As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: The Gathering] Duels: Origins. A colon here, a colon there.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Bah, full on deckbuilding again.
    Words do not describe how confused I am. You say that like it is a bad thing.

Oh it was absolutely a bad thing for me.

I love playing magic, but I find deckbuilding extremely tedious and unfun. I barely put any time into 2015 because of this reason. It felt like you got so much less for your money.

I have 90+ hours each on both 2013 and 2014. And I still haven't unlocked all the cards for some of the decks. The previous format was exactly what I wanted out of magic. A cheap way to play decks that work without having to build or fiddle with them much myself.

I know I've said this before and it is in no way coming down on deckbuilding in general. Some folks, like a buddy of mine, love deckbuilding more than playing. It just happens to be the part of CCGs I dislike the most.

Just a shame that one of my favorite vidya games has turned its format away from what I enjoy is all.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    so how do i play the other play the other planeswalkers in storymode. I just beat Gideons story line but the rest are still locked.
    You have to make a deck and play an AI match.

Alternatively: don't.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    campaign was never that good in magic anyway and was never the real draw for me.

just doing it for the gold so i can make a playable deck for competitive which is when I will actually start to have fun. Might grease the wheels a little bit with 10 bucks or so depends on how much grind i can endure.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I seem to be the only one who actually liked the campaign, or at least bits of it.

I'd even go so far as to say that I wouldn't object if, at the start of each new block, the game got updated with a single new campaign introducing the block's basic plot and main characters. And their primary mechanics too, I guess.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I think that's almost a given that they'll give us more campaign stuff over time.

Although I wish that they would leave the bad 90's CGI at the office and instead just pan across some still art or something. Seriously. Wow. I'm pretty sure Starcraft had better cutscenes. Starcraft had pretty amazing cutscenes for its time, but it is 2015.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Bah, full on deckbuilding again.
    Words do not describe how confused I am. You say that like it is a bad thing.

Oh it was absolutely a bad thing for me.

I love playing magic, but I find deckbuilding extremely tedious and unfun. I barely put any time into 2015 because of this reason. It felt like you got so much less for your money.

I have 90+ hours each on both 2013 and 2014. And I still haven't unlocked all the cards for some of the decks. The previous format was exactly what I wanted out of magic. A cheap way to play decks that work without having to build or fiddle with them much myself.

I know I've said this before and it is in no way coming down on deckbuilding in general. Some folks, like a buddy of mine, love deckbuilding more than playing. It just happens to be the part of CCGs I dislike the most.

Just a shame that one of my favorite vidya games has turned its format away from what I enjoy is all.

Have you tried the deckbuilder wizards? It will let you create one of those preconstructed-style decks in like 60 seconds. It basically just keeps showing you a handful of cards within a theme at a time and you pick your favorites.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I seem to be the only one who actually liked the campaign, or at least bits of it.

I'd even go so far as to say that I wouldn't object if, at the start of each new block, the game got updated with a single new campaign introducing the block's basic plot and main characters. And their primary mechanics too, I guess.
    Compare it Hearthstone's single player stuff and it's a giant joke. I mean, you face some bullshit there too but at least you aren't saddled with a horrible deck.

I've beaten every campaign now except Chandra's. Like, I get it, the deck is supposed to use burn to make minions and get back your phoenix, but maybe some more burn instead of bad vanilla creatures?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've beaten every campaign now except Chandra's. Like, I get it, the deck is supposed to use burn to make minions and get back your phoenix, but maybe some more burn instead of bad vanilla creatures?

I managed to beat it purely thanks to a lucky draw and staying on the curve.

So many of the campaign missions are bullshit based more on lucky draws than actually using your toolbox tactically.

• Options
    Five tries in a row before I actually got into a versus game.

P2P matchmaking. :rotate:

• Options
    Of the three campaigns I feel Jace and Chandra is the worst.

Jace is only really bad in his first duel, since he's a mill deck without...milling. Oh, but he has a card that is basically useless until the final duel! After that is gets easier so longas you draw the Sphinx's Tutelages early enough.

Chandra is just a train wreck and her theme is extremely weak compared to everyone else. Gideon? Doesn't count since he very much a tutorial, but a weenie deck. Jace? Mill. Illiana? Zombie with a lot of graveyard interaction. Nissa? Zendikar land shenanigans. Chandra's theme of using burn to interaction with creatures is there but incredibly weak compared to other characters.

I'm all for more campaigns, and I imagine there will be more since this is going to be one of their main outlets for lore,but good god put more effort than like an hour into this. Even the few gimmicks fail to come across as even quarter-assed. Like...the Eldrazi duel was so fantastically silly.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Cobbled together a fun Thopter artifact deck with a dash of milling.
    • 1x Fiery Impulse (only one I got...)
    • 2x Runed Servitor
    • 4x Perilous Myr (excellent for taking out x/3 when blocking)
    • 4x Twin Bolt
    • 2x Esperzoa
    • 3x Chief of the Foundry
    • 3x Thopter Engineer
    • 2x Sphinx's Tutelage
    • 3x Artificer's Epiphany
    • 3x Whirler Rogue
    • 2x Aspiring Aeuronaut
    • 2x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    • 1x Reclusive Artificer (only have one, want more)
    • 2x Thopter Spy Network
    • 2x Willbreaker
    • 9x Island
    • 9x Mountain
    • 2x Sulfur Falls
    • 4x Izzet Guildgate

The Willbreaker is just there for some extra hilarity. Combos great with Whirler Rogue's ability to make an enemy creature unblockable by tapping two of your Thopters, which triggers Willbreaker so I now get control of the enemy creature. :rotate:

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Of the three campaigns I feel Jace and Chandra is the worst.

Jace is only really bad in his first duel, since he's a mill deck without...milling. Oh, but he has a card that is basically useless until the final duel! After that is gets easier so longas you draw the Sphinx's Tutelages early enough.

Chandra is just a train wreck and her theme is extremely weak compared to everyone else. Gideon? Doesn't count since he very much a tutorial, but a weenie deck. Jace? Mill. Illiana? Zombie with a lot of graveyard interaction. Nissa? Zendikar land shenanigans. Chandra's theme of using burn to interaction with creatures is there but incredibly weak compared to other characters.

I'm all for more campaigns, and I imagine there will be more since this is going to be one of their main outlets for lore,but good god put more effort than like an hour into this. Even the few gimmicks fail to come across as even quarter-assed. Like...the Eldrazi duel was so fantastically silly.

I think you're simplifying Jace's and Chandra's decks a little bit. Jace's deck starts as a not horrible blue evasive creature deck and that's how I went through the first two rounds. It transitions to a more mill focused deck later on. Chandra's I agree is weird as shit. It feels like it's trying to be super fast aggro burn but has too few cheap burn and then slots creatures like Fire Elemental or that "destroy an artifact" guy. There are much better choices even in this game. Not fond that her final fight involves a bunch of fuck red creatures.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Gawd, why can't they just disable damage effects by default in multiplayer.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Here is another option for those on consoles:

Any card game recommendations for mobile phones?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Trying to get the Acolyte of the Inferno achievement (in Chandra's campaign deal 10 damage to an opponent with instants and sorceries).

I'm trying to get it in last fight against Captain Whatshisface and it's not going well. First I discovered that Chandra's Ignition doesn't count towards the 10 damage, because it's the creature that does the damage and not the sorcery. Then another one of my efforts was thwarted when I failed to draw the necessary burn spells before my opponent decked himself.

You'd think this cheevo would be relatively easy to get with a mono-red deck, but no.

• Options
    I cannot believe you would recommend Yugioh in this, the Magic the Gathering thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    And shit is down again. This has been a cavalcade of mediocrity.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    This has been a cavalcade of mediocrity.

dunno, I have learned a new word so it kind of evens out for me.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I cannot believe you would recommend Yugioh in this, the Magic the Gathering thread.

I'm in the mood for hyphens.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Duels stuff.

Lovely netcode, huh? Finished the campaign, working on getting a couple of decent decks together from the base deckbox plus boosters. Haven't got much yet.

...been playing more paper magic. I built far too many decks there, only been playing since just before the origins prerelease, too. ;_;

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Re: Deck Building being a bad thing.

I loved all of the Duels prior to 2015 because of the decks that were all there and ready to go.
    I loved rocking the B/U artifacts and B/W exalted decks in 2012.
    As well as the mono-G Eldrazi, B/U Reanimator and Izzet Burn in 2014.
    I was always hoping they would add in a B/U Ninjitsu deck since they had it in one of the DLC campaigns.

2015 and Origins have no decks that can even come close to the deck diversity of the other games and it is specifically because of deck building.
    2014 was the closest thing to what I wanted from Duels. The ability to add and subtract from your deck with a limited pool of cards only for that deck.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    While I agree that a limited pool for a deck is good for keeping a level playing field, building your own deck from scratch is also incredibly rewarding for some people. But it does open things up for cheese.

I liked the sealed pool option in 2014.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Personally if I were setting things up, I'd keep the deck building. Only instead of giving you a pile of cards as your starting pool, I'd give you a pile of the preconstructed decks from the earlier duels games.

That way you could grab a deck and jump into playing or build one from scratch if you prefer. Either way, you could upgrade the decks with the boosters you win.

As for diversity problems in 2015 and origins, that is NOT a problem caused by deckbuilding instead of precon decks. That's a tiny card pool problem. At least it will ultimately be resolved in origins as the add new sets every few months.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I don't think the problem is deck-building, so much as it is that the decks you can build from the starter cards are SO BAD. If you don't open some good cards in your first few packs that you can build around, ... well, like I said, I think the only viable decks you could construct are elves and Boros aggro.

I mean, when people get into Magic now, they don't just buy random packs. They buy the preconstructed decks, so they can hit the ground running. Maybe they should have done a thing where, when you finish all the campaigns, you get to choose a preconstructed deck to start with?

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    I don't think the problem is deck-building, so much as it is that the decks you can build from the starter cards are SO BAD. If you don't open some good cards in your first few packs that you can build around, ... well, like I said, I think the only viable decks you could construct are elves and Boros aggro.

See, I'm not particularly happy with the decks I have now, but is it because I suck or because my current card pool sucks?

And I have no way of knowing.

• Options
    So, if they want ranked games to actually mean something, why the heck am I playing an AI if the other guy bails?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    So, if they want ranked games to actually mean something, why the heck am I playing an AI if the other guy bails?

well, sometimes people online will bail too quickly due to limited time and wanting to hit the gold cap I guess? I have lost matches to the AI a couple of times because way better decks gambled on marginal starting hands with low mana, did not get the steamroll off-the-top and went looking for easier prey.

they still get credited with a loss afaik so it is a min-max thing.

edit: Geth is investigating how AI wins. eep.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    in unrelated news my pool has kind of forced me into B/R and I had completely forgotten what a beauty creatures like Bloodflow Conoisseurs are.

Even when you no longer can put damage on the stack.

• Options
    I'm fine with people quitting a losing game so they can get into the next one.

But why am I stuck fighting an AI to not lose ranking myself?

• Options
    Isn't there an actual concede match button?

Not sure why "Quit Match" isn't functionally equivalent to that.

• Options
    Yeah, concede means "other guy plays an AI now".

• Options
    Yeah, concede means "other guy plays an AI now".

.....I want to say that's incredibly badly thought out but I also want to say it's par for the course.

Sadly, I still think this years is better than 2015's.

• Options
    I don't really see the problem.

either you are 1-2 turns out from winning the game anyways or your opponent was stupid and conceded too soon and now you have to fight a less stupid version of your opponent.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »

either you are 1-2 turns out from winning the game anyways or your opponent was stupid and conceded too soon and now you have to fight a less stupid version of your opponent.

I didn't join MP queue to play robots, and in magic a concession is a win.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    scherbchen wrote: »

I didn't join MP queue to play robots, and in magic a concession is a win.

well opponent disconnects is a win.

that is the way I view it. the extra turn or two (or, as I said it has happened to me, the AI defeat) is just going through the motions.

less exciting, sure. but at this point we are just haggling over whether or not you got your points and how much time it took.

just like for the guy who conceded.

• Options
    goddamn you RNGesus

zff35ns0x8f0.jpg

• Options
    At least when you start out with a no-Land hand and then mulligan into another no-Land hand and then into another one and another one... Well, at least you won't have wasted much time before conceding.

• Options
    Sixteen cards down, twelve lands.

And I started with five on hand because I didn't want to mulligan down to six and what are the odds of drawing more lands

cvG4Lis.jpg

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    That's the inherent flaw in Magic and in any other CCG that separates resources from the stuff you actually use to win. The system Scrolls uses for example is so much better, sacrifice a card to get a resource of that color or sacrifice a card to get two cards, keeps the action flowing constantly. Now all we need is Magic-style gameplay with Scrolls type resource mechanics. :?

• Options
    There's Spellweaver that has an interesting take on resources. Cards have a mana cost and a resource level, where resources are the equivalent of Magic colors. The resource cards have two options - you can either increase your resource level by one, or increase your mana by one and draw a card. (The mana works like in Hearthstone.)