As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: The Gathering] Duels: Origins. A colon here, a colon there.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I have been focusing on playing the Eldrazi deck, and beside the early game basically being Solitaire as you ramp up your mana I am having a fair bit of fun. I can't help but feel like playing something more flexible though, so I have started eyeing the other decks.

Jace was a HUGE pain to beat with that deck, though I can not imagine him being that much easier for other decks. His new deck is based on tempo/aggro, using huge flying illusion creatures to kill you in about 5-6 rounds. Their "weakness" is that they die when targeted by spells or abilities, but since it also includes a card that gives them shroud (and the Eldrazi deck has no targeted spells or abilities,nor flyers) they are basically just huge flying creatures with no downside. Watching the opponent have a 3/3, a 2/2 and a 4/5 flying creature out on round three is pretty disheartening. Considering all the other tricks he has up his sleeve I feel like his deck is the strongest I have seen in the game so far by a decent margin.

It took altogether too many tries to beat him. I was also surprised to find that doing so did not unlock his deck. Does anyone have any idea how you are supposed to unlock the decks that don't appear in the regular campaign?

Vic on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It seems you need to "change the plane" or defeat them in their respective planes. That's from I read in the WotC forums.

I still have not bought the game.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm so determined to not step into an FNM venue that Ill give my promo card code to the first PM I get to whoever wants it.

I make a big boy salary now. They shall not have it!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    Is the redeem-in-reality thing just the little booster this time?

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Hey I remember why I really hated the campaign mode in earlier versions.

"Hi! This is my totally crappy deck built on one single idea! Innit great? Now let me draw the nuts against you every single time and when you survive for six turns I will just fold like a wet blanket! Fun!"

Bloodthirst and Biovisionary being the most "fun" so far. Calling this a campaign is silly. It is know your opponents draw, pick the deck against it and mulligan to get what you need.

Ye olde Microprose Shandalar will forever be the only decent versus AI Magic game for me

scherbchen on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I have been focusing on playing the Eldrazi deck, and beside the early game basically being Solitaire as you ramp up your mana I am having a fair bit of fun. I can't help but feel like playing something more flexible though, so I have started eyeing the other decks.

Jace was a HUGE pain to beat with that deck, though I can not imagine him being that much easier for other decks. His new deck is based on tempo/aggro, using huge flying illusion creatures to kill you in about 5-6 rounds. Their "weakness" is that they die when targeted by spells or abilities, but since it also includes a card that gives them shroud (and the Eldrazi deck has no targeted spells or abilities,nor flyers) they are basically just huge flying creatures with no downside. Watching the opponent have a 3/3, a 2/2 and a 4/5 flying creature out on round three is pretty disheartening. Considering all the other tricks he has up his sleeve I feel like his deck is the strongest I have seen in the game so far by a decent margin.

It took altogether too many tries to beat him. I was also surprised to find that doing so did not unlock his deck. Does anyone have any idea how you are supposed to unlock the decks that don't appear in the regular campaign?

If you play the human deck or garruk jace is a chump. Rancor is the best removal spell ever :)

As for the planeswalker duels, I'm not quite sure the mechanics. I know as I beat the planes I can fight more of them soooo maybe that's it?

• Options
    Blue is like playing Chess by yelling "EARTHQUAKE" and slapping the pieces off the board.

Another thing I don't miss from Paper Magic, and Magic in general by proxy.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    When you're casting a spell, push in the left analog stick (L3). Not sure on other systems, but that's how it is with a controller.

Also, am I alone in feeling like the "sealed" card pool is incredibly boring and has way too many creatures with no abilities and/or old cards I've been playing with for almost 20 years? I was really hoping sealed would be mostly new cards.

This is unfortunately par for the course as far as Sealed Play of Base Sets go in recent history.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Have you guys noticed the cards with animations in the art when you zoom in yet? Its really neat for some of them. Grave Titan was pretty creepy.

Speaking of which I think they should have stuck with psuedo animations and voice overs for the cut scenes. CG Chandra looks a little rough.

The Eldrazi deck has some of that, like for It That Betrays. And there's one with a giant frog thing in Garruk's deck.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or are there a whole fucking lot of interstitial "go buy real Magic cards"-type ads in this? I don't remember that coming up constantly in the previous titles.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are there a whole fucking lot of interstitial "go buy real Magic cards"-type ads in this? I don't remember that coming up constantly in the previous titles.

It did exist in previously. But, if I recall, only when starting up and perhaps during loading screens.

Duels of the Planeswalkers is designed to basically be a Magic gateway drug, after all.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

It did though. All the time.

It's gotten worse each version of the game.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Double post

Seidkona on
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Is it me but this game just crams good cards into the AI? I am a new player to magic and thought I would give this a go. The tutorial( which should be simple) have that fire chick like every card to counter every single card I played. By turn 5 I had 2 life, 4 mana, 5 creatures I couldn't play and 2 artifacts I couldn't play. She had 32 life 14 mana and 5 creatures on the board. This was my last game after 5 tries? I'm doing it wrong?

Laonar on
  • Options
    Laonar wrote: »
    Is it me but this game just crams good cards into the AI? I am a new player to magic and thought I would give this a go. The tutorial( which should be simple) have that fire chick like every card to counter every single card I played. By turn 5 I had 2 life, 4 mana, 5 creatures I couldn't play and 2 artifacts I couldn't play. She had 32 life 14 mana and 5 creatures on the board. This was my last game after 5 tries? I'm doing it wrong?

You know, sometimes playing paper magic feels just like this too. I really don't think the AI is cheating.

Here's my biggest issue with magic and it always has been. I'm a very strategic and defensive player and I take to long to go ont he offense. A problem the AI and other players who are better don't have a problem with. Case in point, when I play with Arch he usually tramples me and it's because of my aforementioned weakness, mostly. Well that and the last time we played I was to lazy to build my deck out and ran with all the cards which was terrible. :p

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Yeah I lost the tutorial duel vs Chandra 2-3 times before beating it. Afterwards I went and swapped around some cards in the Red deck which seemed to help a bunch. Does the red deck have anything available to deal with enchantments?

BTW the deck manager has pretty horrid controls using the mouse. Need to check if there are keyboard shortcuts that would make it easier to navigate.

Also figuring out when I need to pause the timer to get instants off correctly keeps biting me in the ass.

Starting to get the hang of things though after not having played MTG in 10+ years. I actually had a Magic Online account. Wonder if it's worth the effort to figuring out and having access to it again(assuming it didn't get purged for inactivity or something).

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I did buy the game but due to life circumstances I only had about 10 minutes which amounted to me fighting part of a match with the AI.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Afterwards I went and swapped around some cards in the Red deck which seemed to help a bunch. Does the red deck have anything available to deal with enchantments?

Enchantment destruction tends to be limited to green and white. The best you could hope for is destroy target permanent.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    In DotP 2013, the stock decks were pretty one-note in my opinion, and playing against the AI led to a lot of "I don't have that in my deck, wtf!" moments. After you played and won 30 times, though, you'd unlock all of the extra cards for a deck and you could more easily match the AI's decks. The promo cards helped add a lot of good variety, too, so it wasn't just the same game every time. Also, I do believe it was confirmed that the AI has a set number of opening hands for each deck, but the rest of their deck is randomized. That's usually why you'd see the same moves from the AI out the gate, and why they often seemed to have the perfect card for a certain combination (because they did!). However, they can -- and do -- get land screwed, and honestly I'd rather have an AI that's challenging than an AI that I beat ruthlessly every time.

I'll probably just end up getting this on Steam at some point.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Apparently Geth likes Steam and MtG!

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Started out with the green deck. I was almost never happy to see that 3/3 reach that couldn't block land attacker. Mostly because the early decks you face have little to no flyers.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Apparently Geth likes Steam and MtG!

Or thinks it is spam. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Although i will say that the giant growth/lure (the one with the giant housecat) did some good work.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I played a few folks last night to get the chievo and the time based persona unlock. Almost all of them were playing Chant of Mul Daya (the Eldrazi deck). I felt bad because that deck just folds under fast decks. And I was drawing well with Avacyn's Glory. I like Chant of Mul Daya too, but the draws can be so so bad. I'm hoping that it evens out a little better with more unlocks.

I would also like to add that I LOVE that they added a "random deck" choice now. So much easier to play random AI opponents now.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    Started out with the green deck. I was almost never happy to see that 3/3 reach that couldn't block land attacker. Mostly because the early decks you face have little to no flyers.

Yeah I feel like those spiders area mixed bag. On the one hand I love them because their cost is decent and they give you something to press the pace with Prey Upons/hunt the weaks and all the creature enchantments, which I (currently) think this deck needs. But on the other hand, the lack of block has killed me a couple times.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    So had something odd happen last night that I'm wondering if it was a bug. Played Cone of Flame and then Reverberate which dupped the effects of the Cone of Flame. It let me assign the damage for the first one to three targets as well as the first two targets of the second incarnation but then the last one it would only let me assign it to myself or one of my creatures. I ended up killing my Magma Phoenix that caused 3 damage to every player and creature which turned out ok.

However was it supposed to work that way or was this just a bug? I'm thinking there may have been 4 creatures out of the board so it seem like with my Reverberate copy of Cone of Flame forced a different targets each of the 6 damage assignments rather than 3 different targets twice like I expected it to.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

It did though. All the time.

It's gotten worse each version of the game.

And it works. My bank statements last year are proof.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So had something odd happen last night that I'm wondering if it was a bug. Played Cone of Flame and then Reverberate which dupped the effects of the Cone of Flame. It let me assign the damage for the first one to three targets as well as the first two targets of the second incarnation but then the last one it would only let me assign it to myself or one of my creatures. I ended up killing my Magma Phoenix that caused 3 damage to every player and creature which turned out ok.

However was it supposed to work that way or was this just a bug? I'm thinking there may have been 4 creatures out of the board so it seem like with my Reverberate copy of Cone of Flame forced a different targets each of the 6 damage assignments rather than 3 different targets twice like I expected it to.

That definitely sounds like a targeting bug to me.

• Options
    Man, Eldrazi are ridiculous.

• Options
    edited June 2013

I like how you can very easily cast Primeval Titan on turn 4, and then enchant it with Eldrazi Conscription and swing for 16 on round 5.

I just wish it had any cards at all to deal with flying. My kingdom for a Silklash Spider!

Vic on
  • Options

It's due to the fact you have to target different things with cone of flame. You and your creatures are valid targets after all others are exhausted.

If there were more than 4 possible targets then reverberate caused both copies to count as one.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

I like how you can very easily cast Primeval Titan on turn 4, and then enchant it with Eldrazi Conscription and swing for 16 on round 5.

I just wish it had any cards at all to deal with flying. My kingdom for a Silklash Spider!

It's pretty good, though its lack of removal tools can get you in a lot of trouble if your draws aren't just right.

From reading stuff on the interwebs, the general consensus is that the Jace deck facerolls everything that's not Chandra, though I guess it's a bit early to start making tier lists.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Moridin889 wrote: »

It's due to the fact you have to target different things with cone of flame. You and your creatures are valid targets after all others are exhausted.

If there were more than 4 possible targets then reverberate caused both copies to count as one.

Expand the rulings on Reverberate info that I linked. Pretty certain what I saw is a bug. The second copy of Cone of Flame shouldn't have been constrained by the targets of the first and even if it was I should have had the option to retain the technically invalid target.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Expand the rulings on Reverberate info that I linked. Pretty certain what I saw is a bug. The second copy of Cone of Flame shouldn't have been constrained by the targets of the first and even if it was I should have had the option to retain the technically invalid target.

I would like to point out this is the same developers that had an effect on a creature kill underworld dreams for dealing players damage.

Plainly, they have some wacky targeting issues.

• Options
    Hey so how do the Planeswalker duels in campaign mode work? They aren't required to progress to the next chapter. Does it matter who I duel in each chapter?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Hey so how do the Planeswalker duels in campaign mode work? They aren't required to progress to the next chapter. Does it matter who I duel in each chapter?

It doesn't matter. Basically, completing a chapter gets you an invisible "token" that you can spend to unlock/duel a planeswalker. You can go to the duel screen from any chapter and spend any tokens you may have accumulated.

I recommend unlocking Jace first. His deck is ridiculously powerful.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    My gut feeling is that Jace and Avacyn are the strongest decks this time around.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'd like a Magic-game with free deckbuilding, like the old Pokemon TCG for Game Boy.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    I'd like a Magic-game with free deckbuilding, like the old Pokemon TCG for Game Boy.

I think WotC/Hasbro fears that if you can buy a single game just once to get a lot of cards and a lot different decks, people won't keep on spending money on the cards or Magic Online.

• Options
    My gut feeling is that Jace and Avacyn are the strongest decks this time around.

The game seems to be a lot more rock-paper-scissors this time around since the decks are so highly specialized. The Eldrazi and Sliver decks have absolutely no creatures that can block flying, a vast majority of the decks have no way to deal with artifacts or enchantments at all, many decks have no real creature removal, and so on.

That said I feel Jace is incredibly strong. I look forward to using Fiery Justice on him if I ever play him as the Slivers.