As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thinking of buying an iPad for my Mom

ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, So my Moms birthday is coming up and I am considering buying her an iPad, so I am looking for some advice.

My mom is not very proficient with computers, and I am hoping that the interface with the iPad will be a lot easier for her then a laptop. Easier boot up, less menus to navigate, tap the screen and the program opens, less likely to run into a virus issue, etc...

She mostly uses the computer for email and some light websurfing, but she has expressed a desire to use an eReader, so that may be a bonus function.

For the purposes of this conversation I would like to focus on the iPad, I may consider a Kindle, Nook, Netbook, Laptop at a later time if this fails to meet my needs.

I have done some research, and the current iPad seems very nice. Does it come with any microsoft office functionality? Her friends send her things like powerpoint stuff and word documents and she would want to be able to open those.

She has wifi in the house already, and would be unlikely to take it out of a wifi area, so i don't think I would need to get her any mobile service. Though is that upgradable in the future? or is that something that need to be in from the get go.

I have never used any apple products, except for my ipod shuffle. So enlighten me! Thanks!

Thundyrkatz on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm a big fan of my iPad and it makes sense for everything you've described, so I think it's a good idea. :)

She'll be able to open Powerpoints and Word files with GoodReader, though she won't be able to edit them.

You'll need to buy one with 3G functionality if you ever want that to be an option. You won't need to pay for a contract to do so.

• Options
    Thanks admanb!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'll second adamb's advice. The iPad is exceptional for the things you've described. In fact, what you've described is literally what the iPad was designed for. Email, light web surfing, etc.

It also makes an amazing Netflix/internet stream device, so if you're mom is in to Netflix, that's another bonus.

The primary use of my iPad is as a video playback device that I can carry around the house with me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you get a wi-fi model and she later needs more portability you can always buy her a dongle to carry around when she needs it.

As far as office presentations I imagine she could do a lot of stuff with google docs. I've also found the ipad to be fine for reading ebooks but I can't compare it to the kindle as I've never used one

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    If you get a wi-fi model and she later needs more portability you can always buy her a dongle to carry around when she needs it.

As far as office presentations I imagine she could do a lot of stuff with google docs. I've also found the ipad to be fine for reading ebooks but I can't compare it to the kindle as I've never used one

Theres a 3G dongle for iPad? I've never heard of it. (Doesn't mean it doesn't exist mind you, but I'd verify before buying a wifi only version)

My grandmother can't use a computer at all, she's so afraid of them she doesn't even like having one in front of her just to read off the screen. HOWEVER, the interface on the iPad is so easy that after I'd set it up to have her e-mail come to 'Mail' she was able to use e-mail on it pretty easily. Now to work on training her on Safari.

tl;dr: iPad is easy to use. Do it.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think this is a solid choice, and will do just what we hope.