As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

snips and snails and puppydog [chat]

Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Those ain't no cats. *ptoo*

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I waited so long, for this?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Wow carrot is your name AT&T because you just phoned that in.

anyway

Change your LinkedIn password, ya heard?

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Funny that this is the thread title given that my wife and I just watched the Star Trek TNG episode where Riker uses this exact expression.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I did not phone that in! I searched carefully for those puppy photos!

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah change your linked in passwords.

Also what's everyone's recommendation for a password manager suite that's portable and usable on both OSX and Windows? I'd like to keep it on my dropbox.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah change your linked in passwords.

Also what's everyone's recommendation for a password manager suite that's portable and usable on both OSX and Windows? I'd like to keep it on my dropbox.

i use 1password, i don't know if it's the best, but it works well with dropbox and my windows work computer and home computer and iphone and ipad and os x computers

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    ugh

I feel like crap

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

anyway

well that's just fantastic.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So Linkin apparently got hacked with a number of usernames and passwords being grabbed. So if you use Linkedin, you might want to change your password.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    And apparently I'm late with that news.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    An angry lil fella somewhere in Zhongdian:

P1000671.JPG

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Good OP. Pupppiiieeessss!

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I'm never opposed to cute pet pictures on the internet. It's one of the few institutions of the web that doesn't annoy or enrage me.

• Options

imX1B.gif

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »

anyway

ty for heads up!

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Fuck LinkedIn anyway.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I heard the Linkedin thing on the radio this morning. I already changed my password. Though it would be really sad if someone fucked with my half way empty profile. Really sad I say.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:
    would you rather have central banks screaming hysterically and shoveling money out the door?

A little money printing would be nice, actually.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »

imX1B.gif

that cat is a saint

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    It's alright though because the hacker probably only wanted to point out that their security was flawed!!!

• Options
    Oh hey

If you have a firstname.lastname at gmail account, and it uses the same password as your LinkedIn, you need to change them both.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I don't have a LinkedIn thing

feelsgoodman

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Oh hey

If you have a firstname.lastname at gmail account, and it uses the same password as your LinkedIn, you need to change them both.

to different things, please

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Oh hey

And this is why your gmail should be using two step authentication. There isn't really an excuse not to now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    pLeaD.gif

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    That cat is gonna eat that nerd!

• Options
    oh fuck you, bank. i have to re-register with their online thing too and they require one symbol character. i already make unbreakable passwords (via traditional brute force methods), asshats.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Oh hey

Eh, it's essentially impossible to actually get the original password from the SHA-1, and gmail almost certainly uses something better than raw sha-1 hashes because that's retarded.

I mean, it's probably not a bad idea.

Same dude also apparently did the same thing to last.fm not very long ago, and I don't think people made a big stink about it so you may wanna look into that.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Oh hey

The e-mail addresses linked to the accounts were grabbed too. Likely they will take longer to break but the risk here is that if you use the same password for Linkedin and your e-mail you're at risk. And possibly for other accounts using that password.

• Options
    408294_o.gif

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Gooey wrote:
    would you rather have central banks screaming hysterically and shoveling money out the door?

i think it comes down to a matter of opinion over the role of a central bank

a central bank cannot do a "little" stimulus by definition, it is an all or nothing type of action (or should be)

i think the difference is in the way the central bank conducts itself - in other words, should a central bank be proactive, constantly adjusting to economic tremors, or should a central bank remain stable, taking reactionary positions to dire economic circumstances

i prefer the latter, personally

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    "I appear this evening as a thief and a robber. I stole this head, these limbs, this body from my master, and ran off with them.” - Frederick Douglass

what a fucking boss

• Options
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Oh hey

Eh, it's essentially impossible to actually get the original password from the SHA-1, and gmail almost certainly uses something better than raw sha-1 hashes because that's retarded.

I mean, it's probably not a bad idea.

Same dude also apparently did the same thing to last.fm not very long ago, and I don't think people made a big stink about it so you may wanna look into that.

ZNet is reporting 300,000 of 6.4 million passwords cracked. My guess is mostly a number of the weaker ones. And given Linkedin's demographics there might be more effort put into this then Last.fm.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    so

many

puppy

gifs

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Gooey wrote:

i think it comes down to a matter of opinion over the role of a central bank

a central bank cannot do a "little" stimulus by definition, it is an all or nothing type of action (or should be)

i think the difference is in the way the central bank conducts itself - in other words, should a central bank be proactive, constantly adjusting to economic tremors, or should a central bank remain stable, taking reactionary positions to dire economic circumstances

i prefer the latter, personally

Alright, on the rules vs. discretion thing, I suspect ideal rules are better than ideal discretion but the rule being adhered to now is a pretty shoddy one; rate targeting rather than level targeting invariably means that mistakes get burned in rather than undone.

IAPW the Fed commits explicitly to more inflation above-target but below some non-hyperinflationary cap (maybe ~4%?) until unemployment is below %whatever and adheres to it, I guess, since rule changing means a regime change anyway.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.