As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Watch Dogs] GTA4 impregnates Deus Ex, while NVidia PhysX watches like a voyeur. +DRM

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I assume that Tycho is probably taking issue with the White Saviour aspects of the image, where White Man is about to save the day for the woman and the defenceless man in the alley.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2014
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I assume that Tycho is probably taking issue with the White Saviour aspects of the image, where White Man is about to save the day for the woman and the defenceless man in the alley.

For all we know, he was going to fuck the guy up who is getting beat up, and just showed up late to the party.

Or you convinced the guys with bats that he was a bad man through deception and you orchestrated all of this.

ta1ygftbhj28.jpg

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    But not in Watch Dogs. WD has been heavily promoted for the past year with tons of promo pics and teaser videos. I remember a joke told here that Ubisoft is going to burn us out on WD before the game is even released. Why the focus on this one image?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Because why not?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Why am I reminded of this?
    931036-20090218.jpg

No zombies, but still.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I mean honestly, as someone who enjoys critical analysis of media.

I can understand if you're not interested in it but I don't like when people try to derail people who are.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Oakey wrote: »
    Hey, for all we know the white dude on the floor just robbed that woman and the black dudes were coming back from their baseball game and intervened.

The guy getting beaten is white. Isn't the guy in the beige coat with the bat white and balding?

EDIT: I think the woman is just watching. She's fleeing from the beating and glancing back but if she were robbed, she'd want her purse back, right?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    PC requirements
    Minimum requirements:

Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Only 64 bit OSs supported.)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770 with DirectX 11 graphics and 1GB of video RAM
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz CPU
    6GB Memory
    25GB of HDD/SSD space

Recommended requirements:

Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850 with DirectX 11 graphics and 2GB of video RAM
    Eight core – Intel Core i7-3770 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 4 GHz CPU
    8GB Memory or more
    25GB of HDD/SSD space

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Oakey wrote: »
    Hey, for all we know the white dude on the floor just robbed that woman and the black dudes were coming back from their baseball game and intervened.

The guy getting beaten is white. Isn't the guy in the beige coat with the bat white and balding?

EDIT: I think the woman is just watching. She's fleeing from the beating and glancing back but if she were robbed, she'd want her purse back, right?

you could read the pic as depicting a honey trap. girl lures guy into dark ally where a group of thugs are waiting to jump and rob him. she's not so much running away as running out of the way.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I think we should all just agree it's a bunch of people about to get in a fight in an alley rather than trying to drum up some drama about this thing.

It's not like it's a severed bikini-clad torso.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    PC requirements
    Minimum requirements:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770 with DirectX 11 graphics and 1GB of video RAM
    6GB Memory
    25GB of HDD/SSD space

Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850 with DirectX 11 graphics and 2GB of video RAM
    8GB Memory or more
    25GB of HDD/SSD space

8 cores? Ubisoft have no idea what they're doing.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

Interestingly, only one person in that shot is about to become a murderer. And it ain't the black people.

Also, this shot follows countless white-on-white violence screenshots and videos from this game.

However I am shocked, SHOCKED, that the game suggests that certain small gangs might be comprised of people from the same ethnic background.

This game had better include the ability to shoot groups of white people or I'm not buying it.

Luckily there are fucking thousands of white people to shoot!

Outrage ---> elsewhere, perhaps.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think we should all just agree it's a bunch of people about to get in a fight in an alley rather than trying to drum up some drama about this thing.

It's not like it's a severed bikini-clad torso.

Meh, honestly I would rather have this kind of conversation than brush it off.

This is the issue that I have with games taking up these settings and doing nothing with them. If you aren't going to offer any kind of simulating commentary on a current setting why bother? Just stick to knights and dragons.

Kind of the same feelings I had on Infamous 2. It was said in NotLouisiana during NotHurricance Katrina and I thought there would be some deeper introspection about the things that'd gone on during it.

In the end, nope...same old boring shit.

And you know I know there are plenty who are okay with games as long as they play good but I'm very interesting in narrative advancement. And I feel when game developers use these settings and give them the "ice level, fire level" treatment, its lazy at best and exploitative at worst.
    Spaffy wrote: »

Interestingly, only one person in that shot is about to become a murderer. And it ain't the black people.

Also, this shot follows countless white-on-white violence screenshots and videos from this game.

However I am shocked, SHOCKED, that the game suggests that certain small gangs might be comprised of people from the same ethnic background.

This game had better include the ability to shoot groups of white people or I'm not buying it.

Luckily there are fucking thousands of white people to shoot!

Outrage ---> elsewhere, perhaps.

You know people constantly say stuff like this but I feel like its purposely missing the point.

And it really gets tiring because no matter how many times and ways you try to explain how its missing the point people just fall back on this kind of rhetoric.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Just wanted to clarify that my previous post doesn't mean that I'm oblivious to symptomatic racism in media. However I didn't appreciate the tone of the poster of the screenshot, which implied that not having a big problem with it means that I, or others, have an incorrect viewpoint. I've seen most all of the promotional material for this game, and taken as part of a greater whole, I don't see this depiction as problematic as it doesn't portray this ethnic group as better or worse than any other.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Just wanted to clarify that my previous post doesn't mean that I'm oblivious to symptomatic racism in media. However I didn't appreciate the tone of the poster of the screenshot, which implied that not having a big problem with it means that I, or others, have an incorrect viewpoint. I've seen most all of the promotional material for this game, and taken as part of a greater whole, I don't see this depiction as problematic as it doesn't portray this ethnic group as better or worse than any other.
    I didn't mean to imply that the issue with the picture was that it portrayed one ethnic group as better or worse than another because it showed one ethnic group engaging in morally problematic acts. Again I'm starting to think this whole thing was a mistake - I posted the screenshot because I saw a few people retweet it and say "jeez Ubisoft" and I figured others would be interested in the gaffe. That people would disagree with me and with others about whether the picture is problematic did not cross my mind, but now that I realize that this is a controversial view point on these forums, I'd rather not drag this thread down with an extended discussion of why I and others think the image is problematic. Down that route lies very little Watch_Dogs content.

• Options
    Well, fine.

Though I honestly do think it is a nice conversation to have.

And I would enjoy more talks of this nature in the gaming world in the future. I can only hope the stories get better to the point where the talks are actually a part of the games themselves.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    In the end, nope...same old boring shit.

And you know I know there are plenty who are okay with games as long as they play good but I'm very interesting in narrative advancement. And I feel when game developers use these settings and give them the "ice level, fire level" treatment, its lazy at best and exploitative at worst.

One thing missing from that promo screen is the text the hacker sees when he focuses on random NPCs in the open world. Stare at a character walking by and text would pop up giving a little background on their private lives like 'Late on last mortgage payment' or 'Outstanding warrant in Nevada'.

That's a minor thing other sandbox games don't bother with but I like it; gives faceless NPCs a little more oomph.

• Options
    I didn't mean to imply that the issue with the picture was that it portrayed one ethnic group as better or worse than another because it showed one ethnic group engaging in morally problematic acts. Again I'm starting to think this whole thing was a mistake - I posted the screenshot because I saw a few people retweet it and say "jeez Ubisoft" and I figured others would be interested in the gaffe. That people would disagree with me and with others about whether the picture is problematic did not cross my mind, but now that I realize that this is a controversial view point on these forums, I'd rather not drag this thread down with an extended discussion of why I and others think the image is problematic. Down that route lies very little Watch_Dogs content.

I think there's a long discussion to be had about why our gaming heroes have to always be Caucasian (and I do think that's problematic); I just thought the shot you posted was a little out of context given the point you were trying to make, as we've seen many like it for this game with many ethnicities represented - in all roles, except for the hero.

I dunno, I just didn't think that shot was some terrible thing. A small part of a greater symptomatic problem maybe, but it didn't outrage me by itself.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    PC requirements
    Minimum requirements:

6GB Memory
    25GB of HDD/SSD space

8GB Memory or more
    25GB of HDD/SSD space

I want to say these are the same specs we saw way back

And they're no less crazypants now

Probably going to lean toward grabbing this on PS4 anyway though

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    PC requirements
    Minimum requirements:

6GB Memory
    25GB of HDD/SSD space

8GB Memory or more
    25GB of HDD/SSD space

I want to say these are the same specs we saw way back

And they're no less crazypants now

Probably going to lean toward grabbing this on PS4 anyway though

If I remember right, these are even worse.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Actually you might be right, I am pretty sure the processor requirements were the same before, because I didn't meet the recommended processor then and I don't know.

But I think before the recommended GPU was a 460 or higher.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The specs are mostly the same as the ones that were leaked, except the RAM requirements were bumped by two gigs for both minimum and recommended.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Those are crazypants specs? Huh.

The only thing my PC doesn't exceed is the 3.5 GHz thing because I'm at 3.4 GHz.

Though that's assuming Ubisoft doesn't fuck up the PC port again like it does with the AC games.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Minimum reqs aren't terribly nuts. A quad core is relatively heavy, but those are old chips they're asking for, as well as first-gen DX11 cards. Asking for an Ivy Bridge i7 for recommended is where it starts getting into crazypants territory -- not even talking about the incorrect nonsense that an i7 3770 is an 8-core chip that runs at 3.5 GHz.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Blah

Peccavi on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I could see those specs if it actually looks like that first vid, but if it's like these recent ones which are only about on par with GTA5? eeeh

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    That's a sweet coat.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    That looks better than the other stuff I've seen. Since we've still no word of GTA5PC, I'll be optimistic.

Looks like legit in-game stuff, considering the bad aliasing on the curb (between protagonist and white car around 0:40) and the red bench (lower right) has some pop-in around 1:30.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Yeah, honestly I don't think the game looks that bad.

I'm not not "OMG awesome!"

But I don't know...I guess I'm just used to open world games looking bad.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

You played Sleeping Dogs?

Sleeping Dogs looks proper nice.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    That looks better than the other stuff I've seen. Since we've still no word of GTA5PC, I'll be optimistic.

Looks like legit in-game stuff, considering the bad aliasing on the curb (between protagonist and white car around 0:40) and the red bench (lower right) has some pop-in around 1:30.

Definitely looks like some of the best stuff we've seen since the original "target" trailer, the PC version will no doubt be the prettiest. Still going to wait until after release to pick this up though to see how performance, and more importantly gameplay shakes out. And to see how horrible their Uplay implementation is :P

And yeah, if GTAV was coming out on PC before E3, I feel we would have heard about it before now. Which means it'll probably get announced around E3 and release at the end of summer at the earliest. If it is even still coming at all.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Yeah, it did. But nice for an open world game. Which is still eh.

• Options

Did you play on PC or console?

Because the PC version with all settings maxed I wouldn't even say "nice for an open world game."

I'd just say proper nice.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    That does look a lot better, but I think it's mostly because of the type of scenes shot. Rain and sunset/night scenes, unlike the daytime shots of the 'downgrade' trailer, which actually have shadows, which seems like the main problem with their IQ compared to, like, infamous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Did you play on PC or console?

Because the PC version with all settings maxed I wouldn't even say "nice for an open world game."

I'd just say proper nice.

Console, so yeah that was probably it.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Oh god. Why did you link that store @TychoCelchuuu‌!? I need a new jacket as my current jackets zipper is broken. But that price is way higher than my usual limit. But it looks so good! I don't even care about the game anymore.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    OK that's awesome.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So... what if you don't want to have others hack you while you're doing some singleplayer stuff?