As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPhone 5 announcment today, stay tuned for all nerds posting about it all at once in here

T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATEDNAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
apple-logo.jpggoogle-android-logo.png

Boom Smartphones

We carry around devices in our pockets that are more powerful than the computers that (allegedly) put us on the moon. It's some weird shit to know that hypothetically instead of texting your friend about the size of the omelette you just made using Omelette Maker Pro on your new Zune Phone, you could be blasting monkeys and shit into fucking space.

This is a thread to talk about your smartphones and tablets and sometimes people talk about computers too 'cause you're all archaic and still use those for things.

Did you just get a nifty old Smartphone? Or maybe a new one because getting an old Smartphone would be weird? You're gonna need some apps. The best way to find apps you want is to browse around the App or Play store, and discover neat things. And then post them here because we all like nice apps (for example if you find an app about blasting monkeys and shit into space please let me know). But if you're lazy or starved for neat things, you can look in these spoilers at some apps we like.

Mouse over the icons for descriptions. Clicking them will take you to their page in whatever store they belong in so you can set them to download to your devices!

iOS
kxgcQ.png
Z9Cvb.jpgwNo3Q.jpgD0N5r.jpgXBDPo.jpgXnREO.jpg
lZjh4.jpgh7XZb.jpghklsq.jpg8zTsx.jpgtskyz.jpg

I am in the middle of making this OP super cool which means there are no android apps here yet because I don't feel like adding the icons and stuff tonight and I won't stand for sub-par appearance. I'll add it in later or something I promise.

Sent from my iPhone

T4CT on

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    whoa whoa whoa

if my phone shit on my chest that'd be a feature

for real though, don't be installing the Jellybean rom that's floating around

it's a port from the leaked GSM version

aka guesswork

just wait till the source code drops legit this month and groups that don't suck farts can work on it

Buttlord on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah, computers are awesome. Ain't never going to not want one, smart phones aren't that great.

JtgVX0H.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    The first social streaming media player?

What in the sam heck does that even mean?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    (covert PC supremacy thread)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Only thing PCs are good for is streaming media to ky consoles and playing YouTube videos that my iPad won't.

• ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Only thing PCs are good for is streaming media to ky consoles and playing YouTube videos that my iPad won't.

RRrIt.jpg

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Hurray my favorite thread returns

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I lost one rubber tip on my earphones

this is the worst.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

this is the worst.

can't you get those for like, very cheap?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    it is midnight o clock fuck you

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If I was on a PC I would have made that typo.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    it is midnight o clock fuck you

Use one of the other sizes then?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    So.... Chrome has auto correct, which h doesn't work nicely with SwiftKey 3
    Where do I disable that?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    So.... Chrome has auto correct, which h doesn't work nicely with SwiftKey 3
    Where do I disable that?

that explains why the forums shit themselves on my gnex

rip gnex uno 1/22/12 - 7/3/12

I am on vacation I did not bring more sizes with me!

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*

this is the worst.

Me too! Sucks so bad. I had to mow the lawn with only one monitor in, which was literally the worst thing of all time, ever

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    Nexus 7 looks so good. I'm not sure I can resist buying it for more than like, a month after it comes out. I already have a 7" Android tablet, but in all fairness it's a shitty MIPs based one that a) will only run about 10% of the android software out there without excessive amounts of fuckaboutery and b) runs like ass when it actually does work.

So yeah, nexus looks like a good step up from that. Especially if you can get a decent keyboard case for it, it'll be like a little laptop I can carry everywhere.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    my earphones got kinda soaked last night, I hope they still work

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    Should be fine as logn as you dry them out thoroughly before trying to use them. Most electronics are suprisingly resiliant to water if they're unpowered and allowed to thorougly dry out before power is reapplied.

Tef wrote: »

this is the worst.

Me too! Sucks so bad. I had to mow the lawn with only one monitor in, which was literally the worst thing of all time, ever

I am having to use full size headphones

lying down, in bed

I am so uncomfortable.

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    god

24 more hours till my new gnex gets here

fuck this is painful

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ok, what is the difference between the green and blue message colors? Because my phone does both. Some people get blue, others get green, and I have no idea how the phone chooses who gets what.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Ok, what is the difference between the green and blue message colors? Because my phone does both. Some people get blue, others get green, and I have no idea how the phone chooses who gets what.

are you using an iPhone?

Blue means the person you're messaging also is using an iPhone, so the message is sent using Apple's iMessage service (using data connection - 3G or wifi) and doesn't count as a text message for either person's plan. Green means the person you're messaging doesn't have an iPhone, so it's sent as a regular text message.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Does it matter what gen it is? I ask because I have a 3GS and my sister has a 4 and she gets the green. I don't know if she has AT&T though. Does that matter?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Does it matter what gen it is? I ask because I have a 3GS and my sister has a 4 and she gets the green. I don't know if she has AT&T though. Does that matter?

It might mean she hasn't updated her software to iOS 5; if she hasn't updated it since she bought it then it doesn't have iMessage functionality yet.

edited July 2012

The blue people are more handsome and more worthy if your time.

Blake T on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Pfft, people should use Whatsapp. Text messaging is fo' suckas.
    I still use text messaging because not everyone uses Whatsapp. They all should though.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So my 3GS is finally carking it, which has also aligned with my current contract expiring, so that works out well and it looks like I'm up for a new phone.

I'm way out of the loop with the latest stuff.

iPhones kind of look the same still I guess.

I keep seeing Samsung Galaxies all over the place or something. What can/can't Android phones do these days that iPhones can/can't?

well, the iPhone 5 isn't out yet so no one knows really how different it'll be

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If you can wait a few more months, I'd hold out for iPhone 5 announcement, if only to see if it's worth staying in the iOS ecosystem.

Abracadaniel on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So I've been using Chrome for iOS and it is the best, but I am dumb and can't figure out what all the gesture tricks are

6F32U1X.png
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Hurray my favorite thread returns

Aw you made me blush

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    hey guys

what should I do

drop some bank on a maxxed out RMBP, drop less bank on a lower end RMBP or regular MBP, or drop significantly less bank on a MBA.

My reasons for wanting one:

My powerbook G4 (circa 2003) is on its last legs, the screen hasn't worked for a while and it's having problems booting up, and I want to keep something OSX running
    I want the portability
    I want to play WoW and maybe some other games on it, but nothing too intensive
    I also Do Work on my G4 currently
    portability

I'm slightly leaning towards either RMBP option because of the dual thunderbolt ports. It will allow a bit more expand-ability for future use, and I'm hoping to get a good amount of years out of this thing (shit my G4 has been kicking it for almost a decade). At this point I'm thinking of waiting until the fall to purchase one, since it seems like whenever I spend Big Dollars, something else tends to break and I'm sitting with a nice chunk of credit debt for a while.

zucchini on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    is it raining outside?

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Is my new Roomba cool for this thread? He is the coolest and hungriest little robot.

Except when he wakes me up on my day off. Noisy dirt suckin punk.

steam_sig.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Maybe don't max it out, but definitely spring for a decently powered machine. The more money you spend, the more likely your machine will have a longer lifespan.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    yeah I wouldn't max out a rmbp because Damn

honestly it depends what work you're doing

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Maybe don't max it out, but definitely spring for a decently powered machine. The more money you spend, the more likely your machine will have a longer lifespan.

Yeah, I just know there's a definite line in the sand between OK and Uuh, really?

Like, 2.6 vs 2.7... I know there are a bunch of other differences between the chip architecture or whatever, but is .1ghz worth $300? Probably not.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    My HTC Radar just went bye-bye.

Or rather, it keeps going bye-bye, turning itself off intermittently. No idea what caused it, I haven't been rough with it, haven't dropped it, no nothing.

It was immediately noticeable though, because damn if I haven't become completely dependent on this thing. Getting it replaced is going to suck.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    you can max out a retina MBP at like 5000 dollars or something stupid

don't do that

Tossrock on
    sig.png
This discussion has been closed.