As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] A Farewell to Friend Codes

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    The Zombie U game looks fine (I really like a lot of the features being implemented with the controller), but I'm tired of zombie-themed stuff at the moment.

Lego City Undercover looks great.

"Tell me who you're working for!"

"I-I can't tell ya'! He'll take me apart!"

Heh.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So something literally just hit me:

We don't know the exact specs on the tablet screen, but it looks to be fairly impressive. I am not expecting iPad level, but definitely high quality.

We do know that the screen is terminal based - the image is rendered on the console and transmitted to the controller, and displayed with as little lag as possible. This is evidenced by the reports of the framrate/quality dropping with 2 Gamepads.

So what happens when you turn the tablet OFF, and dedicate that processing power to the console itself? IE turn the Wii U into a 360/PS3?

Yeah, I imagine a lot of developers interested in showcasing a graphically impressive game will do this. Just displaying quasi-static 2D stuff on the screen such as maps and whatnot might be enough for that purpose.

Some Trine 2: Wii U stuff:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/05/trine-2-directors-cut-is-the-best-version-frozenbyte-can-mak/

Looks pretty nice, and has apparently extra levels and more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Trine 2 is the best looking game on Wii U right now.

Unfortunately, it's still Trine 2.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Not sure if this was posted yet:
    "In an interview with ABC News, Scott Moffitt, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Nintendo, said that in addition to Wii discs being backwards-compatible on the new Wii U, digital game collections purchased over the Wii Virtual Console will also be transferable over to the Wii U, likely remaining at standard definition."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/06/nintendos-wii-u-gamepad-to-play-old-wii-games-company-says-at-e3/

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Hey, Konami! Konami? You listening? Check this shit out:

Silent_Scope_Poster.png

+

a6f072c2efe85d8ec4fd23269200ea93.jpg

Make it happen.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

We don't know the exact specs on the tablet screen, but it looks to be fairly impressive. I am not expecting iPad level, but definitely high quality.

We do know that the screen is terminal based - the image is rendered on the console and transmitted to the controller, and displayed with as little lag as possible. This is evidenced by the reports of the framrate/quality dropping with 2 Gamepads.

More importantly, hopefully the above means the Wii U Gamepads are relatively inexpensive to produce.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

So what happens when you turn the tablet OFF, and dedicate that processing power to the console itself? IE turn the Wii U into a 360/PS3?

Then magic happens, Athenor. Magic happens.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure/hopeful the Wii U is already as powerful as the 360/PS3 even with the tablet going.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    A reliable Wii U informant on GAF who has spent time with the development kit and seems to know his stuff pegs the Wii U at about 3 times the power of the 360 and said it was comfortably in the middle ground between this gen and next gen, making the easiest comparison would be the Dreamcast. He fears that many early developers will try to push too much onto the tablet making the base game look worse than it could otherwise.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's not really enough to just be as powerful as the 360/PS3. Otherwise they'll be right back at square one in terms of being seen as "a generation behind" in the eyes of anyone that isn't very casual. The reason they lost a lot of third party support was due to the inability to bring ports to the Wii.

They don't have to be the top of the generation heap, but the Wii U has to be powerful enough so it can get the same games as whatever Microsoft and Sony are working on for 2013.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Gentlemanly Raptor.

Day 1. That there sold me a Wii U even harder.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Yah wasn't trying to comment on if being as powerful as 360/PS3 is a high bar but rather just pointing out that it probably at least meets that standard.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Yah wasn't trying to comment on if being as powerful as 360/PS3 is a high bar but rather just pointing out that it probably at least meets that standard.

Yeah. It's obviously up to spec as the 360/PS3. Probably better.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Skeptical as I am about the Wii U's third party output, I'm still having trouble imagining how the PS4/Xbox3 will be THAT much more powerful than the WiiU, given how expensive it is to develop graphical top tier games as it is. People just aren't going to shell out more than they already are for a game.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Gentlemanly Raptor.

? Is this a game you are speaking of?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Gentlemanly Raptor.

? Is this a game you are speaking of?

Scribblenauts. During the first part of Gamespot's Live Show, the reviewer asked for a ridable raptor on a T-rex. The guy wasn't ready to go that far with the editor, so instead he made a friendly T-rex, added an adjective on the fly to make it ridable, and then summoned a gentlemanly Raptor.

That's right. Scribblenauts lets you summon a raptor in a top hat and monocle. I can't wait to summon a classy crab.

http://e3.gamespot.com/live-show/live-show-day-1/

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Is ZombiU open-world, or more linear? Something in-between?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Is ZombiU open-world, or more linear? Something in-between?

Sounds like a non-linear roguelike. Kind of the only way a game like that can work, I'd imagine.

• Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    I'm not likely to buy any of the next gen consoles on launch day. I didn't have any kids when the current gen came out, so finances weren't as much of an issue. However, I'm always going to be a Nintendo guy since the NES was my first console. From what I've seen of the Wii U, I think I'd be happily satisfied with it being my oldest son's first console when he gets 2 years older or so.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'm likely going to get a Wii U at launch. It'll be nice having a console I can play without a TV, as I don't own one at the moment and am not sure if I'll make enough money to buy one in the next 6 months (I'm gonna be doing an installment plan on the Wii U).

• Options
    And the confusion begins.
    "Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U controller breathe new life into its aging Wii console?"

"Players can watch the overall action on their TVs or get an up-close view through the Wii U screen. I can't envision players using the big screen for games when the small one is in their hands."

"Nintendo plans to release a wide range of games, from kid titles like "Pikmin 3" to offerings for hardcore gamers like "ZombiU" and "Mass Effect 3." The promise of additional gameplay features for the Wii U make it an intriguing option. Overall, the Wii U is a solid hybrid of a souped-up Wii controller and a handheld gaming device. It's larger than a traditional console controller, but not so heavy that it would cause fatigue problems."

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/05/tech/gaming-gadgets/wii-u-demo-e3/

They think it's an add on.

They also called Pikmin a kids game. Pikmin would be way too difficult for most kids.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    "Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U controller breathe new life into its aging Wii console?"

"Players can watch the overall action on their TVs or get an up-close view through the Wii U screen. I can't envision players using the big screen for games when the small one is in their hands."

"Nintendo plans to release a wide range of games, from kid titles like "Pikmin 3" to offerings for hardcore gamers like "ZombiU" and "Mass Effect 3." The promise of additional gameplay features for the Wii U make it an intriguing option. Overall, the Wii U is a solid hybrid of a souped-up Wii controller and a handheld gaming device. It's larger than a traditional console controller, but not so heavy that it would cause fatigue problems."

They also called Pikmin a kids game. Pikmin would be way too difficult for most kids.

Most people consider games that lack blood/gore/mature stuff to be for kids.
    It's a big shame.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I thought this was familiar. Then I realized it was posted on the last page. :)
    skeldare wrote:
    twefc.png
    (CNN) -- Will Nintendo's forthcoming Wii U controller breathe new life into its aging Wii console?

Hard to say at this point, but the Wii U is a solid accessory that will bring a fresh element to Nintendo gaming.

I got my hands on the redesigned device -- which was first previewed a year ago -- after Nintendo's Electronic Entertainment Expo event in Los Angeles on Tuesday.

Oh god. What geese. Ok, yeah, they probably should've shown off more than the gamepad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It makes me wonder how Nintendo will fight the mantra of this being an add-on to the Wii.

The new system pretty much has a rocky road ahead of them when it comes to the expanded audience. Gamers and Nintendo fans will buy the system, cause that's what we do, but the rest....not sure how that will turn out.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    It's why "Super Wii" would have been a much better name. Apart from the obvious reason that WiiU sounds like something a dumbass would come up with.

(Still buying it. Maybe launch day.)

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    It was the same deal with last years E3. The thing seem like an accessory for the Wii due to lack of ever showing off the console and the new name.

Same thing for the 3DS since I know a lot of people thought it was just a new version of the DS like the DSi rather than a whole new thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    It makes me wonder how Nintendo will fight the mantra of this being an add-on to the Wii.

The new system pretty much has a rocky road ahead of them when it comes to the expanded audience. Gamers and Nintendo fans will buy the system, cause that's what we do, but the rest....not sure how that will turn out.

I'm guessing the price might give people a clue :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pikmin is a kids' game. Just like Pixar makes movies for kids.

Adults can enjoy them too, but let's not uh, kid ourselves about the intended audience.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Pikmin is way too erotic for kids.
    I mean they've got exposed sex organs flapping around on the top of their heads.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    Pikmin is so not just a kids game. That shit is fucking rough.

Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Pikmin is a kids' game. Just like Pixar makes movies for kids.

Adults can enjoy them too, but let's not uh, kid ourselves about the intended audience.

I'd love to see a kid try to play through a Pikmin game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Maybe they will add a beginner mode where the gamepad user can draw smiley faces on the screen while the other people actually play :) Then it can be a kids game :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Bit.Trip Runner Sequel Announced For Wii U
    The original Bit.Trip Runner was released in 2010 for Wii. Bit.Trip Runner, developed by Gaijin Games, was a well-received WiiWare title. The sequel to the game, Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, was announced earlier this year for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The developer had a development kit for Nintendo’s new console for quite some time and confirmed, today, that a Wii U version of the game will also be released.

“After announcing Runner2 for XBLA & PSN, we got so much incredible hate mail from our Nintendo fan base that we had to release this game for Wii U under fear of death!”

-Alex N, Gaijin Games

A sequel to the award-winning and incredibly popular Bit.Trip Runner originally released on Nintendo’s WiiWare Service, Runner2 boasts:

Retro Challenges playable on the Wii U Game Pad
    Special chiptune guest star Disasterpeace
    Almost 10 Playable Characters, including CommandgirlVideo, Unkle Dill, and Whetfahrt Cheesebörger
    Fancy-Pants HD Graphics
    10+ New Gameplay Abilities
    Achievements/trophies/leaderboards/whatever Nintendo’s new thingie is
    Unlockable costumes
    Difficulty modes and checkpoints
    …and LOTS more to be revealed later!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait, it isn't an add-on to the Wii?

Seriously, why does Nintendo suck at marketing so much?

• Options

Serious?

They're light years ahead of Sony.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm seriously considering getting a WiiU.

As someone who owns a gaming PC, PS4/next-Box are kind of pointless, but I have always loved Nintendo. You can't get that stuff on PC.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options

How would you improve the Wii U marketing?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I know people around here were confused last E3 so hopefully I don't offend anyone but back then I seriously questioned people intelligence in not recognising it was a new console. This E3? I ain't cutting people any breaks. Any news outlet, analyst, or journalist who hasn't figure it out shouldn't be covering this stuff.

• Options
    Dritz wrote: »
    I know people around here were confused last E3 so hopefully I don't offend anyone but back then I seriously questioned people intelligence in not recognising it was a new console. This E3? I ain't cutting people any breaks. Any news outlet, analyst, or journalist who hasn't figure it out shouldn't be covering this stuff.

:^:

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.