As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GDC: Miyamoto keynote: New SMG footage

• Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm so glad I don't have a wife-o-meter at home. That would probably be the end of me.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It makes a twisted kind of sense that Nintendo's corporate strategies are dictated by Shigeru Miyamoto's wife.

Edit: Also his dog, apparently.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is bowing occuring??????

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Eurogamer wrote:
    Miyamoto is a dog lover. Wonder what he's going to talk about next...
    NINTENDOGS WII TO BE ANNOUNCED?
    NINTENDO WINS CONSOLE WAR?
    CAPS LOCK off

bruin on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Szechuan wrote: »
    It makes a twisted kind of sense that Nintendo's corporate strategies are dictated by Shigeru Miyamoto's wife.
    EG wrote:
    14:11.00 - "You may remember Pac-Man and Mario coming out. These were important moments in your life. They were not important for my wife."

14:12.37 - He thought his wife would like Tetris, but she didn't. But then she watched their daughter playing Ocarina - "So then I thought, maybe there is hope." Then came Animal Crossing - "When it came out I assured my wife there were no enemies to fight, so she agreed to actually touch the controller."
    This guy is hilarious.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmmm... I wonder if this is heading anywhere...

"So now I announce... NINTENDWIFE!"

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Eurogamer wrote:
    "It would be more normal to find Donkey Kong eating at my dining table" rather than see his wife download something game-related before.

Hahaha

bruin on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GENIUS. the one thing the majority of gamers lack!

Guek on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    that eurogamer automatic update shit is just awesomesauce.
    Yeah, the Eurogamer updating is nice. Beats hammering F5

This whole time I have been clicking the fucking reload button. I fail so hard.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Miyamoto's Mii!

miya_wii.jpg

bruin on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    jesus, this is boring

it is both interesting and boring at the same time

I mean, shit, it's like watching a potus speech

we know the state of our union is fantastic, man, just let us know if we're gonna be dropping some bombs on some bitches anytime soon

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It looks like it's standing over a child's bed, preparing to feast.

Edit: Does anybody know what they mean by diversification? I thought that went hand in hand with broadening their user base.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "The second element of Nintendo's vision is their devotion to the entertainment business. They don't worry about diversification, so "every employee focuses solely on entertainment.""OMG NINTENDO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ART!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    "The second element of Nintendo's vision is their devotion to the entertainment business. They don't worry about diversification, so "every employee focuses solely on entertainment.""OMG NINTENDO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ART!

"Shigeru Miyamoto does not care about black people."

*sheepish* It had to be done...

Szechuan on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It looks like it's standing over a child's bed, preparing to feast.

Edit: Does anybody know what they mean by diversification? I thought that went hand in hand with broadening their user base.

I think it means they dont worry about trying to make the DS an mp3 player, portable dvd player, cell phone and a video game system all at the same time etc....

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Diversification" is obviously referring to alternate functions of the console like playing movies or MP3s...

Zek on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone else find it in some ways disconcerting that the father of platform games, (The most popular form of video games, hands down.) has essentially dedicated himself to non-gaming? I mean, we still see his influence on the new iterations of games he himself created, but are we to assume that there will be no new Link or Mario in the future? From here on, its all non-games from Miyamoto?

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone else find it in some ways disconcerting that the father of platform games, (The most popular form of video games, hands down.) has essentially dedicated himself to non-gaming? I mean, we still see his influence on the new iterations of games he himself created, but are we to assume that there will be no new Link or Mario in the future? From here on, its all non-games from Miyamoto?

Miyamoto has never been that much of a gamer.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

super mario galaxy.

it will own you.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    In response to Zek/Quov: Cool. Thanks. I'm not up on the industrial/technical/gaming jibba-jabba.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I feel this is building to something huge.

We all know they cant really announce new stuff, but what if they bended this a little with like playable Brawl demo on the Wii in like a day.

Ohmigosh

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've got something you probably didn't catch, Brian!

Phil Harrison is sitting in the front row

Reggie is standing off consulting with people, posing for pictures, etc.

A kid in the front row shouted at Reggie "REGGIE! You gotta kick some ass and take some names!"

"Like who?!" Reggie shouted back

"Phil Harrison, FRONT ROW!" The kid says

"I think we already did that" Says Reggie

The nearby crowd laughs, as is appropriate.

That's cold man. Ice cold.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think the Wii would be this sexy if the round controller with a star in the middle because the official one.

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Super Mario Galaxy? Zelda Wii?

bruin on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

What the hell are you talking about?

Zek on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Edit: Also his dog, apparently.

Its fucking brilliant. Why? well you know all those girls who are non-gamers! HE JUST MADE THE FEMALE VIDEOGAME CONVERSION MACHINE! (yes, it deserves caps)

he deserves the nobel prize in gaming.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Hardly new. Back when he went to france to get that knight medal thing, he got asked if games were art, and his answer was negative. To him, beyond the obvious entertainment aspect, they're possibly a culture.

chevluh on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I need pictures of these.
    Miyamoto is showing the different prototypes Nintendo had for the Wii remote. He’s talking about how the teams would make different test games to try with each controller. Any idea was allowed to be suggested from the team.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

A kid in the front row shouted at Reggie "REGGIE! You gotta kick some ass and take some names!"

pure awesome.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    galenblade wrote: »
    Miyamoto is showing the different prototypes Nintendo had for the Wii remote. He’s talking about how the teams would make different test games to try with each controller. Any idea was allowed to be suggested from the team.

wii_prototypes.jpg

bruin on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zek wrote: »

What the hell are you talking about?

It has pretty much been sequels of his best work and non-games like Nintendogs on Miyamoto's agenda. The man has a god-given talent for gaming, but lately he seems to push more into the non-games. Stuff his wife would play. He went from the hardcore to the "non" game.

It seems like every time Miyamoto gives a speech its the same "new audiences" stuff.

I'm part of the old audience, is all. :(

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    galenblade wrote: »

wii_controller_prototypes.jpg

NINTENDO IS NOT KIDDY

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »

pure awesome.

All jokes aside, Reggie is just pure awesome.

Pure fucking AWESOME

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »

We all know they cant really announce new stuff, but what if they bended this a little with like playable Brawl demo on the Wii in like a day.

Ohmigosh

I hope you like disappointment!

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I feel Carnivore will be disappointed.

This keynote will likely be mostly anecdotes and theory (admittedly cool stuff) rather than big announcements.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Man, that star one would hurt like a bitch if you threw it at someone.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    hmmm..it seems like this is just going to be one of those "fireside chats with shigeru"

which is perfectly fine. it'd be horrible if there was a bunch of hype leading up this conference but thats not the case so...

Guek on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Whoa, have those shots been out for a while? I've never seen them.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    EG wrote:
    14:30.02 - He's still banging on about the museum. It does look very nice, mind you.

14:28.59 - Hmm... Is he going to announce anything new at all?

14:28.47 - Miyamoto helped design the museum - it's got LCD screens on the floor. As you walk around, you get a modified DS which keeps track of your location in the museum. You can press buttons to change the images on the screens at your feet.

14:27.42 - A photo of a museum in Kyoto now. Can't possibly spell the name. It's a museum for a game that blends playing cards and ancient Japanese poetry. Again, can't spell it. Nintendo is one of the companies that makes the cards.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I feel Carnivore will be disappointed.

This keynote will likely be mostly anecdotes and theory (admittedly cool stuff) rather than big announcements.

This is probably true.

I mean there's nothing wrong with that. Just a 'business as usual' type thing.

Still, I love me the big events and crave huge announcements.

That said, Nintendo usually have something up their sleeve. Id love for even a small announcement so I can blow it way out of proportion as the second coming.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg