As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Horror] The Lullaby of Yog-Sothoth: Monster Mashup

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    I like religiousy -
    Sister Mary, I am!

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Hm, handtracker seems to be down D:

Will finish setting you up as soon as it returns.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »

I will fight the monsters with SCIENCE!

Kate Winthrop
    , please :)

• Options
    Sister Mary is Blessed!

Sister Mary receives a Cross and Holy Water.

Sister Mary receives the spells Dread Curse of Azathoth and Wither.

Sister Mary learns the Luck skill!

• Options

Sister Mary receives the spells Dread Curse of Azathoth

ahahahaha

I love that a nun starts the game with this spell. :P

• Options
    Very combaty.
    The Fighting Nun!

• Options
    Kate Winthrop receives an Ancient Tome and a Lamp of Alhazred.

Kate Winthrop receives the spells Mists of Releh and Red Sign of Shuddle M'ell.

Kate Winthrop learns the Luck skill!

• Options
    AO's image in OP isn't there.

• Options
    Simple humans have not the minds to comprehend that which dooms them until they look into the gaping maw of madness itself

(You don't get to know which AO you face until the game starts, lest it inform decision making about your characters)

• Options
    Oops. Yup.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Look for the one with a 13 pt doom track!

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    The problem with Azathoth is that there's no margin for error if, for example, we reach the gate limit. It's not that he's harder, I mean, it's just that if he wakes up there ain't much to do about it.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    We did so well against Cthulhu, though!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    The problem with Azathoth is that there's no margin for error if, for example, we reach the gate limit. It's not that he's harder, I mean, it's just that if he wakes up there ain't much to do about it.
    "You lose" doesn't leave a whole lot of wiggle room, no.

Personal aside: I give my dogs (...and kids) strange names. Sure, their first name is totally reasonable. "Winter" for the white husky with blue eyes. "Summer" for brown-and-white husky/lab mix (because she looks like Winter with a tan :bz ).

But their full names? Winter was "Winter Princess McPuppykins <Darksun>" (no lie, this was a dog that did not like to get muddy). Summer is "Summer Called Azathoth, Destroyer of Worlds <Darksun>". Summer earned her name due to a particularly destructive separation anxiety phase (to include crates, a Nintendo DS (but not the battery), a caving helmet + head lamp (but not the bulb), remote controls, digging through a section of wall, the frame surrounding a window, and the non-glass portions of said window).

She earned that name.
    I read the end ("Cthulhu offers you a quick death if you give up."), but not the rest of the game. How did you get to the point where the Great Old One awakened?

I have a dog named Pixel! She's a half rottweiler, half Australian Shepard. She is huge and clumsy and has a bad hip :(

As far as the last game, we didn't get enough gates closed I think? Or the terror level got too high. It was bad news all around. I had several times rolling 6+ die with no successes. I was not helpful that game

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    From what I saw that other game was pretty horrifying. Dice rolls didn't go well, people kept going insane/to the hospital, and generally the investigators had a bad time of it. And then Cthulu woke up and they were nowhere near geared up to make a dent in him.

• Options
    Puppy dump!
    This is Pixel (pixi) as a puppy. She was small
    IMG_0429.jpg

This is her now, with her big fat sister, who is some sort of hound/dalmatian mix. We got them both from the pound, so the actual breed is a guess.
    IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I can't access arkham horror wiki on my work pc, but that dread curse thing sounds p. sweet.
    +9 to combat checks. Just straight +9, untyped. AKA, Dhole killer. Works as well on Fire Vampires (Physical Immune) as it does on the Colour Out of Space (Physical and Magic Immune).

Hmmm? Magic resist and immune applies normally to Dread Curse, just like (almost) all spells.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Dread Curse is just a +9 combat check, it isn't providing physical or magical. This does feel a bit counter-intuitive since you're casting a spell for it, but that's what it is.

Edit: Well, hm, I have conflicting reports when I research it further :P

I'll keep looking

Nullzone on
  • Options
    Alright, final word by the FFG rulebook is that spells are all Magical bonuses, so they would be affected by Magic Resist/Magic Immune.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I read the end ("Cthulhu offers you a quick death if you give up."), but not the rest of the game. How did you get to the point where the Great Old One awakened?
    For starters everyone did their own thing.

Then we started getting overwelmed by monsters.

Then we said "oh shit kill monsters" and we started getting overwelmed by gates.

Then we said "oh shit close gates" and we kept even for a couple turns before being overwelmed by pretty much eveyrthing.

Then cthulhu woke up and boned us. hard

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    For starters everyone did their own thing.

Then we started getting overwelmed by monsters.

Then we said "oh shit kill monsters" and we started getting overwelmed by gates.

Then we said "oh shit close gates" and we kept even for a couple turns before being overwelmed by pretty much eveyrthing.

Then cthulhu woke up and boned us. hard

This is the game where we learn from those mistakes and do better!
    Time to use our prohibition-era walkie talkies!
    I've got a bunch of string and some tin cans. Let's hook this shit UP

• Options
    Yeah, Colour Out of Space requires just your straight fight dice for the most part. Some allies or other effects (not spells/weapons) give bonuses to the raw combat check too, and there's always clue tokens.

• Options
    When do I set my sliders and stuff?

• Options
    I was waiting until other housekeeping got done, but I suppose no point in waiting if you have the rest of your character bits.

@TheRoadVirus
    @GrimmyTOA
    @El Skid
    @jdarksun
    @stever777

Set your initial skill positions.

• Options
    Sp/Sn : 3/3
    Fi/Wi : 4/3
    Lo/Lu: 3/0

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh, here's a thought, but I leave it to you players to decide on it...

Would you prefer a more "machined" experience with the pieces and actions or more narrative focused?

The difference being the way Mythos cards are presented and how you interact with game bits.

Edit: To be more specific, rather than saying "Ashcan Pete gets an item" you would get a 1-2 sentence story involving whatever led to receiving the item, perhaps with color added if special powers were used.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I like the idea of a narrative approach! Maybe add a tl:dr spoiler if needed so people can get a quick summary of what happened if they're LAZY?

If you're up for the narrative approach, I don't think it would be frowned upon. Just don't take on too much if you dont wanna do it

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Narrative seems like more work for you, Null, but could be interesting.

• Options
    Oh, here's a thought, but I leave it to you players to decide on it...

Would you prefer a more "machined" experience with the pieces and actions or more narrative focused?

The difference being the way Mythos cards are presented and how you interact with game bits.

Edit: To be more specific, rather than saying "Ashcan Pete gets an item" you would get a 1-2 sentence story involving whatever led to receiving the item, perhaps with color added if special powers were used.
    If you're happy, I'm happy! (whatever works for you)

Also, if you'd like to turn this into a more narrative experience, we could add some character flavor to our posts.

I get to play a hobo instead of a gangster this time. Yes.
    All my text will be in dark green to emphasize my stinkiness

• Options
    Yours or your chars? :P

• Options
    stever777 wrote: »
    Yours or your chars? :P

You'll find out soon enough!
    I'm just glad he isn't following through on that platypusdeerbear threat from the mini.
    A hairy, quivering blob praying for death?
    It's got a huge bill, and then tiny legs, and an enormous body. Can't hold itself up. It's science.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Dread Curse is just a +9 combat check, it isn't providing physical or magical. This does feel a bit counter-intuitive since you're casting a spell for it, but that's what it is.

Edit: Well, hm, I have conflicting reports when I research it further :P

I'll keep looking

Well yeah, every magic weapon and spell is worded like that. I don't think there's any instance where something says "Get +5 magical dice".

To my knowledge, the only spells that ignore magic immunity/resist is Bind Monster because it's not a combat check. (It'd be interesting to research if Voice of Ra is negated by immunity).

The only combat bonus I can think of that works against Colors is the martial arts skill (expansion). Otherwise they're almost impossible to take down because any investigator with a high enough Fight value is going to be driven insane before he can kill it. Best bet there is some kind of item that helps with horror checks or sanity loss.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I could swear that one of the editions actually did say it on the card, which is why I got hung up on it. But the rulebook pretty clearly says spells = magic dice, so I'm happy to go with that.

• Options
    Speaking of Science...

SP/SN: 4/2
    FI/WI: 1/3
    Lo/Lu: 4/2

• Options
    Speaking of Religion...

SP/SN: 3/2
    FI/WI: 1/3
    Lo/Lu: 3/4

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Speaking of selling coal to Newcastleans...

Sp/Sn: 3/2
    Fi/Wi: 2/5
    Lo/Lu: 0/4

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Put me in coach, Im ready! :D

• Options
    THIS AIN'T YOUR GRANDMOTHER'S ARKHAM SON

WE GOT REAL SHIT TO DO

• Options
    I'm gonna do the first mythos phase around 11pm ET, whether we have two more players or not.