As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[VG Streams] YouTube Gaming now Live! Extra-Life in November!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    France Nationals - Starcraft II World Championship Series 2012 is going on right now at

I went home on Tuesday to spend some time with my family. While I was there I picked up Twilight Princess, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario Galaxy from my collection of Wii games. I also got my hands on the RE6 demo and streamed that yesterday.

Depending on what my friend is doing we might start streaming DKC2 when I get home from work. If he's busy I'll be playing Galaxy or something else out of my backlog.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Just got an email from twitch tv. They're hosting another marathon similar to MarioMarathon, but this one is Zelda gameplay. It's called Zeldathon. Their stream is over at and they're planning on playing Zelda for 5 days straight. They'll play through all the popular games of the franchise in an attempt to raise money towards Child's Play.

Go check it out!

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Just to give a recap, Zeldathon is going on live now until Thursday. They're trying to raise 15k for Child's Play and they're already at around 9k. Silver is playing through Link's Awakening now. They've already completed Four Swords Adventure, Majora's Mask, and Oracle of Ages.

I'm planning on starting Super Mario Galaxy today if anyone wants to watch.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Hello stream thread. I stream through random games (i.e. whatever the hell I feel like) on a fairly frequent basis.

www.twitch.tv/trynant

...yup

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh hey, a reply! I thought I was going to have to fill this second page all by myself. I'll add you to the list my good man.

I started my Super Mario Galaxy playthrough yesterday and got some new viewers who were interested enough to stay for a couple hours. I'll probably play more today but not sure for how long, or I'll play HoN because there's a promotion going on right now.

Zeldathon is still going strong. They're playing Skyward Sword now and I expect them to be on that for a while, unless they take a break to play something else. They promise Ocarina of Time for tonight. Currently they've been playing for about 64 hours straight and they've raised over $11.5k. They've already completed Majora's Mask, Four Swords, Oracle of Ages, Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, Half of Phantom Hour Glass, Half of Wind Waker, and A Link to the Past. Go cheer them on and donate a couple a bucks to Child's Play!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Quick update, Zeldathon is around $14,700+ and they've been playing for ~88 hours. They've now also completed Phantom Hourglass and a good bit of Skyward Sword. They're working on finishing up WindWaker now. Surprisingly, they also played/beat the "Faces of Evil" CDi game, which I wasn't expecting at all. I'd be really surprised if they don't make their $15k goal by Thursday.

Didn't get a chance to play SMG or HoN yesterday, but I don't have any plans tonight so... game on!

• Options
    Zeldathon is in the final stretch of their marathon. They're gonna end around 4pm today. They've shot past their goal yesterday to about $21.6k this morning and beat Wind Waker and Ocarina. Now they're playing Twilight Princess and Zelda 2 - Link's Adventure at the same time. Go say hi and pass them a couple bucks on their final stretch, as all of the money they make goes towards Child's Play!

I streamed some bad HoN games yesterday. New hero is a lot of fun and I'm trying to get the 25 game cheevo package deal thingie. I only have 2 more games before I get it, then I'll be playing Galaxy again. So probably tonight around 5pm EST come check it out and ask any questions if you have hardware/stream issues.

• Options
    I'm bumping the thread just to update my streaming status. I'm away on vacation, meaning I'm away from my desktop, meaning for most of the next month I'm mostly away from a computer that won't drop mad frames when I stream

Although, when I do get back to my regular machine I'm probably going to try streaming Starcraft II...Bronze League for the sole reason that I've picked up the game again and it's motivating to stream games.

• Options
    Trynant wrote: »
    I'm bumping the thread just to update my streaming status. I'm away on vacation, meaning I'm away from my desktop, meaning for most of the next month I'm mostly away from a computer that won't drop mad frames when I stream

Although, when I do get back to my regular machine I'm probably going to try streaming Starcraft II...Bronze League for the sole reason that I've picked up the game again and it's motivating to stream games.

Word, I'll check it out. I haven't found any donation/marathon streams going on so I haven't been updating the thread really. Also, it seemed silly goose of me/against forum rules to just update it based on my stream's status.

I've been streaming HoN pretty regularly after work. (Trynant's made an appearance or two :^: ) Been trying to play games I haven't yet and scratch them off the backlog. I'm only on my internship for another month and then I'll be streaming more and doing marathons and stuff for Child's Play and other charities.

Also made a YouTube channel to post my highlights for those who don't go to Twitch that often.

If anyone has any popular streams they've been watching let me know so I can update the thread title and check them out myself.

• Options
    Just to note about popular streams, strangely enough I don't really bother with them because of, well, stream monsters. Seems to me when a stream gets more than a couple dozen viewers the chat room goes to shit. If I'm watching a stream with a viewer count higher than that I close the chat. Which is really sad, because some of my favorite streaming comes from being able to chat with the broadcaster. So I end up viewing low-key streams a lot more than not.

Does anyone else feel this way?

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Worse case you can just pop out the chat and minimize it. Stream monsters don't bother me that much.

I might get in on this but I was thinking youtube.

Anyone want to see playthroughs on certain adventure games? What about me doing some wizardry with Magic online?

• Options
    Meiz, when asking about interest of videos of playing through games, the answer is always "if you want," followed by "depends on the quality of the video/commentary/play." I would like to see streams/videos of Wizardry/Magic Online if it was done well enough to not bore me. That's the trick with all of these videos thingies though isn't it?

Note that streams are more lenient in this aspect, at least for me, because I can chat with the broadcaster. Keep that in mind.

• Options
    Well shit, Siglemic is doing constant 120 star WR attempts in Super Mario 64 for 12 hours every day in August. If you like Super Mario or have never seen someone speed run live, it's very very entertaining. The chat can get really out of hand though.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well shit, Siglemic is doing constant 120 star WR attempts in Super Mario 64 for 12 hours every day in August. If you like Super Mario or have never seen someone speed run live, it's very very entertaining. The chat can get really out of hand though.

Is it really speed running when you're playing 12 hours a day every day? :)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Is it really speed running when you're playing 12 hours a day every day? :)

I mean he restarts from the beginning and resets his timer when he messes up or finishes his run. :p So......kinda?

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I haven't really watched much of Siglemic's stuff, but what little I had, his chat is horrible. I have no idea if he has any moderators or not, but it seems like not.

Lately I've been watching Cosmo's Castlevania64 speed-run learning, which has been fairly entertaining. I own CV64, though I never beat it, farthest I remember is the hedge maze. I never got Legacy of Darkness, which was supposed to be the definitive version (and what CV64 was supposed to be in first place), but Cosmo is looking into it to see whether he should switch over to that version or not. Still, it's interesting to see a speed runner learning a new game though.

LethalFrag's chat is typically very good, and his 2 year long challenge is just crazy, but he's on every night... I've watched so much Binding of Isaac that I wasn't watching his channel much when he was stuck on that, but lately he has been playing some other stuff. Last weekend he was playing the Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, which was interesting since he had never played it before.

Cthulhu the 3rd is a pretty awesome caster who does a lot of retro games and plays every weeknight. His chat gets rather silly, though I typically just ignore it.

MANvsGAME and King Foom on Destructoid were playing Tokyo Jungle last night while on Skype together last night and that was pretty entertaining. I'm definitely interested in that game coming to NA/EU on PSN, whenever that happens anyway. MAN can read/speak Japanese, so he was helping translate some stuff that Foom was unsure of in the challenges and such, but otherwise it was MAN's first time playing the game... he definitely had a rough time of it, but he did get some new animals unlocked eventually.

Anyhow, I've definitely been watching a lot of twitch casting lately. Interesting diversions.

• Options
    Sig made the world record again on the 5th. 1:46:23 for 120 stars in SM64. He highlighted it in his video archive in two parts.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Shoryuken has a nice link to a 24 hour Persona Arena stream. I can't get to it at the moment because I'm mobile.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Shoryuken has a nice link to a 24 hour Persona Arena stream. I can't get to it at the moment because I'm mobile.

Thanks for the heads up. 24 Hour Persona Arena Charity Stream.

• Options
    Hey guys, Extra-Life is hosting their annual 24 hour stream marathon to raise money for Child's Play. Anyone with a stream can sign up and register a team to raise money. It's kinda like a pseudo competition in that they have a leaderboard with everyone's money raised on their front page.

Go check it out. Here's my team.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    @KoopahTroopah I haven't participated in Extra-Life before. Can you clarify for me: Let's say I form a team of 4 people. Are we supposed to all be playing the same game, playing it together, or just be in the same room streaming different games, or what?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    @KoopahTroopah I haven't participated in Extra-Life before. Can you clarify for me: Let's say I form a team of 4 people. Are we supposed to all be playing the same game, playing it together, or just be in the same room streaming different games, or what?

They're usually really lenient on "rules" as long as you make the 24 hour mark. You can all be playing the same game, or some of you could stream one game while others stream another. Last year we all ended up playing HoN and WC3 for the entire playtime. Some of us streamed playing LA Noire and Gears though. There's really no one right way to do it, it just depends on what you and your team want to do.

• Options
    Amy.LukimaAmy.Lukima Registered User regular

They're usually really lenient on "rules" as long as you make the 24 hour mark. You can all be playing the same game, or some of you could stream one game while others stream another. Last year we all ended up playing HoN and WC3 for the entire playtime. Some of us streamed playing LA Noire and Gears though. There's really no one right way to do it, it just depends on what you and your team want to do.

I came here looking for answers because I am confused. So my team is supposed to stream for 24 hours, not just me?

<a href="http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=35369">I'm participating in Extra Life. Please consider donating to help kids in need. </a>
  • Options
    I think you guys are reading too much into it. It's a 24 hour marathon, as long as the stream that is getting donations goes for 24 hours, I don't think it matters whether it's just one person or the whole team. In fact, I would not be surprised if you didn't even have to stream for 24 hours. It's that relaxed. I think the only rule I know is that anyone who registers on your team should be a player or a streamer for the team.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I'm seriously considering playing Receiver for 24 hours straight, I can't imagine a game that would tax my sanity more. I mean, even Desert Bus doesn't include actual brainwashing of the player. :P

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Just a heads up that this is next week!!! Let me know if anyone else is planning on streaming for the extra life event.

My team Obi and Friends are planning to play Dota 2, Heroes of Newerth, and The Walking Dead from start to finish. Other games are very possible.

• Options
    IrishRodentIrishRodent Registered User regular
    @YamiNoSenshi will be participating in the Extra Life event this Saturday starting at 8am EDT. He'll be streaming the full 24 hour event on his Twitch TV page. His donation page is located here. Please tune in on Saturday and for a few test streams during the week, and consider donating to a great cause!

• Options
    IrishRodentIrishRodent Registered User regular
    Just a reminder, today's the day for the Extra Life event! Thanks to everyone streaming, donating, or participating to support children's hospitals around the globe!

• Options
    10 hours in for us, just over $1,000 raised.

• Options
    Resurrect! Updated OP with new software!
    OBSLogo80.png
    For every commercial program there is a free and sometimes better alternative. In comes Open Broadcaster Software, an open sourced streaming software that uses a minimal amount of hardware resources to get the job done. I've recently switched over from XSplit to this, and for PC the results show. I'm still having a few issues as far as capturing consoles with my blackmagic card, but I believe that's at the fault of the capture device and not the software. Still being developed and has great praise.

New Twitch Layout!
    Initially, I really don't like designing my page in it. It's clunky and needs work, but it's definitely a step up from doing everything in HTML code similar to MySpace days. I have a feeling once all the bugs and features are added to it that it will be much much better than the old view.

That being said, do any PA streamers have any advice with converting the old HTML code to the new Markdown/Panel code for the new layout? I can't seem to find a way to host linked images on my panels, and most of my about me info is taken from web hosted images.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    And here I thought today was going to be another boring day at work. Go support http://www.mariomarathon.com/ ! Really great dudes raising money for Child's Play by playing through all the Mario games they can for the 6th time. They start in less than 2 hours and will be running all weekend and probably well into next week.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Its MM time again, how could I forget?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    rrsu.jpg

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    I'm waiting to see what other prizes they have besides the shirts. Although I do want a grey MM6 shirt.

• Options
    Just wanted to rez this one more time as I noticed some more streamers in the steam thread who might be interested.

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm? is currently registering again for another year. It's an organization that promotes streamers to stream video games for 24 hours, who in turn donate that money to a selected hospital of your choice for Child's Play. I've done it the past two years and I'm registered to do it for a third already.

Make a stream and a team and raise some money for the childrens!

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    If I had a job with reliable times I'd definitely be down for streaming for Extra-life, but as it is I've been working my ass off trying to get a job and theres no way I can be like "ill work anytime, except nov. 2nd". Can't make plans that far out yet. :(

but my stream is I stream randomly, and the game depends. Usually coop fun like Payday and the like, or I've been known to stream games for Charity, like Bad Rats, Amnesia, and currently working through a system shock 2 playthrough.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    If I had a job with reliable times I'd definitely be down for streaming for Extra-life, but as it is I've been working my ass off trying to get a job and theres no way I can be like "ill work anytime, except nov. 2nd". Can't make plans that far out yet. :(

but my stream is I stream randomly, and the game depends. Usually coop fun like Payday and the like, or I've been known to stream games for Charity, like Bad Rats, Amnesia, and currently working through a system shock 2 playthrough.

Yeah this rules. Extra-Life always falls on a Saturday, but they're really lenient on when you do the marathon as long as you do it. They even say you can break it up however you like but that kind of defeats the purpose to me.

Also horror-thons are super entertaining to watch.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Monthly bump. Extra-Life 2013 is set to start off on November 2nd! All details can be found at: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm? Make a team and do a marathon for Child's Play! It's for the kids!

My team is kicking off on October 26th at 10am. I'm going to be doing a raffle give-away every hour of steam games that were on sale over the past month for people who donate $1 to my team. As well as one big give away around prime time 6-7pm EST where I buy the winner any game they want on steam pending the number of entries.

Edit -
    Give away update!

Here's my current giveaway list and rules for my Extra Life marathon on the 26th. Some smaller games might get combined if more popular games go on sale before then. I might get some Capcom stuff to add to it, and then combine like Eets, TOM, and Rocketbirds into one giveaway, same deal with Serious Sam games.
    **List of games to be given away to donators during the Extra-Life Marathon:**

+ ANY GAME ON STEAM! (Each entry increases value by $1, $60 maximum)
    + Bioshock Infinite
    + Tomb Raider 2013
    + Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers
    + Trine 2
    + Final Fantasy VII (2 copies)
    + Mark of the Ninja
    + Brutal Legend
    + FTL
    + FEZ
    + Teleglitch : Die More Edition
    + Eets
    + Serious Sam - First Encounter
    + Serious Sam - Second Encounter
    + Hard Reset
    + System Shock 2
    + Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
    + Virus Named TOM
    + LIMBO
    + Bastion
    + Humble Bundle 9 Base(Supreme Commander, The Guild 2, Red Faction: Armageddon)
    + Humble Bundle 9 Extras(Painkiller, Arcania, DARKSIDERS II, SpellForce 2)
    + Indie Gala v21 (Crusader Kings II, Two Worlds II + Pirates DLC, Knights of Pen and Paper, Ether Vapor Remaster, Gorky 17, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Satazius)

Rules of Give-Away Contests!
    1. Each hour during the broadcast, I'll announce what game is going to be given away. Viewers will then have 30-45 minutes to donate at least $1 to my Extra Life page to be entered into the current contest. Make sure to leave your Steam account and email address so I can contact the winner!
    2. Each dollar will count as one entry into the current contest.
    3. After the set period of time, I'll tally up the names and throw them through a random number generator a few times. Whatever name gets rolled will win the prize.
    4. Prizes are either Steam product keys, or Steam gift copies. So you must have a Steam account in order to receive your prize.
    5. "ANY GAME ON STEAM" qualifies for any game purchasable on October 26-27th on steam. The value of which is determined by the number of entries. I.E. if 15 people donate $1 each, I will buy the winner any game up to $15 as a Steam gift. Maximum value of $60.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Hi PA streamers!
    I'm also doing the Extra Life marathon this year, and will be streaming on Twitch. I'm offering sponsors a chance to choose what games I'll play, so if you donate you can torture me with terrible games. The details are here (or just check my sig)

I'm still pretty new to streaming, and I broadcast only occasionally - mostly Saints Row IV lately, but sometimes I play Cube World with my 3-year-old daughter. My channel, in case you're interested.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Resurrecting for discussion over possible big news?

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/youtube-to-acquire-videogame-streaming-service-twitch-for-1-billion-sources-1201185204/
    Google’s YouTube has reached a deal to buy Twitch, a popular videogame-streaming company, for more than $1 billion, according to sources familiar with the pact.

The deal, in an all-cash offer, is expected to be announced imminently, sources said. If completed the acquisition would be the most significant in the history of YouTube, which Google acquired in 2006 for $1.65 billion. The impending acquisition comes after longtime Google ad exec Susan Wojcicki was named CEO of YouTube earlier this year.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. Especially after how YouTube has been consistently getting worse and worse with it's GUI design.

Edit - And of course, I can't change title cause I'm jailed. :(

KoopahTroopah on