As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Richard wrote: »
    I guess they would have to find a good way to implement powerful single characters into the game. I never got to try the heroes in Shogun II (only played 3 short campaigns) so I am not sure how powerful those are.

They're not as comical as heroes were in the original Shogun (I think), but they're pretty awesome novelties and can actually be used to great effect the same way an elite unit of yari samurai can change even a large scale battle potentially. And their animations are vicious...watching Tome Gozen Heroines throttle enemy monks with their spears over the neck never gets old.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Battle of Teutoburg Forest trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7fqb3cPPfuM
    In 9AD, Teutoburg Forest was the scene of a crushing defeat for the Empire. Masterminded by Arminius, the son of a Germanic chieftain taken as a child and raised as a hostage in Rome, the battle saw his betrayal of the Roman general Varus.

Arminius united the tribes, ambushed Varus’ Legion and struck a fatal and shattering blow to the Empire’s expansion.

Teutoburg Forest features as a playable historical battle in Total War: ROME II, and demonstrates some of the game’s thrilling new features, including our true line-of-sight system, deployable battlefield technology, and our tense new style of ambush scenarios.

Factions and Campaign

8 playable Factions
    Barbarian Tribes will try to unite with other tribes
    This is possible trough
    War
    Diplomacy
    Gaining respect by winning battles and Wars, so they join you

When taht happens, you can form a Nation
    Suebi will transform to Germans
    Averni will transform to Gauls
    Iceni will transform to Britons

AI will try to unite the tribes as well
    they want be sucessful all the time
    campgain will end after 300 Years (early Emprie time)
    There will be short and long Campgains

Roman Politics

Three Roman familes with for the Power in the Senat
    You can send members of enemy familes into the field with som they get weakend in the Senat. But if they are sucessfull in Field they will gain Power and an Army.. might end with a Push for Rome to claim the Empire
    you can bring loyal Members of your family into the Senat so you have more Power
    By achiving Missions you get Influence in the Senat
    if you are to sucessful, Senat will get suspicios
    Assasins can kill Senat Members
    in a Civil War, the Empire can be founded
    but the Citizens will be unhappy about it = civil unrest
    Other Factions will have an Council

Research

Reserarch will be like in Shogun 2
    three kinds: Army, Economy and Community

Diplomacy

No more Diplomats
    Diplomacy over usualy Windows like ins S2
    You can ask you allies to attack at a certain city or spot
    but the Ai will only do it if possible, for example they wont pull troops from endangered Regions
    Religions is gonna be important to keep you people happy

Armies
    Ever Force has a Sign and a Traditions

Traditions will give Armies Traits
    for Example, if an army does a lot of Sieges, it well get better at it.
    Traits will stay, even if an army gets wiped

Every army need a general now
    Troops can only be recruited from the Region it is in.
    Armies move over water automaticly
    They will stop for one turn to build ships

Enemy ships cant be take and used by yourself
    Armys have different Modes now
    Offensiv: More movement points
    Defensiv: bigger block radius for enemy armies
    Abush: will try to ambush enemy armies
    armies get points to build defense if they stay in the same spot longer (they gain pionts)

if you change the mode, the army will have wait one turn

Battles

You dont have the destroy the enemy in a Battle. their are objectives in every battle
    In sieges you need to hold Zones
    in field battles you need to conquest the enemy deploy zone. and defend your Zone

Ai can lead part of you armies if you want to.

Prisca on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'm glad people aren't bitching about this stuff here as they are at TW center.

One tidbit from those forums: In land battles, defenders have a spot a little like sieges that they defend. This was done so the AI has a defined goal in what to do in a battle.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    TW Center is a great place to find mods but the general discussion there is absolutely atrocious. Full of some of the worst people I've ever seen on a gaming forum.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    This just sounds better and better! :D

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Sorta iffy with the idea of localized objectives in field battles. Isn't the point not to take a hill but to wipe out the enemy?

Love everything else I'm seeing though. Hopefully they can deliver.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Actually, very often (I'd even say most often) taking ground and key locations is the objective in military actions. Destroying the enemy is secondary at best, especially if taking that ground will lead to or help you destroy the enemy.

Capturing a hill to give yourself a better avenue of attack, securing a bridge, capturing a water supply, holding a key mountain pass, etc. All could be more important tactically and/or strategically than just killing lots of enemy soldiers... especially if it leads to you killing lots of enemy soldiers without endangering your own.

Sun Tzu on terrain: http://suntzusaid.com/book/10

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical. If it is to your advantage, make a forward move"

Fleeb on
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Yes, the way entire armies are routinely wiped out in the TW series is a bit ahistorical. Typically battles were fought over important terrain, objectives, cities, supply lines, etc,

Some armies were wiped out to a man, but that was more an exception than a rule, I'd say.

TW doesn't really have supply lines, so that aspect is abstracted out entirely.
    6. The more you issue a command, I.E repeatedly right clicking, there more your soldiers take it as an "urgent" command, and will follow the order regardless of enemies or mass, but at increased risk of casualties.

As someone who right clicks about a thousand times for every command I issue, this could take some getting used to :D

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Why only eight factions? I hated how empire didnt let you choose a minor nation to play as. Just let me play as who ever, eu3 style.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Why only eight factions? I hated how empire didnt let you choose a minor nation to play as. Just let me play as who ever, eu3 style.

Probably a balance thing with the traditionally ultra-aggressive Total War AI. In EU3, you have diplomatic possibilities as a small nation, in Total War your options are "Be Attacked By All The AI I'm Not Allied With" or "Be Attacked By All The AI I AM Allied With For No Reason".

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    New stuff sounds pretty exciting! I'm iffy on the objective battles too (in open terrain) but it won't make that big of a difference I imagine. It'll just help the AI.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

If Shogun 2 is anything to go by, it's because they'll sell those other factions as DLC. On one hand, it does give them a lot more time to work on each individual faction but on the other, it's going to cost even more money.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Probably a balance thing with the traditionally ultra-aggressive Total War AI. In EU3, you have diplomatic possibilities as a small nation, in Total War your options are "Be Attacked By All The AI I'm Not Allied With" or "Be Attacked By All The AI I AM Allied With For No Reason".

Many minor factions in an EU game are way harder than anything in a Total War game. Some of them are basically all luck, with a 90% you will lose instantly. You can pick any faction in any Total War game and blitz your enemies for easy conquests.

Prior to Empire, though, there was no real grounds for complaints, as you could simply open a text file in the game folder and manually move the unplayable factions into the playable list. Even the Pope (very fun to play). In more recent games, though, it requires actual modding to play minor factions, which is unacceptable.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Its so they can sell the unavailable factions as DLC probably.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Parthia has been revealed; one left to go.

700px-ParthiaRoyalCataphracts.png
    “Tolerance, justice, profit”

The ascension to power of Arsaces, leader of the Parni tribe, assured them victory against the Seleucid protectorate of Parthava, who had been weakened in their attempts to break free of Greco-Macedonian rule. Thus began the rise of Parthia, an eastern empire comparable to the Achaemenid dynasty of old and one of the few who came close to matching the power and wealth of Rome.

A confederation of tribes, Parthia is famed for its horses, nomadic horse-archers and heavy cavalry, the latter developing distinctive bronze or iron scaled armour which covers both horse and rider. For its infantry it relies on ethnic Persian/Iranian hillmen, spear and skirmisher units and sometimes mercenaries, armed and drilled in the Seleucid fashion.

Blending Persian, Hellenistic and local cultures, Parthia’s religious practices and philosophies include veneration of both Greek and Iranian Gods, and the practice of Zoroastrianism. Over time, a noble elite has developed, holding key areas of agricultural land upon which the economy is based, while trade via the emerging Silk Road enables its agents to move easily throughout the ancient world.

As an Eastern faction, Parthia profits from the rich heritage established by the Persian Empire both in its capacity for trade and in its cultural strength. A degree of tolerance for foreign cultures further eases Parthian conquest of new lands, but their Zoroastrian practices mean an aversion to slavery, which is detrimental to both the economy and to public order. In battle, their great marksmanship and mastery of cavalry makes them a force to be reckoned with when fighting on open ground.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Parthia_Faction

• Options
    Medieval II didn't grab me the same way Rome and later Shogun 2 did, I think in large part because I felt like it lacked a sense of scale and grandness. Though I know many people who preferred it for the variety.

• Options
    I think Medieval II was where the series started having game breaking bugs. Like...British 2h infantry dealing literally zero damage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Many minor factions in an EU game are way harder than anything in a Total War game. Some of them are basically all luck, with a 90% you will lose instantly. You can pick any faction in any Total War game and blitz your enemies for easy conquests.

Prior to Empire, though, there was no real grounds for complaints, as you could simply open a text file in the game folder and manually move the unplayable factions into the playable list. Even the Pope (very fun to play). In more recent games, though, it requires actual modding to play minor factions, which is unacceptable.

Why?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Because everything should be free and open source and companies shouldn't make any money and blowjobs grow on trees.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I will admit, Parthia? I was hoping for Egypt and Seleucids. However, Seleucid empire should make a great boss nation for Parthia players, so I guess the challenge makes it worth it.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Medieval II didn't grab me the same way Rome and later Shogun 2 did, I think in large part because I felt like it lacked a sense of scale and grandness. Though I know many people who preferred it for the variety.

There were features I liked but I just didn't have fun with so many units that were just one slight stat point better than their previous iteration. It made replenishing units a pain.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular

There were features I liked but I just didn't have fun with so many units that were just one slight stat point better than their previous iteration. It made replenishing units a pain.

Having the pope and crusades to deal with really made the game enjoyable for me. I just with the strategy map AI wasn't so terrible.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    Because everything should be free and open source and companies shouldn't make any money and blowjobs grow on trees.

They sure made even one cent by not having Bavaria or the Mughuls as playable in Empire and Napoleon: Total War. What sort of lunatic wants less value in their games and encourages the sort of sloppy laziness CA is notorious for?

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options

Certain mechanics were kind of stupid. But I suppose that happens with every game (though Shogun II is very strong in this area).

Princesses were cool, but they weren't going to make or break the game.

On a side note, Shogun II is also one of my favorite demonstrations of completely optional DLC content--namely, aside from very nice campaign packs, the heroes/specialized unit DLC is absolutely brilliant, great for the price (just a few dollars) and extremely well done for something that is totally optional.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Certain mechanics were kind of stupid. But I suppose that happens with every game (though Shogun II is very strong in this area).

Shogun 2 definitely felt very tightly focused. It and Empire did do away with one of my favorite aspects of the previous games though, the various traits your generals and agents would accrue. It's much more balanced to not have generals randomly get bonus command stars for being lucky with their RNG rolls, but I miss having a cadre of generals that had severe anger issues from hanging out near so many temples to Mars or other quirks, especially after having spent so much time with Crusader Kings 2 which is all about what kind of weird bonuses your characters pick up.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2013

They sure made even one cent by not having Bavaria or the Mughuls as playable in Empire and Napoleon: Total War. What sort of lunatic wants less value in their games and encourages the sort of sloppy laziness CA is notorious for?

I think you're confused if you think I actively wish for/encourage "less value" in my games instead of just understanding that DLC is a model that is here to stay. Whatever you may think, CA games provide a ton of content and then they sell extraneous stuff that isn't crucial to the main game, and I'll take that over basically every other form of DLC out there, especially considering how absolutely shitty so many companies are about it. Saying "they're lazy" for not making every faction playable is maybe the only leg you have to stand on, but there are always throwaway factions and the games don't lose out because bumfuck nowhere isn't playable as a civilization. They have development times and deadlines to meet just like any other company does, and I'd thinking filling the game with the most meaningful content/factions is probably priority.

This is the special brand of crazy that keeps me away from the TW Center forums.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options

I think you're confused if you think I actively wish for/encourage "less value" in my games instead of just understanding that DLC is a model that is here to stay. Whatever you may think, CA games provide a ton of content and then they sell extraneous stuff that isn't crucial to the main game, and I'll take that over basically every other form of DLC out there, especially considering how absolutely shitty so many companies are about it.

There is no faction DLC in Empire or Napoleon: Total War.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013

I think you're confused if you think I actively wish for/encourage "less value" in my games instead of just understanding that DLC is a model that is here to stay. Whatever you may think, CA games provide a ton of content and then they sell extraneous stuff that isn't crucial to the main game, and I'll take that over basically every other form of DLC out there, especially considering how absolutely shitty so many companies are about it.

There is no faction DLC in Empire or Napoleon: Total War.

No shit. Read the rest of my post. It's about more than factions in two games.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Shogun 2 definitely felt very tightly focused. It and Empire did do away with one of my favorite aspects of the previous games though, the various traits your generals and agents would accrue. It's much more balanced to not have generals randomly get bonus command stars for being lucky with their RNG rolls, but I miss having a cadre of generals that had severe anger issues from hanging out near so many temples to Mars or other quirks, especially after having spent so much time with Crusader Kings 2 which is all about what kind of weird bonuses your characters pick up.

My "problem" is that, for some reason, it seems like 80% - 90% of my generals in M2 ended up as hard-drinking gay men. It got to the point where I was, all, "Really? Another one? I need some heirs here, people."

• Options
    edited March 2013
    No shit. Read the rest of my post.

Your post has nothing relevant to say. They never released "locked" factions as paid DLC, and removed the easy non-modding method make them playable, requiring mods. Which, of course, take time to be developed and distributed, especially in such unfriendly games as the Total War series, post Empire.

It sounds like you just wanted an excuse to go on a rant about how much you love paying for DLC, which has little to nothing to do with my original comment. I wasn't talking about DLC and I don't care to. If you aren't talking about what I was talking about, perhaps you shouldn't post incendiary responses in the first place.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I would argue that changing the content of a game file IS modifying the game, even if it's something as easy as editing a text file.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Let's only talk specifically about what xDisruptorX2x wants to talk about, god forbid something relate to what he's saying. DLC and mods including faction unlocking (even pre-Empire modding) are related. If you don't want to talk about it, that's fine, don't talk. You don't dictate what other people talk about, even if it's not directly related to whatever original comments you made.

On to things that actually matter - I hope they strike a nice balance in Rome 2 between the scale of the older games and the focus of the new ones. When playing something like Empire I find myself wishing it was a bit tighter, less sprawling, like more regions actually mattered, and when I'm playing Shogun 2 I find myself wanting the more open nature of older games (which they couldn't really do since they were just in Japan).

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    I would argue that changing the content of a game file IS modifying the game, even if it's something as easy as editing a text file.

I'd call that tweaking really. I think modding now refers to a more considerable alteration of the game. Either wholly new content or old content implemented in a new way.

I think a smaller number of factions is good. Medieval and particularly Empire felt too sprawling. Everything was spread so thin and it was hard to keep track of the meta game, especially in Empire with the New World being essentially a whole other mission unto itself.

Which is to say nothing of the fidelity of these units. You can't have three dozen factions with all unique units when the models for these units are reaching action game quality, let alone RTS quality.

I don't know much about modelling things for video games but that's gotta be a lot more monkeys sitting at shinier than ever typewriters, I guess.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

I think you're confused if you think I actively wish for/encourage "less value" in my games instead of just understanding that DLC is a model that is here to stay. Whatever you may think, CA games provide a ton of content and then they sell extraneous stuff that isn't crucial to the main game, and I'll take that over basically every other form of DLC out there, especially considering how absolutely shitty so many companies are about it. Saying "they're lazy" for not making every faction playable is maybe the only leg you have to stand on, but there are always throwaway factions and the games don't lose out because bumfuck nowhere isn't playable as a civilization. They have development times and deadlines to meet just like any other company does, and I'd thinking filling the game with the most meaningful content/factions is probably priority.

This is the special brand of crazy that keeps me away from the TW Center forums.

There are many special brands of crazy that give good reasons to stay away from the TW Center forums. A large number of them involve hats.

But yeah, Total War games are not the place for small nation gameplay. It just doesn't work with the options supplied and time spent on them would be wasteful.

I'll also agree that I'm hoping they find a better balance on scale. I could never get into Shogun II because it felt too rigid and railroaded (god I HATED the stupid endgame "WAR EVERYWHERE!1!!" bullshit) while Empire was overwhelming (combined with buggy and poorly balanced when I played it).

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    From Medieval onwards there was certainly feature creep. Empire was probably worse than Shogun 2 though, mainly because of the fragmentation of the world map. Lacked coherency.

• Options
    It's fine with me if they don't include Egypt in RTW II. In the original RTW the egyptian units were all hilariously ahistorical for the time period.

Parthia was actually a pretty big deal. (See battle of Carrhae)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Has anyone played Rome: Total Realism or Europa Barbarorum? Any good?

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular

Both are fantastic (or were 4 years ago). If you are playing the old Rome withOUT one of those I think you're missing big time.

• Options
    Gabriel94Gabriel94 Costa RicaRegistered User regular
    I actually miss the extra in Rome Total War where you were able to view your city, I wonder when did they eliminate it.

• Options
    Massena wrote: »

Both are fantastic (or were 4 years ago). If you are playing the old Rome withOUT one of those I think you're missing big time.

Cool. All this RTW2 talk is making me want to lead legions into battle and I doubt my computer will be able to play RTW2.

This discussion has been closed.