As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I read with my ears. Help me to listen!

RendRend Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I have some credits on audible from their 48 hour sale recently. Currently I am listening to game of thrones, but once I finish with everything that series currently has to offer, I need somewhere else to go. I've listened to game of thrones, which I really enjoy, and Solaris, which was fantastic.

I think I enjoy unabridged, but if someone wants to educate me on different types, be my guest.

I want more books. Steer me toward some awesome ones, preferably one credit, and preferably longer than shorter, but that's by no means a requirement.

I've wishlisted Dune, right now, because, well, it's Dune, and I've never read it. I assume few people will combat me on that decision, but where do I go from here?

FYI: I am very poorly read. Aside from a few series of fantasy novels, and a few classics from school, I have read next to nothing. So fire away.

Rend on

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I don't know how to know how to see if these are one credit books or not, but here are books I've enjoyed via audio:

Ready Player One (80s geek fan service)
    War of the Rats (somewhat factual historical fiction around the Stalingrad snipers)
    Hornet Flight (fun WWII spy thriller)
    Jackdaws (same as Hornet Flight, same author, also fun)
    Harry Potter series (fantastic, superhuman voice acting)

• Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    I just finished Redshirst, which my wife and I really enjoyed. Wil Wheaton does a great job with the narration, but it is a fair bit shorter than Dune or Game of Thrones (under 8 hours).

The Mistborn series (starting with The Final Empire) was a good listen as well if you'd prefer fantasy. They are a very different, far less gritty, flavor of fantasy than Game of Thrones though. They're in the 25-30 hours per book range.

• Options
    One genre I'd like to get more deeply into is hard sci-fi. Solaris was great for that. Sci fi horror is a favorite genre of mine, but unfortunately a tiny one. So anything in those genres gets bonus points.

But really I will consider just about anything. I was also going to wishlist catch-22, for much the same reason as Dune: because I've never heard a negative comment about either, etc.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Not to knock sci-fi (Solaris is one of my favorite books too) but there are lots of good books that aren't sci-fi that you should probably start with. This list is pretty good (the board's list, not the stupid reader's list) but you can skip Joyce.

• Options
    Not to knock sci-fi (Solaris is one of my favorite books too) but there are lots of good books that aren't sci-fi that you should probably start with. This list is pretty good (the board's list, not the stupid reader's list) but you can skip Joyce.

Yeah. I don't want to limit recommendations to on genre or another, definitely. I'm in the market for just about anything. That list is something I'll look at pretty closely.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Hyperion Cantos.
    http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B002V5BLIW

There are four books, that's the first one.

I'll second Redshirts, I just read it and it was very clever.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    CJ Cherryh is among the hardest hard sci-fi authors, and I know Cyteen is an audible book.

I'm also fond of Lauren Beukes. She has two books on amazon in the audible format. Moxiland is the harder sci-fi, while Zoo City won a big award but is science fantasy.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Hyperion Cantos.
    http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B002V5BLIW

There are four books, that's the first one.

The Hyperion Cantos is absolutely amazing and definitely deserves at least a second.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Since everyone's piling on the sci-fi, I guess I'll stop pushing actual books and go for the SPACE LAZERS and all that.

By William Gibson: Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Virual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties, Burning Chrome (short story collection), Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, Zero History (the last three aren't sci-fi, sorry, but I can't help myself, Internet forums are too full of people telling each other to read science fiction books that aren't as good as normal books for me to just recommend sci-fi)

By Neal Stephenson: Snow Crash, The Diamond Age

By Robert Heinlein: Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

By George Orwell: 1984

By Aldous Huxley: Brave New World

By M. John Harrison: Light, Nova Swing

By Douglas Adams: All his books, I don't want to type all this shit

By Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse Five, Cat's Cradle

By Iain M. Banks: Read (listen to?) the Culture novels in order, starting with Consider Phlebas

I'll second Lauren Buekes also.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Blade-Itself-First-Book/dp/B003PCYEE8/ref=tmm_aud_title_0

My old man is currently listening to this on his commute and really likes the narrator.

• Options
    Hyperion definitely has my eye now, thanks for the second.

And Tycho you just keep up the recommendations for whatever you think is worth ear-reading. Like I said, genre is a preference, not a rule.
    I've read, from this thread's suggestions, Harry Potter, everything by Douglas Adams, Neuromancer, 1984, and several from Tycho's list of 100 best books, and I've pretty much enjoyed all of them, so these suggestions are hitting home.

• Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series read by Patrick Tull is great. 18th century historical fiction about the naval side of the Napoleonic wars. I have read and listened to most of the series at this point, and I re-listen to them from time to time.

XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    On a side note, if you like listening to stuff, you might like to have a poke through this; http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4extra/programmes/a-z/player?page=1

There's not that much actual SF - Red Dwarf, and also Brian Aldiss reading classic SF, plus his novel Hothouse , and the 7Th Dimension program, but lots of other good stuff and its free.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Do you have a library near you? A lot of places have mp3 rental plans now (as well as CD's), and we could cross reference our suggestions with the catalog.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    For hard-ish sci-fi I'd try to find The Forever War by Joe Halderman. I got a copy from the library once and it was actually the fully revised version (with the little side-story interlude). It's an amazing book.

For hard sci-fi I'll recommend Blindsight by Peter Watts. It's my favourite hard sci-fi book by a country mile and the audio version is really nice.

I actually listen to a lot of audio books while working. My favourite are:

Misucophilia by Oliver Sacks
    A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
    The Song of Ice and Fire books, but you've got those
    All of the Dresden Files books. They're really light and fluffy, but they're fun enough
    American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis--a rare circumstance where I prefer the audio book to the print book.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy is a fantastic, if incredibly long, listen. Get the version narrated by David Horovitch, if you can. His delivery is wonderful.

• Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Ubik and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (aka Bladerunner) by Phillip K. Dick, The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin, and The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham.

Couple of others I could recommend that aren't sci-fi, but it doesn't look like they're available on Audible.

Some classics have already been mentioned, 1984, Catch-22, etc.

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

In the fantasy realm, The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind - Wizard's First Rule is Book 1.

punk on
  • Options
    ZraisZrais Phoenix, AzRegistered User new member
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Harry Potter series (fantastic, superhuman voice acting)

Couldn't agree more. These books are amazing, but even more incredible when read by Jim Dale.