As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain's log, Stardate 20130527 Romulan expansion is now live. [STO]

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    So I stopped playing just before season 5 began and I decided to see whats new. I tried the 2nd wave mission 4 times and it never registered as being completed so couldn't carry on with the story. Then I tried one of the new fleet actions where you defend a starbase from waves of klingons and failed that because we didn't destroy them in time. Then I had a look at the Fleet starbase and spent ages trying to remember how to see how well I doing when it comes to gearing up STF equipment turns out Im not doing well I think.
    Then the server came down for maintenance. Luckily because I have no clue what I should be doing anymore!
    Also Lockboxes, whats up with them I thought they were only at the christmas event.

Second Wave has occasionally been finnicky. More than occasionally since season 6 for some reason.

The new fleet actions are still a bit bad in the public queues. Sounds like you did Fleet Alert, which is the least bad of them, but it's a straight DPS race, and a lot of people are terribad at DPS. Blockade Run is probably one of the worst in the public queue, since it's not about DPS at all, but crowd control (if everyone has tractor beam repulsors and uses them well, you can sweep the whole mission and never kill a single enemy).

To check how you're doing STF gear wise, the STF store is at the Omega Force office on DS9, you can check there.

The Christmas event was the first test flight of them. They've changed them each time, the Cardassian boxes putting keys in the store and the boxes in drops, the Ferengi box adding secondary rewards with the Lobi store and getting rid of the crappier junk, and now the Tholian boxes adding second prize ships and upping the junk value a bit more.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    shanis wrote: »
    I wish I could contribute to the starbase right now, but the hotel internet doesn't allow it. I would give fleet marks so hard.

There will be many a chance to donate. Trust me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Small Dev Diary today.
    25 years ago was the start of a new era of Trek, and that first season of The Next Generation laid the groundwork for all the amazing things to come in the post-TOS era. We wanted to give players a nice treat on the 25th Anniversary of that first season. For that we chose a free Season 1 TNG Uniform. To spice it up a bit, we added Worf’s Season 1 baldric and his signature hair and goatee. Why Worf? Worf represented the new world for Trek that began that first season. A universe where enemies of old could work together, a galaxy where there were still discoveries to be made, and a hope for the future of the series.

From now until around 10am PDT on Tuesday, July 24th, to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation, we’re running an in-game promotion where you can unlock free, special costume options for your characters*. Open your Mission Journal (default key “J”) to accept a mini-mission that will ask you to go to speak with Worf in the Holodeck of either Starfleet or Klingon Academy. Complete this mission and unlock the following rewards:

Federation male and female characters - TNG Season 1 Uniform

Klingon and Federation male characters that have hair options - Worf’s short hair and warrior goatee from TNG Season 1

Klingon and Federation male and female characters - Worf’s TNG Season 1 style Uniform Sash

This is not an account-wide unlock. You’ll need to speak to Worf on each of the characters that you would like to unlock these costume options on.

• Options
    tiballaghertiballagher Ringer Team Tossgirl(s)TMRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    DS9 sort of answered this, and wrapped in a canon reason why 90% of most crews appeared to be human. Starfleet was actually pretty segregated until after the Dominion War. Most ships were 80%+ one species (sometimes up to 100% like that Vulcan ship that the DS9 guys played baseball with), and usually named in that species language. Presumably fleet groups and inter ship missions were arranged with this in mind, too, because with a few exceptions all encounters between the mostly-human title ships were with mostly- or all-human guest ships.

The Titan books put an end to that - the Titan was the test ship for a more integrated Starfleet, it even had a significant nonhumanoid crew and not just species that pretty much looked human. STO seems to follow from the Titan line minus Destiny, and ships now are pretty diverse. I think I counted it up once and I have 36 species serving on my main's ship.

Thanks for the explanation, and 36 species is pretty awesome. If I wasn't such a dilithium miser (saving up for TOS bundle) I'd have spent a fair amount on converting my doffs to be all blue/purple-skinned aliens.

11486-1.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm putting my whole crew in 1st season TNG uniforms. Does it come with the skant for men as well as women?

Now I'm thinking of remaking my SciCaptain to be a Fed Klingon to take advantage of that hair and beard. He's only level 11 so it wouldn't be that big of a loss. I'd do my Tac Captain but he is almost VA.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Don't think there's male skirts. I like that the sash works on any race and with any uniform, but the one Feds get doesn't work on KDF uniforms. It would work so well on my Gornzilla.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Now all they need to add is Crusher's Lab coat over a uniform and I'd be set for life.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I don't understand why it isn't an account wide unlock, but cool nonetheless.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    I don't understand why it isn't an account wide unlock, but cool nonetheless.

Eh it literally takes two seconds.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    I like the little gifts they throw us now and then, like this and the nice Vulcan clone Doff from the recent Fri 13th mission.

Oh and Tholian boxes are decent I feel. Nothing in there that made me feel ripped off for the 10 boxes I opened. Nice purple DoFF, doff packs, opposed faction ship console and Mirror ship. Rather spiffing compared to the Ferengi stuff.

• Options
    I like how the Carrier is in the Lobi store.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    I thought this was cool, and worth crossposting from SA. For anyone interested in a decent sample size:
    Lorak wrote:
    Tribble test info: 2000 boxes opened
    Type	Quant
    Box	2000
    Orb	5
    Star	38
    Ass	47
    Console	75
    TetWep	303
    5KFP	316
    25KFP	154
    ThoDof	161
    Gam	366
    Rein	525
    Lobi	10810

Phased Tetryon Weapons have 2 [XXX] procs, and are bind on equip, not pickup.

EDIT: Opened 180 on Holodeck, got two Orbs. :V

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    I got a phased tetryon dual heavy cannon and a purple tholian doff.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    TNG uniforms?

Welp, know what I'm doing tonight.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    So lets see if i got this straight. I can buy the tholian boxes for Dilithium. But to see whats in them I need to buy a master key off the c-store using zen points?

• Options
    You don't have to buy the boxes themselves. They drop alongside other loot from enemies.

• Options
    They drop pretty damn fast too.

• Options
    They're rarer than the last couple ones, but, yeah, they're still pretty common. I didn't get one at the end of an STF like before, but they are listed on all the mission replays.

• Options
    I got six of them on my LT just doing the PJem mission.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just started playing this.

My char is named Chal, he's a Trill Tactical Officer.

• Options
    Welcome aboard. I'm sorry the Miranda class sucks so badly at everything. It doesn't last forever. Just feels like forever.

• Options
    Thanks, I'll see about joining the Fleet sometime this weekend.

Me and clawshrimpy got about halfway through the Lackey system mission on advanced :P

I figure we should have just done it on normal.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think I just finished that mission, along with all the non-pvp missions from K7 and Memory Alpha and I just hit LCDR. Of course I also did some PvE fleet actions for bonus xp and Fleet Marks during those bonus hours.

Also, I kinda like those little mini-events.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    The game keeps crashing for me for some reason... :(

• Options
    Try playing with settings - some video cards have issues with STO's lighting and shadow settings.

That failing, in the launcher turn on the "force verify" option and check for corrupted files (which can happen after patches).

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Also I forgot whats the best/quickest way to get Dilithium and whats the limit on how much you can refine a day - 700o?
    Other than selling Zen on the exchange. Would it be doing the daily missions. Because I noticed that those fun new fleet missions didnt give me any and im trying to save enough that I can buy me a tier 5 Akira.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Also I forgot whats the best/quickest way to get Dilithium and whats the limit on how much you can refine a day - 700o?
    Other than selling Zen on the exchange. Would it be doing the daily missions. Because I noticed that those fun new fleet missions didnt give me any and im trying to save enough that I can buy me a tier 5 Akira.
    I thought it was 8000 a day, could be wrong though.
    As for the fastest way, there's a daily mission to investigate 2 captain's reports (the user made missions), if you pick the right mission you can do all three in a few minutes. Look for "Inspect the console" or something along those lines.
    Other then that, uncharted zone explorations pay out pretty well. With luck they go pretty fast too.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Quick tip for people making new characters and not having played in a while. Patrol missions still exist. They do no have the mission wrapper from Stafleet anymore. Basically just fly to each star system in a sector block. If it comes up with a patrol button when you get close have at it. They don't give items as rewards anymore, but after the patrol, when you contact Starfleet they give a fucking boatload of XP.

Super good way to gain rank fast. I started this LT and did the Azura mission and the Vulcan mission then just the Sirius Sector Block Patrol stuff. Already grade 9 and I still have several more systems to patrol in this block.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    The Tactical DO-Assignment Officer for the ADF-Base should be active by tomorrow. Likewise, we should meet the upgrade quota for Science tomorrow as well. We'll need to build the Communications Array before we can build the Transwarp Gate. Here's what we'll need for both according to STO-Wiki.
    Communications Array - 540 Fleet Marks, 32,400 Dilithium, 24 Science or Medical Duty Officers, 1500 [Communication Arrays], 805 [Shield Generators], 175 [Astrometric Probes]

Transwarp Gate - 900 Fleet Marks, 15,750 Dilithium, 20 Astrometrics Duty Officers, 2 [Particle Traces], 1,200 [Industrial Energy Cells], 250 [Seismic Stabilizers]

• Options
    I might have those partical traces...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    Managed to get on this afternoon on my crappy hotel internet and play a few laggy fleet missions, so I made some contributions!

Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    I can't help but wonder why the gate needs Seismic Stabilizers for other then maybe making sure it doesn't come apart when something big comes down the pipe.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Those requirements aren't bad at all. Also before anyone dumps their own traces in, just go grab ones from the crafting tab in the fleet bank. There are more there then anyone ever needs.

I really hope the Doff officers on the Starbase give unique assignments. Otherwise I will be sad.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited July 2012
    A question about the Doff system. Do they make new missions or are the ones currently in game the same as those at release?

It would be nice to have a few new ones slipping in with each major release. Certainly I expected to see some Tholian related Doff activities beyond the box duty officers.

Oh and the base is looking better. It doesn't now look like a ramshackle mess that would eject the user into space when they flush the toilet.

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    I just wish it listed everything available. Ok you have Sector and Personal, fine.
    But why do I have to click on every single department head to get their missions? Can't those be lumped together somewhere?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    A question about the Doff system. Do they make new missions or are the ones currently in game the same as those at release?

It would be nice to have a few new ones slipping in with each major release. Certainly I expected to see some Tholian related Doff activities beyond the box duty officers.

Oh and the base is looking better. It doesn't now look like a ramshackle mess that would eject the user into space when they flush the toilet.

The Doff system itself wasn't in the game at release. They have been adding new doff missions I believe the Caitian chain is the newest but I could be wrong.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Since I don't play that much I'll try to login sometime and dump all my excess to the fleet.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I finally found the missions to recruit more Doffs. It will be nice to slowly build up from my 40 Doffs to 100.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    The Tactical DO Officer's up and on the Tactical deck and the Communications Array project is up for resource donations. Donate today so that the sooner it's done, the sooner we get to the Transwarp Gate project.

• Options
    Has anyone much experience of PvP in STO? I've dabbled in other MMO games and enjoyed it but the disparity in numbers between Klingon and Fed seem like a problem. I would like to try it out once my Klingon reaches 50.

Is a BoP refitviable or a death sentence?

Is PvP fun or an insta kill "ur a n00b" fest?

Any advice welcomed!