As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Survivor: [Phalla]ppines - Reserves welcome!

191011121315»

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. There was really only one lie that I saw, which was T_A. You'll have to ask him for his reasons, but I would imagine he was telling the truth about just wanting to keep the idol out of mafia hands.

Rysk really was just an honest mixup. He thought he had ordered to consume 2 of the units but actually ordered 3. That mistake should have been obvious to the people with the formulas, particularly because he had 55 energy, and how that worked was in the OP. However, because no one simply said "it sounds like you consumed 3 units, not 2" but said "you're lying that doesn't add up!" Rysk never checked his PM.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If there are two more mafia in the game, and they are both on Team Wilson, I suspect ebum and Smoove.
    Ah well.

@MrTLicious I speculated that the 8 hour delay between role distribution and Team assignment was because the Producers seeded the teams. Was that correct?
    Yep! You were making me SUPER nervous.
    It was too little, too late. You actually tipped me off with the "I think the problem with this game is that like two people played it." comment, but where was I going to take that at 2pm on a Sunday?

Yesterday, Smoove brought up the following: "I think we at least have to start considering the possibility of an uneven mafia split". It was enough to tip me off him and on to warban.

The two of you did a great job of staying communicative and in the loop. That this game had a method for the mafia to appear helpful without really being helpful was another plus for you guys.

Thanks for running, MrT! I had fun!

And yeah, I realized that comment was a mistake about an hour after I said it.

The thing I was super worried you would think about related to that was "Wait, why am I still alive?"

There were precisely three scenarios where the mafia wouldn't have killed at least one of us, I think:

1) We were both mafia, so duh
    2) You were mafia, and you needed me for the F5 vote
    3) I was mafia, and I needed you for the F5 vote

So then I thought that you had a reasonable belief that EITHER warban and Anialos were both mafia or smoove and I were (that post... did not make me happy; neither did your theory that the mafia assigned teams). I think in that situation, if it were me, I'd hedge my bets. Vote out publicly whoever one of the two sides was pushing for (either warban or myself) and then privately vote out a member of the other pair (smoove or Ani). That way, you at least get the game to the jury vote, and you hope the jury picks the right candidate.

The nice thing was that as long as we could keep the public vote on warban, we had a guarantee of at *least* rocks with the private vote. So in case you switched your vote to Ani at some point as I kind of screwed up in ways I figured would give me away today, I suggested this to smoove:
    If you get any chance to make a plea to the jury (you should), point out that obviously you and Ani voted for each other. That means that jdark and I voted for opposite candidates. jdark publicly said in the thread that he was going to vote for Ani. Therefore, I *MUST* have voted for you to force the tie. And therefore, Ani is the last mafia, you're a villager, and the jury should vote for you.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Oh yeah. There was really only one lie that I saw, which was T_A. You'll have to ask him for his reasons, but I would imagine he was telling the truth about just wanting to keep the idol out of mafia hands.

Rysk really was just an honest mixup. He thought he had ordered to consume 2 of the units but actually ordered 3. That mistake should have been obvious to the people with the formulas, particularly because he had 55 energy, and how that worked was in the OP. However, because no one simply said "it sounds like you consumed 3 units, not 2" but said "you're lying that doesn't add up!" Rysk never checked his PM.

I figure T_A lied because of all the "KILL THE IDOL SEARCHERS/HIGH INT PEOPLE" pre-game talk from no less than three members of his team.

edited July 2012
    This is the thing I am most proud of in this game. So on day 2 I had supplied orders for the team based on some initial work that assumed that decimals would round down and with a formula that was off. Then early in the morning after the day 2 results I worked out the real formula (coincidentally proving T_A was lying, which was a nice way to get a vote on not us). So on day three, the team asked me to figure out ideal distribution for day 3. I was trying to do all kinds of fancy shit to start with, but then... this happened:
    Someone tell me this math is wrong:

19.7 existing food.

ebum 3|1|2
    Teucrian 3|0|3
    Kime 4|2|0
    T_A 2|0|4
    jdarksun 3|2|1
    Dagon 4|2|0
    Smoove 1|3|2
    warban 3|?|?

Um, I may have broken the game.

Someone tends the fire. I choose smoove!

Everyone else searches for food woooooo

ebum/Teucrian: efficiency = .225 + .1f OR 1 if f > 8

4 + 2 * e * 3 = 5.35 + .6f OR 10 if f > 8

Which still nets us 2 food each.

Dagon: efficiency = .225 + .1f OR 1 if f > 8

4 + 2 * e * 4 = 5.8 + .8f OR 12 if f > 8

Which nets us 4 food

kime: efficiency = .275 + .1f OR 1 if f > 8

4 + 2 * e * 4 = 5.8 + .6f OR 12 if f > 8

Netting us 4 food

T_A: efficiency =.125 + .1f OR 1 if f > 9

4 + 2 * e * 2 = 4.5 + .4f

If he maxes out at 9, then he only brings in 8.1, losing us .9 food.

jdarksun: efficiency = .175 + .1f OR 1 if f > 9

4 + 2 * e * 3 = 5.05 + .6f OR 10 if f > 9

Which nets us 1 food

warban: efficiency = .125 + .1f OR OR 1 if f > 9

4 + 2 * e * 3 = 4.75 + .6f OR 10 if f > 9

Netting us 1 food

smoove: Tends the fire, eats 9 food because what the hell:

Loses us 9 food

Total net: 2 + 2 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 1 - 9 - .9 = 4.1 food + existing total of 19.7 food = 23.8 food. Assume we lose half = 11.9 food tomorrow, with everyone at 100% energy. Does this not work?

What I like about this is this is exactly what I would have done as a villager. Math dork/exploit hunter awaaaaaaay!

enlightenedbum on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Thanks for running the game, MrT.

I got executed for a lack of posting, and I guess it was mostly from frustration leading to a lack of interest. I didn't really have much information to work with, especially since no one I was actually watching was mafia. I can understand the reason for not forcing the mafia to split up. However, it really makes it kind of disappointing to know that my guesses were not wrong in large part to the fact that it was a trick question.

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Boards are unlocked. Proper thoughts and comments on the game tomorrow.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular

I figure T_A lied because of all the "KILL THE IDOL SEARCHERS/HIGH INT PEOPLE" pre-game talk from no less than three members of his team.
    It's all true. I only ever lied about my stats; I never expected the mafia to not go for the idol. That actually took me by surprise.

It's all true. I only ever lied about my stats; I never expected the mafia to not go for the idol. That actually took me by surprise.

Mafia started with an idol.

• TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    This was a frustrating loss because I was close a few times to an analytical breakthrough but never quite made it, and got blinded several times by sloppy assumptions, most notably the 2/2 split. I still enjoyed playing MrT. Thank you very much for your work on the game.

I actually think that with some mechanics tweaks this game could be interesting with no mafia at all, just as a straight up survivor game. Coming in with only the most cursory knowledge of the show there seems to be some really interesting game theory elements beneath the surface.

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    Sorry @Bedlam & sorry @MrTLicious for getting your name wrong and being inactive.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited July 2012
    Teucrian wrote: »
    This was a frustrating loss because I was close a few times to an analytical breakthrough but never quite made it, and got blinded several times by sloppy assumptions, most notably the 2/2 split. I still enjoyed playing MrT. Thank you very much for your work on the game.

I actually think that with some mechanics tweaks this game could be interesting with no mafia at all, just as a straight up survivor game. Coming in with only the most cursory knowledge of the show there seems to be some really interesting game theory elements beneath the surface.

I was thinking this too, and I know the show. The problem here is that the main thread would be totally barren until day 7. Also, it would take a two week commitment from the players.

Basically, what you'd need:

1) Re-work the gathering/energy/shelter mechanics to make stuff not quite so abusable. I have ideas on this.
    2) Each tribe gets a proboard to sequester them from each other until the merge. And then a jury proboard.
    3) Reward challenges as a way to gain bonus energy (pure food rewards), bonuses to food gathering (fishing equipment), shelter (tarp), or whatever. I would also add randomly distributed idol clues at the rewards which would give a significant (and increasing/clue) boost to idol searching.
    4) Each day in the thread there would be some narration of general trends, but nothing specific and then challenge recaps and the vote recap.
    5) You'd have Probsty questions on the proboards of the losing teams, who would be required to answer the questions directed at them, though they wouldn't have to be honest, obviously.

I'd be willing to work with MrT to refine it if he were interested.

enlightenedbum on
  • TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think the no mafia game would have some really great soft networking opportunities and systems. It would probably lead to a very large number of hurt feelings also.

On the show, do the stronger competitors start to get voted out towards the end? It occurred to me that if we had been more successful at finding mafia members, competitors who were motivated to achieve the secondary win condition might try to arrange the demise of people who they felt the jury would favor over them. That would have been an interesting wrinkle.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

...Really? Why?

I mean, wouldn't having the mafia potentially look for an idol and then get caught slacking be one of the main ways of finding mafia?

Yep. Roughly speaking, the actual game features a series of distinct phases:

Phase 1: Weed out the chaff. This is where you eliminate the old, the nerdy, and the people (usually interpreted by the cast as pretty young girls) who are just there to jump start their acting careers. Your goal here is to build a strong team so you make the merge with an advantage.
    Phase 2: Purge out the unloyal. Anyone you've alienated must be removed before the merge.
    (Merge)
    Phase 3: The Pagonging. Where the team who enters the merge with more players annihilates the other team (named for the name of the team in the first season, Pagong, who was eliminated one by one by a still allied other team). This can be broken up by the people on the bottom of the pecking order on the strong team, idols, or irrational backstabbing by morons.
    Phase 4: Wrangling for jury votes. Here you want to eliminate everyone the jury might like that is not you.

There are two super interesting things about Survivor as a concept: 1) The social part. It's a really extreme situation that causes a heightening of emotions. 2) The endgame. You need to end people's chances to win a million dollars in such a way that they then give you a million dollars. This has the nice side effect that assholes very rarely win Survivor. Cocky bastards, yes, but actual assholes? It's happened like once.

Capfalcon wrote: »

...Really? Why?

I mean, wouldn't having the mafia potentially look for an idol and then get caught slacking be one of the main ways of finding mafia?

Because we're the producers, we made the damn things, we get to keep one.

That one makes thematic sense, but gameplay I agree not so much.

Capfalcon wrote: »

...Really? Why?

It was a balance issue. I was going back and forth between 3 and 4 mafia, eventually deciding on 3 mafia plus an idol.

Teucrian wrote: »

If people are interested in this, I would definitely put in the work to make the mechanics more relevant and balanced. As it was, it was basically just a way to give villagers something to do and try to have some kind of tribe rivalry going.

• GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    Even though I was brutally murdered first thanks for the game Mr.T I had a fun time reading it.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    warban wrote: »
    Sorry @Bedlam & sorry MrTLicious for getting your name wrong and being inactive.
    :P

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    so hey voting out someone who is contributing, even if they're questioning the groupthink, is usually a poor idea.

also ebum's dumb "vote out a villager who just doesn't get it" comment should have been a pretty clear indicator he was mafia when I came up green.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Well played Mafia.

THB bought fully into the two mafia per side camp and we spent the entire game looking for our traitors. Oops.

"making everything public will work against the village because villagers will lie and work towards their own goals"

"no they won't you're dumb"

*villagers lie and work towards their own goals*

also the elmer fudd post was a joke? as in, a literal jungle trap?

I made post after post saying that a public vote wasn't going to be productive, and it wasn't. The only thing that came out of it was "catching fab in a lie", when actually, he wasn't lying. It was just a happy coincidence.

Chasing perceived liars just killed more villagers, while all the mafia had to do was exactly what ebum and smoove did - be very public and not do anything untoward against the village.

ebum wrote:
    I have a placeholder on Langly for the private vote; because all other things being equal villagers who don't get the clearly right move are less valuable than villagers who do (no offense). I'm willing to be persuaded on this though. I don't have any food consumption orders in.

EDIT: Only have til 9:30 or so to be persuaded tonight though.

Except, it wasn't clearly the right move, and there were plenty of reasons that I was pointing out why it was not clearly correct.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I don't like the idea of mafia picking the teams. The village's main strength is numbers in this game. The tribe system cut that in half, and then letting the mafia hide all on one side meant the other tribe's private vote was always an extra mafia kill.

And then when the village reasonably assumes mafia on each side, the public vote becomes a mafia kill too.

There was also very little reason for mafia to slip up with daily tasks. They started with an idol? No need to go searching. And food/shelter was a non-issue for them. Genuinely helping out their tribe worked entirely in their favour since they stacked the teams.

So the tools present to find mafia were never going to find mafia. The village would have been better served just forgetting about the mechanics and playing phalla, hunting through vote records and forum posts. Except even that was hard because everyone has their proboards to hide on.

Thanks for hosting, MrT! Was a fun game. Great theme.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Eh. It's Phalla, if you try to spread the strategy that "getting caught in a lie doesn't make you suspicious", you're just gonna get ignored or worse.

If the villagers would not have lied or had managed to read their order PMs/remember what they wrote, we would have had a lot less issues with that and could have focused on other things, perhaps even finding ebum and Smoove.

And while I get the idea that "I lied to you for your own safety! to try and protect the idol from the mafia", it probably wasn't the best strategy, Anon. First, a clarification on what happens when you die would reveal if the entire thing was even worthwhile (which, unfortunately, turned out it wasn't). Then, you didn't admit that you lied, but instead just waited till you got caught. Imagine if someone came out to be the vig, and when the vote closed, they called their target on Bob. But when the results came up, Bob didn't die. Then the "vig" tells you "I actually killed Fred, who died, but I lied to you so the mafia wouldn't block it." You think anyone would believe him?

In general, lying, when everyone will be able to see if you are lying or not, is a good way to get yourself killed.

Oh yeah, thanks for hosting MrT! I had a good time :D

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Also, you'd think when Team Beard learned "huh, everyone here has an abnormally high Int.... and Team Wilson seems to have a low Int..." they'd have maybe deduced that the teams were, perhaps, not random. Hindsight, though.

I find it amusing that that early plan of "just kill all of Team Wilson!" would have worked :P

Steam profile
    In hindsight, yeah, allowing the mafia to all be on one team was not the best. I figured it would be a double-edged sword though. If they had picked jdark to be on the other team, the competitions would have been more... competitive. Then, when THB won, there would be a really high probability of voting off a mafia. It was a high risk/reward strategy that ended up paying off for them because, as I should have expected, people got lost in the mechanics and the tribe rivalry.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Also, you'd think when Team Beard learned "huh, everyone here has an abnormally high Int.... and Team Wilson seems to have a low Int..." they'd have maybe deduced that the teams were, perhaps, not random. Hindsight, though.

I find it amusing that that early plan of "just kill all of Team Wilson!" would have worked :P

Our team wasn't all high INT, actually. It was probably just that the few who did have high INT were with us. For all we knew, Wilson had a couple people with high INT, too.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited July 2012

All of your reasons were wrong. There was no reason to keep stats a secret (the mafia already had them), there was no reason to go idol hunting (the mafia already had one), etc, etc.

no one knew this? based on what we knew, there was no reason to believe any of that was incorrect.
    We had every reason to go after people that were chasing their own goals; if they hadn't, we would have been able to focus on something else. Folk like The Anonymous (and all of Team Beard, apparently) enabled ebum and smoove to hide behind being useful.

this...was my entire point? People will do things that mess up a public game.

Langly on
    First: Thanks for running MrT!

The one gamebreaking thing that allowed ebum and I to skate through the game was the 2/2 split assumption. The only things we really had to do was (1) use our kill to ensure that Wilson had the advantage in the challenges, (2) keep Wilson with 1 or 2 more people than THB so that we didn't run out of THB vote targets AND it was still statistically preferable to vote out THB than Wilson, and (3) be good and helpful villagers. I thought it was strange that the assumption stuck around as long as it did, especially when the early theorycrafting seemed solid enough that folks wouldn't lean so heavily on that big of an assumption.

Teuc and JDark were both dangerous for us to keep around, but we knew that we needed someone else to "lead the village" for us. We kept JDark because he seemed to trust ebum fairly implicitly for most of the game. Also, @jdarksun, I knew that you would be looking really hard at me and warban when it came down to it, so I was trying any subtle ways I could think of to gently nudge you towards warban.

Also also, I really was juggling this game while dealing with contractors and moving the family to a hotel while our floors got finished. We're still at the hotel actually. I lie in-game, but I don't want y'all to think I lie about outside of the game stuff to make myself look less mafia-y. I'm not that shitty.

Oh also, a thousand apologies to SirFab for not approving him on the proboards and leaving him out out to dry, scratching his head about all these contribution PMs people were talking about. I approved 2 people without really thinking then moved on with my life. I forgot that one of those people was the host and not just my other 2 mafia buddies.

If anything good came of it, its that the 2/2 mafia split assumption dictated that there was only 1 mafia left on our team, and so THB became the more fertile hunting ground.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

Our team wasn't all high INT, actually. It was probably just that the few who did have high INT were with us. For all we knew, Wilson had a couple people with high INT, too.

They had to have at least one person with high INT - Teucrian, if I recall correctly, as you and he went up against each other in the puzzle challenge where Kime died. You had a 4 INT and should have won that if Teucrian didn't also have a high INT - instead, we still lost.

Yeah, we had one-two with high INTs. I think Teucrian was only a 3 though...? I forget.

Steam profile
    edited July 2012
    We had two people with Int over 2: Teucrian (3) and Anonymous (4, but he listed it as 1). The reason we won is we were all at 100% energy and you guys weren't, I'd imagine.

enlightenedbum on
    Figgy wrote: »

They had to have at least one person with high INT - Teucrian, if I recall correctly, as you and he went up against each other in the puzzle challenge where Kime died. You had a 4 INT and should have won that if Teucrian didn't also have a high INT - instead, we still lost.

In that challenge, everyone else's Dex was also taken into account, though less materially (mostly a kind of tiebreaker). The real killer was that Teucrian had 100 energy going into the challenge and Figgy didn't, making his effective Int actually lower than Teucrian's.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, well, if our food hadn't been wiped out in the first night, we would have been a bit stronger for the challenges. Instead, we tried to conserve our food as best we could, instead of eating it as we got it and keeping our energy high.

Yeah, well, if our food hadn't been wiped out in the first night, we would have been a bit stronger for the challenges. Instead, we tried to conserve our food as best we could, instead of eating it as we got it and keeping our energy high.

That was the night we realized that didn't matter. Shelter was, like communism, a red herring.