As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New car alarm beeper thing

MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
About eight months ago I bought a 2000 Toyota Celica off of someone on Craigslist. It only came with one key and car alarm thing (I have no idea what the actual name for these is). I went to the dealership to ask about getting another one made because it's nice to have backups and their estimate was something like $160, which seems ridiculous to me.

I do have an extra one of those things from my old Honda Civic lying around. Could I potentially save money by having someone change the old one I have to match my current car or is that silly? And is the dealer my only real option here or is there a better/cheaper place to get it done? I have seen mall kiosks that offer to do it but I have no idea how reputable this is.

Melinoe on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If you want a new remote then the dealer is usually your only option.

If you had a previous model Toyota you might be able to get it changed by the dealer for a smaller fee but I can't imagine being able to change a Honda one.

I suppose theoretically a real electronics whiz could pull out the circuitry and make it work, but I have no idea if doing so would be legal or even possible.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    If you want a new remote then the dealer is usually your only option.

Untrue, you can easily clone a fob with the right tools/a cloner.

Overwriting the honda fob is a no go unfortunately, most mall kiosks clone to a new fob or to a cloner fob.

iRevert on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    if its a factory alarm system, third party FOBs with (usually pretty simple) instructions are all over the net. iirc a late 90s firebird was like 49 bucks per

Organichu on
  • Options
    Hmm ok. Only reason I asked about the Honda one was because it doesn't actually say Honda on it so I thought it might have been a third party thing that the previous owner of that car got made. I probably should have mentioned this in the OP but it was late.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    You can ask for a valet key, which is basically just the key itself without any of the fancy keyless entry stuff. Should be a lot cheaper.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    If it's a 2000 there's a chance there's no additional electronics in the car key itself, so it may be as easy as just getting a copy made. The keyfob is a separate thing anyway. Does your key look like a normal key?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    I already had a copy of the key made, mostly used for instances in which the normal key gets locked in the car. The keyfob and key are completely separate, and the keyfob is the thing I want a copy of in case the one I have gets lost or whatever.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    does the key fob look like this?
    Dj9hP.jpg

if so it's the one for the stock (factory) keyless entry, and you can easily add a new one

just go to amazon/ebay/wherever and buy one for about $30-40... it'll come with programming instructions like this:
    Start with the key out of the ignition. Open the driver door (all other doors are closed).
    Driver door is unlocked (other doors don't matter).

A. Perform these steps within 5 seconds
    Insert the key into the ignition (don't turn it) Pull key out
    Insert the key into the ignition (don't turn it) Pull key out

B. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
    Close, then open the drivers door.
    Insert the key into the ignition (don't turn it) and pull it out.

(Right here I'm confused, do I wait for 40 seconds to try part C? Or do I have to do both B and C within 40 seconds?)
    C.Perform these steps within 40 seconds
    Insert the key into the ignition and leave in the ignition.
    Close the drivers door
    Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without cranking the engine), then back to off .
    Remove the key from the ignition.

Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating
    successful entry into programming mode, at this point according to one customer that
    had a 2003 model, the alarm sounds until you complete the programming of the remote

Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

Perform these steps within 40 seconds
    Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1.5 seconds
    Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by
    itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock then unlock
    once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps
    6a and 6b as the remote was not accepted.

Open drivers door

more info here:
    http://www.toyotacelicas.com/forums/97-misc/41945-00-05-celica-gt-keyless-entry.html

for future reference, a car model/year specific forum will get you the correct answer within a few minutes of searching

• Options
    Yep, that's exactly what it looks like. Thank you so much! I will do this as soon as I am able.