As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Horror] The Lullaby of Yog-Sothoth: Monster Mashup

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Sheesh. I'm an Elder Sign magnet right now. I'm going to have to do better at taking care of this one.

Skill Sliders:
    Speed/Sneak 4/2
    Fight/Will 2/3
    Lore/Luck 4/0

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Mandy has respawned at the Library.

Mythos phase coming shortly.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Wait grimmy was the guy who had the other elder signs right?

How many Elder signs do we have right now?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

The chant could be heard all across Arkham. The followers of Cthulhu were rising up, taking advantage of the chaos to garner favor with their own patron. Little did they know how much power lay in those words...

The staff at St. Mary's were all gathered by the southeast windows, murmuring to themselves about how safe it was here; another portal had appeared in the Woods. Two more creatures came shambling out of it.

Police dispatch radioed Joe Diamond to let him know that an anonymous tip was just placed about suspicious activity over at the Historical Society.

Overhead, the Nightgaunt sensed an opening as Kate Winthrop stood out in the open of the Miskatonic University streets, still a bit stupefied by her experience with the artifact handed to her in the Science Building. It swooped in, hoping to catch her by surprise.

Mythos
    A doom counter is added to the doom track! (3/12)
    A gate to Plateau of Leng opens at the Woods! (3/5)
    A Maniac and a Dark Young emerge from the gate! (5/10)
    A Clue token appears at the Historical Society!
    The Nightgaunt swoops down into the streets of Arkham, at Miskatonic University!

R'lyeh Rising - Environment (Mystic): Star Spawn and Maniacs have their toughness increased by 1. The difficulty to seal or close gates to R'lyeh is increased by 1.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Grimmy handed off one of his elder signs before going through the gate to Harvey, so collectively you have two of them at the moment.

@jdarksun is first player.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    Can I fight the cultist and try and close the gate? Or will one block the other from happening?

• Options
    Depending on the board layout we could actually use that night gaunt to bounce someone through the gate in the woods without having to deal with the monsters there. Just a thought.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I think I'll be fine against the nightgaunt. Is the nearest gate the one where grimmy got devoured? I might actually just want to fail to kill it and get sucked in there :P

• Options
    Grimmy was eaten in the City of the Great Race, which is at the Graveyard.

From the Nightgaunt's current position, the portals to The Dreamlands (Unvisited Isle) and Plateau of Leng (Woods) are equidistant.

Bedlam, you can do both; fighting the cultist is movement phase, while closing the gate is encounter phase. Note however that you don't have to fight the cultist this turn since you just returned.

• Options
    Nullzone, do I have an opportunity to adjust my sliders this turn?

• Options
    Yes, slider adjustments are during upkeep phase.

• Options
    Well hello Mr. Nightgaunt!

Horror check = 3-1 = 2 dice

Horror check vs nightgaunt (2d6.hits(5)=1) No sanity loss

Fight check = 1 + 5 (Lamp) -2 (Nightgaunt) = 4 dice

Fight nightgaunt (4d6.hits(5)=1) 1 hit isn't good enough. I'd rather not spend the clue token (since I now have exactly enough to close the gate), so moving into Plateau of Leng! (No stamina loss for failing the check)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Turn order:

jdarksun as Harvey Walters
    El Skid as Kate Winthrop
    GrimmyTOA as the new person <-
    Bedlam as Jenny Barnes
    Cayrus as Joe Diamond
    TheRoadVirus as Ashcan Pete
    stever777 as Sister Mary

El Skid on
  • Options
    Harvey Walters looked down street toward the Graveyard, where the portal that Bob Jenkins just crossed through still stood. He watched Bob get attacked and then vanish into thin air. Figuring he could stand to be a little better prepared, he pulled out an old tome he carried around, and began to read from it. Ancient words flowed from the pages, invading Harvey's mind; the strain was incredible, but he managed to hold on long enough to piece together one specific set of keywords that could cripple any creature.

Feeling accomplished, he closed the book and marched onward toward the portal.

@jdarksun receives the Wither spell!

• Options
    Kate Winthrop snapped out of her stupor as the whoomp of the Nightgaunt's wings buffeted the air around her. Her research had hinted at the existence of much worse creatures than this, so she took comfort in that fact and refused to let the winged beast intimidate her. She pulled out the mystic lamp that she always kept on her (for reasons she could never quite explain herself; it just seemed like a good idea) and brandished it at the creature.

She struck the beast in the face, but it only just seemed to scratch it; the Nightgaunt shrieked, and took off into the air again, picking up Kate and carrying her to the open portal in the Woods. Kate fought against the creature's grip, but it was too late; the Nightgaunt flung her through the portal, and she tumbled to the ground on the other side.

@El Skid is thrown into the Plateau of Leng!

@GrimmyTOA is next.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Sorry, had to go afk for a bit. If it's still okay to reset my sliders, I'll do so. I understand if you don't think that's kosher, though, given that the movement phase has already started. Obviously it's your call, so I'll put both sets of orders in here and be happy with whatever fate you choose for me.

If I can still reset my sliders:
    Set my speed/sneak to 2/4
    I'll try to Evade the gaunt.
    Nightgaunt evasion: 2d6t5 0
    Or not.
    I'll spend a clue token.
    Evade (clue token): 1d6t5 1
    Success!
    I'll move on to the French Hill Streets

If I can't reset my sliders:
    I'll stay in the Library and have an encounter.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    You get your upkeep phase too, so yeah you can totally reset.

• Options
    Cool, I just didn't want to be taking advantage of my knowledge of El Skid's turn. Obviously being drawn through the gate after he's already in there is less desirable than ... well, than not being drawn through the gate. Figured I'd give you the call.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    @Nullzone - You narration is awesome... Just wanted to share that!

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Cerberus wrote: »
    @Nullzone - You narration is awesome... Just wanted to share that!

I know, I'm really enjoying them too. Agh, pressure! D:
    I don't have time to put narration in my game...

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Mi-go paced back and forth in his dimly-lit study. He was contemplating his next action, and whether he wanted to follow in the footsteps of his ally. While he pondered, Cthulhu came into the room and ate him because he inherited TRV's terrible dice luck, and he tasted like chicken. The end!

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Mi-go paced back and forth in his dimly-lit study. He was contemplating his next action, and whether he wanted to follow in the footsteps of his ally. While he pondered, Cthulhu came into the room and ate him because he inherited TRV's terrible dice luck, and he tasted like chicken. The end!

But then, Cthulhu released he had accidentally ate his master and spat him out. Cthulhu humbly grovelled at mi-go's feet begging him for forgiveness. His punishment for his mistake was to make deep-fried calamari.

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that @Bedlam is up.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Mandy Thompson heard the shrieks outside the Library. She didn't really want to go out there; it was much safer in here, with her books. But everything she had been reading pointed to these events, and there was only one outcome: annihilation. If there was any chance to stop it, she had to try.

While the Nightgaunt was distracted dealing with Kate, she snuck out of the Library. When the winged creature carried Kate off, she made a break for it; if she could just get to French Hill, there were enough buildings and trees around that it would be easier to stay hidden. As she ran across the open courtyard of the Miskatonic University campus, she could see the Nightgaunt in the distance to the south throwing what could only be Kate through the portal in the Woods. The creature then came around - it was coming back to the University! Mandy tried to hurry, but failed to notice the shallow tree root that was in her path. She tripped, and the combination of her speed and the weight of her book bag sent her sprawling across the campus street.

whoomp, whoomp. The creature's beating wings were getting louder. Mandy picked herself up and began to panic; she couldn't outrun this thing, and if it saw her she was done for. She certainly didn't want to end up getting thrown around like a ragdoll, as she just watched Kate do. Mandy quickly scurried around and grabbed the last of her books before making a mad dash eastward to French Hill, ducking through a nearby alley just as the great creature landed again in the square, eager to sniff out other prey.

Mandy breathed a quiet sigh of relief and slumped down against the building to catch her breath. That was close.

@Bedlam is up next!

Nullzone on
  • Options
    And thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm trying to keep it interesting instead of robotic; one of the things I love about AH is the mounting sense of dread, and I didn't want to lose that in the PBP translation.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    And thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm trying to keep it interesting instead of robotic; one of the things I love about AH is the mounting sense of dread, and I didn't want to lose that in the PBP translation.

This game gets more awesome
    1) when people get more intoxicated at our game nights.
    2) when things go bad

• Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Bedlam, you can do both; fighting the cultist is movement phase, while closing the gate is encounter phase. Note however that you don't have to fight the cultist this turn since you just returned.
    Nah Im going to fuck this thing up.

Theres no horror check against these dudes, right? The Yog effect is that I roll -1 combat?

• Options
    Ok so long as no one blesses this shotgun Im golden :D

First set Fight/Will to 4/2 for maximum killification.

Then autopass horror check.

Then shoot him in the face: 8d6 → [1,4,3,3,1,6,3,1] = (22) Not a great roll but shotgun ability gives me two success so thats cool I guess.

Then I wait to fight the gate? I can roll for it now if you want. Should be 4 Fight vs a +1 gate modifiyer?

Otherwise @Cayrus is up.

• Options
    Oh dummy Im suposed to only do seven :S

7d6 → [2,1,5,4,1,2,1] = (16)

Only one success on redo. That is enough right?

• Options
    Remember that due to Yog's power you need 2 successes to close/seal the gate.

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Set slider:
    Speed/Sneak: 5/2

Move to Silver Twilight Lodge.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    Mandy will use her re-roll power should Cayrus' gate closure attempt fail.

(Allowing Cayrus to re-roll all of the relevant dice)

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    I think you mean Bedlam.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    Cayrus wrote: »
    I think you mean Bedlam.

I think you mean Bedlam. Err... so do I.

Thanks Cayrus.

• Options
    To be fair magic cartoon dogs and british actors bear a striking resemblence to each other.

And neither look anything like dancing nancies.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Jenny Barnes was contemplating how best to collapse the portal back into The Dreamlands when she was interrupted by the sound of sinister laughter behind her. She turned to see one of the robed Cultists, arms outstretched, eyes rolled back in his head; it was as though he was channeling some other dark power, and was not himself present at all. Jenny didn't much care; she swung the Shotgun slung across her back around and peppered the Cultist full of holes. He slumped over, blood pooling on the ground around him, and Jenny watched as his essence itself evaporated from its mortal shell.

She turned her attention back to the task at hand.

@Bedlam defeats the Cultist and receives its trophy!

@Cayrus has a standing order so @TheRoadVirus is next.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    Good morning folks! Sorry for the delay. Gimme a few to get caught up and I'll edit this post with my plans

• Options
    Alright, so I'm gonna get my learn on. (Are clue tokens tradeable?)
    Reading the journal. 1 move expended. 2 remain.
    Lore-1 = 2
    2d6.hits(5) → [6,5] = (2)
    GIMME MAH CLUES!

Reading the cabal. 2 move expended. 0 remain.
    lore-2 = 1
    1d6.hits(5) → [5] = (1)

So apparently I roll great when it comes time to see if I can read things...

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    (Are clue tokens tradeable?)

Unfortunately not :cry:

• Options
    Cerberus wrote: »
    (Are clue tokens tradeable?)

Unfortunately not :cry:

Darn, I think I have like.... 80 by now!