As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo's Famed Support

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I think my Wii is shot. It gets extremely hot while running WiiConnect24, so I shut that down. Now it freezes and crashes while I'm playing a game and its a 50/50 shot if it will even load the game when you select it from the main menu. Sometimes it just stays at that black screen before the safety screen.

Its a launch Wii, so I'm way out of warranty and the Nintendo site says it'll be $75 for repair, though they do toss in a year warranty with it.

If I call support, what are my chances they'll repair for free? Or since WiiU is coming out am I better off just waiting till that hits and replace it? Is this possibly related to the graphical glitch from way back when the Wii would get too hot? Could I get them to repair it under that?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Nintendo's support is great, but I doubt they would fix it for free. Especially out of warranty.

Here's their repair site:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/lookup/repairs/warrantyLookup.do

Honestly, depending on costs you might just be better off waiting for the Wii U.

Edit: Though you could always call and see. They could surprise us.

Edit 2: This also probably would've been better for the Help/Advice forum, BTW.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    If you're out of warranty, there's little to no chance you'll get a free repair out of it.

But $75 is cheap considering they give you a year warranty and turnaround service is fast as fuck.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Personally I'd say wait for WiiU myself. If you can still run the Wii long enough to transfer everything over to WiiU, and you're planning on getting a WiiU, no sense in spending the extra $75 for like 3-5 months worth of system life. There aren't even that many games coming in that time IIRC.

But that's just me :) Their support is pretty good though, but yeah, I wouldn't expect a free repair this long out of warranty.

Edit: BTW, yeah, I turned off 24Connect personally because my Wii was always super hot in the "off" state and I was worried about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it overheated because of that.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Personally I'd say wait for WiiU myself. If you can still run the Wii long enough to transfer everything over to WiiU, and you're planning on getting a WiiU, no sense in spending the extra $75 for like 3-5 months worth of system life. There aren't even that many games coming in that time IIRC.

But that's just me :) Their support is pretty good though, but yeah, I wouldn't expect a free repair this long out of warranty.

But spending that $75 at least means you'll have a usable system to give away to someone or sell.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

But spending that $75 at least means you'll have a usable system to give away to someone or sell.

I suppose that's true, but how much would you get for it? Especially with it being obsolete at that point? I know GameStop for sure would rip you off.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2012

I suppose that's true, but how much would you get for it? Especially with it being obsolete at that point? I know GameStop for sure would rip you off.

At least $50, I would imagine. $75-$100 depending on included accessories and games.

Also, never, ever trade in anything to Gamestop ever. Ever.

Personally I plan on giving my Wii to my girlfriend, who will use it as Netflix/Hulu box mainly, with some random gaming here and there.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

At least $50, I would imagine. $75-$100 depending on included accessories and games.

Personally I plan on giving my Wii to my girlfriend, who will use it as Netflix/Hulu box mainly, with some random gaming here and there.

It honestly depends on the price of the Wii when the Wii U is released. If it drops to $99, then you'll be lucky to see any more than $50 for trade in.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Yeah but those accessories and games are usable on WiiU, so you wouldn't want to trade them in :P I suppose if you were giving it to someone, maybe, otherwise I doubt you'd recoup the $75 repair fee, or at best, come out even.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Alright, well a call can't hurt. I may just wait out for a WiiU price because that will determine if $75 + s/h/tax is worth it. I've seen new ones for not much more, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

It honestly depends on the price of the Wii when the Wii U is released. If it drops to $99, then you'll be lucky to see any more than $50 for trade in.

Who said anything about trade in? Sell that sucker outright.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

Who said anything about trade in? Sell that sucker outright.

I must've missed that second sentance for some reason. :/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    benholiobenholio Registered User regular
    You can get a refurbished Wii for 79.99 at Gamestop if you don't feel like sending yours in for repair.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Get something like this to make it last you until the WiiU comes out.

• Options

Or you can go with the official Nintendo Cooling Fan for $4.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular

I can't find any evidence that an official cooling fan exists, but whatever as long as it works.

• Options

I can't find any evidence that an official cooling fan exists, but whatever as long as it works.

You're right. It probably isn't official.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    benholio wrote: »
    You can get a refurbished Wii for 79.99 at Gamestop if you don't feel like sending yours in for repair.

Then you'll lose any purchased items.

FU7kFbw.png