As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HTML Forms!

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm hoping there is a tool I can use to make a simple form. I tried out Jotform, but I don't like how it basically stores the stuff for you and just calls on it. Is there something out there that will just give me the HTML to paste into a site? I'm assuming there is a .php file involved as well?

The form will be a contact form. Just name, E-mail, and the message. The catch is that there is a drop down menu with different recipients.

For example, do you want General Inquiries? Group Sales? Marketing? Etc. The choice will dictate to which E-mail the form results are sent.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    An HTML form can't send an email by itself, you need something server-side to do that (like php). The HTML is the easy part!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    An HTML form can't send an email by itself, you need something server-side to do that (like php). The HTML is the easy part!

So is there a program that will create this? Can I just grab the trial for Dreamweaver and do it?

• Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    Some of our clients at work use http://wufoo.com to generate forms and then track the submissions.

Are you looking just to create the forms or do you need the whole functionality behind them as well?

"It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Wufoo is good stuff

find an excuse to use it

• Options
    Sebbie wrote: »
    Some of our clients at work use http://wufoo.com to generate forms and then track the submissions.

Are you looking just to create the forms or do you need the whole functionality behind them as well?

I need to have them work, if that's what you mean. Basically we have a consulting company that does a lot of this stuff but if I can just do it myself it will save money. The form we have from them for something else is extremely ugly, so if we can pay $500/year to have our own forms and have them look/act much better, and not have to pay by the hour any time we need one made/adjusted, all the better.

At a glance, Wufoo looks pricier than Jotform, for the same thing.

And neither seem to be able to do what I'm thinking: a drop down box that will determine what email the form goes to. I guess I could set up a dummy email where they all go, which forwards it based on the dropdown selection. Is that generally how those are done?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    And neither seem to be able to do what I'm thinking: a drop down box that will determine what email the form goes to. I guess I could set up a dummy email where they all go, which forwards it based on the dropdown selection. Is that generally how those are done?

Eh, it's one way to do it, but it's pretty trivial to actually send an email to a particular address based on a drop down value. And unless you're going to be changing this form on a regular basis, $500/year is a ridiculous price to pay. You'd be better off finding someone local to do it. An email form is really something that shouldn't take much time at all if the mail server is set up properly. Hell, one of us in the programming thread in Moe's could do it fairly easily/cheaply for you. Feel free to ask there, too.

• Options
    I mean, without that functionality, is it even simpler? Again, would Dreamweaver do this for me? Give me the php file to throw on the site?

Right now the contact page is a list of like 20 people to choose from, so 80% of the people just send it to the first one listed. I just want it to be a better looking page in general, easier to understand, and hopefully guide visitors a bit better.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Nah you'd have to do that dropdown by hand. Assuming your server is set up correctly it's really trivial to add form functionality to email, especially on a dropdown like that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    And by trivial, we mean 5-10 lines of back end code to get the email targeted to the right address and sent on its way.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Whatever you end up implementing make sure it protects against Send Mail Abuse of Functionality, XSS, and if it's hitting a database, (SQL) Injection.

• Options
    Whatever you end up implementing make sure it protects against Send Mail Abuse of Functionality, XSS, and if it's hitting a database, (SQL) Injection.

It's going to be a form for contact only. No sensitive information is really collected, aside from the sender's E-mail. Would using a captcha be a good idea anyway?