As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Watch Dogs] GTA4 impregnates Deus Ex, while NVidia PhysX watches like a voyeur. +DRM

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    For the record, I'm both wet and hard.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Are PC players allowed to bitch about always-online single-player DRM anymore now that Diablo III exists, did the same exact thing, and sold a fuckton while catching barely any of the flack that Ubisoft did for it?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Are PC players allowed to bitch about always-online single-player DRM anymore now that Diablo III exists, did the same exact thing, and sold a fuckton while catching barely any of the flack that Ubisoft did for it?
    WHY CAN'T WE NOT TALK ABOUT DRM

Let's talk about William Gibson! If this game plays like shitty Spook Country fanfiction I'm still going to jizz in my pants.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    One thing I want to talk about - and it isn't the most important thing - is the design of the main character. He's just a guy. Not a hipster, or a beefcake, or a grizzled veteran, or a suave 30-some. He's just a guy. And that's stupidly rare in games.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...seems to me that you might be able to customize your character.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Okay if people post Zero History spoilers I am gonna be super-mad because I've only read Pattern Recognition and Spook Country.

But seriously, check this business out.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i don't know, he sort of looks like a homeless person with that coat and scarf and that awful ballcap

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Dishonored is indeed not open world, it's a series of levels.

Oh, bugger. I was under the impression it was gonna be Prey 2-like. Except steampunk and whaling songs instead of cyberpunk and Johnny Cash. Bugger.

Oh well, Watch Dogs will fill the now gaping hole in my heart. Did you see all those options? Everything has options! OPTIONS!

I don't know why I find that so appealing, but the volume of stuff was exquisite in that trailer. I hope this is properly open-world, not Assassin's Creed-open-areas. I mean, I love AC, but I'd love a full open-world more.
    Henroid wrote: »
    One thing I want to talk about - and it isn't the most important thing - is the design of the main character. He's just a guy. Not a hipster, or a beefcake, or a grizzled veteran, or a suave 30-some. He's just a guy. And that's stupidly rare in games.

I noticed that too. It was a real nice touch. His voice wasn't even some easily recognizable "style". He looks very... detectivey, but in a nice, low-key, sleuth-way. He actually reminds me of Deckard from Blade Runner.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Probability of me buying this game is 95%.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...seems to me that you might be able to customize your character.

Based on what?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

What? When threads on pretty much every forum have to say "Diablo 3: Don't talk about the fucking DRM" I'd say they're probably getting flack for it. The DRM dominated discussion about Diablo 3 for months before release and pretty heavily during release.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Let's talk about William Gibson! If this game plays like shitty Spook Country fanfiction I'm still going to jizz in my pants.
    Okay if people post Zero History spoilers I am gonna be super-mad because I've only read Pattern Recognition and Spook Country.

Okay. Aparently I'm missing something. Who is William Gibson, how is this realated to this game, and why should it make this even more awesome than it already is?

EDIT: Oh, the Neuromancer guy... okay, even more excited now... but how is he involved with this? (missed Ubisoft demo)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Okay. Aparently I'm missing something. Who is William Gibson, what are his books are about, and why should it make this even more awesome than it already is?

he is the father of cyberpunk and he wrote Neuromancer, which is dated and poorly establishes character but has lovely prose and worldbuilding, so you should read it

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    This looks really cool. Happy to see more cyberpunk stuff coming.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Foefaller wrote: »

Okay. Aparently I'm missing something. Who is William Gibson, what are his books are about, and why should it make this even more awesome than it already is?

he is the father of cyberpunk and he wrote Neuromancer, which is dated and poorly establishes character but has lovely prose and worldbuilding, so you should read it
    OKAY

WILLIAM GIBSON PRIMER

William Gibson invented cyberpunk and co-invented steampunk. This was in Neuromancer and in The Difference Engine. He also wrote some amazing short stories and some more cyberpunk. But we're not talking about that.

We're talking about his latest trilogy, the Blue Ant trilogy (or whatever you want to call it). These three books (Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History) are good in ways that words cannot describe. They are basically this game except less over the top explosions and more... fuck, I don't know what they have more of. Just read them, I guess.

Pattern Recognition is my least favorite Gibson book of all time but it is still great. Spook Country is just great. Zero History might be even better than Spook Country.

Some people say that they are cyberpunk or that this game is cyberpunk or both or whatever. I disagree but let's not argue about what genre things are. Let's just say that this game looks like it's aiming for Blue Ant trilogy-esque stuff and that makes me pumped.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Holy crap, this is the next best thing to a Shadowrun game. I am stoked.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    We're talking about his latest trilogy, the Blue Ant trilogy (or whatever you want to call it). These three books (Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History) are good in ways that words cannot describe. They are basically this game except less over the top explosions and more William Gibson. Just read them, I guess.

ftfy?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I hate UbiSoft DRM as much as anyone else but

1) I dunno if we need to shit up every UbiSoft game thread with it and

2) Other games do it too (COUGH BLIZZARD COUGH) so it's not like it's a UbiSoft thing so much as it's a shitty publisher decision thing.

I also wish to note that in the time between watching the first three minutes of this video and watching the other 6 minutes I mentally bought the game 8 times. My I AM SO PUMPED list now looks like this:

1. Dishonored
    2. Zeno Clash II
    3. Watch Dogs (aka ZERO HISTORY THE FUCKING GAME)
    4. Assassin's Creed III
    5. Repeat 1-4 9 times because I'm so excited for them.
    6. X-COM
    7. Probably other stuff
    8. Dishonored again

I was gonna leave it my original post that was decidedly non-ranty and more just me bracing myself for the inevitable until someone said something dumb. It's pretty much a given that Ubisoft is going to do something to make PC gamers mad so it's not like there's anything to discuss. Unless of course Ubisoft does nothing to make PC gamers mad in which case I'll crap myself in amazement.
    Corpekata wrote: »

What? When threads on pretty much every forum have to say "Diablo 3: Don't talk about the fucking DRM" I'd say they're probably getting flack for it. The DRM dominated discussion about Diablo 3 for months before release and pretty heavily during release.

And yeah, that. Every site ever has lambasted Blizzard for what they did but now we're just getting off topic.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I think it all looks great, but I'll definitely need to see more before I buy that these were all user-generated events as opposed to user-generated stuff in combination with events specially scripted for this video. The big pileup caused when the player hacked the streetlights looked a little fishy to me.

Plenty of time to find out, more though. Mostly, I'm just happy to see crowds being used as something significant in something besides the AssCreed games; I wish every developer would start adding proper crowds in places that should have them.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    So was I. SO LET'S PLEDGE TO STOP THE CYCLE.

Saying that the Blue Ant trilogy is more "William Gibson" is a good way of capturing my "fuck, I don't know." I mean, what is William Gibson other than a machine for producing truths you never knew you understood in the form of beauty that would never have otherwise struck you as beautiful?

Also I think I have a crush on William Gibson. A wordcrush.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    So was I. SO LET'S PLEDGE TO STOP THE CYCLE.

Saying that the Blue Ant trilogy is more "William Gibson" is a good way of capturing my "fuck, I don't know." I mean, what is William Gibson other than a machine for producing truths you never knew you understood in the form of beauty that would never have otherwise struck you as beautiful?

Also I think I have a crush on William Gibson. A wordcrush.

It's ok, after I read The Difference Engine I immediately tried to have the book's babies, but that didn't go so well. I have papercuts in weird places now. >.>

And yeah, drm discussion is dumb because there's nothing to discuss. If anything, I'm half tempted to start a lulzy betting pool with odds on what Ubisoft is going to do this time. :lol:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think it all looks great, but I'll definitely need to see more before I buy that these were all user-generated events as opposed to user-generated stuff in combination with events specially scripted for this video. The big pileup caused when the player hacked the streetlights looked a little fishy to me.

Plenty of time to find out, more though. Mostly, I'm just happy to see crowds being used as something significant in something besides the AssCreed games; I wish every developer would start adding proper crowds in places that should have them.

...Is it wrong that while I don't mind user-generated events I'm actually hoping it has a pretty awesome SP campaign?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Goddamn, Ubisoft, you already had my money for Assassin's Creed III before showing those amazing gameplay trailers off, and now you're making me salivate over a new property as well? I take back some of those disparaging remarks I've made about French-Canadians in the past.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

...Is it wrong that while I don't mind user-generated events I'm actually hoping it has a pretty awesome SP campaign?

Well, the thing I want is that the SP campaign is awesome, but it's awesome because of all the great, varying ways the user alters the environment.

For instance, using the traffic lights to stop that car was great, but what about just turning all the lights red so everybody has to stop? Getting the cops to stop him by hacking their comms? Standing in the road and shooting the driver in the face? Ramming the car with a stolen vehicle? And so on and so forth.

The whole traffic thing will be enormously less interesting and impressive if it turns out to just be a scripted event as opposed to something dynamic.

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular

I did not and will not buy Diablo 3. I'll be bitching to my hearts content, thankye sai!

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular

Well, the thing I want is that the SP campaign is awesome, but it's awesome because of all the great, varying ways the user alters the environment.

For instance, using the traffic lights to stop that car was great, but what about just turning all the lights red so everybody has to stop? Getting the cops to stop him by hacking their comms? Standing in the road and shooting the driver in the face? Ramming the car with a stolen vehicle? And so on and so forth.

The whole traffic thing will be enormously less interesting and impressive if it turns out to just be a scripted event as opposed to something dynamic.

It smelled scripted. A lot of those cars seemed to come out of nowhere on a seemingly deserted street.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Dram wrote: »

It smelled scripted. A lot of those cars seemed to come out of nowhere on a seemingly deserted street.

If you watch it closely it's pretty damn clear that those cars spawn as soon as he used the traffic light thingy. Willing to forgive that in a promotional demo, but god I hope that doesn't happen in the actual game.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Of course it was fucking scripted

It was a fucking E3 stage demo for fuck's sake

Everything we saw was scripted to hell and back but that doesn't matter because every fucking stage demo ever given at every E3 is scripted you stupid geese

And the interface implies that you have the traffic lights ability and that you can use it on any specific set of traffic lights you want, just like the minimap implies that it is an open world with all it's many and various icons and layout and whatnot

And then the implication at the end of the stage demo was that there is some kind of cooperative multiplayer that affects others' single player games

The stage demo is about implication and demonstration of what is possible within the game, they can't just go "HEY GUYS LET'S JUST POP INTO THE GAME AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS, OH WAIT WE DIDN'T GET TO SHOW YOU ALL THE COOL STUFF IT CAN DO OH WELL OUR FIVE MINUTES ARE UP WHOOOOOOPS"

And as much as I don't care for Ubisoft's PC DRM policy, after what I have seen, I could not give less of a shit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    Watch Dogs is everything I want in gaming. A couple of minutes in and my hand had leaped straight to my wallet with the feverish determination to possess it at any cost; including next gen hardware if necessary.

Also, I want to personally hug every single Gibson fan in this thread.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Dude needs to take off his hat, get a trench coat, sunglasses, or a suave business suit. The hat and the ragged coat doesn't do it for me, especially not to get into a club like that.

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »

If you watch it closely it's pretty damn clear that those cars spawn as soon as he used the traffic light thingy. Willing to forgive that in a promotional demo, but god I hope that doesn't happen in the actual game.

Why would it bother you in the actual game? Video games are all smoke and mirrors, we know this. Even if you know how shit works mechanically, it's a matter of if they mask it well or not. It didn't seem abrupt at all.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ok yeah that looked pretty awesome. I do like assassination games though.

However, comparing Ubisoft DRM to Blizzard's DRM for Diablo 3 seems to indicate a misunderstanding of how the different DRM mechanisms work. Ubisoft's is worse, hands down. A lot worse.

GUYS HE SLID ACROSS A CAR AND SHOT A GUY IN THE FACE WHILE SLIDING

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Dude needs to take off his hat, get a trench coat, sunglasses, or a suave business suit. The hat and the ragged coat doesn't do it for me, especially not to get into a club like that.

Maybe some cybernetic augments too.

Y'know... because. >.>

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Y'know... because. >.>

I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Y'know... because. >.>

I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS

I didn't get to say my last clothing item.
    A fedora.

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    Whether or not the traffic collision is scripted or not doesn't bother me. I imagine it might be hard to sync up natural traffic to cause a crash like that, combining skill and chance. What I do want to know is what would happen if you didn't mess with the traffic lights. What if he just arrives, what other options you have, etc. That's the only kind of "scripting" I care about.

Also, I really dug the writing/acting/conception. Things looked interesting! Not some run of the mill art gallery or generic fashion or anything. There looks to be a lot of thought and creative people working on this thing and that alone has me excited.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Why would it bother you in the actual game? Video games are all smoke and mirrors, we know this. Even if you know how shit works mechanically, it's a matter of if they mask it well or not. It didn't seem abrupt at all.

It's an E3 demo, of course it's got heavily-scripted stuff. But presenting an open-world like that implies that the actual game won't be so confined with solutions.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Y'know... because. >.>

I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS

I didn't get to say my last clothing item.
    A fedora.

And of course a whip too.

It's a detective's whip.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I checked out the trailer multiple times yesterday night, the cars are ALL THERE before he presses the button.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well it's an open world, but he was in a specific mission then, so maybe it is a mix and they script things for missions.

I guess maybe they could expect you to time it properly based on the target's location, but that seems likely to end up a little too random and you might lose some of the "cinematic" feel. Then again, maybe their AI and such can handle it.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)