As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When was the last time A.I. impressed you?

124»

• Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Tiemler wrote: »
    SWAT4. This is your entry team. This is your entry team in a pile on the floor because you underestimated the perpetrators. Any questions?

Yes, I have one. Why does the enemy get better AI than my partners? :P

The irony here is, I consistently get better results leading an AI element than with a group of even really serious Coop players.
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Oh, I don't think anybody remembered this, and I don't think it quite counts as AI, but there was also something to be said for the host in the You Don't Know Jack games.

The way he would respond to certain things you did, while scripted of course, was a little on the eerie side sometimes. And when I played "The Ride" for a first time, and it said my name after I typed it in... I freaked out a little bit.

That reminds me of the talking 'Ask Chef' feature on Comedy Central's page back in the early days of South Park. Me and some friends were messing around with it, and Chef's answers were right on target, either hilarious or just plain eerie.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, I don't think anybody remembered this, and I don't think it quite counts as AI, but there was also something to be said for the host in the You Don't Know Jack games.

The way he would respond to certain things you did, while scripted of course, was a little on the eerie side sometimes. And when I played "The Ride" for a first time, and it said my name after I typed it in... I freaked out a little bit.

I take back my post. Even though it was scripted, they did a good job with making him come off as a very realistic character, particularly when he would come up with a unique response specifically acknowledging a wrong answer. (Like "Well, you might think so but here's why you're wrong" sort of moments)

My most memorable moment was during Jack Attack. I didn't answer any of the questions, but my sister did - and got many of them right, overtaking my lead. The host called me "chicken shit."

Conn on
    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Definitely in the first Half-Life facing off against the marines, to this day I am still impressed with how good the A.I. was in the first Half-Life. Specifically the moment that really surprised me was in Surface Tension (I believe..) just after you scale the cliffs and pop up out of the sewers to a series of canals, where several marines and a tank are waiting. Just by one of the sewer exits there was this underground drainage tube right next so some sand bags, when I first played it on the hardest level, I hid in that drainage tube waiting for them to come to me so I could pick them off. Well one came by and I took care of him, the others though weren't as stupid, one they determined where I was they ran up to the drainage tube but at an area where I couldn't see them and the next thing I know, I see a grenade roll into the tube right in front of me, then boom. Greatest moment in video game A.I. history for me.

Another game that was fairly impressive A.I. wise was Far Cry. On the harder levels the A.I. can get pretty smart. One moment that surprised me was at the very beginning of the game on the realistic difficulty, you have to cross a small stream into a camp with a bunch of mercenaries there, they saw me of course, so I had a firefight going with about three mercenaries across the camp. Little did I know that they decided to send a second group to flank me while the first group distracted me. I take out the three across the camp, I turned around and there were the other mercenaries directly behind me.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Like many people already. FEAR. I was far from constantly amazed, but the odd moments did impress me.

I go through a doorway that leads to a narrow corridor with no turnings (A deathtrap in a firefight). Not met any bad guys in a while, so I'm not being very cautious.

I'm a short way along the coridoor before I notice the soldier walking the other way. I think "Oh shit", and start backpedalling. A fraction after I spot him, he spots me. Rather than opening fire, I watch as he also thinks "oh shit" (visibly startles) and also starts running back the way he came.

I was stunned that the AI reacted in exactly the same illogical (but very human) way.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Conn wrote: »

I take back my post. Even though it was scripted, they did a good job with making him come off as a very realistic character, particularly when he would come up with a unique response specifically acknowledging a wrong answer. (Like "Well, you might think so but here's why you're wrong" sort of moments)

My most memorable moment was during Jack Attack. I didn't answer any of the questions, but my sister did - and got many of them right, overtaking my lead. The host called me "chicken shit."

During one Jack Attack I hit my ring in key so many time I got like -$50,000

"PLAYER 1 YOU JUST DIARRHEA'D ALL OVER YOUR SCORE!!"

Made me laugh...

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First time? Half-life Uplink.
    Remember the big warehouse with the marine vs lightning aliens fight? After you've activated the sattelite or whatever it was?
    I remember clearing all that fight on hard, jumping in and out of cover, letting them kill each other, leading them on merry little chases around obstacles so I only fought one at a time, until there was one guy left. That guy, I actually ran out of clip firing at him, so I backpedaled around behind the giant metal crate we were next to while reloading. He didn't follow me, but I heard him say something which indicated he was still on the other side of the crate (it was one of those tall things with doors that get loaded on ships?).
    So I switched to grens and lobbed one over the crate in a short arc. When it went off I saw his gibbed skull splat out across the floor from behind the crate, smiled to myself in satisfaction, and pressed the quick save button.
    0.1 milliseconds after pressing the button, a grenade landed directly in front of me.
    I stared at it in shock for about 1 second before it blew up, sending my gibbed skull skidding across the floor next to his.
    My face was like this: :O
    We'd exchanged grenades. What's worse, the fucker had either held onto his grenade longer, or sent it up in a longer arc, so that it would explode quickly upon landing. It took me 8 quickloads to realise I could never get out of its range quick enough to not die, so I had to restart that whole section.

Last time? Hmm. Probably fear.
    I remember one point I ran into a room filled with about 5 clones with bullet time active, took out 2 with repeated shots to the head and quick aiming, and blew up a grenade just as it left the hand of the 3rd guy. My bullet time ran out, so I backtailed it out of the room and reloaded. My life was low too, so I decided to wait for the survivors to come round the corner and kill them as they came.
    The conversation went something like this:
    Survivor1:"Where did he go?"
    Survivor2:"I don't know!"
    Survivor1:"Flush him out!"
    Survivor2: "Fuck you!"

Scripted or not, it made me laugh so hard I had to pause the game.
    I wouldn't want to chase down a guy who had just killed the rest of my team in seconds and then blew up a grenade in midair either.

In the end, the pussies wouldn't come out, so I had to go in and kill them. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MA17 wrote: »
    The dinosaur AI in Trespasser included checks for things like hunger, meaning you could walk by a Tyrannosaurus safely sometimes, or could (theoretically) lure a large dumb creature towards the T. Rex as bait, then scurry away unhurt, and I thought that was pretty cool.

In practice, though, it sure looked like the raptors were always hungry and possibly angry, and the T. Rexes either noticed you or didn't, it wasn't always easy to tell just WHAT their motives were, since I was loathe to attract their attention regardless of how full they might be. Plus, I was so busy trying not to drop my gun while walking up a gentle incline that I hardly noticed any dinosaurs.

Man, fuck that game.

They fucked up and took the AI out of the game. They just cranked aggression up to full, apparently the dinos kept having random mood swings and to get the game out on time they never had chance to fix it.

Shame really.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sometimes when playing WoW it's almost as if there's a real person controlling that other character

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sometimes when playing WoW it's almost as if there's a real person controlling that other character

But then they start running against the wall for three minutes straight, or start to dance when you're yelling at them to cast a spell for you. Then the illusion of intelligence shatters.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DON'T ATTACK THE POLYMORPHED TARGETS FFS!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ForgottenSpiralForgottenSpiral Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Facade

ForgottenSpiral on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FEAR! Simply amazing AI. It was the only game that made me stop and appreciate AI. I think the coolest part was being able to hear the clones predict what you were doing, or flush you out of a well guarded spot. Also, swearing is cool.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FEAR of course is probably a stock answer, and it should be (the AI is mighty impressive), but I've got to say the AI in Crackdown surprised me.

2 scenarios: I was on top of a crane on the docks, and there's an overpass that goes through the docks area. I was up there sniping people and there were 2 guys left, and both of them were positioned under the overpass in a way that I couldn't fire at them, but they could hit my feet, and they did this until someone came up behind me and knocked me off the crane with a rocket.

2. I fired a heatseeking rocket at a guy, and instead of doing what they normally do (stand there and die) he ran to the right where a pillar was a backed up so the rocket hit the pillar and he avoided any damage.

I don't know if they were flukes, but I found it cool.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ak74uak74u Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I first played Medal of Honor (PSX) in the late 1999/early 2000 throwing a grenade at the enemy and would kick it/toss it back or jump on it to save their comerades. That was truly amazing and first and (unfortuanly) the last time A.I impressed me

ak74u on
    thetrenches14qk.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Facade

"You gave me a clearly worded, supportive response? How dare you! Out, now!"

jothki on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only one that thinks HL1 had more impressive AI than HL2?

Also, puzzle game AI is downright evil. It is impressive to see a CPU make huge chains at will. And emasculating.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    DoomninjaDoomninja Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No...

Man the soldiers in HL were just, ruthless. Those fights were over fast, because they either killed you in a few moments, or you managed to live long enough to dodge the grenades you KNOW they were throwing at you RIGHT THEN and unload a clip in them. Mostly impressive in the close quarters fighting though, with plenty of cover.

You just couldn't stay in one spot for any length of time or you were a goner.

Doomninja on
    1154825-1.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    theSAVED wrote: »
    Apparently at least some of the UT AI was done through an evolutionary process

You believe in evolution?!?!

(I kid, I kid)

I really liked UT, but I felt that the bots went in staccato steps from "they can't aim for shit" to "eight rockets up my ass every time I spawn."
    I think you're thinking of Quake 3.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    HL marine and FEAR soldiers are the reason why I prefer to fight human a.i. over monster a.i. what the hell is up with these programmers keep thinking that once they aren't primates they have to act all braindead.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Black and White is my favorite game. I wasn't around for the hype and picked it up 3 years ago, fell in love with it.

It really got me when I was teaching my pet sheep how to shoot lightning. I put on the learning leash and began casting lightning on nearby trees. Every so often the sheep would point at the flaming trees, look at me, and I'd pet it. So I'd done it enough so that sheepy could shoot lightning himself, and I decided I didn't like the village just beyond my reach, so I turned on the aggressive leash and leashed my pet to the enemy town. Expecting him to call down the thunder, he scampered into town, walked out a bit, blasted a nearby tree with lightning, and hurled the flaming tree through the village, spreading flames to people and buildings. He did this until all that was left was charred corpses.

To bad they turned the pet into "feed town? yes feed town. Throw fireball? yes throw fireball." In black and white 2. Might as well have been a text adventure

Yes. Yes Yes Yes.

I had the smartest damned monkey in the world. He did everything right. Wouldn't eat or drop villagers, but he'd give them jobs and dance for them. He'd make food, lumber, water crops, harvest food...he was the perfect little helper and did all the micromanaging for me. I loved that ape. Monkey. Whatever. A little on the small side (and he got his ass kicked alot), but he was awesome.

My friend's creature was completely retarded. It did nothing to help, and it crapped on his own town.

My point is that how your creature acted showed what you put into it, and it seemed to reflect your personality quite a bit. Yeah, i was pretty hard to get it straight, but once you did, it was mervelous.

Then the abortion that is B&W2 happened.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like the AI of my squadmates in R6: Vegas quite a bit. Very good at taking cover for themselves when I'm not issuing orders.

Gears was good about that too. I guess I was just impressed that I finally had some AI teammates that weren't complete balls to play with.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Definitely Gears of War. I mean there were some moments where you were actually inspired to kill them because the AI had literally just fucked over your brilliant plan in Co-op.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FEAR was the first FPS I ever played where after you and your opponents take cover, you can't just aim at the place where the CPU is hiding and expect them to pop out at you after an uncomforatble delay. This blew my mind. "Oh yeah! Why would anyone step out in the open when they know that you're waiting there to nail them?" Any other game where enemies are aware of you and take cover will only do so for a set period of time before making a break for it (they wont wait for ever).

CZroe on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    theSAVED wrote: »
    Apparently at least some of the UT AI was done through an evolutionary process

You believe in evolution?!?!

(I kid, I kid)

I really liked UT, but I felt that the bots went in staccato steps from "they can't aim for shit" to "eight rockets up my ass every time I spawn."
    I think you're thinking of Quake 3.

The 30 minutes (total) I played of Crap 3 Crapena felt like that too, yeah.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't really think of a recent example where A.I. "impressed" me- just to be unoriginal, I'll cite Half-Life like everyone else. The game blew me out of the water in every conceivable way when I first tried it out.

Usually if I see something neat in a game, a different enemy will make such an incredibly stupid move that it ruins the moment. I don't mean believable mistakes like breaking cover too soon or guarding the wrong entrance of a building, I mean like rushing down a corridor so you can throw yourself over your own fucking grenade (I'm looking at you, Half-Life 2).

Complaints of scripting and whatnot really don't worry me: the fact is that a single-player game, unless a randomly generated sandbox sort of thing, is pretty much a set arena. Flooding the place with AI nodes and interest points so the enemy can use cover and smash down doors or whatever isn't "cheating" in my eyes, it's just really goddamn cool to witness.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't there some game with a talking fish with a human-like face? As a young kid I was always fascinated by computer programs like Eliza, so I might want to track down that game just to see if it did anything interesting with AI.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mspencer wrote:
    Wasn't there some game with a talking fish with a human-like face? As a young kid I was always fascinated by computer programs like Eliza, so I might want to track down that game just to see if it did anything interesting with AI.
    Seaman for Dreamcast.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Call of Duty's AI is pretty impressive, especially in the last mission of the expansion. I mean, dudes who can snap to my exact position and headshot me as I lean out from cover while they reload? Ubermensch indeed. :O

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    LordsOfPlagueLordsOfPlague Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    a penguin wrote: »

My point is that how your creature acted showed what you put into it, and it seemed to reflect your personality quite a bit. Yeah, i was pretty hard to get it straight, but once you did, it was mervelous.

This is what made it so great for me. I tought my creature to love and feed the people. After I set an enemy village on fire, it would go in and make rain, putting it out. I take, he gives.

It always bothered me when people bashed on the game because of their pet. They're like "my pet eats shit! then it shits the shit and eats it again! then it throws rocks at townspeople" if you train it right your pet will never do this kind of thing.

Unless, of course, you want it to.

LordsOfPlague on
    durance6qy.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hah! My companion in Oblivion just shot the hell out of a bandit and then when they got into melee, she quickly switched to sword and shield, blocked the warhammer, and did a power attack and killed the Bandit. It just looked so damn flawless.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Call of Duty's AI is pretty impressive, especially in the last mission of the expansion. I mean, dudes who can snap to my exact position and headshot me as I lean out from cover while they reload? Ubermensch indeed. :O

I lol'd.

Bot ai in CS 1.5 or so was hilarious. Just a collection of walking hacks and waypoints. But they still did interesting things.

I remember a match where I was last, and a friend was watching me try to take out the last two bots. They don't see me, but I jump from the top-rear balcony of assault onto the cargo containers. They don't see me, but they pinpoint the sound instantly, compensate, and each land several bullets where my head would be through the box.

Another match, it was a bot T against two human CT's. Full armour/helmet, just slight hp damage (neither below 80) while the bot was nearly dead with a p228. Walking around on cbble, the two cts have it cornered, and they each walk around opposite corners at exactly the same time, coming into view of the bot.

Now the bot had its back to one of them, but it jump/crouched, shot the ct ahead right in the face, spun 180, and shot the second ct in the face.

Bang-Bang. Two ct bodies hit the floor at the same time the bot lands.

Terrorists Win.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg