As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speakers Not Speaking Properly

The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the wallsMerry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've recently moved house and have just got around to hooking my 7.1 speaker system back up to my PC. However, no sound is coming out of any of the satellite speakers. There is only sound coming from the sub-woofer. I have unplugged and re-plugged, checked and re-checked that the cables are going in to the correct colour coded sockets both on the computer and sub-woofer.

I have tried going into sound options in the control panel and setting the speakers as the default sound device.

When I run the speaker setup in the control panel the "bingley-beep" comes out the of the centre, sub, rear left, and rear right speakers. Nothing comes out of the right, left, side left, or side right.

I've just tried a system restore too but no luck.

Sound through my headset is fine.

I'm running Windows 7 Home 64bit
Speaker system is Creative Inspire T7900
On board sound card

Any ideas?

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
GW2: Tavalisk.9463
The Deranged Hermit on

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    my first guess would be that onboard sound isn't set up for 7.1, but it sounds like the speakers/PC worked previously?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Sounds like a wireing issue, take one of the speakers and plug it in manually to each port on the back and test the appropriate speaker. Make sure the computer is fine. Then start figuring out where the issues are and correct them as you find them. (For starters plug your rear speaker into the front, and run the front test)

• Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    Another option to try would be to re-install the drivers for your sound card, and any software that came with it. I recently had to deal with a very similar problem, and this solved it.

steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    my first guess would be that onboard sound isn't set up for 7.1, but it sounds like the speakers/PC worked previously?

Yeah, the speakers were all working fine before I moved. I've gone in to the control panel and set the audio config to 7.1
    Rderdall wrote: »
    Another option to try would be to re-install the drivers for your sound card, and any software that came with it. I recently had to deal with a very similar problem, and this solved it.

It's on board sound, and I tried hitting the "update drivers" in properties but it tells me that they are up to date.
    Draygo wrote: »
    Sounds like a wireing issue, take one of the speakers and plug it in manually to each port on the back and test the appropriate speaker. Make sure the computer is fine. Then start figuring out where the issues are and correct them as you find them. (For starters plug your rear speaker into the front, and run the front test)

I've unplugged all of the speakers and then tried each one individually plugged in to the "centre" speaker socket and ran a test sound through it and they all emit sound, so the problem isn't with the individual speakers.

I then tried plugging the same speaker (centre one) in to each socket on the back of the sub-woofer and ran the test sound each time. I get sound when it's plugged in to the centre, rear left, and rear right. I get nothing when I plug it in to the right, left, side right, or side left.

I have tested the speaker out sockets on the back and front of my PC with my headset and I get sound through it fine.

Does it sound like the sub-woofer has perhaps got damaged inside and those connections are borked? It suffered no ill treatment I'm aware of in the move, I transported my computer myself rather than trust it to the removal men.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Rderdall wrote: »

It's on board sound, and I tried hitting the "update drivers" in properties but it tells me that they are up to date.

Not saying drivers are your problem, but I can't think of ANY case in which I clicked that button and it actually gave me updated drivers, even if there were definitely updated drivers for that bit of hardware. Sometimes I wonder if that button actually does anything. So, see if you can look up your actual motherboard on the manufacturer's website instead, and download the driver from there (onboard sound is usually from Realtek, as a hint).

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Just manually installed the sound drivers for my mobo. No dice :(