As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: where 2D becomes 3D on its way to 4D

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    yessss!

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Also, this: Kevin Feige Confirms Early Doctor Strange Plans
    "'Doctor Strange,' which I've been talking about for years, is definitely one of them," Feige continues. "He's a great, original character, and he checks the box off this criteria that I have: he's totally different from anything else we have, just like 'Guardians of the Galaxy.' He's totally different from anything we've done before, as is 'Ant-Man,' which keeps us excited."

Granted, it's still "consideration" but it's better than nothing — which seems to be the case with T'Challa and any female heroes.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cobie...

8->

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Green Lantern the Animated Series - best show.

Best show in town.

I'm seriously surprised at how great this show is - I was on the fence when it was first previewed, but I've come to anticipate the episodes more than Young Justice. It's done a great job of taking the more recent elements from the comics and creating a simplified and cohesive universe out of them, and the original characters created for the show are probably my favorite ones.
    Unfortunately, one of them just died. Heart-wrenching.

I'd definitely like to see more seasons of it, though I'm afraid the big gaps in the middle of the first season are going to hurt its future.

H9f4bVe.png
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Best show in town.

I'm seriously surprised at how great this show is - I was on the fence when it was first previewed, but I've come to anticipate the episodes more than Young Justice. It's done a great job of taking the more recent elements from the comics and creating a simplified and cohesive universe out of them, and the original characters created for the show are probably my favorite ones.

I'd definitely like to see more seasons of it, though I'm afraid the big gaps in the middle of the first season are going to hurt its future.

Young Justice is the best. :mrgreen:

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I completely forgot Ellen Page was Kitty. Guess it works out well then for the franchise that Days of Future Past has Kitty as major character.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I just realized we've had 4 X-men movies, and a Wolverine movie, and we haven't seen a Sentinel yet! I hope Days has some heh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    We saw a sentinel head in X-Men 3.

We did?

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    We did?

Danger Room scene.

Oh ya! ( Shows how little I re-watch 3 in comparison to the others heh)
    Also, Virtual Sentinel head, does it count? heh

edited January 2013
    The thing with sentinels, IMO, is that they're just a little too outlandish. I know that sounds weird in a movie where a guy has such a control of Magnetism he's basically telekinetic; and other characters can phase through walls or teleport or whatever. But I'm looking at the bigger picture. The level of technology and enconomic backing it would take to build even ONE sentinal is staggering. But okay, it's a comic book movie, I can believe it's possible.

What I can't believe is that, say, the United States has the technology and financial capability to build giant robots.. and they don't use this technology anywhere else but hunting mutants? Just one of those bad boys could be incredible for searching through rubble after an earthquake; or how about sending a smaller one of those guys to Mars as a more mobile probe? I mean, looking elsewhere

-Iron Man is a dick and won't share his technological breakthrough
    -The Hulk was an accident that's difficult to reproduce
    -The Fantastic Four are too busy saving the world and exploring to really revolutionize modern tech
    -Wakanda has unobtainium

But the sentinals? That's just straight up mass produced tech made for the Government. And the only thing they can think of using them for is hunting down mutants? A job at which they kind of SUCK at?

No wonder we're in an economic downturn.

Undead Scottsman on
    I think Sentinels could work really well and be much less outlandish if they just made them, say, seven feet tall instead of fifty.

I figure they're also in use by the military. There's been depictions of mega tech used by terrorists and foreign militaries. So the u.s. also has to deal with that.

But the sentinals? That's just straight up mass produced tech made for the Government. And the only thing they can think of using them for is hunting down mutants? A job at which they kind of SUCK at?

The fact that they usually suck so hard, is mainly the reason I think I love them, they are just perfectly awful at anything they do

I just tweeted at Bryan Singer to make Sunspot Indian and cast Aziz Ansari. I'm sorry.

I'm not sorry.

uqPSo1Q.png

Oh my goodness.

edited January 2013
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I completely forgot Ellen Page was Kitty. Guess it works out well then for the franchise that Days of Future Past has Kitty as major character.

Don't be so sure. If it follows the pattern of the other movies it'll be Wolverine or Rogue being the main character. Another possibility is First Class Magneto or Xavier.
    The thing with sentinels, IMO, is that they're just a little too outlandish. I know that sounds weird in a movie where a guy has such a control of Magnetism he's basically telekinetic; and other characters can phase through walls or teleport or whatever. But I'm looking at the bigger picture. The level of technology and enconomic backing it would take to build even ONE sentinal is staggering. But okay, it's a comic book movie, I can believe it's possible.

What I can't believe is that, say, the United States has the technology and financial capability to build giant robots.. and they don't use this technology anywhere else but hunting mutants? Just one of those bad boys could be incredible for searching through rubble after an earthquake; or how about sending a smaller one of those guys to Mars as a more mobile probe? I mean, looking elsewhere

-The Fantastic Four are too busy saving the world and exploring to really revolutionize modern tech
    -Wakanda has unobtainium

Nothing that can't be solved by updating the concept. Change them to be more like the Terminators. They already have a foundation to based it on with the Prime Sentinels.

Harry Dresden on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Kitty originally had a bigger part in X3 as 1/3 of a love triangle along with Rogue and Iceman, but apparently it was cut because test audiences mistook Ellen Page for a pre-teen and thought it was super-inappropriate for her to be kissing teenage boys.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    how the hell long ago did that come out... oh damn. feeling my age.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Ellen Page did look pretty childlike compared to the last two Kitty's, though I think she was actually older than the other actresses when they played the part.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Don't be so sure. If it follows the pattern of the other movies it'll be Wolverine or Rogue being the main character. Another possibility is First Class Magneto or Xavier.

-Wakanda has unobtainium

Nothing that can't be solved by updating the concept. Change them to be more like the Terminators. They already have a foundation to based it on with the Prime Sentinels.

The Ultimate universe eventually brought in smaller sentinels around 7-8 feet tall. And the gubbament must have seized all those Hammerdrone bits at the end of Iron Man 2. A little paint and some reprogramming, slap in various others techs to give them the palm blasters, and they've got Sentinels.

H9f4bVe.png

-Wakanda has unobtainium

The Ultimate universe eventually brought in smaller sentinels around 7-8 feet tall. And the gubbament must have seized all those Hammerdrone bits at the end of Iron Man 2. A little paint and some reprogramming, slap in various others techs to give them the palm blasters, and they've got Sentinels.

There's one hole in your theory, Marvel doesn't own the movie rights to the X-men Fox does. However, they can use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Yeah, slipped into 'general thematic explanation mode' there.

H9f4bVe.png
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Best show in town.

Young Justice is the best. :mrgreen:

Oh hey.

CANCELLED!

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/young-justice-green-lantern-canceled.html

Yeah.
    Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series will both end when their current seasons, which were interrupted more than once in their runs, end later this spring. Announced through their exclusion on Cartoon Network's "new and returning shows" press release for fall 2013, the series both suffered from broken-up seasons, including a sudden and unexplained pause in the fall of 2012 after only a few episodes of each. A representative from Warner Brothers Animation confirmed to Newsarama the cancellation.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    instead you get Beware the Batman!!!!

:(

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So, so stupid to cancel Young Justice.

I am seriously at my lowest point with DC to date, and it just bums me out.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Paul Giamatti in talks to play Rhino in ASM2.

Hmm...first Lizard, now Rhino and Electro. It's starting to feel a little Sinister Six-y in here, no?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    w

WHAT

that is some of the weirdest casting I've ever seen

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I can honestly say that I've never thought of Paul Giamatti as resembling the Rhino.

But I can also honestly say that I love me some Paul Giamatti.

I'll allow it. For now.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    "Dumb russian thug" are not the the first words that spring to mind when looking at Giamatti

Guy looks more like the crazy science type

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    "Dumb russian thug" are not the the first words that spring to mind when looking at Giamatti

Guy looks more like the crazy science type

On the other hand, I REALLY want to see Giamatti play a dumb Russian thug.

wait, since when is the Rhino Russian?

According to Wikipedia, since always. (Or, at least he's always been from an eastern bloc country.)

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    wait, since when is the Rhino Russian?
    dude

the rhino's always been russian

his name is Aleksei Mikhailovich Sytsevich

he was a russian immigrant who worked for the mob and got experimented on to become super strong and durable

How have I never seen anything that referenced the Rhino being Russian?

This discussion has been closed.