As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

breaking up

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Social Entropy++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_f_mMJAezM

this is a thread to talk about breaking up, whether it be the good or the bad, or anything inbetween

i was dumped just over a month ago, punched some nice holes in a wall, and then cried out the rest of the frustration for several nights after that. having finally calmed down, thought about it rationally, it still fucking blows.

but this isn't a pity party. let's look at the bright side: i now can hit on all the ladies

downside: moving out, dividing 3 years worth of stuff, who gets the cat, all the other fun stuff ex's end up figuring out in the post-break up fallout

oh well anyways post your break up stories, songs, sonnets and soliloquies

Local H Jay on

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i broke up with my last girlfriend via text message because i'm a huge jerk

• Options
    i broke up with my last girlfriend via text message because i'm a huge jerk

in high school i dumped a girl over the phone

it is a shitty thing to do

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    the best part of breaking up is Folger's in your cup

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I haven't really had a super-serious relationship (as in, we live together and stuff) end... I'm in my first one of these. But I can imagine being absolutely devastated if it WERE to happen, particularly since it likely means I'd have to leave the country on top of, you know, breaking up.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Punching a wall is a pretty dumb thing to do.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    the worst part about breaking up is when the sex is really good and the animal part of your brain tells you to ignore the bad parts so you can keep getting laid

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I got dumped via Skype once

I went and got a milkshake with some friends about half an hour afterwards

I don't think I even cried or felt sad about it, which probably means the break-up was a good idea

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    When I break up I'm just going to disappear into the wilderness for a few years

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The last girl I dated I tried to break up with 3 times. She just wouldn't listen to me. Finally I did it over the phone with her because when I would try to do it in person shed either try to ignore me or make a scene and embarrass me.

• Options
    one time I dumped my long-distance boyfriend over the phone

that sucked, but within ten minutes I knew I'd done the right thing, so hey there's that

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Punching a wall is a pretty dumb thing to do.

nah

cept maybe when you scratch your hand

still nah, best thing ever

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    breaking up is hard to do

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    i love you, man

i6gmcz.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Doing acts of violence when you are emotional is the quickest way to make me lose respect for you.

• Options
    punching stuff feels good

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    all my relationships have just sort of dried up with no definitive end point. we just stopped seeing each other for one reason or another. it's always pretty shitty, I'd rather have the break up.

• Options
    Doing acts of violence when you are emotional is the quickest way to make me lose respect for you.

good thing i don't need or care for your respect then?

i never said it was rational or smart, it's what happened kay

• Options
    what if you punch something that was designed to be punched, like a punching bag?

• Options

that's fair, good thing I've only acted violently on like 2 occasions in my life, one of which was in my defense

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If I broke up with Janson it would be pretty shitty

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Best part of breaking up is eating an entire tub of ice cream.

broken image link
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    what if you punch something that was designed to be punched, like a punching bag?

punching bags are like

one of the best inventions ever

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    punching a wall is pretty dumb

unless the wall was talking some racist shit, then it's okay

sig.png
  • Options

It's called self control princess.

Two year olds have temper tantrums, adults should not.

• Options
    what about punching each other during sex? that's still cool right?

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular

And who asked for your respect, random internet guy?

• Options

i'll get some self control when you work on not being a prick buddy

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

punching bags are like

one of the best inventions ever

Before the invention of the punching bag they used low paid workers.

Many saw the punching bag a great leap in technology that protected people from a horrible job. But the punching men were out of a job and for many of them it was all they knew..

• Options
    edited June 2012

to be fair it's generally not the violence that people want

it's the physical release of strong, intense emotion, and sometimes that involves punching something, because you want tactile response, such as the pain in your own hand

it's actually quite cathartic

that doesn't make it OKAY, but it's not about the violence in most cases - it's about the physical outlet and the sensation of physical pain to ease the emotional distress

at least he punched the wall and not someone else!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I've never actually lived with a girlfriend

So all my breakups have been pretty easy

Except the emotional shit, you know

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Best part of breaking up is eating an entire tub of ice cream.

What if I want to eat an entire tub of ice cream without breaking up with someone?

What will I do then fuzzbutt?

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    break my rock hard erection in two

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »

And who asked for your respect, random internet guy?

Blake isn't really random. You however...

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    I've been broken up with once and I've broken up with someone once

each one was its own unique flavor of Bad Times, but on the whole, being broken up with was worse

I would not recommend it

sig.png
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular

You know what else adults shouldn't do? Judge people on the internet who never asked to be judged. Go to H&A if that's your thing.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The woman I loved back in the day broke up with me over the phone.

I have since become a hermit, and amish, and sworn off all electronics and telephones.

(I send all my posts by carrier pigeon to my electronics-using servant who puts them on the internet)

godmode on
  • Options
    i'm breaking up with this webforum. it's over, good-bye

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »

to be fair it's generally not the violence that people want

it's the physical release of strong, intense emotion, and sometimes that involves punching something, because you want tactile response, such as the pain in your own hand

it's actually quite cathartic

that doesn't make it OKAY, but it's not about the violence in most cases - it's about the physical outlet and the sensation of physical pain to ease the emotional distress

at least he punched the wall and not someone else!

exactly

cathartic is the best possible word for it

and punching a wall is definitely stupid, but a punching bag?

tumblr_m4prm2NDQ21r8yrwco1_250.gif

nah that be some pro levels or relief