As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: The Gathering] Duels: Origins. A colon here, a colon there.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    Probably Overrun, the classic green sorcery. Costs 5, gives all your creatures +3/+3 and trample.

That's the one, sorry. Loved that card. So useful.

• Options
    ToonToon Registered User regular
    Honestly, the DotP were in decline as far as I was concerned. 14's decks were less fun than 13's, and 13's were visibly worse than 12's. At least IMHO.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I disliked the last dlc decks from 14, but apart from that the decks from the previous games were fun.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I will say this for 15: the cutscenes are a lot better than they were in 14.

Also, Spire Tracer is doing a surprising amount of work in my all-Green deck. Didn't expect that.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    Probably Overrun, the classic green sorcery. Costs 5, gives all your creatures +3/+3 and trample.

Someone said 2015 has the convoke version instead, I think?

2015 doesn't have overrun, I think there's a +1/+1 to all green instant? And a white one that gives +2/+1.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Yeah, no overrun. And also, whoever designed the menu systems: please please please make them work faster. It takes ages to do anything.

• Options
    Whoever thought making Garruk a two-stage fight where you can't restart from the second fight was a good a idea was wrong.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Whoever thought making Garruk a two-stage fight where you can't restart from the second fight was a good a idea was wrong.

Thank you for making it even easier for me to not buy this one.

• Options
    Finished the campaign, used a white/black pack mostly. I kinda liked what they did with the whole deck building thing, it did give the (probably illusory) sense of having a bunch of cards and making the best use of them. But as I said earlier, the menu system is just awful and annoyed the hell out of me while playing this.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    There also seem to be little to no of the +1/+1 to all enchantment or creature type cards, makes it hard to build a deck based around counters and growing them. My only hope for 2015 is that you should get increasing returns of deck building quality with each card they add. IE, going from 300->310 cards would help, but then the next 10 cards would be even more of an impact and so on. Hopefully DLC will come soon and fix some problems.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    I actually made a pretty good red white token deck, and a pretty good green black graveyard deck.

Its a pretty good game the problem is that they don't have enough cards, and the decks aren't as well optimized as they were in previous games.

For example, I don't think I can make a straight mono blue mill deck until they add more cards.

• Options
    I actually made a pretty good red white token deck, and a pretty good green black graveyard deck.

Its a pretty good game the problem is that they don't have enough cards, and the decks aren't as well optimized as they were in previous games.

For example, I don't think I can make a straight mono blue mill deck until they add more cards.

Yeah, definitely. The replayability is pretty low because of the lack of cards, particularly the lack of a variety of cards.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So...

In summary DOTP15 is awful.

I shall instead spend my money on MTGO Drafts and Shovel Knight.

• Options
    Had to ditch my mono Green deck for a thrown together mono White deck to finally beat Garruk.

Although I suspect the way he didn't cast that 6/6 that only gets stronger when it destroys creatures on turn 4 for once probably helped.

And, OK, using Gods Willing to repeatedly save Brimaz from Putrefy didn't hurt either.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Based on a lot of the comments here, I'm an exception to the "DotP 15 doesn't bring in new people" argument, since that's precisely why I bought it (for Kindle Fire).

Admittedly I'm not completely new to WotC games, there's still a couple of 800ct longboxes of Battletech cards sitting in my office, but for whatever reason, I never got into MtG. Still get the urge to play a good CCG now and then, but despite trying various others, nothing really quite scratched the itch. Not that I was going to drop a couple hundred bucks on physical Magic cards though, the old BT collection was built in an era before I was a married man with kids seriously dating anyone.

So anyway, here comes DotP 15, with the promise of "Learn to play Magic for the cost of a couple of mochas, and without getting mocked by a teenager half your age." For me, I'd say it's successful. I feel confident enough that I can buy into a sealed deck tourney and at least not completely humiliate myself.

I just wish the UI were faster. Deck-building is probably my favorite part of a CCG, and probably one of the slowest-moving bits of the UI on my Fire HD.

It may be just about time to dig out some of those starter decks I've got sitting around from previous PAXs and teach my son to play.

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    There also seem to be little to no of the +1/+1 to all enchantment or creature type cards, makes it hard to build a deck based around counters and growing them. My only hope for 2015 is that you should get increasing returns of deck building quality with each card they add. IE, going from 300->310 cards would help, but then the next 10 cards would be even more of an impact and so on. Hopefully DLC will come soon and fix some problems.

Not sure what colors you were running, but I made an awesome (at least for this game) green/red counter based deck. I ran Timberland Guide for early counters to put on either Wandering Wolf, or Landslide Elemental. Had Hunt the Weak for creature removal/more counters. I also have the obligatory Advocate of the Beast and Marauding Maulhorn combo with Primal Huntbeast as a hexproof beast for it. Then into Howlgeist for more unblockable damage and Landslide Elemental trigger. Phytotitan for even more damage and more Landslide Elemental triggers. Siege Wurm for an early 5/5 with convoke. And then rounded it out with Titanic Growth, Cultivate and Anger of the Gods.

Its a little slow to start up, but I have not been able to find anything to really counter it in game yet. After turn 3 I have a wall of creatures thats almost impossible to break, while I keep swinging into what is essentially always a heads I win, tails you lose, situation for me. It might take until turn 7, but I always win with that deck.

I had one game where someone got me down to one life on turn 4, while he was sitting at 32. I almost conceded. Then, I top decked an Anger of the Gods and from there it was all me.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    16313_10154513639825245_2285499989770839374_n.jpg

Garruk looks sad.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    So, hey, there's any expansion out featuring Alara cards. More importantly, if you preordered or ever bought Premium Packs, you get it for free.

Speaking of Premium Packs, they now unlock by winning multiplayer matches. So I guess I'll still never get them.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I may have to give 2015 another shot then. I really didn't care for the deck building and it felt like there weren't really very many cards to unlock.

I ended up going back to 2014 and playing random vs random some more. I still haven't unlocked all the cards for every deck in that game.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    This made me ponder opening this back up, then I remembered the terrible auto tapping for mana and I think I'll pass.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    This made me ponder opening this back up, then I remembered the terrible auto tapping for mana and I think I'll pass.

My problem with mana is that I hardly ever seem to get enough of it. Numerous times now I've had to take a risk on a hand with 2 Forests and a Cultivate and then watch as I fail to get any more Land for turn after turn after turn.

On the other hand, I never get mana flooded. Maybe 24 Lands isn't enough after all.

• Options
    Games is out on Xbox One in case someone is interested.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    I would love to get it on XBbox one but I've already been playing it on my Kindle.

• Options
    Magic the Gathering: F2P (Wizards of the Coast): The world’s most beloved collectible card game goes free-to-play! It will make its console debut first on Xbox one

Developing ...

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited March 2015
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUjnNUy0H1I
    Enter the world’s most popular strategy game with Magic Duels™ Origins, an all-new, free-to-play digital experience. Build powerful decks from an ever-growing collection of earnable cards, and sharpen your skills in a variety of unique solo and multiplayer modes. Begin your adventure here!

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Storytelling and regular content updates take center stage in new Free-to-Play release

March 4, 2015 - RENTON, WA - Wizards of the Coast today announced Magic Duels: Origins, the successor to their popular Duels of the Planeswalkers franchise. Magic Duels will launch with the exciting new storyline featured in the upcoming Magic Origins set, and will continue to expand with regular downloadable content that reflects the latest sets. Multiple play modes, including fan-favorite Two-Headed Giant, along with a true Free-to-Play experience will delight both new and returning players.

Magic Duels: Origins arrives this July to console on Xbox One, PC via Steam, and iPad tablets, with PlayStation 4 joining later this year.

"This upcoming release is unlike anything we've ever done," said Drew Nolosco, lead designer for Magic Duels: Origins. "Players will experience the origin stories of our five most iconic Planeswalkers through immersive gameplay. We've also listened to our players. Two-Headed Giant is back! Taking it a step further, everything is earnable, making the game truly free-to-play. Magic Duels is the perfect way to start your journey into the world's best strategy game."

Exciting new features of Magic Duels include:

- Improved Deck Builder with step-by-step deck construction guidance
    - First-ever playable Planeswalker cards
    - Solo Battle mode featuring virtually endless AI opponents
    - Expanded multiplayer options, including Two-Headed Giant mode
    - Quest system with new individual and community challenges every week
    - Limitless Free-to-Play with 100% earnable content
    - All-new Skill Quest tutorial system

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Five most iconic planeswalkers...

So that would be Jace, Liliana, Garruk, Chandra and... who? Ajani, Elspeth or Gideon?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Gideon from the pics out there.
    kdHVW3N.jpg

Guess they are going back to the Eldrazi.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Game should be called "whoops: I guess hearthstone ate our lunch."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Interesting.

• Options
    Smaug6 wrote: »

I haven't tried Hearthstone but I think M:tG is a little bit more complex for the casual players.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »

I haven't tried Hearthstone but I think M:tG is a little bit more complex for the casual players.

I am just saying they tried to do a more casual game with the original duals of the planes walkers then got smoked in that area by hearthstone. And this seems similiar in terms of rewards, cost, etc, albeit with the magic complexity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So I appreciate getting free Khans of Tarkir cards, but did they really all have to be foils? Foils are ugly.

Also, I've noticed one advantage of doggedly sticking with mono-Green; I don't need to bother with all those "enters the battlefield tapped" Lands because I don't need mana fixing so I can get going slightly faster than my opponents. So score one for lack of proper deck-building experience.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Free cards?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Free cards?

Yeah. On Steam anyway. Don't know about any other version. For the last few months, once every month, the game gets updated with about 20-30 new cards (that is, 2 or 3 copies of 10 new cards). It's nice, but the foil effect doesn't really make me want to play them.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    This seems like the game they should've originally made but couldn't due to console constraints.

I'm pretty happy it's coming now

• Options
    Have a trailer revealing nothing particularly out of the ordinary. Except playable Planeswalkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlm-Nby8uIA

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ah well, after buying almost every iteration of Duels since it started and playing for 50+ hrs. I don't know if I'm gonna put to much time into this one.

I really hated the deck building aspect of 2015 and it looks like that's going to be the new gold standard.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yeah, 2015 managed to push the Duels franchise from "instant buy" to "Uh, maybe?" for me. It was so much more than just the deck building as well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    2015 tried something new and it didn't quite work. The previous Duels games all had these premade decks that all had a theme or worked on some ridiculous or something and were fun. Every deck had its own identity.

2015's deckbuilding didn't really allow for that deck identity, I don't think.

Also, the getting-people-to-pay-for-premium-packs thing was terrible, but at least the maker eventually understood and made those cards earnable by winning multiplayer matches.

So I'm still keeping an eye on this Origins thing. See what they do with it.