As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pros and cons of a Roku box

ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Been thinking about grabbing one of these for a while. But we've recently cut the cable in my house to save a few bucks and now I'm thinking about it more seriously.

Do you any of you use one or have any kind of experience with them? They seem to be a pretty good deal, but I'm not exactly sure how much of the content is free and how much would be premium. As I'm looking to save money in the long run, I'm not interested in buying the box and then having to buy even more things to make it useful.

I already have Netflix and Hulu Plus, so I know I'll be using those, but I'm also interested in the UFC and what kind of content their UFC app offers.

Any help would be great.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
ChillyWilly on

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The UFC App almost assuredly has to be similar to the one on Xbox. The PPV's can be ordered through it. They have a free fight or two at times but it's mostly countdown vids, interviews, etc...The kind of stuff you get on their web site.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I use a Roku 2 and I really like it. You can look at some of the channels you can download on their website. On mine I have Hulu, Netflix, Roku Newscaster which has free content from BBC/NPR/PRI/ESPN/CNN/Al Jazeera/NASA/you name it, Pandora, Vimeo, Weather Underground, Tune In (Radio from all over the world) and the NHL channel, but no Subscription so I don't get a lot of use out of it. The one downside is that it doesn't have Youtube.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    One thing to consider is that PlayOn is offering a free Roku HD with a lifetime sub. Would let you get some more channels. See here

I've never actually used a Roku, so I don't have any knowledge there.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    The one downside is that it doesn't have Youtube.

Roku has youtube - it's a very rudimentary channel, but it works just fine

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Unless it's been fixed, the Youtube channel was not an official one, and was yanked last time I checked

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    I use mine with the Plex media server from my desktop, and it's awesome.