As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lawn darts. The lethal kind.

HevachHevach Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Last night I was doing one last sweep of the basement and attic for a garage sale, and I found a set of the old steel tipped Jarts. Never knew they were in there, they were tucked into a pile of old clothes that's been up there decaying since before I was born. Full set - four darts, two spare wings, the hoop, original box in reasonably decent condition. My question, is this something I can sell with a clean police record? Hell, is it something I can even HAVE? I know they were banned from retail like forty years ago.

Hevach on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah why not? They took them off the market because people are dumb.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    They are not allowed to be sold at retail (or the laws became so strict that it's not worth it for manufacturers). But there's no law against possessing them, or selling used ones.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Well, there's this that might give you some pause.
    In particular:
    Under federal law, it is illegal to attempt to sell or resell this or any other recalled product.
    That might just apply to actual retailers though, I'm not a lawyer. Even if it does apply to you, I imagine the worse that would happen is they'd be confiscated and you'd see the cops playing with them at their next picnic.
    Personally, I think the bigger question is would you hold any liability for what happened with them after you sold them?

see317 on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    can you show up to your local scrapyard and just donate the metal bits?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    In particular:
    Under federal law, it is illegal to attempt to sell or resell this or any other recalled product.
    That might just apply to actual retailers though, I'm not a lawyer. Even if it does apply to you, I imagine the worse that would happen is they'd be confiscated and you'd see the cops playing with them at their next picnic.
    Personally, I think the bigger question is would you hold any liability for what happened with them after you sold them?

actually, that link leads me to think it doesn't matter if one is a retailer or just an individual person. there would have been an explicit distinction otherwise. OP might not ever be actually prosecuted for it, but the risk is simply not worth it.

the fact that the CPSC made it unlawful to sell lawn darts at all would also be strong evidence in a negligence suit against the OP.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    see317 wrote: »
    In particular:

actually, that link leads me to think it doesn't matter if one is a retailer or just an individual person. there would have been an explicit distinction otherwise. OP might not ever be actually prosecuted for it, but the risk is simply not worth it.

the fact that the CPSC made it unlawful to sell lawn darts at all would also be strong evidence in a negligence suit against the OP.

This was my takeaway from the link too. Not worth $5, they'll go to the scrap yard with the sheet aluminum and copper from the shed.

Hevach on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Why not keep them as a collectors item? Like the people that still have old Pintos and other dangerous devices?

Get a display for the set or something and put it up somewhere?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I'd mount them on the wall of your gameroom with the heads of some dolls.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I'd mount them on the wall of your gameroom with the heads of some dolls.

This! Oh my god this!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697