As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Applying for a new job (many questions)

LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been looking for a new job using online job hunting sites like Indeed and Career Builder. I try and apply to 2 job minimum a week, even if they are things that I don't really want, as long as they pay equal to or better than what I am making now because I absolutely HATE my job. I've been looking and applying for about 3-4 months now and almost never get a call back. I've been wondering if it's something I'm doing or not doing that's causing me to not get called back. I generally apply via the "apply now" button on Indeed or Career Builder, I fill out a short cover letter and fill out any surveys they have. Is there more I should be doing? Should I be calling them or stopping by the office or something? If so, how long do I wait after applying online before reaching out to the company? I really need a new job ASAP because I'm about 30 seconds away from quitting my job.

Lankysean on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Are you qualified for these jobs? Do you live in an area where there are lots of other qualified people? Have you had your resume proofread to make sure you are not overlooking some horrible errors? Are you writing serious cover letters about why you want the job and not just pasting in a form letter?

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Well, two jobs a week in today's economy is not enough. Two jobs a day would be more in line with actual effort (while you're working). Career builder is a bit of a dumping ground for companies trying to comply with standards (ie, you have to list a job even if you have someone already lined up for it).

I've had more luck looking into city specific job sites, and craigslist can have some nice opportunities but you have to be diligent about not getting scammed.

Further advice would kind of necessitate knowing what your field is and experience level. If you're in or close to a major metro area, obviously that will help as well because they're more likely to have specific city-wide job sites.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    supabeast wrote: »
    Are you qualified for these jobs? Do you live in an area where there are lots of other qualified people? Have you had your resume proofread to make sure you are not overlooking some horrible errors? Are you writing serious cover letters about why you want the job and not just pasting in a form letter?

I live in NJ so there are a lot of people around. I'm qualified, at least I think I am. Example, I applied at the Verizon store and I have about 4 years of experience selling Verizon cell phones and another 3 years selling other types of phones. I've had my Resume read over by a few people and I'd been improved a few times but I suppose it never hurts to get more eyes on a resume. As for the cover letters, I will generally write a new cover letter for each position or at least modify a cover letter I've used for other very similar positions. When I applied for AT&T and Verizon I used the same basic cover letter but edited to included specifics about each company. I don't know, maybe I'm just a loser or something.