As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Using a new oven for the first time.

GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm currently doing the first 'burn' of a new oven, the whole firing it for X amount of minutes at max heat to burn off whatever residue and funky stuff might be in there, keeping the room very well ventilated and all.

But when can/should I then use the oven to actually cook food? Does it need to, I don't know, air out for a while?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
Grislo on

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I used my new oven pretty much that day without any sort of burn off period. I just made sure I stripped all the plastic and cardboard out of the interior. It worked fine, but now that I read your post.

Did I give myself cancer?

Michelanvalo on
  • Options
    I doubt it, and it's probably a thing where the manufacturer just needs to be super sure that there isn't something there that might possibly cause a minor problem on the first real use, covering their asses kind of thing.

There is a bit of residue from whatever getting burned off in mine, though. Bit of smoke and a delightful smell.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Edit: You know what, never mind, I should not give advice on things I know nothing about! Maybe machine oil is super toxic.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd imagine whatever the box says to do is all you need to do. If it doesn't say "let sit for 2 weeks before use" then you're probably fine.

I've never heard of the pre-use burn before?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yeah, I wasn't really familiar with that either, but it seems to actually have been a good idea with that particular oven.

I suppose it's basically a shorter version of a longer 'burn-to-clean' that some ovens have.

But I'm pretty sure* it wouldn't have killed me not to do it.

*As in, 100%.