As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Training for a Marathon

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
After running a half marathon last November (1:57:00 time) I decided to really challenge myself and do a marathon. This is something I NEVER thought I would even think of doing, but the same could have been said about the half. I'm doing the Walt Disney one in January, so it should be fun, and I have plenty of time to prepare.

So any tips for a first time marathoner? I'm thinking of going with Hal Higden's training plan, as that worked pretty well for my Half training. I am mainly shooting for completion, but a nice time (which I have no idea what it would be) would definitely be a plus.

Kyougu on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Kyougu wrote:
    After running a half marathon last November (1:57:00 time) I decided to really challenge myself and do a marathon. This is something I NEVER thought I would even think of doing, but the same could have been said about the half. I'm doing the Walt Disney one in January, so it should be fun, and I have plenty of time to prepare.

So any tips for a first time marathoner? I'm thinking of going with Hal Higden's training plan, as that worked pretty well for my Half training. I am mainly shooting for completion, but a nice time (which I have no idea what it would be) would definitely be a plus.

I probably was somebody who pushed higdon's half mara on you, and i read his book and used his plan and liked it.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Most important thing is to actually train! Get out for consistently longer runs between now and December, as you should spend the 3-4 weeks before the marathon tapering. That means that your longest run (22+ miles) should be 4 weeks before the marathon, and you then run shorter distances with a couple 3-5 milers the week of.

The other thing to keep in mind is calorie usage. Many people find it hard to eat real food while running, and your body will do funny things to normal food during a marathon, so you should find a calorie solution that works for you. I use Clif Shot Bloks, which are chewy and taste good (I use Margarita flavor which also has some saltiness along with the sweet), but others use Gu or other packets. You should incorporate them into any training run greater than 5 miles so you get used to eating while on the run.

Wear a watch to figure out your pace. To start, work out your average, and then move to keep a more consistent pace throughout the run. You're going to be faster at the start than at the end, but you have to make sure you don't start too strong. Starting a marathon is exciting and the adrenaline will take you to about mile 13, but afterwards it is mentally tough as each mile feels longer than the last.

If you ran a half marathon, you can definitely train and finish a marathon, but it's hard work and you definitely need to take it seriously. I think you have a history of good stick-with-it-ness, so I definitely think you can finish and with a good time.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    i don't have specific training advice (i think basically anything works- if you're putting in the right amount of mileage and you get adequate rest, you can complete) but i have some general etiquette stuff you might have learned from your half mara:

-don't try and keep anyone else's pace; keep your pace
    -a lot of people toss off sweatshirts (or even gloves) or whatever after the start... this might not be a thing for you in FL, but if you do it and you're not in the back of the pack, toss it well off to the side
    -if you're using energy gels or beans or anything, try and shove the packets in your waist band; don't toss them on the course
    -if you need to loiter at water spots, be out of the way

competitive time is up to you. a 20-something hobbyist who is trying for time would probably be happy with anything under 4. boston qualifying is, i think, 3:10. nyc qualifying is 2:55? maybe 2:45?

plenty of people finish in 6+, but i'd say if you want to put out a 'good' first marathon time anything under 4 hours would probably get a hearty pat on the back from other runners.

Organichu on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Thanks guy.

So I'm looking at Hal's plan, and apart from the long runs, the mileage during the week seems a bit lower than what I'm currently running.
    My running schedule usually looks like this:

Tues: 7 Mile Run
    Wed: 30min High Intensity Training
    Thurs: 7 Miles again
    Fri: 30 Min High Intensity
    Sunday: 9-11 Mile run (Texas summer sap my will right now).

If I increase the long run, and one of the weekly runs as mentioned in the plan, will it mess me up?

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Most important thing is to actually train! Get out for consistently longer runs between now and December, as you should spend the 3-4 weeks before the marathon tapering. That means that your longest run (22+ miles) should be 4 weeks before the marathon, and you then run shorter distances with a couple 3-5 milers the week of.

The other thing to keep in mind is calorie usage. Many people find it hard to eat real food while running, and your body will do funny things to normal food during a marathon, so you should find a calorie solution that works for you. I use Clif Shot Bloks, which are chewy and taste good (I use Margarita flavor which also has some saltiness along with the sweet), but others use Gu or other packets. You should incorporate them into any training run greater than 5 miles so you get used to eating while on the run.

Wear a watch to figure out your pace. To start, work out your average, and then move to keep a more consistent pace throughout the run. You're going to be faster at the start than at the end, but you have to make sure you don't start too strong. Starting a marathon is exciting and the adrenaline will take you to about mile 13, but afterwards it is mentally tough as each mile feels longer than the last.

If you ran a half marathon, you can definitely train and finish a marathon, but it's hard work and you definitely need to take it seriously. I think you have a history of good stick-with-it-ness, so I definitely think you can finish and with a good time.

You really need to train train train. I ran a Marathon and didn't train nearly enough and wound up walking about 9 miles. Which wasn't terrible but I really didn't want to dedicate 3-4 hours every weekend to running, and that bit me.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Thanks guy.

So I'm looking at Hal's plan, and apart from the long runs, the mileage during the week seems a bit lower than what I'm currently running.
    My running schedule usually looks like this:

Tues: 7 Mile Run
    Wed: 30min High Intensity Training
    Thurs: 7 Miles again
    Fri: 30 Min High Intensity
    Sunday: 9-11 Mile run (Texas summer sap my will right now).

If I increase the long run, and one of the weekly runs as mentioned in the plan, will it mess me up?

That actually looks perfect. Just up your Sundays regularly and you'll be doing 20 miles no problem. Honestly, for me the hardest part was staving off boredom. When you're out running for 4 hours every weekend, it gets boring really fast.

You have 6 months to double the Sunday mileage. You won't have any trouble finishing the marathon if you continue to train, but you'll have to have some 20 milers under your belt. Getting to 18-20 miles pushes your body into the bonk zone where you're running out of calories, which is why it's good to practice that shit. It'll get you into the habit of listening to your body, "eating," and drinking.

When I was training, I would do 4-5-4 with no high intensity and weekends would be one 12-18 miler. I did a single 21 miles before the marathon. I should've trained more, but I finished under 5 which is great for a first timer, and I console myself that I was also going through a divorce and a move at the time which made it a little daunting to get out and run by myself (my ex-wife and I had signed up for the marathon together but obviously stopped running together).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh!

don't try anything new on race day. that's a big one. don't try a new tech shirt or vaseline in new places or tape somewhere you haven't tried it, or new shoes- nothing.

your last long distancer before race day should aim to emulate race day conditions exactly.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    This is what I used:

http://www.marathonrookie.com/marathon-training.html

Honestly it sounds like you would already be pretty far into it if you did this, but it's not a bad training schedule.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SunDragonSunDragon Registered User regular
    Since you have already run a half marathon, most of this book may be pointless, but there are a lot of aspects of this book that really helped me get into running.

The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Personally I like the Less is More type training plan. Three times a week running with 2 or 3 cross training days in there. It's much easier on the body, better for recovery, etc.
    Although I've also never done a marathon, jumped from 15k to a 50 miler so I may be wrong.

Either way, page 6 of this is where they actually show a plan although the book they mention on page 1 has much more specific plans.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-8257-0,00.html

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    Hal's program is really great for your first marathon or two--it's what I always recommend. There's also a pretty active forum that he runs, and he will answer training questions if you post them. It's actually pretty amazing how responsive he is, and the rest of the community is really good too.

My biggest recommendation on top of all the other good advise so far is to just make finishing your goal. The marathon is a really crazy distance and you really can't comprehend what it's like until you do it. Don't set a time goal for your first race because it's unreasonable to do so and for your first race just crossing the finish is a huge accomplishment.