As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Really worried about a friend. Think he's schritzo(sp?)

TommattTommatt Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I don't know if this is an ok topic or not, but I'm really worried about a friend who's on the opposite coast of me. And with how big this forum is, maybe somebody has dealt with it.

I know this isn't a support section, or self help, or any of that, but I'm actually scared for the guy and don't know what to do.

He has trouble sleeping, and things somebody is drugging his place so he can't sleep. He thinks people are putting shit in his food, and being followed. He things people at his work are out to get him. I told him I was worried and he needs tk talk to somebody, maybe go to VA (veterans affairs. He's former air force) he says they're in on it.

I'm so worried about the guy. I'm in CA, he's in Louisiana. Ive suggested he go seek help, yet he thinks it's a big conspiracy against him. Have no clue what to do. I honestly think he may do harm to himself, and worry it could lead to harm against others if he doesn't get help.

I'm looking for any kind of advice or ideas. I try to talk to him as much as I can, but it's kinda hard when in the back of your head you think he's nuts. The txt messages I get from him are so random and paranoid, and they all sound like he's about ready to kill himself.

Has anybody dealt with a schitzo family member/friend? Is there anything I can do?

I know this isn't self help arcade forums, but I am worried and have no clue what to do/where to look.

This will probably get closed as I'm not sure it's D&D material, but I have tk ask and try. Please don't be a goose and only reply if you have something to add/help.

Echo on

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I think you may find a better response in the Help and Advice subforum. I can't really offer anything constructive, but I hope he gets help.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The most you can really do is look for resources that can assist him. If he's succumbed to denial, you may not be able to get through to him at this point. It would be helpful for you just to have knowledge of resources available, I'm sure the internet can provide you with some places to call and start looking.

I can't speak to the merit of these institutions, but google turns up a few results for mental health in Louisiana;

http://www.mhal.org/

http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/97/n/116

http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/localandregional/l/bllouisiana.htm

You could start with these perhaps. It can be daunting to look for help for yourself or those close to you, but with patience you may be able to figure something out. At the very least they can offer you advice that you won't be able to find here.

Realize you may not be able to do much as a friend.

Lucid on
  • Options
    Thank you both. I honestly didn't know there was a help and advice sub forum. I normally stick to G&T and D&D for tv shows / movies. I only posted this because I'm seriously worried, and have no clue, and the Internet being what it is/PA being so big, im gonna guess somebody has dealt with this.

Gonna look at those sites lucid. Thx again to both of you for the advice.

Me and the guy who I'm worried about hadn't really talked in 10 years ( besides FB etc) even though we were friends in JH/HS, and kept in touch. I answered a call at almost 3am and have been worried since between that call, other calls, and txt's from him. Something isn't right here.

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    You should get in touch with other family members of his immediately if you think he's a danger to himself or others. If they don't seem to respond you should look up his local VA system and talk to someone there and voice your concerns. He's definitely got some paranoia going on.

• Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    My brother was diagnosed as having shizoaffective disorder when he was a pre-teen (he's now almost 30). It's kind of a mood disorder combined with psychotic episodes. There were a lot of things that lead to him going to a psychiatrist, chief among them being fears from the school and my parents that'd he'd harm himself or other people. It was a pretty scary time when he was going through that. I remember a lot of very violent outbursts from him, directed at himself and me at times.

My brother does not take any medicine by his choice, and because of this he still lives at home without a job.

If you really fear your friend is a danger to himself or others, contact one of his family members and hopefully they can get him seen by a professional. These kinds of episodes are things that definitely need attention, and if your friend is willing, treatment.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The hard part is getting him willing to. He thinks everyone is a part of this "conspiracy" against him. I don't know what it is. Like I said he thinks people are drugging him etc... He doesn't make sense a lot of the time. When I first suggested that he go to the VA, because I was worried about him, he said ok. Then he said they're in on it.

I'll try and get a hold of some of his family and see if they can talk with him, maybe get him to go see someone. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. If something happened to him I'd regret not trying to get him help.

Per the advice I've received from you guys, I tracked down his mom on FB and asked her to call me. Thanks again everyone.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately, as a friend, you are very limited in what you can do. Reaching out to his family is a good way to start, but you should be prepared for a lot of push back and rejection. You aren't giving her good news, so don't expect that she will welcome what you are saying with open arms.

I had a roommate in college who had what I'd call a "psychotic break" (IANAPsychologist). He was always a bit of a quirky guy, but was quite friendly and hard-working, and since he was an Italian graduate student, we always chalked up his idiosyncracies to cultural differences and whatnot. Unfortunately, one day he just lost it, tore off his clothes, and walked several hours down to Santa Monica Pier and started yelling at people and generally acting crazy. Shortly after being picked up by the cops and placed in the psychiatric ward, he was deported. I still remember his parents coming by the apartment to pick up his things before taking him back to Italy... The look in their eyes was quite sad, and his mother couldn't stop crying.

I'm just trying to prepare you for what may or may not happen. How people will react to what you're going to say will depend on a host of factors completely outside of your control. You should also be open to the idea that you may be wrong somehow.

As a quick note, I've been told that the period between the late teens and early thirties is often when psychological issues like this can manifest most severely. It may be that he's reaching the tipping point in terms of deterioration, which is why you're seeing his behavior change so drastically as of late.

Best of luck, and I hope everything turns out well for all involved.

• Options
    Thank you guys for giving me the balls to get in touch with his family.

Turns out its kinda known, talked to his bro, and he's about to do the hardest step. Is about to get him forcibly commuted if it comes to that. We talked for about an hour and in a lot of ways the hardest conversation I've had.

Still txt'ing the guy etc... Hoping he seeks help on his own, but now I know there's at least a brother who cares about him.

Thanks again for giving me the balls to make that call

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Wanted to thank everyone here. Not sure how it'll turn out, but got ahold of his brother who seems to care and knows what's going

I luckily contacted him on Facebook and had an hour long conversation with him. He's worried as I am, and is quite scared. He's offered a place to live and a place to get help. Unfortunately we're all west cost guys and he (my friend) took a job in Louisiana . So it's much on him to come out and get help.

Unfortunately the brother has called places out there and they don't seem to care.*edit* And he just recently lost his job so if he doesn't seek help/get committed/ come to where people are willing to help him, he could end up on the streets lost */edit*

Hes about to try and get him forcibly admitted. I hate the idea, so does he, but my call to him may have given him strength. I'm honestly not sure if I could do it to my brother, but would hope I could. It's not an easy thing to go, but the guy needs help. I hope he's going to get it.

Me and the brother agreed to keep in touch, and not tell my friend we talked. If we did, he might think we were in on it .

I think he may have to make the hard decision, and I'd like to think me calling him and letting him know I was worried /etc will give him the strength to make that hard choice, if it comes to that.

Thank you all in this thread. Without you suggesting me to get ahold of his family, I don't think I would have.

And, btw, that was one of the hardest conversations I've ever had to have. I had no clue how to begin, what to say. Hope he gets well.

Thanks again.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Billy ChenowithBilly Chenowith Registered User regular
    It's probably not so much that they don't care, but rather that your friend can't be forced into treatment unless he's shown to be a danger to himself or others.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I've got a brother with the same disorder. FYI, the outlook for them isn't real good, real full recovery is rare. They have a hard time staying on their medications and holding jobs. If they don't' have someone to look after them they usually end up homeless.

Also what Billy said, you can't lock people up anymore for the most part. If a crazy person wants to wander around the streets, as long as they are not bothering anyone, they are free to do so.

Good luck, it's a long road ahead of you if you want to stay involved.

• Options
    Thought I'd update this. I talked with his brother a few times, and I believe he got some help as he seems to have gotten past it all. He moved, has a new job he loves and is doing good at, and as far as I know hasnt had any issues and is doing well.

Was looking through my profile and saw this thread and thought I'd update everyone that helped. I'm really glad and took the hard road and contacted his family, and kept talking with him and being upfront with him about me being worried. Thanks again guys.