As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Amazing Spider-Man 2] Out now... for everything. Digital only on XB1.

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Games and Technology
Edit: Update! ASM2 is out today, April 29th 2014, for just about every console under the sun. Get it!
So, this guy
amazing-spider-man-game-apr-2.jpeg
is in another game by developer Beenox. the last few games were.... less than good. It's been a few years since we've gotten an open world Spidey game, but this time around we've got a fresh slate and a much longer development time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7N-KoFYZTY

I've been following this one, and it looks pretty good so far. The game's story takes place after the movie, so be aware of spoilers if you want to go in to the film fresh. The luchadore wrestling-inspired combat is featured in the game as well, and it features a wealth of really cool alternate costumes, including Stan "The Man" Lee. Plus, Bruce Campbell is in it, for some reason.

the-amazing-spider-man-game-costumes.jpg

The game releases tommorow, June 26th for 360, PS3 and Wii. There are also 3DS and DS versions but, I have no info or interest in them.
As for PC...
nPUTC.png

Local H Jay on

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man, this is actually looking pretty sweet.

I was really hoping that Miles' suit would be unlockable though.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    All I could think while watching that trailer was "man, a Spiderman game made by Rocksteady would be pretty awesome." The Arkham games are an obvious influence, what with that set up looking like a predator room and using the combo+special system, but Spidey games are one of those franchises I just assume will usually be bad. Still Spiderman was always one of my favorites, so I guess if the combat is tolerable and the story doesn't blow and you can swing around an open city, thumbs up.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I am 100% not on board with the upcoming movie. I do have to admit that this game is looking sweet though. Glad to see they've included normal Spidey costumes so you don't have to look at the fucking awful looking one from this new film.

Also, Bruce Campbell had cameos in the other films, I assume he has one in the new movie. He was also in the games from the first two movies, possibly the third. I don't remember.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I stopped hoping another good Spider-Man game would come out a long time ago

But maybe this will be okay! I'd like to play another open-world Spider-Man game

Just so long as they get the damn web-swinging right

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I am 100% not on board with the upcoming movie. I do have to admit that this game is looking sweet though. Glad to see they've included normal Spidey costumes so you don't have to look at the fucking awful looking one from this new film.

Also, Bruce Campbell had cameos in the other films, I assume he has one in the new movie. He was also in the games from the first two movies, possibly the third. I don't remember.

i think the new movie looks aces, andy garfield blows tobey away in terms of being a funny spider-man. i actually enjoy spidey's digs in this one, but i too am glad they included lots of costumes without charging us for them/preordering for them.

as for bruce, it just feels odd that campbell is still getting cameos in spider-man now that sam raimi has moved on from the property. he's awesome no doubt, i'm sure his bit will be hilarious.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Please let this be good

It releases on my birthday

A good new Spider-Man game for the first time in goddamn years would be the perfect present

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Also, right call on the 3DS version, Jay

From the demo it seems pretty terribad

(Of course the console version may be too, who knows)

Gonna Redbox this

As a side note, the new film looks amazing

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    [Stan Lee]

oh my glob

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Hmm...

To anyone who's curious but not ready to take the plunge for purchase, take note:

This game hits Redbox on release day, and most of the Redboxes I've been to, when a new movie or game comes out, it goes live at midnight (they are stocked before and let you get the new releases right at 12:00 AM)

I'm thinking of heading up to Wal-Mart in a few

• Options
    Hmm...

To anyone who's curious but not ready to take the plunge for purchase, take note:

This game hits Redbox on release day, and most of the Redboxes I've been to, when a new movie or game comes out, it goes live at midnight (they are stocked before and let you get the new releases right at 12:00 AM)

if i go and they don't have it i am mailing you cancer

balls cancer

• Options
    edited June 2012
    It is not a definite thing, to be sure, so YMMV. Like I've never seen a sign posted or anything that says "here's the deal"

But I've been at Wal-Marts at like 12:30 AM on new release days and gotten the new releases

EDIT: Yeah, heading out there. I'll report back.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Please let this be good

It releases on my birthday

A good new Spider-Man game for the first time in goddamn years would be the perfect present

Shattered Dimensions was pretty ok. I thought Web of Shadows was good too.

Good luck with the red box!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    WoS was decent, and SD has some good ideas. overall, spiderman does better in an open world setting because he's fun to play as in a sandbox. the random crimes in this new game sound like a great way to keep busy in the world, like in LA Noire.

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man 3 was ok. Most of it was good, but towards the end the difficulty was excessive. The last boss fight was an uber QTE bullshit fest.
    Web of Shadows was decent. I really liked the web zip from enemy to enemy system. Of course Spider-Man 2 was the best one.

This looks pretty cool and I have hope. I skipped all the Beenox games. Given the idea behind the Web-Rush locomotion I doubt that there will be mini races all over the city. This makes me sad, it was one of my favorite things from Spidey 2, and was missing in most of the games after it.

Im going to buy this blind tomorrow at lunch.

Just watched the stealth and combat video. Looks pretty sweet. Wish I could calll in sick tomorrow, but I have the rest of the week off anyway.

Random IGN dude thoughts on the game,here. He likes it.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foiled! Redbox updated, as they have The Artist available, but neither one here has Spidey in stock.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, Redbox, I always forget about them. I'm not into many AAA titles but that seems like an inexpensive way to check this out.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    Web of Shadows got soooooo tedious by the end, but its the game that captured the feel of Spiderman's fighting the best. Leaping around, bouncing off walls and comboing off enemies in a haphazard way. The webswinging was decent as well.

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Web of Shadows did get tedious. But I think it was the best combat/swinging Spidey since 2. USM the swinging sucked ass. Venom parts were too different from spidey time. What did people think of SPidey 3?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The swinging did kind of suck in USM, but the combat and presentation of the story were good enough to make up for it and then some IMO

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wasn't the last Beenox Spidey game the one that took place mostly inside a dank building, therefore making web swinging useless?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    USM has the best voice actor for Spiderman, really fit the character. Probably the best setting, too. Web of Shadows had the best fighting. Spiderman 2, I think, had the best swinging.

I've yet to play a Spiderman game where everything comes together.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    basically what I need to knw is:

is the webswinging at least as awesome as the Spiderman 2 game or the USM game?

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS one does look balls, but is regular DS one a 2D game? Some of those have been pretty neat metroidvanias in the past

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Oh man, I had this pre-ordered and everything. But then college happened. :(

If it's good I'll pick it up later.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The fact that there's not one review out is really troubling.

Luckily I won't have time to play this till Thursday, so I'll wait out on reviews.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    USM has the best voice actor for Spiderman, really fit the character. Probably the best setting, too. Web of Shadows had the best fighting. Spiderman 2, I think, had the best swinging.

I've yet to play a Spiderman game where everything comes together.
    Spider-Man 2 was the best

Painstakingly carrying some generic thug to the top of the Empire State Building and piledriving him down to street level never failed to make me laugh

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    I've been eyeballing this so hard... I cant resist open world spidey games even if they are less than great.

And damnit I wish the 3ds one was another griptonite made metroidvania. Not nearly enough of those :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    Hmm...

I just checked the one down the block from me but I don't think my Redbox's game catalog had been changed in a few months sadly.

QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Is there a pc version? I couldn't seem to see anything mentioned on the official site.

Also UK release date isn't till the 29th otherwise I'd have been rushing out to buy this and telling you all how good/bad it is.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Luckily I won't have time to play this till Thursday, so I'll wait out on reviews.

There is hardly ever any reviews allowed for games prior to release day unless its a very special game.

I will probably get this come a Amazon B2G1F deal in the future since the only enticing part is the open world. Not a fan of this movie universe or design aesthetic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I loved me some Web of Shadows but I wasn't that into Shattered Whatever. Open world games always work for me, level based do not. I pre-ordered this months ago; I love web swinging through NY.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

There is hardly ever any reviews allowed for games prior to release day unless its a very special game.

I will probably get this come a Amazon B2G1F deal in the future since the only enticing part is the open world. Not a fan of this movie universe or design aesthetic.

Huh?

Most games at least have their reviews up 24hrs before release day or at the mininum the morning of the release.

It's when there's no reviews period that it's a very "special" game.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I dunno, even though Shattered Dimensions was (mostly) linear I still dug it. Nice combination of nostalgia and weirdness. Also Neil Patrick Harris was in it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Huh?

Most games at least have their reviews up 24hrs before release day or at the mininum the morning of the release.

It's when there's no reviews period that it's a very "special" game.

Nah, there's plenty of games that reviews don't come out until day of or even well after the release.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I dunno, even though Shattered Dimensions was (mostly) linear I still dug it. Nice combination of nostalgia and weirdness. Also Neil Patrick Harris was in it.

Yeah, it was a good game just not one I could enjoy.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Finally a thread for this.
    I'm pumped! My copy is on the way.
    Disappointed with the webs sticking to the air, but I'll get over it.

And FINALLY a Spidey game bringing back the alternative costumes, like the Spiderman games of old.

vamen on
  • Options
    Somebody, who isn't me, play this game already! I need to know if its good. It looks good... like Beenox got private lessons from Rocksteady on how to do your super hero subject matter some justice.

I just need one of you guinea pigs fine forum pals to do the leg-work for me.