As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Death is a Lonely Business

StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice,To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Social Entropy++
Guys, Ray Bradbury is dead

Here's an article if you don't believe me

He was a great writer, and I have some pretty cherished memories of reading his books when I was younger. His big classic, Fahrenheit 451, is one of the all-stars of dystopia, and my personal favorite, The Illustrated Man, is a magnificent collection of stories ranging from the science fiction fantastic to some really downright chilling stuff. I recently reread Something Wicked This Way Comes, and I am still in love with him.

He was 91, which is a damn good run, and he last published a book in 2006.

Straightzi on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was just reading about this. Really sad but the dude was 91 and died peacefully so you can't ask for much more then that.

I'm reading The Veldt right now in his honor.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    so long, man

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Well fuck. I was generally more of an Asimov or Arthur C Clarke dude so I haven't read all his stuff, but that don't make this suck any less. Gotta go back and make sure I got everything one of these days.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just finished The Veldt again. So fucking good. Maybe I'll re-read Fahrenheit 451 next.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I need to read more of his work, but Dandelion Wine is my favorite story of his that I've read.

He was an incredible talent.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Just finished The Veldt again. So fucking good. Maybe I'll re-read Fahrenheit 451 next.

The Veldt is probably my favorite.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    And his wiki was updated

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I liked the Veldt a lot.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Here is a copy of the Veldt, if for some reasons you heathens ain't read it:

http://www.veddma.com/veddma/Veldt.htm

• Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    Anecdote:

When I was in junior high, the librarian got fed up with me borrowing The Martian Chronicles so many times. So she secretely told me to just keep it.

I read it so many times after that the cover completely felt apart, and I made it a new one, built entirely of insulating tape.

(why insulating tape? Because it was black, like the cover, and plastic, and it has lasted to this very day)

Goes without saying that Ray Bradbury was one of my favorite writers ever, and a huge influence, and I wouldn't be writing science fiction today if it wasn't for him.

Thank you, sir, wherever you are.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    In other news, Hunter S. Thompson is still dead.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    In other news, Hunter S. Thompson is still dead.

The most surprising news

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Fahrenheit 451 is probably the first book in its genre that I read, which inevitably pushed me towards more Bradbury and similar sci-fi. A big thank you to Mr. Bradbury for his works.

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Bradbury's writing at its best is like poetry. It was always a treat to read his work in school, a break from our ordinary drudgery. And I always appreciated his exploration of science fiction's artistic, spiritual dimensions.

I once read a passage from Something Wicked This Way Comes and was enamored of the language. Is the whole book as good? I need something new to read.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    this fucking year I swear to god

• Options
    Harrier wrote: »
    Bradbury's writing at its best is like poetry. It was always a treat to read his work in school, a break from our ordinary drudgery. And I always appreciated his exploration of science fiction's artistic, spiritual dimensions.

I once read a passage from Something Wicked This Way Comes and was enamored of the language. Is the whole book as good? I need something new to read.

It is a lovely book, although it can be a bit overbearingly moralistic at times

• Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    dang

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    I'm in the middle of the martian chronicles again

dang

"The Anthem Runners" was a funny story........

DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/toc/2012/06/04/toc_20120528
    I memorized all of “John Carter” and “Tarzan,” and sat on my grandparents’ front lawn repeating the stories to anyone who would sit and listen. I would go out to that lawn on summer nights and reach up to the red light of Mars and say, “Take me home!” I yearned to fly away and land there in the strange dusts that blew over dead-sea bottoms toward the ancient cities.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/backissues/2012/06/ray-bradbury-in-the-new-yorker.html#ixzz1x25lOdYN

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    that is... uncannily timely

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Hm. Instead of pouring one out, maybe I'll make some dandelion wine this summer.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

BB is going to be really upset.

Half of his childhood was spent reading Bradbury stories.

• Options
    Hm. Instead of pouring one out, maybe I'll make some dandelion wine this summer.

I have always wanted to try Dandelion Wine.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Sad news indeed, it is a cool to see that he had such a long run. The world of authors and science fiction lost a great man today.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    this fucking year I swear to god

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tumblr_m57ishLNlC1qay9wgo1_500.jpg
    Goodbye, Ray Bradbury! My favorite author of all time.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    BB is going to be really upset.

Half of his childhood was spent reading Bradbury stories.

yeah, this is rough

he was a great author and prolific as anybody could ever be, and I'll always love his work

Right now I'm reminded of a story in which one of his characters compares death to trying lobster for the first time

something new, but nothing to be afraid of

and another one in which he describes it as trying to remember a dance you were doing before you were born

I'll miss him, but I'll bet he was ready when the time came

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    After reading Fahrenheit 451 in school we were told to write an alternate ending. My ending involved all the characters getting killed because Guy wants their books.

The teacher showed it to the class as an example of what not to write. This may be the reason I never read any of his other books.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    aww, man, this is a national tragedy. bradbury is one of my favorite writers ever

time to go reread the veldt and have a little sniffle

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    I read a ton of Bradbury when I was younger. He had a huge impact on how I view the world.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    From Fahrenheit 451:

"Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you’re there."

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Dandelion Wine was POWERFUL stuff to 10-year-old me. It was the first book (collection, I guess) to truly impress on me the frailty of time, the shortness of life, the great magic of moments. I still remember the boys realizing that grownups were never young. Jesus.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    There Will Come Soft Rains is one of the earliest short stories I can remember reading. A sad day.

Here's a cool story involving him, back in 1963 a high school student sent a letter to a bunch of authors asking them about symbolism. Bradbury was one of the few to actually take time to write a thoughtful response.
    kc6ac.jpg
    TPbg7.jpg

sig.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I just picked up a few Bradbury books at the used bookstore

goddamn, I'm going to mourn him proper by reading the shit out of those books

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    he had a gift for titles.

i also loved There Will Come Soft Rains; does anyone else remember Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed? ...apparently, it was also a London sci-fi bookshop. so many memories...

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I want to read the veldt before I go to bed tonight

it was the first story of his I ever encountered

still one of my favorites

been reading some others too

the ending to The Homecoming is one of the saddest and most beautiful things I've ever read

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    After reading Fahrenheit 451 in school we were told to write an alternate ending. My ending involved all the characters getting killed because Guy wants their books.

The teacher showed it to the class as an example of what not to write. This may be the reason I never read any of his other books.

We had to write another character into the universe.

Farenheit was my only experience with this guy but I'm glad we had to read it in high school.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    When I was in middle school, I entered a speech competition where we had to memorize monologues from books and present them.

I did the scene where Captain Beatty mocks Guy and tells him why books aren't as good as he thinks they are.

I did a mediocre job of it, but I loved that scene.