As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is your pipe dream, SE

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    When I was in middle school we had to write a "what would you do with a million bucks?" paper.

I decided that I wanted an early 90s Porche 911 and a re-painted military cargo plane that was outfitted like a luxury loft apartment (I don't think I fully knew what a million dollars could/couldn't buy). When I got bored of living in one place I'd just fly somewhere else.

It's basically the airborne version of owning a yacht and sailing the world.

I wonder how much that lifestyle would ACTUALLY cost?

The basic C-130 Hercules (the unarmed cargo plane) runs at approximately $66 million. And then fuel is expensive. Soooo you're looking in the neighborhood of $$Texas

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    When I was in middle school we had to write a "what would you do with a million bucks?" paper.

I decided that I wanted an early 90s Porche 911 and a re-painted military cargo plane that was outfitted like a luxury loft apartment (I don't think I fully knew what a million dollars could/couldn't buy). When I got bored of living in one place I'd just fly somewhere else.

It's basically the airborne version of owning a yacht and sailing the world.

I wonder how much that lifestyle would ACTUALLY cost?

At least a couple hundred million if you go with a very old plane. Probably closer to a billion.

that's ignoring fuel airport rental fees and god knows what else.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Would you keep the Porsche in the cargo plane?

That way you could just airdrop it right on the street whenever you move to a new place

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    well I mean it depends on how much you rob doesn't it

like if you rob a billion dollars couldn't I just earn a million by wearing a suit and standing outside the bank

not rob

liberate

also that is like asking if you can have $100 for standing outside a convenience store in a tshirt and sandals
    and no pants

:winky:

Joolander on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That way you could just airdrop it right on the street whenever you move to a new place

Operation: Party Drop

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    father and husband

a house in the pacific northwest, as it's easily my favorite place to go exploring

enough cash to help who i can, travel a bit, and live comfortably

i have no clue what career i'll end up in yet though

got a couple years for that

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    my pipe dream is running my own tv show I guess

like, big budget, creative control, whatever

I'd probably be real bad at it though

The Geebs That Is A TV Show Host

It'll be Dirty Jobs style, Geebs travels across the world trying his hand at various well-known and unknown trades.

Every episode name is a variant of "The Geebs That Is A..."

This is the best idea ever.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    I want be gren lantern

• Options
    Serious answer: Host of a radio show.

I've done this!
    Well, in college, but I still did it

Lots of fun

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I mean if I only had a million dollars I already have that shit planned.

Half in savings A quarter for me to blow A quarter to pay off any debt and get a house and some land.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I'd also like to be able to grow a beard. I'm trying right now and, man, it's terrible. I just have a terrible thing on my face.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wanna learn guitar.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »
    I'd also like to be able to grow a beard. I'm trying right now and, man, it's terrible. I just have a terrible thing on my face.

I can grow one helluva beard.

It ain't so great though.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

The Porche rides around in the cargo bay until I wanna land and drive it around. I would live in the plane.

Like a houseboat with wings.

I would paint it up like the Seaduck from Tailspin.

And yeah, 13-year-old me was an idiot. In my defense the internet was still young and I had no way of knowing how much a cargo plane costs.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Fly
    Shot beems
    Has ab

• Options
    I mean if I only had a million dollars I already have that shit planned.

Half in savings A quarter for me to blow A quarter to pay off any debt and get a house and some land.

$250k buys a lot of blow.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    My simple answer is the famous writer one. I want to write a series of books that get turned into hit movies that get turned into hit video games that get turned into a huge multimedia empire. Basically I'd be George Lucas minus the second half of his career.

My complicated answer involves nanomachines, time travel, and parallel worlds.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I wanna learn drums

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'd also like to be a professional writer

but I'm not going to even attempt to make that a career cause that's a real pipedream

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Serious answer: Host of a radio show.

I've done this!
    Well, in college, but I still did it

Lots of fun

I don't want to do a "play songs" format thing though. I wanna fuck around on the air.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    ooh I want a segway

with a podium bolted to it with some intricate and completely nonsensical seal and latin motto

then I'd wear a suit while I rode around doing errands and stuff and just stare at people

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

The Porche rides around in the cargo bay until I wanna land and drive it around. I would live in the plane.

Like a houseboat with wings.

I would paint it up like the Seaduck from Tailspin.

And yeah, 13-year-old me was an idiot. In my defense the internet was still young and I had no way of knowing how much a cargo plane costs.

Yeah but at that age "a million dollars" is just shorthand for "lots of money"

I doubt, even when they asked you that question, that they expected you to do the research and come up with something you could actually manage with a mil

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Fly
    Shot beems
    Has ab

just one tho

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    ooh I want a segway

with a podium bolted to it with some intricate and completely nonsensical seal and latin motto

then I'd wear a suit while I rode around doing errands and stuff and just stare at people

Oh man that is something I would pay money to see (not 1 million dollars)

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Being a famous writer.

• Options
    ooh I want a segway

this

is a completely attainable dream

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Own/be a creative director for a small theatre that makes enough money to support me as a full time job.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I want 999-2 to be even better than 999

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    look segways are expensive

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    all im saying is

you are separated from your ultimate dream by like

$5000

get a loan or something

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Reasonable: Wanna get paid for reviews, few things engage me like writing critical analysis.

Crazy: Have a fancy spaceship, emphasis on fancy.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I want to learn how to play guitar, relearn how to play the clarinet, I want to learn how to use software to make phat beatz on the computer, I want to continue to learn Anglo Saxon and I want to start learning Spanish, Japanese, French, Dutch, German, Russian, Portuguese, and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), I want to have a badass telescope and look at the stars up close, I want to learn how to write properly and write a book, I want to learn how to paint and draw, I want to go to school and learn about physics and linguistics just for fun, I want to brew my own beer and grow my own tobacco and carve my own pipes, I want to learn how to be a carpenter or at least kind of handy with a saw and shit, I want to learn to cook and work on cars and knit and crochet and sing and I want to travel with my wife to Venice and England and Ireland and Japan and France and Russia and Brazil.

I pretty much want to learn about everything and how to do everything but I am fucking lazy and it requires effort.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    i would like to personally thank gwenyth paltrow for literally being an episode of the boondocks in-between seasons of the actual boondocks

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I want to be a writer.

But this is better.

I have an ongoing daydream.

It goes thusly:

I have a talk show. For all practical purposes, everyone watches this show. It's not special in its format--just an evening interview show, like Larry King. However. There are two key differences to my show: First, when I ask someone to come onto my show, they are obligated to do so (legally or otherwise). Second, when they are on my show, I have some means of compelling them to tell the truth (chemical, psychic powers, whatever, I don't care).

I keep a list of people in my head, people whose appearance I would demand. Here it is: Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi, Larry Summers, Tim Geithner, Hank Paulsen, the Koch brothers, Ben Bernanke, Milton Friedman, Jeff Bezos, Rupert Murdoch, Roger Ailes, Grover Norquist, Jon Corzine, Jamie Dimon, Lloyd Blankfein, Condoleezza Rice, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Henry Kissinger, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Fernando Aguirre. There are others. So many others.

The questions I ask would be tailored to each guest, obviously. With one exception. The first question I ask of every guest, and the name of the show, is "Why are you such an asshole?"

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    When I was in high school I had this idea that I could be, certainly not an expert, but decently competent and knowledgeable in a lot of areas - various physical sciences, history, the arts, basically be your classic Renaissance man

I thought I could pull this off to some extent because in high school I basically ruled all of my subjects

And then I got to college and figured out, say, that I'm not very good at math above a certain level, and that the university system basically encourages specialization in one or two areas rather than a rounded education, and things like that, so I basically quit bothering to try in any field that wasn't my major

And now that I bullshitted my way to a degree and I'm not working in that field, I feel like I'm no longer competent in any of the areas I used to know well

My New Year's Resolution was to pick up some reading on various topics and try to get back in the saddle which I have not done in any way, and sometimes I entertain the idea of just traveling the world and learning things, but I know it's all bullshit

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    When I was in high school I had this idea that I could be, certainly not an expert, but decently competent and knowledgeable in a lot of areas - various physical sciences, history, the arts, basically be your classic Renaissance man

I thought I could pull this off to some extent because in high school I basically ruled all of my subjects

And then I got to college and figured out, say, that I'm not very good at math above a certain level, and that the university system basically encourages specialization in one or two areas rather than a rounded education, and things like that, so I basically quit bothering to try in any field that wasn't my major

And now that I bullshitted my way to a degree and I'm not working in that field, I feel like I'm no longer competent in any of the areas I used to know well

My New Year's Resolution was to pick up some reading on various topics and try to get back in the saddle which I have not done in any way, and sometimes I entertain the idea of just traveling the world and learning things, but I know it's all bullshit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUQsKUglv0g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FomroPMOKvg

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Find a way to make a living as a professional Dom

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Pass my anesthesia boards this week.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Pass my anesthesia boards this week.

Oh, so you got the goods, huh? :winky:

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I wish I could be a stranger in a strange land who is gifted with superior abilities due to the journey that led me there in the first place ala Tron, John Carter, El-Hazard, etc.

b1ehrMM.gif