As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time n' such. (NSFpeoplewhohatethinking)

ThaoxThaox Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Social Entropy++
A friend of mine is really intrigued with theoretical physics. Don't ask me why. But he was talking about something really interesting yesterday dealing with time. I think he called it "Observational time theory" or something along those lines. I've only taken 3 physics courses so it was hard for me to follow. This is what I got.

Some people might not know this but time is relative to the speed you're going. This was supported by an experiment done with 2 atomic clocks. One stayed stationary the other was flown around the world as fast as it could be and when they were compared the flying clock was slower. Time had slowed for the clock that was moving. This concept is called time dilation and is part of Einstein's special relativity concept.

Heres where my concept and your part comes in. If the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time gets then once you reach the speed of light (which I believe is theoretically impossible because it would take an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light) Time should stop. Now, this leads me to conclude that the only reason we percieve time as we do is because our planet is moving. What if a person were to get to a point in space where he was completley stopped and was not moving at all? Does the concept work both ways? Would this be like the triple point of time where everything was existing at once past future and present?

Science nerds pick this apart. I'm no physicist and don't have a deep understanding of special relativity. Everyone else, post pictures of kittens.

Thaox on

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno I failed Cosmology, damn

FAQ on
  • Options
    JinnJinn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1143439398189.jpg

Jinn on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Haven't you ever noticed how fast flying insects are and how short their apparent lifespans are? And tortoises get how old?

It's science.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just go 88 mph. Duh.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    2nd Law dictates time's arrow.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You need 1.21 Gigawatt's to attain the speed of light and activate the flux capacitor.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I do know however that there is no triple point in time, time moves forward.

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    do a barrel roll?

Jinn on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    FAQ wrote: »

So time can be slowed but not stopped? If I'm reading correctly then time is relative to your reference point, and if your reference point isn't moving in any direction then how can time exist?

Thaox on
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No. If you were completely stationary at a single point in space (which is impossible, because ALL matter exerts gravitational pull, no matter how far away it is, even if those gravitational forces were so miniscule you couldn't detect it, they're still there), time would pass completely normally for you. You are not moving. You would still see light and material objects, all of them on slightly (or not so slightly) different time dilation factors.

Let me touch that up a bit.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm sorry, I'm not into pokemon.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007

i move back

we come together 'cause opposites attract

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jinn wrote: »
    1143439398189.jpg

jinndoghigh.jpg

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thaox wrote: »

So time can be slowed but not stopped? If I'm reading correctly then time is relative to your reference point, and if your reference point isn't moving in any direction then how can time exist?

i can't pretend to know a hell of allot about this stuff. But if you think time can't exist with no movement why would you think ALL time would exist in this situation

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »

i move back

we come together 'cause opposites attract

says you

edit: that may be a colloquial phrase

FAQ on
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also, here's another mind-boggler.

Imagine you're at a point in space with a gigantic pocket watch that someone roughly 300,000 km away can read, and the other person has an identical one, and the two clocks are perfectly in sync with each other.

If you were to look at the other person's watch, it will read one second slower than your watch because of the time it takes for the light to travel from them to you (one second, at 3.0x10^8 m/s). Similarly, the other person looking at your watch will notice your clock is slower than his by one second. Therefore, you're both one second behind each other.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Electrons are whizzing all about your nucleuses, so that's keeping you with your own source of time, for all matter.

(Timefields timeless space sluggy freelance lol)

But if you get to absolute zero, that's another story.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ... SOMEONE CALL STEPHEN HAWKING IMMEDIATELY!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What if, like, we're all in the Matrix, man, but that Matrix isn't even the real Matrix, and like it's all inside another Matrix.

Whoaaaa

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

i can't pretend to know a hell of allot about this stuff. But if you think can't exist with no movement why would you think ALL time would exist in this situation

Well what I was thinking was that at one end of the spectrum, moving at the ultimate speed (light) then time is stopped or should be, it's an exponential curve I know. So my logic was that at the other end of the spectrum the slower you move the faster time goes. So Time stops at speed of light then what happens to time when you're speed = 0?

Thaox on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A friend of mine is really intrigued with theoretical physics. Don't ask me why. But he was talking about something really interesting yesterday dealing with time. I think he called it "Observational time theory" or something along those lines. I've only taken 3 physics courses so it was hard for me to follow. This is what I got.

Some people might not know this but time is relative to the speed you're going. This was supported by an experiment done with 2 atomic clocks. One stayed stationary the other was flown around the world as fast as it could be and when they were compared the flying clock was slower. Time had slowed for the clock that was moving. This concept is called time dilation and is part of Einstein's special relativity concept.

Heres where my concept and your part comes in. If the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time gets then once you reach the speed of light (which I believe is theoretically impossible because it would take an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light) Time should stop. Now, this leads me to conclude that the only reason we percieve time as we do is because our planet is moving. What if a person were to get to a point in space where he was completley stopped and was not moving at all? Does the concept work both ways? Would this be like the triple point of time where everything was existing at once past future and present?

Science nerds pick this apart. I'm no physicist and don't have a deep understanding of special relativity. Everyone else, post pictures of kittens.

Since movement is relative, e.g. physics can't tell the difference between a planet moving through space versus everything in the universe moving around the planet, there is no way to stop moving, because there is no absolute motion.

That's why relativity is weird, it's all frames of reference.

Course I could be wrong, but that's my understanding. I read a book about it a while ago.

Strato on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think it's possible NOT to be moving. Technically, on a molecular level, everything is moving, all the time.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The key is to harness the Speed Force.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    More likely, all "particles" (read, planets/stars) in our system are actually part of what is pretty much one particle (atom?) of something infinitly larger.

I can't spell anything.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    0K is impossible to achieve.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nucsh wrote: »
    Jinn wrote: »
    1143439398189.jpg

jinndoghigh.jpg
    he said maek cat poast

Jinn on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dislexic wrote: »

Imagine you're at a point in space with a gigantic pocket watch that someone roughly 300,000 km away can read, and the other person has an identical one, and the two clocks are perfectly in sync with each other.

If you were to look at the other person's watch, it will read one second slower than your watch because of the time it takes for the light to travel from them to you (one second, at 3.0x10^8 m/s). Similarly, the other person looking at your watch will notice your clock is slower than his by one second. Therefore, you're both one second behind each other.

Things get really horrible when you want to describe how two events can occur simultaneously, since if I do something and see you do it a second later how do we know it occured at the same time? and what if some one is watching both of us from even further away he might see me carry out the action like thirty seconds before you.

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Things get really horrible when you want to describe how two events can occur simultaneously, since if I do something and see you do it a second later how do we know it occured at the same time? and what if some one is watching both of us from even further away he might see me carry out the action like thirty seconds before you.

Of course, just because it appears to have not happened at the same time, does not mean it hasn't.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't think it's possible NOT to be moving. Technically, on a molecular level, everything is moving, all the time.

Right but you have 0 net movement. Someone made the point about absolute motion earlier.

It was a good point.

Thaox on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Of course, just because it appears to have not happened at the same time, does not mean it hasn't.

Time is relative too, dammit. There is no absolute time.

Luckily for day-to-day non-close-the-speed-of-light things you can pretend there is.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    no it doesn't put it's impossible to ever know. There's stuff i'm forgetting also. Stuff that would blow your mind

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Okay, here's an extremely generic question: where does all the matter sucked up by a black hole go? Science tells us that matter can nether be created, nor destroyed, so what the fuck happens to the stuff sucked into a black hole?

Bizaro world, that's what.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Strato wrote: »

Time is relative too, dammit. There is no absolute time.

Time is merely the perception of an incident occuring in a specific direction.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    otterhurrrr8bkcf3.jpg

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Right but you have 0 net movement. Someone made the point about absolute motion earlier.

It was a good point.

Still not possible. If there is other matter in the universe, there will be no 0 net movement. matter attracts matter, no matter how far away it is.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Okay, here's an extremely generic question: where does all the matter sucked up by a black hole go? Science tells us that matter can nether be created, nor destroyed, so what the fuck happens to the stuff sucked into a black hole?

Pan18.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I think it gets emitted as Hawking radiation or some shit.

Also, like 97% of the universe is made up of dark energy and dark matter, and we don't have a fucking clue what that is.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

It could be converted into energy. Matter and energy are the same thing. It's a nuclear concept I think?

I wish physics was less about math and more about trippy time discussions.

Thaox on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man I just saw Dave Chapelle on Home Improvement

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you fall, I will catch you
    I'll be waiting
    Time after Time

That song makes me tear up every time I hear it.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!