As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing a hard drive, there are problems.

BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm trying to install another hard drive to my pc, specifically it's a 250gb Western Digital SATA drive model wdc wd2500js-22mhb0. Now I've alreday got an old IDE drive installed which could be the problem.

The problem is that while Bios and Device Manager both recognise that the drive is there, the rest of Windows doesn't. I can't access the drive from anywhere. Anybody got any suggestions?

steam_sig.png
BigDes on

• Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Check the jumpers to see if it's set to slave if it's a slave.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mixing IDE and SATA drives spell trouble. Thats all I really know on the subject, unfortunately.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Mixing IDE and SATA drives spell trouble. Thats all I really know on the subject, unfortunately.

Shh don't say that.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    I'm trying to install another hard drive to my pc, specifically it's a 250gb Western Digital SATA drive model wdc wd2500js-22mhb0. Now I've alreday got an old IDE drive installed which could be the problem.

The problem is that while Bios and Device Manager both recognise that the drive is there, the rest of Windows doesn't. I can't access the drive from anywhere. Anybody got any suggestions?

Have you formatted the drive yet?

Right click on My Computer > Manage. Choose Disc Management in the left column. Right click on the new disc and choose initialize drive.

Graphics and stuff

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »

Right click on My Computer > Manage. Choose Disc Management in the left column. Right click on the new disc and choose initialize drive.

Graphics and stuff

No I hadn't. I'm an idiot.

Thank you.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »

Graphics and stuff

No I hadn't. I'm an idiot.

Thank you.

No worries. I recently installed a second SATA drive myself, which is really the only reason I know about it.

Jragghen on