their main page and watch some video while doing other things to get quick cash.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    HappyNapperHappyNapper Registered User new member
    I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for the original poster. What game did "harvest" choose? What do you think of enhancing your skills during downtime? It may be good to try and mix the two: game some time, improve-skills other times. That way your mind doesn't become a bowl of jelly from the games, neither does it become a block of marble from studying.

• Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    Ginormo Sword

It can suck a surprising number of hours from your life.

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for the original poster. What game did "harvest" choose? What do you think of enhancing your skills during downtime? It may be good to try and mix the two: game some time, improve-skills other times. That way your mind doesn't become a bowl of jelly from the games, neither does it become a block of marble from studying.
    I haven't chosen anything yet. Saturdays are the down days, and Saturday is over!

As far as the skills/gaming dichotomy go I do intend to do both. I can't game for 4 hours straight at work and feel good about myself. On the other hand I can't study for 4 hours straight and stay sane.

I suspect I'll end up playing some Roguelikes. Probably Stone Soup :) And also Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS, I totally forgot I had that until I came home yesterday and started going through my box of portable games.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Ginormo Sword

It can suck a surprising number of hours from your life.

oh god no not again no no no

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Mudding, maybe? Personally, I'd catch up on reading.

Edit: Fallout 1. Then Fallout 2. Turn-based, fairly immersive.

Edit edit: This is why I hated IT, incidentally. You could use the time to study up to a more skilled/interesting position. Or learn Spanish. Rosetta Stone ftw.

Justice on
  • Options
    HappyNapperHappyNapper Registered User new member
    Justice wrote: »
    ...Or learn Spanish. Rosetta Stone ftw.

I know that this is OT, but for Spanish, check out Michel Thomas Audio CDs. That's how I improved my spanish: it's like I was participating in a class.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'd go with Picross 3d or catching all the Pokemon myself. I worked in a call center one time for insurance inbound sales calls and there were a couple of people with GBPockets seeing who could complete their Pokedex the quickest.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular

I've worked in situations where the boss says "hey, it's okay, do whatever". Unfortunately it only takes one disgruntled co-worker to ruin it for everyone (or just for you).

That's just how businesses work - even stuff you are given permission to do can be used against you later if someone feels like it. At my last job, people were told that internet & email were for company use only, personal use was expected to be kept to a minimum. Of course everyone in the company used them for personal reasons to some extent, but it was never enforced so people did it without much care because the supervisors said "hey, as long as you get your work done it's fine".

Then when someone decides they want to fire you, all they need to do is pull up your internet history or your email and say "oh look, you've been using company resources for personal use, you're gone."

That's why I said if you gotta do it, even if the boss says it's okay, leave no trace. Use the handhelds or use a game that is completely contained on a flash drive.

My latest addiction is DoomRL, which is DOOM in a turn-based roguelike format. That'd be my recommendation.