As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla] of Cables: Persephone's Kiss [Cycle End: Recovery]

I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boomRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Critical Failures
The world was always ending, for someone.

On the screen in front of him, Marcus watched the news of the day. A man jumped from a skyscraper, falling to his death. The camera did not show him land, but they were willing to show the thief dart to his body before anyone else and take something from his pocket. “NEW DETAILS IN PERSEPHONE SCANDAL EMERGE” scrolled across the bottom of the screen. “PHALLEN AUTHORIZED EXPERIMENTATION AS EARLY AS 2180”.

Marcus did not display any emotion as he watched the man die, because an hour ago Marcus had been pulled from his mother's room in the hospital as her breathing stopped and doctors rushed into the room. An hour later and they had not come back. The world was ending.

“Mr. Bell?” a voice behind him asked. Marcus turned and looked at the doctor who spoke. “Could you come with me?”

The impassive display Marcus had displayed as he stared at the news wavered. He closed his eyes and let his forehead rest against the back of the seat for a moment. The breath he took as he sat back up was far more haggard than he wanted. Sympathetically, the doctor offered him a hand to help stand up. Marcus didn't take it.

They walked through the sterile hall of the hospital. The light hurt Marcus' eyes. He endured. He had to endure. When they reached his mother's room, the door ajar, he nearly fell again. He endured.

“This is an unusual situation,” the doctor continued, “And there isn't any protocol for dealing with it. You have my apologies.”

When he saw his mother's body, Marcus cracked. His brother was in Seoul in business, so Marcus had to be strong, but he could not do it anymore. His mother was dead. His mother was dead. The doctor waited.

“Could you log in?” he asked as Marcus managed to stand again, gesturing to the Veer equipment in the room. The oddity of the request made Marcus pause.

“N-now?” he said, unable to control his voice.

“Please,” the doctor answered, “Trust me.”

Marcus walked to the equipment, nearly in a stupor. The chair was next to his mother's body. He closed his eyes as he sat down, and inserted the wires.

When he opened his eyes again a glorious forest glade met his eyes. Above him the sky shone brilliant blue, birds singing their songs in reverie of the sunlight. The doctor materialized before him, dressed in in bright white suit of a medical official on duty. He greeted Marcus with a nod, and gestured to the side. Sitting on a stump was a beautiful woman in the prime of her life, glorious blonde hair and stunning body. A small deer calf ate from her hand.

“That's my mother,” Marcus said quietly.

“It's not unheard of for some mental processes to cause individuals to stay logged in to the Veer for up to three minutes after death, but not longer than that,” the doctor began. “Jane's heart stopped approximately an hour ago, and based on her presence here we thought we could pull her back. But...” He paused, considering his words carefully. “We can't. She's...passed on.”

“But she hasn't,” Marcus stammered slightly, staring at his mother. She glanced up, noticing the both of them for the first time, and smiling.

“She has,” the doctor corrected, “....But she hasn't.”

The world ripped away from Marcus as he disconnected, returning to the clean hospital room. He gripped his mother's cold wrist in a desperate search for a pulse, before running his hands over his face and groaning. Walking to the window he looked out at the red Martian sky and cried.

PLANET OF CABLES: PERSEPHONE'S KISS
fw:fw:fw:re:lol:cyberminiphalla for 25 players

Something is wrong on Mars. The body dies, but in the cross-planet virtual reality network of the Veer the mind persists. Nothing can account for this. The monopoly over the Veer, the Phallen Corporation, finds itself embroiled in yet another scandal. In desperation the assassination of difficult individuals is authorized. For unknown reasons IZANAMI announces democratically decided executions. An previously irritating Veer virus becomes deadly with the new immortality. Faced with a new frontier of life, previously subdued tensions erupt. The world is ending for someone – will you let it be you?

Welcome to Planet of Cables: Persephone's Kiss! In this game players will take the role of a citizen of Mars: either a member of the city's seedy cyberunderbelly, or of the Phallen Corporation, who are mean. Each player will also have an online identity in the Veer, the virtual reality network that has replaced the internet because it is the future. When a player dies on Mars, their body in the Veer persists, and vice-versa. On Mars, the players try to eliminate an informed minority as an uninformed majority. In the Veer, allegiances and factions differ and vie for supremacy. A player may fail in one world, but find success in the other. Which will you value? Who will you betray? What world is worth living in?

This would probably be considered an experimental game to most people. Because I am a crazy person I consider it a party game. While I have attempted to balance this as well as it can be, I have erred on the side of “fun” and “crazy” in a few locations. Good play should still trump all, and no man shall be invincible...but you might see a few things that in isolation seem really, really good (and stupid (mostly stupid)). Much of what I'm experimenting with is how players choose what to do, and that is very difficult to predict. Most of all, what I would encourage is that players play to the spirit of the phalla if not the letter. One of the catches with any sort of mechanic where removal from the game is not necessarily immediate is that it's really, really good for the village. So I hope some of what I've done takes away from that power.

Speaking of what I've done, here are some GAME SPECIFIC RULES.

-If one world reaches an end-of-the-game scenario, the other world will have one last day for players to attempt to achieve their victory conditions, unless it is day 7. If somehow the village is made of genius savants and takes out all of the mafia in 4 days, the Veer factions will have one final scrambling day to try and achieve their own victories.

-Unless otherwise specified, all abilities can only target players active in their world. Self-explanatory.

-The first role a player dies as cannot achieve their victory condition. This is a rule that goes against much of phalla, and much of how people play phalla. Sorry! This is a rule meant to further encourage playing to the spirit of the game if not the letter. I recognize that this sucks for those who die early, and I hope they can have fun anyway, but let's face it it sucks to die early no matter. I also recognize that I can't stop players from feeling like they get a VC anyway but hey. Whatevs.

-Players will not have faction information revealed on death until they die in the game and in real life. By which I mean the Veer and Mars. This isn't a rule for you this is a rule for me what is it doing here.

-There are no thralls, millers, conversions, or eavesdroppers. This isn't even a rule this is a clarification what the fuck this is just a goddamn mess.

-When you die in one world you no longer need to send in actions or votes for that world, but are still expected to do so for the world you persist in. Okay here we go this seems like a rule though it also feels like it should just be common sense. Whatever I'm shutting this whole section down.

All standard phalla rules apply. Do not share screencaps. Do not add players to conversations. Link the host to proboards. Do not communicate anonymously. Do not speak in code. Edited vote posts don't count. One death post when you die for real. Don't speak with the dead. If you are not new to phalla these are not new rules. If you are new to phalla hahahaha oh man did you pick a game to start on.

VOTING AND SIGNUPS

Vote close will be at 7 PM PST OR 8 PM PST. Please indicate which is best for you when you signup! At least one vote and one other post is expected of a player to meet activity requirements, but more is encouraged.

ORDER OF ACTIONS

Order of actions is logically simultaneous, with the vote coming first but not blocking actions.

GAME START

Is up for debate, due to how much people hate weekends. Current plan is to start SATURDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING presuming signups are concluded then, with day 1 concluding SUNDAY EVENING, so that the part where everyone starts playing the game for real (Day 2) begins in time for Monday.

liEt3nH.png
I needed anime to post. on

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    PLAYER LIST:

SLyM – Elena Ankounyanyannyan:3 (The Cat)
    M.D. - Erebusa SorayamaAcies (White Night)
    Langly – Orbit NineMalice Gutterspike (Warcraft 6)
    stever777 – Jake FridayPhalanx (White Night)
    vagrant_winds – La Ghedebig freeze (And All Of Us)
    kime – Cassandra Ferrimanzero (The Tumour)
    Rend – Professor Nubris OsironCaptatio (White Night)
    Cayrus – Kisin Yum KimilTrickster Spirit (The Apathetic
    tastypastry – Vuokko Tuonelahope (And All Of Us)
    Smoove Operator – The PsychopimpJezebelle Lila (The Hooker)
    Alegis – Scratchanarchanist (In.Frequency)
    SaberOverEasy – Tomi Velescrucifixation (In.Frequency)
    Lucedes – Sammy Dbig crunch (And All Of Us)
    Assuran – Shahnaz Zohhakbig rip (And All Of Us)
    Bedlam – Maria Ghainghain207 (The Social)
    ObiFett - “One Eye” KeenRENDDEAL.COM (The Merchant)
    Anialos – James ReaperLux (White Night)
    Retaba – Marie La CroixLenaya Deadwood (Warcraft 6)
    REG Rysk – River Sixtheatreum (In.Frequency)
    jdarksun – Minh Ha DesGlukk Cactuseater (Warcraft 6)
    Void Slayer – Izrail Poebig bounce (And All Of Us)
    TheRoadVirus – Thane AtrusHenry Miller (The Antivirus)
    The Anonymous – No True IzanamiNo True Izanami (The Flirt)
    Capfalcon – Aarun DuatJus Soli (White Night)

The Real:
    1. SLyM
    2. Langly - Orbit Nine
    3. Anialos
    4. Assuran
    5. ObiFett
    6. Cayrus
    7. The Anonymous - No True Izanami
    8. Bedlam - Maria Ghain
    9. jdarksun - Minh Ha Des
    10. Void Slayer - Izrail Poe
    11. kime - Cassandra Ferriman
    12. Alegis - Scratch
    13. Retaba - Marie La Croix
    14. REG Rysk - River Six
    15. M.D.
    16. TheRoadVirus - Thane Atrus
    17. Rend
    18. SaberOverEasy
    19. stever777 - Jake Friday
    20. Capfalcon - Aarun Duat
    21. vagrant_winds
    22. Smoove Operator
    23. tastypastry - Vuokko Tuonela
    24. Lucedes

The Veer:
    1. SLyM - nyannyannyan:3
    2. Langly
    3. Anialos
    4. Assuran - big rip
    5. ObiFett - RENDDEAL.COM
    6. Cayrus
    7. The Anonymous - No True Izanami
    8. Bedlam - ghain207
    9. jdarksun - Glukk Cactuseater
    10. Void Slayer - big bounce
    11. kime - zero
    12. Alegis
    13. Retaba
    14. REG Rysk - theatreum
    15. M.D.
    16. TheRoadVirus - Henry Miller - Victory
    17. Rend
    18. SaberOverEasy
    19. stever777
    20. Capfalcon - Jus Soli
    21. vagrant_winds - big freeze
    22. Smoove Operator
    23. tastypastry - hope
    24. Lucedes

Reserves:
    1. MrTLicious

Day One
    Day Two
    Day Three
    Day Four
    Day Five
    The End

liEt3nH.png
    i hate doing OPs i have probably forgotten something please ask questions

liEt3nH.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Replace langly with me as number 1 RIGHT NOW

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    This looks way too good to not at least !reserve

MrTLicious on
    You aren't very good at reading directions, are you.

:cry:

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    langly has seniority signup 1 request

liEt3nH.png
    Also holy fucking balls this looks fun as shit.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Another phalla? YES PLEASE!!!

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Since I died day 1 in the main because I apparently posted a little kitten and mafia's hate kittens, I must avenge myself. Or something. 10 or 11 EST are both ok with me.

Assuran on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    langly has seniority signup 1 request
    Hopefully a month from now it'll be over! @Langly can attest that I've been picking his brain with some theoretical setups.

It should be really stupid and not well balanced and I'm really looking forward to it!

:(

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2012
    i suspect you're reading too far into "setups"

much of what i discussed with langly is on the actual format of the game, stuff like actually deciding to do two roles

i didn't go like "so what do you think, 5 groups of 3 and four neutrals?" or whatever

basically the key word in that quote is "theoretical" not "setups"

langly's knowledge functionally extends to "double phalla" and seeing the OP before everyone else
    but if you're worried just day 1 him

liEt3nH.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    THIS SOUNDS AWESOME!

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    This could be a thing

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Brass was really cool.

I was wondering if youd ever do another :P

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Wait, do we vote for one person out each day for both worlds or one for each or.. what?

Upload!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

It sounds really interesting. But I must admit, the "no victory after death" rule has be hesitating...

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I'd love this, but I go on vacation tomorrow and will be highly inactive. I'll watch it though! :D

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Don't mind when the vote is closed, I'll be in bed way before either closing time.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I find myself bereft of any phallas! This will do just ffffiiiinnneeee .

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Oh wow, that sounds a lot dirtier than I intended, hmm.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    INANTP's last was Brass mini?

I am in

@Rend - where you at brah?

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    !sign up

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Retaba shall fall to my... viruses?

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Only if you guys promise not to day 1 me again.

• SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Two Phallas at the same time? Madness!

Rend wrote: »

I am going to vote for you for pha/lla inactivity though

just so you know

SANGUINE DOES NOT FORGET

Alegis wrote: »

just so you know

SANGUINE DOES NOT FORGET

I am so sorry, it was an immense mistake to sign up for that on finals week.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    I always worry about Langly's powers!
    Signy

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular

just so you know

SANGUINE DOES NOT FORGET

I am so sorry, it was an immense mistake to sign up for that on finals week.

I grant you absolution on this Rend, because you are so awesome.
    THIS TIME

I'll retract my vote if it becomes a wagon

for you

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    But that's when it gets really fun!

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    I'll retract my vote if it becomes a wagon

for you

<3<3<3

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Dammit Rend, why you gotta play when I can't?? :(

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Got it.

I promise to day 1 you rend.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Beep Boop I am a spaceman.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    !Signing up to Day 1 Rend

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    i suspect you're reading too far into "setups"

much of what i discussed with langly is on the actual format of the game, stuff like actually deciding to do two roles

i didn't go like "so what do you think, 5 groups of 3 and four neutrals?" or whatever

basically the key word in that quote is "theoretical" not "setups"

langly's knowledge functionally extends to "double phalla" and seeing the OP before everyone else
    but if you're worried just day 1 him
    So...no one looked at the balance then?

steam_sig.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    it's two phallas at once! it's gonna be fun!