As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] A Farewell to Friend Codes

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Aren't they supposed to have people that are supposed to be on top of electronics and technology news?

It's like having your election coverage guy think Romney is McCain's VP pick.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Aw shit, I just realized that the ABXY face buttons on the pro controller are reversed from the 360 (which shouldn't be surprising since that layout is Nintendo standard). Muscle memory going from one to the other is gonna be a bitch.

(I have a cousin who continually have problems operating the 360, considering her last console prior was a SNES. Telling her how to play a game often goes, "Reload, press B! Press B! No, no, the other B! The red button!" This shit would probably be right up her alley.)

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I hope you'll be able to connect those to PC through bluetooth like you can the Wii remotes. It'll DEFINITELY be my go-to controller if I can use it on my computer.

Edit: And, if there are any Nintendo people reading this, the more I use this controller, the more likely it'll be that I buy multiplat games for the Wii U instead of the 360. So let me use it on my computer please.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Just found this on twitter

twittersnip.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Haha, suuuuuree.... blame the editor!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm glad "lactating duck" is the polite ambassador broaching the issue.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    How could he not write it that way? The whole article talks about the device as a peripheral...there isn't really any room for it to be an editing error. :?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    How could he not write it that way? The whole article talks about the device as a peripheral...there isn't really any room for it to be an editing error. :?

He's not going to take blame and admit he was wrong. That's not the CNN way.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Avengers gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBM16OxfD-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uJBDSAe0zU

Note: This looks to be Kinect gameplay but it'll look the same on Wii U.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    It's a fighting game? The trailer made it look like a platformer or something... wtf

Edit: Seriously there are like 6 Avengers, that is going to get old as shit without any kind of real roster :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Jesus Christ that's about the most uninspired thing I've ever seen.

Edit: Lol, it's like Pokemon Stadium...THEY NEVER TOUCH EACH OTHER

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Aw shit, I just realized that the ABXY face buttons on the pro controller are reversed from the 360 (which shouldn't be surprising since that layout is Nintendo standard). Muscle memory going from one to the other is gonna be a bitch.

(I have a cousin who continually have problems operating the 360, considering her last console prior was a SNES. Telling her how to play a game often goes, "Reload, press B! Press B! No, no, the other B! The red button!" This shit would probably be right up her alley.)

Surprisingly, I don't have much trouble with this. I seem to go into a completely different mindset depending on what controller I'm using, so if it's a Nintendo thing I automatically know X is on top and B is on bottom, while when I'm playing Dreamcast or Xbox I automatically know Y is on top and A is on bottom. Though, if the new Pro controller feels like a 360 controller as much as it looks like one, it might throw me off.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    When I play games I don't think about the button letter once I get past the initial stages. It's just "top button" does "this" and "left button" does "that", etc.

I guess the exception might be games which have button combos. Oh well, I trust my brain to handle two button layouts eventually.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Have they said anything about the TV remote mode of the gamepad? I'm really interested in it. I have a remote receiver for my computer, so a screen-based, customizable remote interface would be GREAT for that, but the receiver I have is a generic thing and there are no matching remote codes for it, so it would have to be able to learn commands from my existing remote.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Looks like CNN corrected the article. Not saying Frum's definitely telling the truth, but I have seen some really infuriating editorial changes in my time. Wouldn't put it past the editing staff to twist the article a bit to fit the headline they decided upon.

ETA: And no noting their screwup included in the article. Bad form CNN. Good thing you never attempt to report on anything meaningful or you might be expected to hold to journalistic standards.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Pikmin 3 looks great, I know it probably won't happen but if there's online co-op I may poop.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I'm not sure I like the placement of the ABXY buttons. I think I'd like them level with the left stick, instead of below it. Let's face, you're probably gonna be using the left stick and the buttons most of the time, so it'd be nice if your hands are in roughly the same position.

• Options

I'm not sure I like the placement of the ABXY buttons. I think I'd like them level with the left stick, instead of below it. Let's face, you're probably gonna be using the left stick and the buttons most of the time, so it'd be nice if your hands are in roughly the same position.

Most shooters and action games use both analog sticks together and use the triggers and shoulders for your action buttons. That's probably the majority of the games that will support the Pro controller. Virtual Console and games with a more "classic" style of gameplay (sidescrollers, fighting games, etc) will often use the d-pad and the buttons together. So, personally, I think this layout makes a lot of sense as long as it's not too uncomfortable to reach the d-pad and buttons.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The original Bit.Trip Runner was released in 2010 for Wii. Bit.Trip Runner, developed by Gaijin Games, was a well-received WiiWare title. The sequel to the game, Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, was announced earlier this year for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The developer had a development kit for Nintendo’s new console for quite some time and confirmed, today, that a Wii U version of the game will also be released.

“After announcing Runner2 for XBLA & PSN, we got so much incredible hate mail from our Nintendo fan base that we had to release this game for Wii U under fear of death!”

-Alex N, Gaijin Games

A sequel to the award-winning and incredibly popular Bit.Trip Runner originally released on Nintendo’s WiiWare Service, Runner2 boasts:

Retro Challenges playable on the Wii U Game Pad
    Special chiptune guest star Disasterpeace
    Almost 10 Playable Characters, including CommandgirlVideo, Unkle Dill, and Whetfahrt Cheesebörger
    Fancy-Pants HD Graphics
    10+ New Gameplay Abilities
    Achievements/trophies/leaderboards/whatever Nintendo’s new thingie is
    Unlockable costumes
    Difficulty modes and checkpoints
    …and LOTS more to be revealed later!

Really hoping this is a thing

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So anyways, anyone have any thoughts on that Tank! Tank! Tank! game? It looks like it could be fun, but it also looks like it could be fun for only a short while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf5bRbiJdsE

• Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    So anyways, anyone have any thoughts on that Tank! Tank! Tank! game? It looks like it could be fun, but it also looks like it could be fun for only a short while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf5bRbiJdsE

Looks like it could be good fun while drinking.

Wish the Player faces weren't so big.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    More on how the Miiverse stuff will work.
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/171902/Miiverse_Much_more_than_a_social_network_says_Nintendo.php

In Nintendo Land, the collection of minigames the company unveiled today, it offers "an opportunity to make friends within the park," said Eguchi.

"It's really fun for me to be able to talk with other people who are playing the same game, and sharing information about tactics, or maybe difficult parts of the game."

Meanwhile, New Super Mario Bros. U uses it in two ways, according to Tezuka.

"If you keep falling into the same pit and dying, the game will ask you, 'How do you feel about this situation?'" said Tezuka. Users can post their comments (in speech bubbles that look a lot like Tweets.)

At the same time, "if you have a really excellent run" at the game, you might trigger an opportunity to post -- in other words, a socially charged Xbox-style achievement. These are specific conditions, such as clearing a section of the game quickly or grabbing several hard-to-reach coins in one shot.

"A lot of different conditions... will give you the opportunity to express your feelings about how you're playing, in Miiverse," said Tezuka. "This allows people who don't even know each other to share their experiences, because they're playing the same game."

Eguchi was particularly keen on the idea that players who are playing the same game can share with each other. "I know that on the internet there are plenty of message boards and whatnot... but I hate when people go to message boards and complain about games that they never played, and I'd like to have a system you can go to someone, and talk to someone about a game, and you know the person has played the game."

"As the producer of Animal Crossing, I often hear a lot of opinions from people who say, 'I have a hard time finding friends to share my Animal Crossing experience with online'," said Eguchi. By letting players make new friends, this will alow these players to enjoy "an experience like Animal Crossing to its fullest."

There's even "a system built into Miiverse to avoid spoilers," said Eguchi -- players can mark their own posts as spoilers or flag other users' posts for Nintendo to review. He also said the company will be "aggressively pursuing" a "pleasant environment" where people "don't feel scared or threatened" or "uncomfortable" due to other users' behavior.

"You want to be able to trust someone before you become friends with them," said Eguchi.
    They are going to have a lot of work preventing trolls.

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    ^In addition to the standard messaging stuff basically, I'm guessing.

The controller layout and button layout is interesting. I had this problem when playing with my 3DS last year. Even though I've played countless hours on the GameBoy and DS, I was getting mixed up on the layout because of using the 360 quite often. I think a combination of that, having the Wiimote be such a unique controller (so I was away from that original scheme for so long), and not having access to a CC Pro caused me to stumble over placement and pressing in games.

Yet with the Wii U GamePad, I actually think it works to an extent. If you take a look at a 360 controller, what 2 buttons are closest to the analog stick? X and A. And if you look at the Wii U controller, which 2 buttons are closest to the stick? X and A. So when we think about our primary button (like Pressing A to jump, X to reload), those buttons are still physically the ones we should be pressing with the least amount of effort.

If a developer somehow decides to keep the "jump" button in the same place as the other systems i.e. the "B" button), then I could see my muscle memory getting dicey. But at the end of the day, the control scheme is not THAT radically different nor hard to relearn/remaster. Though I don't like the Dual Shock 3 pad, I still CAN use it (especially after so many years). I figure I'll use this.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    That Avengers game looks like a reskin of the PowerUp Heroes Kinect game (I think it was called that).

Yeah, ok, this. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-powerup-heroes/17-5317/

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Question:

Has there been ANY word from Nintendo about whether or not there will be a network like Xbox Live or PSN?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    What particularly about those networks, because they're different from eachothers too.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Question:

Has there been ANY word from Nintendo about whether or not there will be a network like Xbox Live or PSN?

In which way exactly? They have the Miiverse and I can't imagine the friends list for that not being usable for online multiplayer after the 3DS has a system wide friends list.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    Question:

In which way exactly? They have the Miiverse and I can't imagine the friends list for that not being usable for online multiplayer after the 3DS has a system wide friends list.

Yeah, I imaging something at least similar with the 3DS. With the ability to purchase games via your phone or PC.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    They've already mentioned that it will be account based as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    For those of you that are turned off by the Nintendo controller, Mad Catz has your fix!

tumblr_m57ozfDPvj1qzp9weo1_1280.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Question:

aahh the Miiverse

I hadn't seen that

I hope it's as easy as Live

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    For those of you that are turned off by the Nintendo controller, Mad Catz has your fix!

I hope no one goes out an buy one of these out of a dislike of just the look of the Pro controller, but otherwise it's good to have alternatives.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I will get a Wii U for sure, although whether I get it launch day depends on my money situation.

NSMB U looks good. I would prefer a Galaxy-style game but I'm sure that will come in the future. Pikmin 3 is my most anticipated game. I've been waiting for years.

Project P-100 looks pretty great. Thoughts on that?

• Options

I don't know why but that looks extremely cheap.

Oh wait, it's Mad Catz.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Eh, someone will make a good quality controller with the offset analog sticks.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Do we know if the WiiU is going to have an ethernet port right out of the box, or if its going to be WiFi only and you'll have to buy a separate thing at a later date like the Wii?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It's wifi only, there was no ethernet port.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I don't know why but that looks extremely cheap.

Oh wait, it's Mad Catz.

2003 MNC Dover would agree with you, but over the last couple of years MC has really stepped up their game in terms of quality and customer service. That being said, I'm still planning on getting the official Nintendo controller instead. The layout isn't that big a deal to me. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dammit

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    It's wifi only, there was no ethernet port.

There are USB Ports where you can plug in an adaptor for ethernet. Just like the Wii.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.