As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Really bad fatigue...

DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, for the last week or so I have been incredibly fatigued. I have been sleeping a bit more (usually like 6 hours, this week 8-10) and just cant seem to shake it. I have a minor headache and some tightness in my nose/face. I am hoping its just bad sinus stuff, but the fatigue is killing me. I am incredibly irritable because of it and just cant do stuff for more then an hour or two before it kicks in and I feel like I need to go lay down.

I had mono about two years back, and the fatigue reminds me a lot of that, but then I also had a really nasty throat infection and some other symptoms. If it is a sinus infection, is there anything I can do to fight the fatigue? Should I schedule an appointment with my doctor just over feeling tired and fatigued? Its not to the point where I cant function in society, but it definitely makes me wish I didnt have to.

Should I try to wait it out a few more days? Is there anything I can do to feel less crappy? Or should I just try to see a doctor ASAP?

616610-1.png
Disrupter on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sleep deprivation could be a cause if you usually sleep 6 hours. I'd still schedule an appointment, a battery of lab tests wouldn't hurt.

If you feel tired, rest. Your body isn't trying to trick you or be a dick, it's doing it for a reason, best not to "fight it because that's not my routine." That just exacerbates things.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I havent been fighting it, ive been sleeping a lot more this week. Its not just being tired though, its this fogginess, draining feeling that gets me. Like its a bit harder to communicate ideas in my head because of it and I seem to have an increased temper (i guess "crabby" is the right word?).

I have had this feeling in spurts before, like if the weather is crap and my migrains flair up and I havent eaten much that day. But this is ongoing and the extra sleep seems to be a temporary fix at best. Like if I take a nap, Ill feel ok for an hour or so, but then the fatigue sets back in.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Thyroid problems can make you exhausted like this. If you're tired enough that's its beginning to interfere with your day on a regular basis, then that's definitely a reason to see a doctor.

• Options
    Yeah. Diabetes is a thing. Diet plays a roll too to some degree.

I'd say it's doctor time.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    I would definitely go to the doctor but this is how I felt when I got Mono.

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Lyme disease can have this same affect. With the mild winter we got here, the tick population is out of control .

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Yeah, I had mono, and it felt a TON like this. I read that it can come back since the virus never leaves you. Before, when I had it, I had more "cold" like symptoms as well, flem, nasty sore throat etc. I actually thought It was strep. But, I was fatigued for weeks before those other symtpoms hit.

So my fear is, mono is back and Im just in the few week fatigue before the other symptoms. That would not be good, especially since I have a 9 month old baby who I dont want to remotely get sick.

I will definitely schedule a doctors appointment. Hope its not mono again. It wasnt too bad last time, but killed my social life.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Mono is a dick, worst fucking week and a half of my life. I felt like I was dying.

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    It could be a lot of things, vitamin deficiency, low iron in your blood, internal bleeding, and that's just best case scenerio stuff assuming it's not Mono coming back to bite you. Get to the MD asap. Could be nothing and you pay the Doc for him to tell you to drink fluid and get plenty of rest. Could be something serious and he saves your life in the nick of time ala House. In the meantime, take your vitamins and drink plenty of water because that really couldn't hurt.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    I have a doctors appointment for tomorrow at 4, so thats nice that they were able to get me in so quick. Got permission from my boss to get out early. Basically told him I think I might have mono since I had it before and it feels a lot like this. Then warned him that nobody in the office should make out with me. The information is out there now, so if anyone does, its on them, not me.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    I got mono because someone sneezed on me. Worst way to get mono ever.

• Options
    I honestly have no idea how I got it originally. If its back now, I assume it just resurfaced since I dont think I can "re-catch" it. Whats strange is my wife never caught it even though we didnt take any precautions to prevent her from doing so.

616610-1.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    Do you have....i don't know how to phrase this politely.....a craving for.....brains or other human flesh?

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Besides all of the more serious things, it could also be something as simple as your body is fighting a mild virus. Fatigue is often a symptom, and many of those other symptoms you've mentioned also fit the bill of some of the mild viruses I've picked up in the past. Extra sleep and lots of fluids tend to take care of things in these cases. Hopefully your doctor is able to clear things up.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Wait, you have a 9 month old and you're wondering why you're tired?

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Wait, you have a 9 month old and you're wondering why you're tired?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to make that connection.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Its not just being tired. Being tired is normal, this isnt a tiredness. This is a lost in a fog, dizzy, muscles feel weak, headache all day situation. Plus, a 9 month old isnt half as bad as a 1-6 month old. She actually sleeps through the night for a few months now. If she was the cause of this, it wouldnt be springing up for the last 2 weeks. It would have been a lot sooner.

Oddly enough, my baby slept a ton this weekend too. And shes been super clingy and a bit more cranky than usual the last couple weeks. Part of me thinks she has what I have, but being a baby, doesnt know how to communicate it. She seemed ok Sunday though, but if she seems sick this week we are getting her to the dr pronto (called on sat, but they werent open).

I had assumed I was just fighting something off, but usually that only lasts 3-5 days when it happens. This has been going on for over two weeks now.

I went to the doctor on friday, ran some tests, took some blood. Its not strep, thats what I know so far. If it is my Mono resurging, they wont be able to confirm it since I will test positive no matter what. All the normal stuff looks good. But my sinuses are swollen and my throat is pretty red. They have me some nasal spray stuff to help my sinuses. I actually felt pretty good yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks. We will see if that trend continues or i just didnt notice much because I didnt have to move at all on Sunday.

Feeling pretty meh this morning, but thats rather typical as I am not a morning person. We will see how the day goes. Should get my blood test results back today or tomorrow.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Did you get a swollen pancreas last time with mono? Press on it to see if it's not tender. That's usually a sign of mono. Most kids get mono too, they don't get it the same way you would get it later in life though. It's mostly just the "ugh sick" and then they act as carriers the rest of their life.

bowen on
  • Options
    puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    I found the glands in my throat got super swollen, almost like giant peanuts. My pancreas, however, was fine.

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    I got it all, it was the fucking pits. First thing I noticed was my pancreas. I worked at UPS at the time and uh, I did a grand total of 200 boxes that night as a loader. Felt like my left side was going to blow up. Pretty much was.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you baby is probably just teething. we are going through the same thng and ours is almost 10 months

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    At the doctor they pushed on my sides and lower abdomin quite a bit without any sort of tenderness. There was a bit of pain on my right lower side one time, but it seemed flukey and not reproducable.

As for the teething, thats entirely possible. She has a good amount of teeth though and weve been through it a few times and shes normally not so tired and in-need of constant physical attention. Dont get me wrong, a sleepy cuddly baby is awesome, I could spend all day laying on the couch with her napping on me, but it just makes me a bit worried.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I've run into an issue with a virus that I was fighting off, where I kept on getting the fatigue coming back if I didn't actually take almost a whole week off to heal up. I'd feel a bit better, go back to work and then relapse. It could be something worse, or it could be an issue of not rebounding as quickly as you have in the past. Hopefully the doctor will be able to help you find the solution.

• Options
    Well, my blood and thyroid levels look fine. So there isnt much the doctor can do. If its mono, they cant really tell me since I already have the virus. If my symptoms dont get better in a couple weeks, I need to go back.

I have had a day or so where Ive felt pretty decent, which makes me think its not mono. The headache is a lot less intense now, so maybe tis clearing up. Im hoping it was just a bad sinus infection and the nasal spray is helping. Hard to tell for sure. But I think the really bad stuff has been ruled out based on my test results. So its either a mono resurgence or something simpler that I am just not fighting off like I normally do.

616610-1.png