As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] A Farewell to Friend Codes

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that. Totally bizarre. Don't know if the original was an older picture shown by mistake or the controllers on the floor were beta models. Either way, a very confusing mistake.
    The only thing that bothers me about the controller are the analog sticks. God damn slippery little convex nubs, make them concave like God intended.

Nintendo's always used ridges on the stick. Works well enough. Gets a little grimey at times, though.

I like the 360's concave sticks, except that the 4 small dots that mark the primary directions wear down WAY too easily.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I'm kind of glad the only Nintendo games that still appeal to me are the Metroid ones, and then only the ones Retro has made (man, fuck Other M) since I won't be able to get a Wii U anytime soon.

The last Zelda was just.. mediocre and that's being generous. I lost interest in 3D platformers way back in the N64 age.

That being said, I'm sure Nintendo will do fine. Some of their decisions are still kind of.. weird, but.. meh. They're rich, they'll be ok.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Skyward sword was in no way mediocre .

It wasn't perfect by any stretch but it was the best Zelda since Majora's mask as far as I'm concerned.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I think it's a safe bet to say that NintendoLand is a pack-in. Not only does it sell to nostalgia-conscience customers but it's a showcase for what the Wii U Gamepad is capable of, similar to how Wii Play was designed to show what the Wii Remote was capable of.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    just in case anyone is still worried about the right sick placement
    P7oGs.jpg

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    just in case anyone is still worried about the right sick placement
    P7oGs.jpg

Clever! Didn't think of that.

• Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    holy crap Pikmin 3 won't have online multiplayer

what year is it

sQwJu.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

what year is it

The year where everything doesn't require online to be enjoyable? O_o

Online is great for games that are enhanced with it, such as shooters, fighters, and racers.

Pikmin isn't one that would really require online. I would rather have a fully fleshed out single player story than extra man power devoted to a half hearted online effort.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Righteous JRighteous J Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

what year is it

Online is great for games that are enhanced with it, such as shooters, fighters, and racers.

Pikmin isn't one that would really require online. I would rather have a fully fleshed out single player story than extra man power devoted to a half hearted online effort.
    "So what we've decided to do is focus on the single-player and local multiplayer aspects, which are really fun. But unfortunately, no online multiplayer for Pikmin 3. But the co-op local multiplayer is really fun."
    If there is multiplayer there is literally no excuse for not having online-multi in this day and age aside from incompetence.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

what year is it

"So what we've decided to do is focus on the single-player and local multiplayer aspects, which are really fun. But unfortunately, no online multiplayer for Pikmin 3. But the co-op local multiplayer is really fun."
    If there is multiplayer there is literally no excuse for not having online-multi in this day and age aside from incompetence.

I'm not entirely sure that Nintendo, or any of the people involved in the development of Pikmin 3 can be described as "incompetent"...

And I say this as a person who it neutral towards all three "big" companies.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well, they don't have a history of delivering good online experiences.
    IGN: One of the things I think Pikmin 2 really drove home was the element of cooperative gameplay, and just multiplayer in general, allowing more than one player to play together. Can people expect the same from Pikmin 3? Perhaps even online Pikmin?

Miyamoto: Everyone asks that question! [laughter]

So in the case of Mario Kart, we did have online multiplayer, and that's something that... You have to be very careful that you don't drop frames as you're trying to sync up with other players over what could be a very great physical distance, over the internet. But in the situation of Pikmin, for example, since you would have lots of individual, small creatures, the Pikmin, whose every movement and location is going to be really important in the game, it would be very difficult to sync up over an internet connection.
    Didn't Starcraft do this in 1998 on dial-up?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Tap the Power button to throw a grenade!
    Hold the Power button to finish the fight!

• Options

what year is it

Took the words right out of my...er, keyboard.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

what year is it

Seriously? Just because local multiplayer exists doesn't mean you can just slap on some online features and call it a day.

• Options
    The other thing is that I don't imagine Pikmin working very well as a multiplayer experience unless the person you're playing with is next to you so you can coordinate properly.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

what year is it

Seriously? Just because local multiplayer exists doesn't mean you can just slap on some online features and call it a day.

This is true which is why I cut indie developers some slack when they don't include online multiplayer. However, Nintendo is a huge company with massive resources. It's ridiculous that a company as big as Nintendo refuses to do online multiplayer for most of their games.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

what year is it

Took the words right out of my...er, keyboard.

Exactly. Perhaps the year is the one where Nintendo doesnt care about online still instead they are still focusing on providing the most solid user experience for its console as it has forever.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I'm perfectly fine playing Pikmin single player or local multiplayer. I'd rather be able to communicate to a person right next to me if I'm playing Pikmin with them...but this is also coming from a guy who prefers local multiplayer as opposed to online most of the time.

Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
  • Options

what year is it

This is true which is why I cut indie developers some slack when they don't include online multiplayer. However, Nintendo is a huge company with massive resources. It's ridiculous that a company as big as Nintendo refuses to do online multiplayer for most of their games.

I don't know RD, I guess it just depends on the game. Pikmin is much better as a local experience.

Games that really need online, they generally added it with the Wii/DS/3DS. Mario Kart and Excitebots had flawless online, SSBB had it (although it was a terrible mess), Strikers Charged and Mario Sports Mix both have fantastic online, and Pokemon has it and it works well. I mean that's not to say they have some games that would work well with online that they didn't add, but it's not like they just leave online out of everything that 'could' use it.

The only game that I really missed online on last gen was NSMBWii as I would have loved to play some quick Mario sessions with friends from out of state.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

what year is it

What games have they released recently that didn't have online multiplayer that would benefit from it?

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

what year is it

I don't know RD, I guess it just depends on the game. Pikmin is much better as a local experience.

Which is fine for people who can easily set up local multiplayer sessions. But for others, online multiplayer is their only option if they want to play multiplayer.

Local multiplayer was great when I was a kid and when I was at college. It's not so great now that I'm an adult with a family and most of my gaming time is late at night or early in the morning. Even if my gaming friends lived near me (and they don't), it would be difficult to set up times to play multiplayer with them.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2012

what year is it

Games that really need online, they generally added it with the Wii/DS/3DS. Mario Kart and Excitebots had flawless online, SSBB had it (although it was a terrible mess), Strikers Charged and Mario Sports Mix both have fantastic online, and Pokemon has it and it works well. I mean that's not to say they have some games that would work well with online that they didn't add, but it's not like they just leave online out of everything that 'could' use it.

The only game that I really missed online on last gen was NSMBWii as I would have loved to play some quick Mario sessions with friends from out of state.

Every time I think of online Mario I see in my head that strip that PA did that had Gabe (I think) talking about how mario multipayer could be considered grounds for divorce. He was talking about how they could push each other into the lava and one person always eating the fire flower.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Jubal77 wrote: »

what year is it

Every time I think of online Mario I see in my head that strip that PA did that had Game (I think) talking about how mario multipayer could be considered grounds for divorce. He was talking about how they could push each other into the lava and one person always eating the fire flower.

Seeing how terrible Brawl was, I can't imagine New Super Mario Bros., a very twitch-based game, working well online. The slightest bit of lag and your timing for those tricky jumps will be thrown off completely.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I begged for a Wii, played it for maybe six months, and haven't turned it on in more than a year. Most of the games I did play were either party games, like wii sports, or games from consoles I didn't own-- RE4 and River City Ransom. I did play three third party games-- Mad World, No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2. And that was pretty much it. The lack of third party games was a huge disappointment.

And now Nintendo may launch the Wii weeks or months ahead of the third party titles that aren't shovelware or tie-ins? Really? I hope the guy on the first page is wrong.
    Roe wrote: »
    ninwrong.jpg

I thought they announced the Wii U for fall, and most of the late third party games in the holiday season.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    I'm not trying to debate local vs online, but I'd like to share this story. I was playing NSMBWii with one of my friends and we were in one of the castles. I ended up bouncing on his head and staying on to collect all the red coins above as he dashed passed a bunch of Thwomps. After all the red coins were collected, I jumped, which pushed him into the lava at the end and elevated me into the 1up. He looked at me and said he wasn't even mad because it was so amazing. I feel that experience wouldn't have meant as much if it were with someone online.

• Options

what year is it

Which is fine for people who can easily set up local multiplayer sessions. But for others, online multiplayer is their only option if they want to play multiplayer.

Local multiplayer was great when I was a kid and when I was at college. It's not so great now that I'm an adult with a family and most of my gaming time is late at night or early in the morning. Even if my gaming friends lived near me (and they don't), it would be difficult to set up times to play multiplayer with them.

I understand this for most people. I guess I'm just in a different bracket than some. I am married and have two kids, but we still have at least once or twice a month friends over to just be silly and do some local gaming. We pretty do everything from Mario Kart, SSBB, and NSMBWii. But yea, I still try to get some local gaming with with buddies as it's just more fun to me. I only do online with people I know, as I pretty much hate random matches, so online is about the last thing I worry about when deciding if I want a certain game.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I love my Wii. I play it more than my other consoles at this point as its an end of a console gen so most of the games I play I play on my PC. If I do play a console game I play the stellar single player Wii games. Xenoblade is the best RPG this gen IMHO and the franchise games are all top of this gen too for the Wii. And there were several other games I enjoyed as well... epic mickey, kings story, metriod with wii controls, RE with wii controls etc. The games I have on my shelf for replay for my 360 or PS3 are actually less than the games I have shelved for my Wii.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm not trying to debate local vs online, but I'd like to share this story. I was playing NSMBWii with one of my friends and we were in one of the castles. I ended up bouncing on his head and staying on to collect all the red coins above as he dashed passed a bunch of Thwomps. After all the red coins were collected, I jumped, which pushed him into the lava at the end and elevated me into the 1up. He looked at me and said he wasn't even mad because it was so amazing. I feel that experience wouldn't have meant as much if it were with someone online.

What if it was your friend online? We're not necessarily talking blind matchmaking here. The ability to ping a friend and play the game, just as if they were with you.

It's working in Mario Kart 7... why not here? It's a basic feature people are asking for here, not the a huge engineering debacle. I don't do most multiplayer online, but I do enjoy co-op with friends.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I begged for a Wii, played it for maybe six months, and haven't turned it on in more than a year. Most of the games I did play were either party games, like wii sports, or games from consoles I didn't own-- RE4 and River City Ransom. I did play three third party games-- Mad World, No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2. And that was pretty much it. The lack of third party games was a huge disappointment.

Because you don't own any of the great third party games available on the Wii doesn't mean they don't exist.

Smash Bros. is full of those moments where you have to pause the game because you're all laughing so hard. In particular the N64 title, in the Pokemon stage, where one player was a-sploded by a Pokemon that everybody else managed to jump out of the way of.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

Because you don't own any of the great third party games available on the Wii doesn't mean they don't exist.

If a good Wii game is made but noone is there to experience it, does it really exist? :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I love my Wii. I play it more than my other consoles at this point as its an end of a console gen so most of the games I play I play on my PC. If I do play a console game I play the stellar single player Wii games. Xenoblade is the best RPG this gen IMHO and the franchise games are all top of this gen too for the Wii. And there were several other games I enjoyed as well... epic mickey, kings story, metriod with wii controls, RE with wii controls etc. The games I have on my shelf for replay for my 360 or PS3 are actually less than the games I have shelved for my Wii.

Same here. I've posted this before and I'll post it again.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

Same here. I've posted this before and I'll post it again.

That is a fine collection!

• Options

What if it was your friend online? We're not necessarily talking blind matchmaking here. The ability to ping a friend and play the game, just as if they were with you.

It's working in Mario Kart 7... why not here? It's a basic feature people are asking for here, not the a huge engineering debacle. I don't do most multiplayer online, but I do enjoy co-op with friends.

Well there's a little more. Being able to see the look on your friends face and them actually being there is a bit of a different experience. Again, I'm not saying local is better than online or reverse, but I was just sharing the joy of playing locally.

• Options
    Welcome to 2012, we have these:
    jP5I9.jpg

They work really well to re-unite you with your college buddies for games online now that you're in the Real World™

sQwJu.png
  • Options

Well there's a little more. Being able to see the look on your friends face and them actually being there is a bit of a different experience. Again, I'm not saying local is better than online or reverse, but I was just sharing the joy of playing locally.

Some the best experiences I have had in Gaming has come from local multiplayer. I think I have only played Rock Band online once or twice as the experience was just not the same as having my friends at the house playing. I would rather play alone than with some random online. Not everything translates into great online play.

• Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    jP5I9.jpg

They work really well to re-unite you with your college buddies for games online now that you're in the Real World™
    Literally your entire presence on the forums in the past 10 days has been in E3/Nintendo threads, bitching about Nintendo.

We get it. You are not a fan.

• Options
    Graviija wrote: »
    jP5I9.jpg

Literally your entire presence on the forums in the past 10 days has been in E3/Nintendo threads, bitching about Nintendo.

Well his username does say he's angry.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Graviija wrote: »
    jP5I9.jpg

Well his username does say he's angry.

Plus he apparently uses Linux.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I actually really like my DS but continue bein' creepy, internet stalker dude D:

sQwJu.png
  • Options
    I actually really like my DS but continue bein' creepy, internet stalker dude D:

To be fair all it takes is a two-minute peek at your comments page to see a big chunk of "lol Nintendo is fucking up again" posts over the last week or two.

FU7kFbw.png
This discussion has been closed.